Captain John (Jack) Mason - British Peer

daimason
21st April 2007, 14:10
My father was an MM with British Tankers. He retired in 1963 (approx) after serving 30 years with the company. He was senior master in the Clyde subsiduary and sailed on the Clyde Guardian. Some of the other ships included British Peer in 1955 sailing to Fremantle. He had a brother James (Jim) who was also an MM with BP. At this time we lived in Barry, South Wales. My father died in 1975. I have been in Australia for 37 years and am trying to piece together anything I can on my father's maritime experiences. Can anyone help?

gdynia
21st April 2007, 14:23
Welcome onboard to SN and no doubt one of the BP members here will help you with your enquiry

R58484956
21st April 2007, 18:11
Welcome daimason and thank you for signing on. Enjoy the site. Plenty of ex BP lads on here. Bon voyage.

jim brindley
22nd April 2007, 09:59
wellcome to s.n daimmason . was ony on one b.p. the british promise .

benjidog
22nd April 2007, 15:07
Welcome from the North of England.

I hope you enjoy the site and find what you are looking for. You have a big task ahead unless you have more information. You could check out the Ships Research forum on this site for hints and tips.

Regards,

Brian

non descript
25th April 2007, 08:06
To get the maximum exposure I have copied some of this from the "hello thread" to this thread to see if we can jog a few memories within the many well versed BP Members. They are a fearsome bunch when it comes to long lost memorores, so there's a good chance.

stan mayes
25th April 2007, 16:19
Hello Dai,
I sailed Bosun in BRITISH SUCCESS during 1951 and the Master was J.Mason..
If you send me your email address I will attach a copy of my Seamans Discharge Book page with the signature of J.Mason and you can identify if it is your father's or uncle's.
The voyage was 14 3 1951 to 2 Aug 1951..Thameshaven - Le Havre - Saltend - Suez - Mena al Ahmadi -{BRITISH ADVENTURE was here on maiden voyage] Singapore - Pladjoe - Suez -Thameshaven- Falmouth for drydock
I also sailed in BTC BRITISH MERIT 1945 - and T2 EL MORRO 1947.
Regards Stan Mayes

non descript
25th April 2007, 16:40
I am beginning to wonder at the wisdom of me changing the thread title, it now looks like we are looking for a Captain who is also a member of the House of Lords. (Jester) - Well if nothing else it helps get the posting noticed by making a fesh comment and bringing it back to the top; and therefore maybe a result.

non descript
25th April 2007, 16:41
Hello Dai,
I sailed Bosun in BRITISH SUCCESS during 1951 and the Master was J.Mason..
If you send me your email address I will attach a copy of my Seamans Discharge Book page with the signature of J.Mason and you can identify if it is your father's or uncle's.
The voyage was 14 3 1951 to 2 Aug 1951..Thameshaven - Le Havre - Saltend - Suez - Mena al Ahmadi -{BRITISH ADVENTURE was here on maiden voyage] Singapore - Pladjoe - Suez -Thameshaven- Falmouth for drydock
I also sailed in BTC BRITISH MERIT 1945 - and T2 EL MORRO 1947.
Regards Stan Mayes

Well done Stan, nice one. (Thumb)

John_F
25th April 2007, 18:08
My father was an MM with British Tankers. He retired in 1963 (approx) after serving 30 years with the company. He was senior master in the Clyde subsiduary and sailed on the Clyde Guardian.
Daimason,
Welcome to the site.
I served on the Clyde Guardian as uncertificated Third Mate from September 9th 1962 until February 5th 1963 when I left to take my 2nd Mate's ticket. The first Master was Jack Hunter from Edinburgh, the second was J.V.Jones from Wales so I'm afraid that I did not meet your father. There are 3 or 4 photos of her in the Tanker Gallery which I took during my time on her of which the attached is one example.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1742/cat/503/si/clyde%20guardian/perpage/12
Kind regards,
John F.

stan mayes
13th May 2007, 14:43
Hello Tonga,
Thankyou for the praise,I presume it is for helping a member with a request or is it for having sailed in three BTC ships?
The three I sailed in were not by choice,I was sent to join them by the MN Reserve Pool.. For crews the BTC was a company to avoid if possible..
Prewar,all their ships had accomodation for seamen and firemen in the fo'c'sle head and you can imagine how the conditions were in a deep loaded tanker during heavy weather.
The galley was aft and crew messrooms were for'ard..Food [ another bad memory] was in kits and was carried along the flying bridge and of course was cold when it reached the messroom,,
The anchor hawse pipes passed through the messrooms and arrival in port meant a rude awakening for any off duty crew who were sleeping...
My criticism does not apply to post war BTC,- accomodation aft and victualling were greatly improved -so much that many crews signed on for more voyages...
Now a question for ex crew members of BTC ...
On my Account of Wages from BRITISH SUCCESS - 14th March 1951 to 12th July 1951 it has Eastern Bonus £9.3s - why was that paid?
We were at Pladjoe during civil unrest so possibly a connection there ..
Best wishes to all SN Team and members - Stan Mayes.

mpkk
13th May 2007, 16:43
Hi Stan,
Reference the bonus you were paid. There used to be two bonus payments, neither were being paid when I joined BP in '66.
'Super tanker Allowance' for,I believe, anyone sailing on 32,000 Ton and above.
'East of Suez Bonus' - self explanatory.
Regards Jon

cariad
3rd December 2007, 11:29
I think I served under your father as a deck apprentice on British Consul in 1959. Or was it your uncle.

Peter

Graham Wallace
4th December 2007, 06:00
Daimason
I have been keeping a database of ex BP seagoing personnel for the last 8 years. I have many copies of drydock lists ,Ships Movements etc from 1960 onwards.I may be of some help?
Graham

Graham Wallace
4th December 2007, 06:19
Daimason,
Vessels sailing from Drydock October/November 1960. British Flag,Master J.Mason.
Graham

MANCUNIUM
2nd March 2008, 20:28
Certainly sailed with Capt James Mason , a 13 monther out of Swansea drydock on the Consul
Bob

Derek Roger
2nd March 2008, 20:42
Welcome from Canada Daimason ; looks like you already hit some jackpots ! Good luck in your search .
Regards Derek