MAR Course London

Fraserbetts
22nd April 2007, 09:07
I was on this course '65 holed up at the "stack of bricks". Local pub opposite was the ......... (cant remember). Highlights = a pub crawl from the top of the Commercial road drinking a half pint of Watneys (yuch) in every pub that fronted onto the main road, I think about 24 in all. Remember getting to know a horse trough somewhere around nine pints. Course was great, everything from atomic energy (from a professor at Harwell) to some of the best chinky food in the area. Three months; not wasted but wish I could remember some of the guys on the course?

John Cassels
22nd April 2007, 09:19
See previous thread on this subject.
Pub across the road was the "Coopers Arms".

When were you there ?. I was from January '65.

JC

John Hunter
22nd April 2007, 21:07
I was there in 1968.............great 3 months. Dont know how we managed all the drinking on cadets pay. Also remember doing my lifeboat ticket while there at St Catherins dock, now a posh marina!!!! I also managed to sneak home most weekends to see my girlfriend in Sunderland..........only caught once in 3 months and had to do a detention on a Sunday..it was worth it
John

Fraserbetts
25th April 2007, 03:31
See previous thread on this subject.
Pub across the road was the "Coopers Arms".

When were you there ?. I was from January '65.

JC

Hi John, cant remember and my first wife trashed all my books/records etc of my time at sea. I think it was '66. Yes, the Coopers, ah what a pub; they dont come like that any more. I seem to remember a half pint of mild was about 6d. We clubbed together to buy an old 'Dormobile' van which became our common mode of transport. If you were there I'm sure you'll remember that. It lasted just about the three months.

John Cassels
25th April 2007, 09:00
Hi John, cant remember and my first wife trashed all my books/records etc of my time at sea. I think it was '66. Yes, the Coopers, ah what a pub; they dont come like that any more. I seem to remember a half pint of mild was about 6d. We clubbed together to buy an old 'Dormobile' van which became our common mode of transport. If you were there I'm sure you'll remember that. It lasted just about the three months.

The dormobile rings very loud bells. It was the BP lads who clubbed together
to buy the thing. Still remember driving down the Mall holding on for dear life.

The bells were so loud that I checked the disch.book and it was indeed Jan.
1966 that I was there so looks like we were there together.
I still have bunches of photos if you are interested. The only names I can
still remember were George Porteous ( also Denholms) and Jim Millar (BP).

Hope to hear from you.

JC

John Cassels
25th April 2007, 09:11
Wrong name , it was Jim Little - BP.

If you go to all the threads that I have started , you will see the one
MAR course at King Teds.

JC

Fraserbetts
25th April 2007, 11:22
Hi John, thats the one. remember George and Jim now you mention them and would be very interested in the photos. I remember we used to travel to Rugby matches in the van and the odd trip down the Mall was a veritable experience. It kept me poor as I ended up putting my own money into the upkeep. You may remember we had no wipers, no hand brake and the gears would suddenly jump into neutral without warning. Great fun and I have fond memories of the course. Am I right in saying Geoge Bull was also there or am I thinking of second mates at King Teds. Your name was familiar but I now remember there is an Andy Cassels, believe he still works in the BP shipping office.
Keep in touch; unfortunately I'm working in china at the moment so emails are a blessing and this site is a godsend.
Brgds
Fraser

MikeBrown
7th May 2007, 21:03
I did mine in Sept 68 - what a hoot!!! Some guy who taught electronics was an absolute genius. He hepled to design the Decca Navigator! Couldn't teach for a fart!!!! We conned him into letting us take our notes into the exam - top mark was 33%. Then he found out and we had to resit the exam with the same paper - no notes. Top mark was 8%!
The Coopers was the only time I managed 180 at darts - I was told the next morning! It was a long crawl home:-)
The only BP names I remember were Pete Sharples from Huddersfield, Chris Gaukroger from Halifax, Phil (?) Slade from Hipperholme and Bill Pogson - again from Halifax. It was a northern take over to improve the suvvern kulture!!

John Campbell
7th May 2007, 22:40
Hi John, thats the one. remember George and Jim now you mention them and would be very interested in the photos. I remember we used to travel to Rugby matches in the van and the odd trip down the Mall was a veritable experience. It kept me poor as I ended up putting my own money into the upkeep. You may remember we had no wipers, no hand brake and the gears would suddenly jump into neutral without warning. Great fun and I have fond memories of the course. Am I right in saying Geoge Bull was also there or am I thinking of second mates at King Teds. Your name was familiar but I now remember there is an Andy Cassels, believe he still works in the BP shipping office.
Keep in touch; unfortunately I'm working in china at the moment so emails are a blessing and this site is a godsend.
Brgds
Fraser
The ladsin Aberdeen will be interestredin your new posting - I will report at next nautical Inst Mtg. - Denis Rudd and Jeremy Proctor - I'll tell them where to find you. I remember you from UKOOA days.
Best regards
John Campbell

Fraserbetts
13th May 2007, 09:02
Thanks John - been here almost two years, planning to retire at the end of this year. MAR was one of the highlights during my apprenticeship; should be mandatory under STCW perhaps then we might get somewhere in the international maritime world!! China in that respect is frightening in more ways than one.

non descript
13th May 2007, 10:45
Thanks John - been here almost two years, planning to retire at the end of this year. China in that respect is frightening in more ways than one.

John

I don't think that in our wildest dreams when walking down Salmon Lane to the Good Friends in 1965 we could have imagined what is now happening, for example, in Pudong or indeed the product from the yards at SWS. Your suggestion that it is an amazing and frightening place is most apt. I am glad SN keeps you sane, good luck for the remaining months.

chadders
14th May 2007, 22:28
Hi, I did MAR at Tower Hill in 1971 and we stayed at the Stack of Bricks. I was one of the lucky ones in Houlders as we did six months great time. We used to use the Bricklayers Arms round the corner for drinking. we were also most of the darts team, we came bottom of the lifeboat league I wonder why.
At the time I can remember Mart Small, Mike Chopin, Tony Buonvino, Paul a guy lost on the Royston, (all Houlders/Furness Withy). Dick Lewis, Dick Graham (Stricks) Norman Stevens (Trident Tankers), Arthur Bowring (Bowrings) These guys all did six months a few others did 3 months and those I can remember were Archie Montgomery and Alistair Napier from Ben Line. Does anyone remember the ex Indian Army Colonel who ran the stackof bricks, he had no idea how to handle apprentices at all. Oh happy days

iang
17th May 2007, 16:33
I think his name was Dick Whittington ?.Cadet Welfare Officer.Came from Wales

non descript
17th May 2007, 16:36
Hi, I did MAR at Tower Hill in 1971 ... Does anyone remember the ex Indian Army Colonel who ran the stackof bricks, he had no idea how to handle apprentices at all. Oh happy days

I suspect this may have been Colonel Jenny.

Fraserbetts
20th May 2007, 09:24
thanks Tonga - looking forward to some peace and quiet; one thing you dont get here
Fraser

chadders
24th May 2007, 23:39
Tonga, as usual you are spot on thanks

non descript
25th May 2007, 08:59
Chadders, after checking, I think the Paul your refer to was Paul Hambly

chadders
27th May 2007, 20:08
Chadders, after checking, I think the Paul your refer to was Paul Hambly
Tonga, once again you are spot on, how do you do it?

non descript
27th May 2007, 22:52
Tonga, once again you are spot on, how do you do it?

Chadders, very sadly that one was all too easy.

Lanzabry
19th September 2008, 15:50
Memory is terrible but I was on MAR Course 5 or 6 with 2 other BP NavAps from Belfast. Mike McKenzie and Billy Ewing. Can recall having a great R&R time.Can still picture some of the others but the names have gone except for a big fella surname Boyer and another who had attended Gordonstun with Prince Charles. I was with BP from 63--69.

derekhore
19th September 2008, 16:53
I did mine in Sept 68 - what a hoot!!! Some guy who taught electronics was an absolute genius. He hepled to design the Decca Navigator! Couldn't teach for a fart!!!! We conned him into letting us take our notes into the exam - top mark was 33%. Then he found out and we had to resit the exam with the same paper - no notes. Top mark was 8%!
The Coopers was the only time I managed 180 at darts - I was told the next morning! It was a long crawl home:-)
The only BP names I remember were Pete Sharples from Huddersfield, Chris Gaukroger from Halifax, Phil (?) Slade from Hipperholme and Bill Pogson - again from Halifax. It was a northern take over to improve the suvvern kulture!!

Sailed with W J Pogson...Bill, on the British Captain in 1972....he was 3rd Mate and I was 2nd trip Deck Cadet!

Fred Bolingbroke was the Capt I recall, Graham Hunt the Mate and John Hayes the 2nd Mate.

vasco
19th September 2008, 17:46

I was with the Jan-July 1970 intake, Lockwood looked after us then. The mad science teacher was affectionately known as Monty Crellin, his name plus that of the Pythons, as his lectures all to often resembled a Python sketch. I remember once we were in the lecture hall and someone brought out a coconut and tried to break it open on the rails. Monty didn't bat an eyelid. He was very eccentric and exremely brilliant and totally in the wrong job.

There are some pics of the lads in the gallery, try here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/107947/ppuser/18826 and here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/107946/ppuser/18826 and finally http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/94857/ppuser/18826

taffy

red devil
12th November 2008, 17:44
I was also there from May to July 1970.I see some students did 6 months, I did just 3, how did that work?
I have many happy memories of my time there, does anyone remember the college yacht "Chase",I had a terrific weekends sailing in her with a couple of other lads.
I also have a copy of the photo mentioned in the previous reply, it shows a group of lads walking from London to Brighton in aid of the RNLI. I also took part but because I had a Lambretta I was seconded to the refreshment department and had the job of supplying the walkers with copius quantities of water!
The lad on the extreme right of the picture is the only one I recognise, his name is Dave Sherburn, I was at the Boulevard school in Hull with him for three and a half years before going to sea. I think he joined Ben Line.

red devil
17th November 2008, 17:49
I have just returned from a weekends trip to London to see my daughter. One of the days out was a visit to Greenwich (market, not the maritime museum!) because of engineering works on the DLR a bus service was laid on which went down Commercial road right past the "stack of bricks", a building I have not seen for 38 years!! I was suprised to see it looking much better than in 1970 and now called the Mission, does anyone know what it's used for now?

arfabuck
12th December 2008, 04:07
Wrong name , it was Jim Little - BP.

If you go to all the threads that I have started , you will see the one
MAR course at King Teds.

JC

Did my time at the stack of bricks 65-66? Can't remember a thing except a white launch or something cruising down the Thames doing the radar bit.

Glutton for punishment and went back to King Teds for second mates but stayed at the Seamark Club behind the Tower somewhere. Only thing I remember about that was missing my 21st! Blotto from the day before to the day after. Ahhh, the mis-spent youth!

Art

guntackle
22nd May 2012, 03:13
Hi, I did MAR at Tower Hill in 1971 and we stayed at the Stack of Bricks. I was one of the lucky ones in Houlders as we did six months great time. We used to use the Bricklayers Arms round the corner for drinking. we were also most of the darts team, we came bottom of the lifeboat league I wonder why.
At the time I can remember Mart Small, Mike Chopin, Tony Buonvino, Paul a guy lost on the Royston, (all Houlders/Furness Withy). Dick Lewis, Dick Graham (Stricks) Norman Stevens (Trident Tankers), Arthur Bowring (Bowrings) These guys all did six months a few others did 3 months and those I can remember were Archie Montgomery and Alistair Napier from Ben Line. Does anyone remember the ex Indian Army Colonel who ran the stackof bricks, he had no idea how to handle apprentices at all. Oh happy days
Well knock me down with a wet kipper! Of course I remember playing darts and drinking at the 'Bricklayers', the 'Londoner', 'The Prospect of Whitby' etc. I remember pulling some amazing looking (but awful when she opened her mouth) blonde bit in the Tiger Club (Tower Hill). You mentioned Paul (Hambly) he was with us on both block releases. I stayed with him a couple of times in Redruth and with his parents a few months after he died (Royston Grange). Does anyone remember visiting 'Raggy-Mags' and copping off with the nurses except when 'Monty Python' was on TV? Then trying to sneak out at night avoiding the security people.... Happy days
Cheers - Mike Chopin

Pobydd
26th March 2014, 00:47
BP sent Navigating Apprentices either to London or South Shields for three months during the second year of their apprenticeships. I remember the following names of the BP guys on the course. Graham Phippen, Bill Patterson, Pete Townshend and Joe?
I remember lots of things in no particular order such as:
Doing my lifeboat & EDH tickets at St. Katherine's Dock and my firefighting ticket at West Ham fire station.
The hotel side of King Ted's was run by a guy called Weinstein assisted by his two daughters.
After the evening meal, we'd all rush into the TV lounge to catch the latest episode of the Magic Roundabout.
The Cooper's Arms was run by a mother and son assisted by a gay barman called George.
The Beatles' Sergeant Pepper album coming out in June '67.
High-Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck and Silence is Golden by The Tremeloes being played incessantly on the Cooper's audio system.
Francis Chichester in Gipsy Moth IV arriving in London after his single-handed non-stop circumnavigation of the world.
A two-day cruise on the college flagship Glen Strathallan.
Taking part in a demonstration campaigning against the closure of St. Hilda's maternity home.
Taking archery lessons in one of the Royal Parks.
The Prospect of Whitby.
The fabulous special fried rice at the Good Friends Chinese take-away.
Skiving off at weekends and subsequently receiving some sort of punishment for my 'crime'.

All in all, a jolly good time to be 19 and in London. And all of 47 years ago, sigh!

Pobydd