AVG free edition

jock paul
20th April 2007, 19:08
Help!!! I have changed over from dialup to broadband and in the process lost AVG free adition. Get message, 'Could not initiate AVG kernel interface". It suggests uninstall then reinstall and I've been 6 hours trying to do it! All (polite) suggestions will be gratefully received. At he moment i am worried about running without an anti-virus. Thanks, Jock.

treeve
20th April 2007, 19:20
Have you kept the original downloaded exe file from AVG?

treeve
20th April 2007, 19:29
If you have then you will have to uninstall everything, and check through the directory and erase everything, and get rid of all references in the Registry.
Then re-install. If you have any old references it will foul up. It also depends if you run the show as overall monitoring or just (as I do ) to check it out every few days; the firewall should be preventing script having a go, but it depends what has been inadvertantly loaded. The problem is that if you don't have the original, you will have to re-download it, and then download the updated virus definitions etc, immediately afterwards. It is always key not to have your preview window open in outlook Express (or any other mail handler).

Lifeboat1721
20th April 2007, 19:48
Try this link

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/31/us/crp/0?prd=isw

And Download Windows 7.5 that is all I did when I changed to broadband

Ian

jock paul
21st April 2007, 19:44
Thanks to you both for your assistance, but it still won't download properly. I hav tried to install 4 times today with no success. Will try again when it's not looking! In the meantime I have downloaded Window Defender to keep things healthy. Again, thanks for your input, cheers, Jock.

John Rogers
22nd April 2007, 02:47
I dont think Windows Defender is a Anti Virus program.
John.

treeve
22nd April 2007, 04:34
Defender is an anti ad program -
much better to get Adaware and Spybot S&D.
Even better, stop the ads on webpages even being loaded at all,
by making use of your HOSTS file.

jock paul
22nd April 2007, 19:44
EUREKA!! I have managed to reinstall, now working perfectly. Full Away, all O.K. Got detailed instructions for uninstall etc. from http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?2,28206,backpage=,sv= Thanks again for assistance, Jock.

treeve
22nd April 2007, 23:44
Excellente!!