TSSS "City of London" tragedy.

C R Williamson
26th April 2007, 09:41
Anyone with me on the above in early 1963 when the 2/E/O drowned in Bombay docks? I can see the scene now but cannot rember the brave man's name.

Fergus 62
26th April 2007, 17:10
Tss City of London
Capt Tyrell, Mate - Duncan Jameson, 2/o John Pendry
Is that Clive Williamson from South Wales?
If so I was apprentice with you on that trip and later for a year on City of Winchester (Manz run).
Clive, I remember the incident as if it were yesterday, prob the first serious and sad incident I had experienced in my life and it left a great impression. Unforturately I cannot remember his name all these years on, I do however recall he was from Glasgow. Couple of years ago I made contact with the 4th Engineer on that trip, I'll drop him an e mail and see if he remembers.
Be glad to hear from you through e mail.(Thumb)

All the best

Ronnie McClune (Fergus 62)

C R Williamson
30th April 2007, 09:10
Hello there Ronnie!
Got your email this morning.
We had another Apprentice didn't we? He was a Mike - I think?
I'll reply to your e-mail later today.
Clive.

Ron Stringer
30th April 2007, 17:50
Anyone with me on the above in early 1963 when the 2/E/O drowned in Bombay docks? I can see the scene now but cannot rember the brave man's name.

Sailed with the man to South Africa and on the Indian coast (up as far as Chalna) from September 61 to February 62 when he was 2nd Engineer on the 'City of Lucknow.' Great character, great singer with a massive repertoire of Scottish songs. He left us after we completed the coasting trip back in the UK. Heard of the accident whilst we were on a later voyage out to Australia but never knew the full details.

Have discussed it with other ex-Ellerman friends but cannot remember his name. If you can recall the details, I'd be pleased to hear of them.

C R Williamson
14th May 2007, 09:34
Hi Ron,
Ronnie has suggested contacting Liverpool Maritime Museum as they may have the result of an official inquest and/or Company papers - extract of log. It's a start anyway.
Clive.

C R Williamson
25th May 2007, 11:35
Liverpool Maritime Museum has records of Ellerman Engineers but, of course, they need a name. Also, they suggest, I try the Bombay Authorities. I will have a go!

niworth
8th June 2007, 21:21

I was on the City of Lucknow until 1962. I think I remember you - big chap - blond hair?

I may have some photos - Nigel Worth

Fergus 62
21st January 2008, 23:09
Clive

Did you ever get any information re Bombay incident.

Regards

Ronnie

andy88up.
17th March 2008, 20:48
I was on the City of Ottawa with C/E G Gurney a year after that tragedy. I seem to recall him mentioning being on the London then, and the second engineer being trapped in the overside discharge, and drowned. The name Ken Palmer springs to mind, but I am not 100% cartain

Fergus 62
26th April 2008, 21:24
Andy

I thing at long last you,ve jogged my memory on this one.
I thing you're right with the name Palmer, wouldnt be 100% on Ken though.
Great guy to have had around and the victim of a tragic event.
Regards

Fergus 62