Brocklebank Electrical Personnel

ken carr
24th April 2007, 15:51
Launched in 1943 the Mahanada was the first Brocklebank ship to carry an Electrician, during the next twenty years Brocks built 17 ships and all carried at least One Electrician, many of them Two.
Question Where the hell are you all, lets have some input from you gentlemen
and keep this show on the road, the Deck, Engine Room and Sparkies are doing all the work and performing very well indeed Speak up all you Batty Sahibs and lets hear your patter. I have reason to believe that it was the Electrical Dept that brought " COUTH " to the Company ???
Ken Carr.

David Byrne
24th April 2007, 17:10
Ken,

It seems you may have missed the "UN" off your chosen description of Brocklebank electricians. (Is this enough to sting into action our highly illuminated and shockingly under-represented electrical brothers into making contact?)

David Byrne

ken carr
25th April 2007, 00:08
David,
I have reason to believe that the "UN" was in existance prior to the arrival of the the Electrical personnel, with skill, patience,and a very high grade of Techhnical Ability we removed the "UN" and replaced it with "COUTH"
Hopefully,that answers your question?. Now come on you Electrical Officers, I need your help and back-up, or these guys will burn me.
Regards Ken Carr

Tony Selman
25th April 2007, 12:28
Come on Mr Macleod, here's your chance. For the record when Don gets round to replying he is very much on the "Couth" side of the Electric fence (sorry).

Nick Jones
26th April 2007, 10:09
Ken,

Some of us are still alive and well in other parts fo the world. I totally agree that we bought couth to the seafaring world. I was always a perfect gentleman when inebriated and always knew when I'd had enough, I passed out.
My record with Brocks was 2 trips deep sea on the Matra 1 trip on the Luminous and my last trip, on the Manipur (Ex Ivernia).
For the most part they were good trips, good crews, apart from Chief Engineers, Second engineers and Chief Officers who all thought they were omnipotent or impotent whatever the word is. Had some good times, a lot of hard work and wouldn't have missed it for anything, that why I'm on this site.
I always felt that we were there as an unneccessary evil, but we were always there to keep the cargo moving and I at least never had too many complaints from those above. Other than my drinking of course but what the heck!

Cheers,

Nick Jones.

Don A.Macleod
26th April 2007, 21:15
Launched in 1943 the Mahanada was the first Brocklebank ship to carry an Electrician, during the next twenty years Brocks built 17 ships and all carried at least One Electrician, many of them Two.
and keep this show on the road, the Deck, Engine Room and Sparkies are doing all the work and performing very well indeed Speak up all you Batty Sahibs and lets hear your patter. I have reason to believe that it was the Electrical Dept that brought " COUTH " to the Company ???
Ken Carr.

I was going to respond Ken(time permitting but Dr. Selman has prompted me to expidite a message). Never met you though I was aware of you in crew lists or whatever.
I have often wondered how many of the Elect.Dept. are still around as there have been no messages on SN and that made things rather difficult.Now it appears there are some of us still around.
A correction re number of ships built after MAHANADA,it was 18 so which one did you miss?!
"The Black four" MAHSEER,MATRA.MANAAR,MAIPURA,MASKELIYA,MATURATA,MA KRANA,MAWANA,MANGLA,MATHURA,MARKOR,MAHOUT,MAIHAR AND MAHSUD.
Of that lot the only ones I never sailed on(coasting or deepsea) were MAIDAN,MAGDAPUR,MAKRANA and MARKOR.That was between 62 and 75, of course throw in a couple of tankers(old ones mind you!).
As regards the "couth" well I will admit there were instances when I could admit to having th "un" added on, but then we all had bad moments!
Now that we've got the "leckies"on line we should try and keep posting. Many stories to tell. Regards Donald

Don A.Macleod
26th April 2007, 21:28
Ken Carr.

I stand corrected Ken,have just read your message again and you are correct with17. You did state twenty years from 1943 and I forgot MASIRAH,the grey cells tend to let you down sometimes.Of course MAIHAR and MAHSUD were later,apologies.Donald .

Derek Roger
27th April 2007, 23:16
I shall be posting a picture in the Gallery soon of the offficers and a couple of crew members of the Maihar taken the same day after the gear box explosion which occured in Tokyo bay . Ian Seery ( Elec ) is prominant in the picture for those of you who remember him . I shall also be posting a detailed account of the disaster for those of you who are interested .

Derek

Roger Bentley
28th April 2007, 16:10
Salaams, After the 1993 reunion I collated and put to CD all the addresses of ex Brocklebank personnel - I had been given these by Noel Grayson who had organised that reunion. The idea being that they would be recorded in case of any future reunions. One of the lists is titled General List 3 and Electricians, I had a look at it again but sadly there is no positive ident as to who was what. However I was intrigued to see that one gentleman was merely listed as Mr Gay! Thought someone may know who he was. Regards, Roger Bentley

ken carr
29th April 2007, 13:55
Many thanks gentlemen for your interesting and supportive replies your worthy of a high degree of " COUTH ". Well Nick & Donald it looks like we three are all thats left of Brocks electrical people, I just can't believe it, it's only 50 years, lets leave it till next weekend, hopefully a few more Leckies may show up. Now wake up you electricians log in and join the most technical group of Brocklebanks Regards Ken Carr

Roger Bentley
30th April 2007, 18:44
Ken and Co, Electricians I recall are Stan Robinson who was older than most as I remember and he was on the Masirah in 1957. Others were J Lyon (known as Black La), S Brownell, Dennis Williams (deceased) and Jimmy Dalbv (he was from Liverpool and had actually been in tanks at close of WW2) who was on the Maidan with me in 1954. I wonder if it was not perceived as a long term sea going career and after National Service requirements people just moved on. This is not to suggest avoidance of NS was a factor, lots of R/Os also used service in the MN to avoid a spell in Khaki and at the same time travel the world and generally have a good time. As far as I recall if you stayed at sea until you were 26 you were exempt. I left at the age of 28 and then spent most of my other career working with the military in one form or another! Salaams Roger

japottinger
30th April 2007, 19:15
Electricians I recall on Manipur were Les Dow, Harry Allison and Alan Barr

gwzm
30th April 2007, 20:03
I remember Hector Million and Tommy McGuigan, first and second leckies respectively on the Mahronda. Les Dow was on the Mahseer when I did my first trip. No other names emerging from the (old & tired) grey cells at the moment

John/gwzm

Braighe
30th April 2007, 21:41
Gentlemen. Who remembers Ian King-Gabb on Matra 1954/55. 1st Electrician.
I was 2 R/O with John Caddy 1st R/O. Master was Paddy? Penston and Ted Hannah Ch Steward. Grey cells working overtime - reluctantly!!. Willie.

skymaster
30th April 2007, 22:06
I did my last trip with Brocklebanks on the Mahanada 1957/58,I must say that Ken was without a doubt a gentleman at all times and it was I who led him astray.There are pictures in the Gallery to prove it.We worked well together I was senior deck Apprentice.

Don A.Macleod
30th April 2007, 22:34
Many thanks gentlemen for your interesting and supportive replies your worthy of a high degree of " COUTH ". Well Nick & Donald it looks like we three are all thats left of Brocks electrical people, I just can't believe it, it's only 50 years, lets leave it till next weekend, hopefully a few more Leckies may show up. Now wake up you electricians log in and join the most technical group of Brocklebanks Regards Ken Carr

Ken, I feel here are a few more "Batys" out there who could come forward, but it's their choice! 50 years you say,crikey I only joined MATRA early 63 so you are a real "old timer"!

When I was finally promoted to senior leckie it was the MAHANADA I was assigned to but it never came about and was sent to the MAIPURA instead,a great ship but missed the "elect winches".

As you say we were the "really" technical dept. in the company!(now this is going to cause a real disruption on the site!). But we were very prominent in getting ships from A to B. Enough for now. Donald

Don A.Macleod
30th April 2007, 23:04
Electricians I recall on Manipur were Les Dow, Harry Allison and Alan Barr

James, were you on the MANIPUR circa 61/62? I was working on her (Sunderland Forge) Johnny McCallum was chief also were Hugh Neil, Ken Sanderson and Les Dow was Sen, Elect.I was asked if I wished to complete the last year of my apprenticeship with the company and going deep sea on her.I declined,little knowing then that I was going to take her on her last voyage six or seven years later. Donald.

Tony Selman
1st May 2007, 10:27
Quote: As you say we were the "really" technical dept. in the company!(now this is going to cause a real disruption on the site!). But we were very prominent in getting ships from A to B. Enough for now. Donald. Unquote

Now then Mr Macleod there is no need for inflamatory remarks that everyone knows are clearly not true. :)

Don A.Macleod
1st May 2007, 12:19
Quote: As you say we were the "really" technical dept. in the company!(now this is going to cause a real disruption on the site!). But we were very prominent in getting ships from A to B. Enough for now. Donald. Unquote

Now then Mr Macleod there is no need for inflamatory remarks that everyone knows are clearly not true. :)

Earned the wooden spoon on a couple of occassions Tony, on my last trip on the MATRA I'm sure Ernie Ferrie was "chippy" and he presented me with a six foot long spoon which he'd made out of a bit of hatchboard.Still can't figure out why I was a s**t stirrer! Mind you I suppose some leckies were mad,well who was willing to go back to LUCIGEN for a second term.

Don A.Macleod
1st May 2007, 12:41
I was 2 R/O with John Caddy 1st R/O. Master was Paddy? Penston and Ted Hannah Ch Steward. Grey cells working overtime - reluctantly!!. Willie.

Relieved King-Gabb some years later when he was on the MATHURA(his ship as Bill Croft and Jack McGuire had moved onto MARKOR and MAHOUT).His last words to me after the handover for coasting were "make sure your second man inverts the tins of paint and Shellac every morning "strange the things that stay in your memory,must admit he kept her good.Seem to think Willie that he was from Greenock.

japottinger
1st May 2007, 19:09

Ian King-Gabb was a sparkie

japottinger
1st May 2007, 19:15
James, were you on the MANIPUR circa 61/62? I was working on her (Sunderland Forge) Johnny McCallum was chief also were Hugh Neil, Ken Sanderson and Les Dow was Sen, Elect.I was asked if I wished to complete the last year of my apprenticeship with the company and going deep sea on her.I declined,little knowing then that I was going to take her on her last voyage six or seven years later. Donald.

I joined Manipur 28 Oct. 1958 and left 24 April 1960. Extra 4th, Sen4th and Jun 3rd.
Johnny MacCallum was Chief Eng for all three trips, Bob Beattie 2nd Eng for two trips and Chris O'Grady ex Blue Funnel 2nd last trip.

japottinger
1st May 2007, 19:24

Ian King-Gab was indeed from Greenock

japottinger
1st May 2007, 19:25
I joined Manipur 28 Oct. 1958 and left 24 April 1960. Extra 4th, Sen4th and Jun 3rd.
Johnny MacCallum was Chief Eng for all three trips, Bob Beattie 2nd Eng for two trips and Chris O'Grady ex Blue Funnel 2nd last trip.

Black four were great for promotion, most engineers had had enough after one trip.

Braighe
1st May 2007, 20:03

Do you mean Sparkie as R/O or as Electrician. He was indeed from Greenock and Electrician when we were together on Matra. Willie.

Derek Roger
2nd May 2007, 01:14
Black four were great for promotion, most engineers had had enough after one trip.

Was Bob Beattie called " Black Bob by chance ???"

Jim S
3rd May 2007, 21:21
Despite doing 2 trips on Maidan, 1 on Mathura, and 4 on Magdapur plus a number of coastal voyages in the 1960's I can only remember the name of one Electrician - Fred MacKay 2nd Elect on Maidan.
I do recall another lad on a coastal trip - cannot remember his name but his "claim to fame" was that the tv actress Pat Phoenix, Coronation Street's Elsie Tanner was his aunt. This must have been around 1964-66, he had an Austin 1100 car that I had to drive through the Mersey Tunnel to Birkenhead one night after he had one two many. I remember him as a good lad who had to endure quite a bit of ribbing from Tony Dick 2nd Eng.

Nick Jones
4th May 2007, 04:19
Fred Mackay relieved me as Electrician on the Luminous in Singapore November 1971. I relieved a Chief Electrician named Humphries on the Matra in 1968, who had a bad case of the DT's, and was commonly refererred to by other crew members as "Rubber Legs Humphries".
I had a Second Electrician on the Matra, Dereck "Yemeni" Yates from Manchester. He had been in the army in Yemen and had been shot in the leg. I heard he was also on one of the ex-Cunard cargo ships, the Mahronda I believe. We used to take it in turns to have a night in the cups so to speak, mine was Saturday night. Pilot may remember him from the Matra.
The next voyage I had another Second Electrician, Alistair -------, a young red-headed Scottish lad who played a mean Guitar.

Regards,

Nick Jones.

Don A.Macleod
4th May 2007, 14:41
Despite doing 2 trips on Maidan, 1 on Mathura, and 4 on Magdapur plus a number of coastal voyages in the 1960's I can only remember the name of one Electrician - Fred MacKay 2nd Elect on Maidan.
I do recall another lad on a coastal trip - cannot remember his name but his "claim to fame" was that the tv actress Pat Phoenix, Coronation Street's Elsie Tanner was his aunt. This must have been around 1964-66, he had an Austin 1100 car that I had to drive through the Mersey Tunnel to Birkenhead one night after he had one two many. I remember him as a good lad who had to endure quite a bit of ribbing from Tony Dick 2nd Eng.

Fred was from Paisley(as I remember)and he was 2nd elect on the MAIDAN with Paul Georgeson when I was on MATRA as 2nd elect.(met him in Colombo).That would be in '63 I think.

Regarding Pat phoenix it certainly rings a bell but can't tie it down.Regards Donald.

Jim S
5th May 2007, 18:52
Don, Nick

I attach a photo of Fred McKay in typical pose - This was at Colombo and probably on same trip that you (Don) met him.
As I mentioned elsewhere Fred's party piece was to reach up and grab the blade of an overhead rotating fan in Maidan's Bar. - He could achieve this without injury irrespective of the speed of rotation.

Jim S
5th May 2007, 19:00
Just remembered the name of another Brocklebank Electrician - John (I am not sure that was his christian name) Kelly - known universally as "Case a day Kelly" - I never saw the man eat, he seemed to live on Tennents.
He was 1st Elect on Maidan. Never saw him incapable either. A remarkable constitution.

pilot
6th May 2007, 06:27
Can remember from the '60s a Brock. Electrician who was a Buddhist. Complete with a Buddha in his cabin. Another who was ex.Mobil. Mobil had stopped carrying Electricians on their British manned tankers. His ripping yarns of Mobil lead me to spending the next 30 years with them. Unfortunately the names have gone.
Rememeber the "Yemeni Yates" that Nick mentions earlier, along with his Tales of the Radfan.
Rgds.

Don A.Macleod
6th May 2007, 10:34
Don, Nick

I attach a photo of Fred McKay in typical pose - This was at Colombo and probably on same trip that you (Don) met him.
As I mentioned elsewhere Fred's party piece was to reach up and grab the blade of an overhead rotating fan in Maidan's Bar. - He could achieve this without injury irrespective of the speed of rotation.

That's Fred alright,strange it may seem but I was never to meet up with him again in the next 12years.He new his fans as he probably spent most of the voyage repairing them to keep everyone happy(been there!)Actually there was no great torque in them and you could easily "stall"them so it could be an impressive party trick to grab the blades,good on you Fred.Donald

ken carr
10th May 2007, 14:30
Gentlemen, still only 3 leckies on line,many thanks for all the electricians names, some I do recall, namely John Lyons or (La) from Liverpool a real character indeed.A true yarn that maybe of interest, In the late 50s I was requested by Brocks to stand-by the old MAHOUT in my home port of Birkenhead and assist with electrical work prior to her sailing deep sea,I arrived on board complete with a romper suit and a few hand tools and reported to the 2nd Eng who told me to virtually re-wire the ship about ten different Jobs so I made a start in the engine room. At lunch time the deep sea Chief Eng arrived and changed my duties, I was to service/repair every cabin fan on the ship,instant promotion for me, I became the Cabin Fan Kid,
The 2nd Eng was furious he, winged and carried on all the time I was aboard
The final straw that made me see red was when he saw me unpack some new oscillating fans and insisted that I fit one in his cabin I made him wait untill the last day and attended to his request That was the only 2ndEng in all my 8 years with Brocks that I could not work with.
I would have signed at least a dozen "CHITS" just to see the look on that guys face when he tested
his fan, it operated in reverse direction??? oh dear I must have got my wires
crossed, That gentlemen is ( couth )
Regards Ken Carr

Don A.Macleod
12th May 2007, 08:53
I'm surprised Ken that more Leckies haven't come on site but maybe they don't want to,it's their choice. There are many stories to tell some unbelievable ,that was life at sea though!
I wonder who the 2nd was you "upset" there was a "thing" with some 2nd's that they had to control the electricians rather than their own staff(we didn't have to do a 56 hour week). Happy days,keep posting Ken.

Donald

Philthechill
12th May 2007, 16:41
I was going to respond Ken(time permitting but Dr. Selman has prompted me to expidite a message). Never met you though I was aware of you in crew lists or whatever.
I have often wondered how many of the Elect.Dept. are still around as there have been no messages on SN and that made things rather difficult.Now it appears there are some of us still around.
A correction re number of ships built after MAHANADA,it was 18 so which one did you miss?!
"The Black four" MAHSEER,MATRA.MANAAR,MAIPURA,MASKELIYA,MATURATA,MA KRANA,MAWANA,MANGLA,MATHURA,MARKOR,MAHOUT,MAIHAR AND MAHSUD.
Of that lot the only ones I never sailed on(coasting or deepsea) were MAIDAN,MAGDAPUR,MAKRANA and MARKOR.That was between 62 and 75, of course throw in a couple of tankers(old ones mind you!).
As regards the "couth" well I will admit there were instances when I could admit to having th "un" added on, but then we all had bad moments!
Now that we've got the "leckies"on line we should try and keep posting. Many stories to tell. Regards Donald
Don! Hello! Now not wishing to be pedantic, nor casting any doubts on "battie-sahibs" as to their being, indeed, highly esteemed (day-working only!!!) members of the black-gang ("Couth" "Un") you, yourself, have cast a grave question on "battie-sahibs" being numerate! What do I base this assumption on? Well you start your list of ships, "The Black Four" (which as any engineer who sailed on these work-horses know only too well) were:- "Manipur", "Magadapur", "Mahronda" and "Maidan". You then go on to list fourteen ships so that is TEN more than FOUR. Oh very well so I am being pedantic, and a little cheeky too!!!! Burra salaams!

Philthechill
12th May 2007, 16:46
Was Bob Beattie called " Black Bob by chance ???" Black Bob (2E) was, indeed, Bob Beattie. Well-named too as he always, but always, looked as if he'd been up the boiler back-ends!

Philthechill
12th May 2007, 23:49
Can remember from the '60s a Brock. Electrician who was a Buddhist. Complete with a Buddha in his cabin. Another who was ex.Mobil. Mobil had stopped carrying Electricians on their British manned tankers. His ripping yarns of Mobil lead me to spending the next 30 years with them. Unfortunately the names have gone.
Rememeber the "Yemeni Yates" that Nick mentions earlier, along with his Tales of the Radfan.
Rgds.
Phil Roe aka Philthechill here! The Buddhist Electrician you mention was "Curly" Oliver. I coasted with him but I can't remember which ship it was. Possibly "Mahseer". Cheers bud! Phil.

Don A.Macleod
13th May 2007, 09:49
Don! Hello! Now not wishing to be pedantic, nor casting any doubts on "battie-sahibs" as to their being, indeed, highly esteemed (day-working only!!!) members of the black-gang ("Couth" "Un") you, yourself, have cast a grave question on "battie-sahibs" being numerate! What do I base this assumption on? Well you start your list of ships, "The Black Four" (which as any engineer who sailed on these work-horses know only too well) were:- "Manipur", "Magadapur", "Mahronda" and "Maidan". You then go on to list fourteen ships so that is TEN more than FOUR. Oh very well so I am being pedantic, and a little cheeky too!!!! Burra salaams!

Well,well! Another blast from the past "tell the truth Roe" remember that? You sound as jovial as ever! What do you mean "day working only" spent most of the trip on the MAIPURA on watch with you (sorry! on watch whilst you spent it on the lathe making cannons and having your tea made for you!)
Happy days Phil and Burra salaams to you to.

Philthechill
13th May 2007, 18:47
Well,well! Another blast from the past "tell the truth Roe" remember that? You sound as jovial as ever! What do you mean "day working only" spent most of the trip on the MAIPURA on watch with you (sorry! on watch whilst you spent it on the lathe making cannons and having your tea made for you!)
Happy days Phil and Burra salaams to you to.
Eh-up Don! How you diddling? Like you say, it's a small world! Strangely enough I was only telling my daughters about my cannon-making t'other day! Unfortunately I forgot to mention the essential part you played in the process so I will do that next time I see them. Without your tea-making skills those cannons would never have seen the light of day (probably!!!!) I'll send a much more 'Quote' in depth later, Don, as it's nearly time for 'Antiques Roadshow'. I like to watch it and bore everybody with lies about "having one of them", (when some particularly valuable artifact is shown) "when Christ were a lad". Salaams.

Nick Jones
14th May 2007, 04:25
My first deep sea on the Matra was with a Mate called Tony Bassey from Chapel-en Le Frith, Pilot will remember him. A true gentleman who actually appreciated the work "Yemeni Yates" and I did on the winches. I wonder what happened to him as he was overdue for his Master job?
Cheers,
Nick Jones.

Don A.Macleod
15th May 2007, 00:20
Eh-up Don! How you diddling? Like you say, it's a small world! Strangely enough I was only telling my daughters about my cannon-making t'other day! Unfortunately I forgot to mention the essential part you played in the process so I will do that next time I see them. Without your tea-making skills those cannons would never have seen the light of day (probably!!!!) I'll send a much more 'Quote' in depth later, Don, as it's nearly time for 'Antiques Roadshow'. I like to watch it and bore everybody with lies about "having one of them", (when some particularly valuable artifact is shown) "when Christ were a lad". Salaams.

Memorable "long" voyage Phil,remember well our yarns down below(when you weren't making bloody cannons!) I remember some of them but would prefer not to refer back to them as they could cause embarrassment! To us both.
I'm a bit into antiques myself and watch all the relevant progs. "Flog it","Cash in the attic" and believe it or not I've dumped a few valuables over the years thinking they were "junk".

Nice to "talk" again after all those years and long may it continue.

Best regards Donald

pilot
15th May 2007, 07:02
Nick. Tony Bassey joined a Mid. East owned Company when he left Brocks. Might have been United Arab Shipping?
As you say Tony was a true gentleman and a hard act to follow.
Cheers Martin.

KIWI
15th May 2007, 09:25
Very interesting reading the foregoing even tho I was a P&O batti wallah & not Brocklebank.Comments re day working reminded me of a time when the engineers were working extra time to keep things going & I suggested I/we could help.Turned down in no uncertain terms even tho I had fifteen months sea time as fourth engineer on a Norwegian Liberty ship.No electrical gear to speak of but that I could use gas gear & a lathe was of paramount interest.I think the engineers doing the double watches would not have worried about demarcation. Kiwi

Don A.Macleod
15th May 2007, 11:23
My first deep sea on the Matra was with a Mate called Tony Bassey from Chapel-en Le Frith, Pilot will remember him. A true gentleman who actually appreciated the work "Yemeni Yates" and I did on the winches. I wonder what happened to him as he was overdue for his Master job?
Cheers,
Nick Jones.

Never met Tony Bassey Nick. Glad you did a good job on the winches and hope you didn't have to go thru' my own experience in 63 on the MATRA when No2 For'd starboard decided to go on fire in Massawa. Had to replace armature,coils,bearings,brake etc. Now that was a "hot" job,Ithink it took the best part of three days.Thankfully I never had to do that again as LSE winches were really gems in my book once you got to know them.
Donald

John Ringrose
3rd June 2008, 10:41
I sailed with Jimmy Robertson on the Mahseer - Rum lad would be a word for him. What happened to him?