Hello from Denmark

Udkik
2nd March 2005, 15:01
Hello from Denmark...

Apparently being the first dane to join this forum, I am curious to see what it may bring. I have been working as journalist (lately as photographer and author too) most of my life, and I love to see and learn more about classic ships.

Just now I look forward to next winter (2005/06) when Hurtigruten in Norway will be putting not only Lofoten of 1964, but also Nordstjernen of 1956 into the famous trade along the beautiful coast of Norway. I plan to use the new three-weeks-go-as-you-please Hurtigruten ticket to get the experience of travelling with these two nostalgic pearls in everyday winter schedule. (would be my third roundtrip aboard M/S Lofoten)

Right now I am working on a new book - an illustrated list of all the 462 passenger vessels and ferries trading in, from and to Denmark - not only the big ones and these flying the danish flag. Unfortunately, we have no shipowners in Denmark operating cruise ships.

This was my hallo from the country of Hans Christian Andersen and Arnold Peter Moeller (Maersk) - a country where the highest hill measures 170,75 m above the sea.

Rgds

Anders Riis

flyer682
2nd March 2005, 19:50
Welcome aboard Udkik. For your interest, two photos of a Danish-built coaster still alive and well in New Zealand under the name RANGATIRA. Built in 1970, her original name escapes me but her previous name was JENKA.

Ron B Manderson
2nd March 2005, 19:58
welcome
so should be able to tell us some tales then
LOL
Ron
y

Udkik
2nd March 2005, 20:46
Welcome aboard Udkik. For your interest, two photos of a Danish-built coaster still alive and well in New Zealand under the name RANGATIRA. Built in 1970, her original name escapes me but her previous name was JENKA.

Hello flyer682!

Thank you for the warm welcome here from the unusual snowy danish countryside (we got 20 cm of snow today). The coaster (IMO 7022928) was built by Nordsøværftet A/S, Ringkjøbing DK, c/n 52, for shipowners at the danish baltic island Bornholm, name BOKUL homeport RØNNE (DK) until 1978.
1978-84 name GREAT CIRCLE homeport GEORGETOWN.
1984-2001 again under danish flag, name JENKA homeport MARSTAL, but already from 1999 operating out of New Zealand.

Jan Hendrik
7th March 2005, 12:03
Goodday Anders,
You might be the first Dane, but I am half a Dane having worked 39 years for a Danish Company..... Welcome and do not forget there is a Danish built ro/ro pass. vessel on the interisland run in New Zealand.
I was on board last year (business wise) and she is still going strong.
I come from a country (Holland) where the highest mountain is 325 metres , so we beat you there.
med venlig hilsen
Jan
without antifouling you do not get far.