Bulkers Anchises & Ajax

railroadbill
30th April 2007, 19:11
I was Snr Electrician on board these two Bulk Carriers, the last remaining two of the Blue Funnel Line ships, when they were sold to Black Sea interests.
Anchises was handed over on 21/12/83 at Lisnav drydock in Almada, Lisbon.
Ajax was handed over on 27/03/84 at Lisnav drydock in Almada, Lisbon.
We drydocked each ship in the same dock which was the biggest in europe.
If you looked down from the statue of Christ (Christo Ris) the size of this drydock was unbelievable. We looked like a toy sharing the same dock as the Super Tanker ahead of us.
I still have a AH house flag from one of these bulkers. They were nice ships too, built methodically in Japan.
Ah well, all nostalgia now!(A)

Hague
30th April 2007, 22:09
Railroadbill,
Sad story especially to all those of us who held 'the China Boats' with such high regards. Thankfully, sites like this do not allow us to put our memories into 'lay up'

Supergoods
14th February 2008, 19:12
Towards the end of the Blue Funnel operation of these vessels we had the Ajax on time charter for a voyage Middlesborough to Basrah via US Gulf of Mexico.

There was some issue with the cargo interests during the voyage which required a statement from the Master to be properly notorised after signing.

The vessel was coming into Houston on a different charter to load grain and I took our resident Notary down with me to get the necessary documents without the need for the master to come ashore.

Everything was Blue Funnel style and the younger guys in the Bar asked if Terry (Our Notary)could round up some girls for a party. We had a fairly wild bunch in the office at that time and it didn't take long to make the arrangements.

Apparantly the girls enjoyed the Ajax so much that they drove down to Corpus Christi, the next loading port for more of the same the next weekend.

Now they are respectable housewives for the most part.

Ian

Trident
16th February 2008, 03:59
{Quote}Apparantly the girls enjoyed the Ajax so much that they drove down to Corpus Christi, the next loading port for more of the same the next weekend.

Now they are respectable housewives for the most part.

Ian.

I like it, especially the last part .... Al

BillH
6th December 2008, 18:45
I was Snr Electrician on board these two Bulk Carriers, the last remaining two of the Blue Funnel Line ships, when they were sold to Black Sea interests.
Anchises was handed over on 21/12/83 at Lisnav drydock in Almada, Lisbon.
Ajax was handed over on 27/03/84 at Lisnav drydock in Almada, Lisbon.
We drydocked each ship in the same dock which was the biggest in europe.
If you looked down from the statue of Christ (Christo Ris) the size of this drydock was unbelievable. We looked like a toy sharing the same dock as the Super Tanker ahead of us.
I still have a AH house flag from one of these bulkers. They were nice ships too, built methodically in Japan.
Ah well, all nostalgia now!(A)
ANCHISES (5th of name in fleet) (1973 - 1983) “A “ class bulk carrier.

O.N. 360145. 16,406g. 10,420n. 579' 11"(BB) x 75' 2" x 34' 8"
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S. A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W 6K74EF type oil engine made by Mitsui Zosen, Tamano. 11,600 BHP. 15 kts.

3.4.1973: Launched by Mitsui Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Osaka (Yard No. 939), for Ocean Transport & Trading Ltd.
1973: Completed for Elder Dempster Lines Ltd., (Ocean Fleets Ltd., managers).
1977: Transferred to Blue Funnel Bulkships Ltd., (same managers).
21.12.1983: Sold to the USSR-Black Sea Shipping Company, Russia, and renamed AYTODAR.
1990: Transferred to SOVCOMFLOT Akp., (USSR-Black Sea Shipping Company, managers), Russia.
1991: Sold to Aitodor Shipping Company Ltd., (Unicom Management Services (Cyprus) Ltd., managers), Malta, and renamed AITODOR.
1994: Caravella Shipping Company Ltd., Malta, appointed as managers.
14.1.1997: Arrived at Alang for demolition.

AJAX (5th of name in fleet) (1973 - 1984) “A “ class bulk carrier.

O.N. 360120. 16,406g. 10,420n. 579' 11"(BB) x 75' 2" x 34' 8"
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S. A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W 6K74EF type oil engine made by Mitsui Zosen, Tamano. 11,600 BHP. 15 kts.

12.1.1973: Launched by Mitsui Shipbuilding & Engineering Company, Osaka (Yard No. 938), for the Ocean Steamship Company Ltd.
15.1.1973: Owners restyled as Ocean Transport & Trading Ltd.
1973: Completed for Ocean Titan Ltd., (Ocean Fleets Ltd., managers).
1974: Transferred to Elder Dempster Lines Ltd., (same managers).
1977: Transferred to Blue Funnel Bulkships Ltd., (same managers).
27.3.1984: Sold to the USSR-Black Sea Shipping Company, Russia, and renamed ADLER.
1990: Transferred to SOVCOMFLOT Akp., (USSR-Black Sea Shipping Company, managers), Russia.
1991: Sold to Adler Shipping Company Ltd., (Unicom Management Services (Cyprus) Ltd., managers), Malta.
2.1992: Sold to Neptune Maritime S. A., (Canopus Shipping S. A., managers), Panama, and renamed NORTH WIND.
7.1993: Sold to Jasmine Maritime Corporation, (Leone Maritime S. A., managers), Panama, and renamed CANNES.
6.1999: Sold to M & P International Shipping Inc., (Ravenscroft Shipping Inc., managers), and renamed ELIZEBETH, under Panama registry.
9.2001: Owners and managers deleted from Lloyds Register – to be demolished.