Ellerman Wilson Line HULL.

Richie two
3rd May 2007, 19:51
as a lad in the late 50s,, I sailed in the old Consuelo,, as a catering boy, Captain Gillis,,now there was a man to be reckoned with, did the north atlantic run,cant ever remember a good crossing,bloody ship used to delve deep, but always came back, another one of the same type was the sister ship Marengo, must have done ten trips in her, always a good crowdand a couple of trips even got Capt Gillis LOL,, but loved that ship,came off when she went in for survey, and never managed to get back, did a couple of trips Brodino, Volo, and more , getting married seemed to end that life, always missed it, retired now, but still in Hull good city

captainchris
3rd May 2007, 21:47
Hi Richie,
Was on Borodino, London, Copenhagen, Aahus and Odense, in the early '60's
Also Teano, West Indis, Copenhagen, and the Electro, the only Wilson Boat registered in London, London Antwerp.
Regards,
Chris

Plumber
4th May 2007, 13:49
Hi Richie,
I sailed in Livorno,Leo,Sacramento,Borodino between 1955 and 1958.
Lived in Hull, but it took 6 years at sea before being offerd a Wilson ship.
Left the sea in 1958 and never met any old shipmates again.
Did you ever read Laurie Kohlers's book,he was Bo'sun of the Borodino during my time on her?
Regards
Terry

Richie two
6th May 2007, 10:30
cheers Captain Chris, seems we were around about the same time in the Borodino, for my sins, i also sailed in Cosuelo Marengo, Ariosto VoloTrentino but I did manage to get away from E Wilsons, cape town castle athel sultan, that was another ship i remember with happy memories, did most of the world except Aussie and always wanted to go there Still do,, chheers mate and thanks Rich

Richie two
6th May 2007, 10:37
Hello Plumber,, thakyou for your reply appologies for my delay had trouble with my computer, only one ship in common mate Borodino, did a couple of trips on her,good bunch of lads still have happy memories and managed to see a couple of them today,if you look at my reply to Capt Chris you will see I sailed in a few Wilson line ships, and still live in Hull retired, when I left the sea took a few mundne jobs even a bus conductor,, but the longest job was as LIcencee, think a lot of x seamen did that along with x football players Should say Rugby as its Hull chheers mate hope to hear again from you take care Richard Palmer.

Plumber
7th May 2007, 19:50
Hi Richie,
Thanks for the reply.
It would appear we also have the Athelsultan in common. My trip was 1956, hoping for a long trip so that I could buy a house. Lasted 3 months then back to Saltend.
Joined RAF 1958, last ship heavy lift job Goodhope Castle.
In 1970 went to Capper Pass, but eventually went back to working abroad in various refineries.
Left Hull in 1977, retired 1998,now living in Nottinghamshire.
Time sure moves fast
Keep in touch
Regards

Terry

Richie two
18th May 2007, 12:25
Hi again Plumber, its a thankyou again mate,good to hear from you, seems we were missing each other in our seafaring days,, My time on the Athel Sultan was from march 58 to Nov 58, there was great crowd on there at the time,, absolutly crackers LOL. sailed to quite a few places mollasses. from one side of the world to the other had some great days in Beunos Airs. The Borodino was May 62,, my cousin was on her his name is Colin Malton KNow him ??? great to chat mate keep it up Richard Palmer. HULL still

Richie two
18th May 2007, 12:33
hello again Chris, possible we were on the Borodino same time,, good little ship good crowd on her as well I did two trips on her June 62 before getting married, my cousin was also on her Colin Malton, he had a sister living in Copenhagen, so we visited her happy memories from that time most of my Wilson Time was over the Atlantic Consuelo Marengo, many times, good to hear from you again cheers Richard Palmer,

captainchris
19th May 2007, 21:29
Hi Richie,
Can't remember much of the crew artthe time, was on Teano first with Plumridge the Bosun, and John Brassington as Bosun's mate, but good crew on both boats. Captain of Borodino was Gill, although we had a few whilst I was on board, Captain of Teano was, I think, Wray, and we had another one there, but I can't think of his name. Funnily enough I am now working in the same area as we used to work in the 60's.
Best regards,
Chris

theaskew
16th June 2007, 14:54
Hi Richie
I did 3 trips on Marengo from 8-58 to 11-58,It was Capt,Stokes then.
I did 2 trips 6-62 to sept,62.With Capt Gillis your right he was a man
to be reckoned with.He used to have us stand near the gangway in port.
He was ok.Ive also sailed on Livorno,Bravo,Cavallo,Malmo,Trentino,Rappallo,
Rinaldo,Spero.As you can guess I am from Hull
Regards Artie

Richie two
14th July 2007, 19:20
Hello again Artie, sorry about the delay, I am a novice with these machines had it a couple of years and still at the n umber one stage lol,, as I said Captain Gillis he was a bastxxx as youll know, remember he did the gang plank thing in Aberdeen, often wondered what made him tic lol. made me behave myself, like you from Hull, would love to live in permament sunshine, but this is what life gave me hope to hear from you again cheers for now Rich.

theaskew
17th July 2007, 13:14
Hi Rich
I know what you mean with the computer,I am still in the
Learning stage,yes Capt,Gillis was a right B;& the rest at times.I dont
know if you knew Frank Blampey AB from Hull.He used to give Gillis as good
as he got & got away with it.More than I did.
Regards Artie

Plumber
17th July 2007, 15:48
Hi Rich,and Artie,(Gpsyville is it),
It was the name Frank Blampey that struck a chord. Ican't remember which ship.
Jardine was Captain of the Borodino when I was on. The Gentleman of Wilsons,I believe they called him.
Terry

theaskew
18th July 2007, 16:00
Hi Terry
Yes Frank Blampey was Hessle road.Three of us used to sail
together,Frank-Arthur Birch & me.good shipmates,Frank would
call a spade (a spade)he used to say to the mate's etc,them stripes
dont make you any differant to me.He loved his rum,who did'nt.He and
Arthur is no longer with us,Bless them.
Artie

Plumber
21st July 2007, 16:03
Hi Artie,
Don't know if I'm right or not,but I associate Frank with Nikki Telford,does that name mean anything to you?
Plus,Stan Green and Alan Norris.

Terry

theaskew
22nd July 2007, 14:43
Hi Terry
I am not certain of them names,but Frank was around long before I
got to know him.Are you from Hull ?.we used Kingfisher pub a lot while
on leave.
Artie

Plumber
23rd July 2007, 09:00
Hi Artie,
Yes I am from Hull,Scarborough St, followed by St.Georges Rd. then Priory Rd.
Went to sea in 1949 after 3 years Trinity House.
Left Hull 1959 after joining the RAF,now living in Nottinghamshire about as far away from the sea as you can get.
Its true though, the sea never leaves you..
First ship was Moorcot,Hull to Port Pirie,63days.Didn't see home again for 18 months, but covered a hell of a lot of world.
Trouble is at my age you tend to forget the names of all those shipmates of long ago until someone reminds you.
In those days the regular pubs used were The Monument,Whitefriargate,
Blue Heaven,Marfleet,and the one under Burtons,and the BOT Exam Centre in town.
Usually followed by City Hall on a Saturday night.
I remember the Borodino had a cycling club run by Laurie Kohler the Bo'sun, he called it the Wheelers.We covered pubs from Hull to Hornsea.
Great Days.

Regards

Terry

theaskew
23rd July 2007, 15:37
Hi Terry
I had a feeling you was,Hessle road man.I went to sea 1955 after Gravesend
Sea School,Mv woolwich 8 month trip.As you know Posterngate our Shipping
Office was down there.When we sailed on Wilson Line we used to pay off there & head for Bonny Boat near market.Empress under Burtons,White Lion &
the rest.I'm not very good at remembering name's.Did you know Alan Carlson
from Marmaduke street,a good shipmate of mine.Terry Chapman &brother John
Nipper Douglas, Tornberg.
Regards Artie

Plumber
25th July 2007, 13:32
Hi Artie,
The name Terry Chapman rings a bell,but again ,Idon't know where from.
Probably after your time but John Prescott used to collect the Political Levy (1shilling) outside the union office in Posterngate.
I have a few photos of some of the old Hull lads from those days but I can't put names to them all.
One ship, the "Riley", another tramp for a long trip, I was the oldest deckhand at 21.That was about 1953/54. A hell of a good trip though.
I should say except for the Bosun, I think his name was Bill Sampson.

All the best

Terry

Richie two
25th July 2007, 19:16
Hello again, you can add me to the Hessle Road list, Wassand Street, was there until demolition, most of my life was as a Licencee in Hull, you have all brought some great memories for me think we all drank in the same watering holes great pubs in those days,, names escape me, bet we have all sailed with each other , the name Frank Blampy would have really liked to have met him any one that stood up to Gillis gets my vote . keepp jolting my memories been great Rich.

theaskew
26th July 2007, 14:20
Hi Terry.you may have known terry Chapman & brother John,also Arthur & Ron
Birch.I wish my memory was a bit better.I guess we all know John Prescott,my
father knew him well.I remember Ken Turner in the union office.There was another pub next to Bonny boat Kingston I think used to be handy.If you
remember any names on your photo's let us know.You certainly had ayoung
crew on the Riley
Regards Artie

theaskew
26th July 2007, 14:43
Hi Rich.I bet you have some good memories.you another Hessle road man.
It has'nt changed much down there,a few new shops.I bet we have all
sailed together or met each other.You will have to let us know what pubs
you was Licencee at.My father used to have a Pub The Sculcoats Hotel
better known as Top Shop down Wincolmlee,on the riverside.Just up the road
was the Bay Horse.Yes you would have loved Frank Blampey he was a great
shipmate & friend.he would stand up to anyone
Regards Artie

Richie two
28th July 2007, 11:45
Hello Artie, when the Borodino docked, we could see her from our street end, Hessle Road , your right it hasnt changed much, think maybe the people are a bit different from what Ive seen LOL,,, pubs started in the Talbot, Paragon square, then on to the Greenwood, 6 yrs. across town to Dolphin and Punch bowl James Reckitts Ave, left Hull for Pocklington, near York a number of years there,, then it all started to go **** up, and the whole industry changed, pubs are not the same even our favourates could rabbit on all day but this site is about ships not lives LOL cheers Richard.

theaskew
28th July 2007, 14:47
Hi Rich
Yes you are right,the site is about ships.You know we could have evan
sailed together on the Marengo.I did 3 trips on her,Aug,1958 to Nov 58.
Then 2 trips,July !962 to Sept 62.Was you on her around them times ?
You never know we may have crossed paths sometime.
Cheers Artie

Plumber
29th July 2007, 10:21
Hi Artie,
If ever I manage to find a way to post these old photos of mine you can browse them for old mates.
Frank Blampey may have been on the run job we did on the old Port Campbell,practically the last coal burner,Hull to Bremerhaven,then London.
I signed on for the following voyage,but the rest went home.1952 I think.
Other names are,Brooks,Bill Smith,Ken Reed,plus another Ken,his mate.Ginger Roberts.
I shall have to try hard with the old thinking cap.

Regards

Terry

Richie two
29th July 2007, 13:25
Hi Artie,, heres my dates Marengo,june 59,, 4 trips,,a couple trips Rinaldo, then back to Marengomarch 61 for 5 trips,, then on Consuelo seems I was a glutton for punishment most of that time was with capt Gillis LOL. does any O theses dates tie up with you cheers again Richard.

theaskew
30th July 2007, 14:00
Hi Terry
I bet you knew Frank Blampey.As you say he may have been on the run job
with you.A couple of them names ring a bell with me,Brooks,Ken Reed,Ginger
Roberts.But as I say my memory is not to good.I sometime wonder were the
time has gone.
Regards Artie

theaskew
30th July 2007, 14:24
Hi Rich
Your post just seems to have come through now.June 59,I was on the
Livorno.In 61 Jan I joined the LA HORTENSIA,a 15 month trip.After that I was
back on the Marengo,June 62.I guess we have just been missing each other.
Did you use to put the rope lifeline along the main deck on the Marengo.Is
that the ship you could go through the engine room to get forward ? You
certainly was a glutton for punishment been with Capt, Gillis most of the time.
Regards Artie

theaskew
31st July 2007, 13:46
Hi Rich & Terry
I sent 2 posts but I dont know were there have gone to.
1 post was duplicated so I deleted one & there both vanished.I must have done something wrong.have to see if I can find them.
Artie

theaskew
31st July 2007, 13:50
Hi Rich & Terry
My posts are there now.
Artie

Richie two
15th September 2007, 13:13
Hello again Artie,, did 4 trips Marengo ,,june 59 toojan 1960,a couple of trips on th Rinaldo,, then back to Marengo,,for 6 trips,march 61 to dec 61, as you can see was a glutton for the north atlantic LOL,really enjoying this site, bringing back so many happy memories, as for the pubs,, yes bet we have drank together ,, sorry about the delay in answering, still a real poor letter writer cheers again richard.

Plumber
17th September 2007, 20:16
Hi Arty & Richie,
My brother took me through to Hull last week, I couldn't believe what I saw.

Different generations different ideas I guess.
No Monument pub,No Town Dock, No Regal and Electricity showrooms, in Fact, No Hull.
Thank God for our memories

theaskew
18th September 2007, 14:52
Hi Richie
We have certainly crossed paths in Wilson Line,and the pubs.
I was on the Rinaldo April 1966.Looks as if you was happy to do
the North Atlantic run.To be honest I really did'nt mind It.I only
wish my memory was up to scratch.
Regards Artie

theaskew
18th September 2007, 15:04
Hi Terry
Hope you was'nt to dissapointed with your trip
to Hull.A lots changed over the years.A big new
shopping centre opens this week at ST Stephen square.
New bus station & rail station opened yesterday.Its a good
you have your memories,we cannot stop progress.
Regards Artie

joe donovan
4th November 2007, 01:29
Hi all you natives of Hull. I have read all your messages hoping to hear if anyone can remember The Albano. I did several trips on her London to Copenhagen then we were all discharged in Hull. I have good memories of Hull though I was just passing through. I with most of the others were drunk as lords. I sat in one boozer when one of your men from Hull asked me my name. He then gave me my pay off that I had dropped. All white fivers. A good honest guy. I had a job to make him take anything for his honesty. Wonder if it would happen now. Good luck to you all. Joe.

Geoff of Hull
4th November 2007, 19:34
So glad you enjoyed your times in Hull and the honesty of most people from there ie pay off...I am in my 44th year now and was on Hull pooll to the death..like some one said in a previous thread it took him 4 years before he was offered a Wilson boat..I got one 3rd trip to sea as JOS but that was the last always shanghied for long uns tramps and tankers..I know most of the names in these threads on Wilsons alas most have crossed the bar now although was talking to Nipper Douglas 4 weeks ago he lives in Northern Cyprus now Geoff

theaskew
6th November 2007, 18:11
Hi Geoff
I remember Nipper Douglas well.He was best friends with
Terry Chapman.Terry told me Nipper lived in Cyprus.As you
know Terry is no longer with us.I finished up on the Dredgers
with Terry.
Regards Artie

Geoff of Hull
18th November 2007, 11:03
Hello Artie..I saw in the Hull Daily Mail it was Good old Terry Arnolds 70th if he was still around shame after all the years at sea to have that horrendous accident with a good buddy of mine Kenny Hales..
must admit the game fell to peaces with all this bull that has sprung up ie health and safety i have just recently witnessed 2 filipino ab's who had never been on a stage and they were both in there 30's only knot they possess in their itinerary is a bowling and a clove hitch which majority of the time ends up a cow hitch!! trouble is it's Scaffolding for everything now although safer but has its limitations.
Well I will make this months MN reunion in Hull this month so will catch up with real sailors etc....regards Geoff

theaskew
18th November 2007, 17:12
Hi Geoff
I sailed with Terry Arnold he was a good mate & seaman.It was a
terrible accident in the dock. Did one of the Birch brothers survive it.
I agree with you about all the health & safety.I found it more of a
hindrance climbing around with harnesses etc,.I bet a lot went through
your mind watching the 2 filipino's on the (stage)Its all behind me now,
just lots of memories. I'm 70 next.Nice to hear from you.
Regards Artie

Geoff of Hull
19th November 2007, 10:47
One of the Birch boys Brian was involved..Was reading some of the other bumf on here about Capt Gillis the only guy to mark my discharge book in 40 years!!plus a pool burn down,my wife of a couple of weeks went into hospital with appendix and I got to goole as the vessel was leaving the lock so I got a taxi to pier and went out on the pilot launch he said I ain't slowing down to pick an AB up (he had free pilot age I guess) so that was that...BUT he ended up as the seamens welfare officer of Hull how hypercritical can one get

theaskew
19th November 2007, 15:38
Hi Geoff
Yes I thought It was Brian Biirch.So you had a run in with Gillis.Under your
Circumstances there no way he should have marked your book,but thats
Gillis allright.He knew you was trying to get back to the ship.I never knew he
ended up seamans welfare officer (hypercritical) is the right word.
Regards Artie

mikematthews
1st January 2008, 20:14
Hello

Dont supose anyone remembers my dad Fred Matthews, he was donkeyman and motor man in Wilsons ships in the 1940 till 1960 then worked on the Forto and Presto.

slick
1st January 2008, 22:18
All,
On a lighter note, did anyone sail on the Brasso, Smoko, or the F*******kno,
I lived in Hull on Hessle Road, Carlton Villas on Hawthorn Road, and I stayed with John Eland who's family were Wilson people through and through.
Yous aye,
Slick

hughesy
2nd January 2008, 05:05
Hi Terry
could you tell me the name of that book, I would be interested in reading. as a guy from Hull myself now living in Portland oregon.
Thanks very much, All the best for the new Year.
Terry Hughes(Hughesy)

hullmna
24th February 2008, 11:09
Hi Terry
Yes Frank Blampey was Hessle road.Three of us used to sail
together,Frank-Arthur Birch & me.good shipmates,Frank would
call a spade (a spade)he used to say to the mate's etc,them stripes
dont make you any differant to me.He loved his rum,who did'nt.He and
Arthur is no longer with us,Bless them.
Artie
I sailed with Frank Blampey the last time was on the Bassano running from the Med to the great lakes. He was a great shipmate as was his long time friend Frankie Barker.
I paid off following an accident in Montreal in 1966, I understand Capt Gillis joined the ship just after, thank god I was not there, I had sailed with Gillis twice before on the Marengo. It was good to see so many of my old long gone friends mentioned Ron & Arthur Birch some I still see do you remember Jack Cammish.

theaskew
24th February 2008, 16:10
Hi Hullmna
As I said Frank Blampey was a good shipmate of mine.
Frank, Arthur Birch & me sailed together,we liked to get away for a
few months.I sailed with Arthurs brother (Ronnie) a few times in Jebsens.As
you may know he was donkeyman.Yes I remember Jack Cammish,I have been
in his company a few times,in differant pubs.As you will have seen,I was with
Gillis on the Marengo.
Regards Artie

hullmna
25th February 2008, 19:10
Hi Artie, I knew the Birch brothers Ron & Arthur very well, since they all lived in Gladstone Street. I never sailed with either of them, but my late brother Brian Piercy was a close friend and shipmate of both. He also sailed in Jebsons as I think as Donkeyman, I will be seeing Jack Cammish on Friday at the Hull MNA meeting, I sailed with him on the Rotherwick Castle. I hope I'm doing this right I hav'nt posted on site before. Best regards Eddie

theaskew
29th February 2008, 16:39
Hi EddIe
Your posts are ok.Yes the Birch brothers was from Gladstone Street,
Im sure I knew your late brother,I certainly know his name.I may have sailed
with him.My memory is not so bright.I am tryingto think of amate of mine,his
name Keith,cannot recall 2 name at the moment.He go's to MNA every
Friday,his wife (Beryl) dont think I spelt that right.Did you know Maurice
Grantham,he passed away recently.he was in Castle Hill same time as my wife. Regards Artie

hullmna
1st March 2008, 21:10
Hi Artie, yes I knew Maurice Grantham well, I attended his funeral service back in January. The Keith you mentioned, the only one that comes to mind is Stephenson, there was around 100 at Fridays meeting and with the tots flowing its hard to remember who was there. There was a death reported a Charlie Powell, I believe he was from the Hessle Road area, I did'nt know him very well, he was a trawler skipper. Another old seaman I was talking too was Frankie Dawes, do you know him ?, he lives in the North Hull area Regards Eddie

theaskew
3rd March 2008, 18:27
Hi Eddie
Keith Stephenson rings a bell,I used to see him regular on Holderness road.
I beleive he lives in Brazil street.I know he goes to MNA on a Friday.We sailed
together,mention my name to him next time you see him.I dont recollect
Charlie Powell.Frankie Dawes rings a bell.I think you got Keiths name right,now
I think about it.I had a yarn with Maurice while he was in Castle Hill.to be honest I didn't reconognise him at first,with his long hair!. Regards Artie

hullmna
6th March 2008, 12:17
Hi Artie, I will mention your name to Keith, I will see him next week on the MNA trip to Bridlington. I notice you sailed on the Marengo, I was on her 21/8/61 to 19/11/61. I dont remember many of the crew, the Bosun was call Cyril ?, down below I remember Bobby Lyons, Ken Toohie, and the Burns brothers Ted & John, all slipped the hook now I'm afraid. It was on her that, I met 2 of my brothers in montreal, all on different ships, Brian was on the Athel Princess been away 11 months, another brother David was outward bound on the Consuelo. We are ended up in Joe Beef's, the mate Robertson(Marmalade) gave me the day off, that was a first!!. I have just remembered that Billy Lound AB, was aboard, as he recieved news of his brother being lost off Flamborough on a Hull trawler the Kingston Turquiose I think. Regards Eddie.

theaskew
6th March 2008, 16:21
Hi Eddie
Yes I was on the Marengo,3 trips in 58 & 2 in 62.I have sailed with Cyril the
Bosun In Wilsons Bobby Lyons I beleive lived in Charles Street,I sailed with
him.I knew the Burns brothers well.Joe Beef's was well known,had a few bevy's in there.Tell Keith not to get to drunk.Enjoy your trip. Regards Artie

mike patterson
24th March 2008, 19:29
Hi,my name is mike patterson, my dad neville served on borodino late 50s early 60s . Trying to find anyone that sailed with him. As for as i know he started as cabin boy and left as steward dont really know much inbetween .He served on tinto tasso and on a ship called Boltrover may be from another firm. thanks.

hullmna
29th March 2008, 21:02
Hi Mike, although I sailed on the Borodino in April/May 1964, I cannot recall that I sailed with your father. The Tasso & Tinto both belonged to the Ellermans Wilson Line as did the Borodino, the Baltrover was a ship of the United Baltic Co. I am a member of the Hull MNA and will ask if anyone knew or sailed with your father. Regards Eddie

harvey19a
13th April 2008, 08:15
Hi guys,
I was with Ellerman and Bucknall, deep sea, but did the odd trip with Wilsons in the 70's. The Rapallo first of all - the O/M had a glass eye, One-Eyed Wal from Withernsea. Later the Silvio ( and sisters) with Capt. Willy White (from Goole) and Chief Engineer Sid Butlin. Can't remember much else now I'm afraid.

mike patterson
23rd April 2008, 21:43
Hi Richie,
Was on Borodino, London, Copenhagen, Aahus and Odense, in the early '60's
Also Teano, West Indis, Copenhagen, and the Electro, the only Wilson Boat registered in London, London Antwerp.
Regards,
Chris

Hi i don,t know if you have read ay of my posts, my name is mike patterson my dad served on Borodino poss early 60 s he seemed to work for a few different companys starting with port line in the 50s and then wilsons and possibly B P tankers somewhere along the line. we lived on waterloo st until 1966 when he left the sea . while at sea i am lead to believe he started as cabin boy ,steward and captains steward . as yt i cannot find anyone that new him wondering if you can help thanks.

captainchris
23rd April 2008, 21:50
Hi Mike,

The name doesn't ring a bell at the moment. However somebody might come up with it.

Best regards,

Chris

mikematthews
27th April 2008, 20:59
Hello, Just wondered if anyone remembers my dad Fred Matthews, sailed with Wilsons in 1940s,1950s, and 1960s as motor man then went on the two tugs Photo and Presto, then on the shore gang before moving to Wilsons yard down williamson St Hull as boilerman until the company folded.

john meekin
11th September 2008, 18:15
Hi Eddie
Yes I was on the Marengo,3 trips in 58 & 2 in 62.I have sailed with Cyril the
Bosun In Wilsons Bobby Lyons I beleive lived in Charles Street,I sailed with
him.I knew the Burns brothers well.Joe Beef's was well known,had a few bevy's in there.Tell Keith not to get to drunk.Enjoy your trip. Regards Artie

hi theskew. my names john meekin,deck boy carlo riolto 1956,os dago cicero boridino1957,edh trentino x9 58-59,ab volo 1960, ab cattaro marengo rapallo,1962-1963,i knew a lot of the names mentioned,i knew frank lampy on the prospereo (not wilsons),great to hear the names again. regards john

terry8541
11th September 2008, 18:49
Hi John, you gave me some great memories, Joe Beefs bar Montreal, I was a cadet on the Rialto 1958 for a few trips captain Greenhill the Master, The lads took me into Joe beefs went in a boy came out a man, great memories, Terry

BillH
12th September 2008, 11:28
Having read this thread and noted numerous ship names and comments about photos etc I would like to recommend the following publication.

WILSON LINE by John Harrower published as hardback A4 format in 1998 by the World Ship Society ISBN 0 905617 72 X

216 pages with complete fleet details and copious amounts of photos. I believe still available.

Regards
Bill

john meekin
12th September 2008, 17:32
hi ,i was on the marengo,mar ,63,we had just gone through the pentlands ,into a force 10.we had a right bouncer,gillis did,nt hold back,and one of the passengers gave birth,noone knew she was pregnant,they called the wee girl gale margo, i wonder how she grew up? regards to all john meekin

john meekin
15th September 2008, 14:57
hi arty,you being hessle road,did you ever come across keith hewlet,50s-60s.he lived in greek st,ex fishing,i was with him on trentino,one 1st class man,i believe he went back fishing,and was lost from the quayside in scarborough a sad end to a great shipmate.regards john meekin.p.s.iwas brought up round the corner from the chapman brothers,i was waterloo st,they were beech street

john meekin
15th September 2008, 23:48
hi artie,i,m wondering about frank blampy? the blampy i knew on the prospero in 1963 would have been a bit older than me,iwas 23 then,i think he married a girl turner,he had a mate artie shaw,who didn,t go to sea,he only went out when blampy was home.the last time i saw him was in k.g.5. london,64.is this the same blampy?regards john meekin

theaskew
19th September 2008, 19:26
Hi John
I was in Keith Hewlet Company at one time.Forget what pub we were in.
Yes I believe there were Beech street.You know John Chapman & Terry
Have passed away.there is only Brian now.I dont think Frank Blampy ever
married,not that I know of.Artie Shaw was one of Franks drinking pals.
Frank has passed away now,he worked in one of the fish houses on Hessle
Road.The Birch brothers were his close pals.Ron & Arthur.I Have been in
your company John
Regards Artie

john meekin
4th October 2008, 19:26
last time i was in hull,iwas round the victoria pier area,i was amazed when i saw the old town dry dock all silted up,i rememberworking for brighams,and having to sweep all the silt away from the outside of the gates.would,nt that drydock have been a great perminent berth for the artic corsair instead of rotting away on the river berth, i dont think she would have the expense of a survey out of water.regards to all john meekin

theaskew
7th October 2008, 15:49
Hi John
There was talk of doing the old fish dock up & berthing the Arctic Corsair there.That would have been great.( You never know)We can hope
Regards Artie.

paul rennison
8th October 2008, 17:10
Joined my first ship there at Christmas 1964, MV Silver Comet, didn't they berth the Manxman there for a while as a restaurant / nightclub?, but you're right it would have made a good berth for the Arctic Corsair.
John, I think I sailed with you on the MV Wakefield of AHL, just a couple of trips to Antwerp, I think you were bosun? I was either cook or A/S, I finished up as 3rd crew barman on the Abbey boats & swallowed the anchor when they wrapped up.
cheers all
Paul (Thumb)

john meekin
8th October 2008, 23:08
hi paul,i dimmly recall a ship being used as a nightclub,(never went aboard).i am not the john meekin you sailed with on the abby boats,that john was my second cousin,we never realy met up while i was sailing out of hull,there was 4 meekins don postengate,johnny jimmy tony(brothers),gabe and me john best regards john meekin

shaun
4th December 2008, 20:26
Hi guys,
I was with Ellerman and Bucknall, deep sea, but did the odd trip with Wilsons in the 70's. The Rapallo first of all - the O/M had a glass eye, One-Eyed Wal from Withernsea. Later the Silvio ( and sisters) with Capt. Willy White (from Goole) and Chief Engineer Sid Butlin. Can't remember much else now I'm afraid.
One eyed Wally Walker from Withernsea, he was the old man on Rialto in 1969/70 which was my last trip to sea. He was a t**t, gave me a single DR on discharge and 3 loggings on Christmas Day in Lagos. I let his parrot committ suicide with a large fan in his cabin. Promised by the pool we would be home for Christmas, docked in March 1970 Alexander dock in Hull a matter of a few weeks before my wedding. Union rep was unable to have the DR removed said that he had tried, been trying ever since Mr Prescott!!

john meekin
8th December 2008, 00:00
One eyed Wally Walker from Withernsea, he was the old man on Rialto in 1969/70 which was my last trip to sea. He was a t**t, gave me a single DR on discharge and 3 loggings on Christmas Day in Lagos. I let his parrot committ suicide with a large fan in his cabin. Promised by the pool we would be home for Christmas, docked in March 1970 Alexander dock in Hull a matter of a few weeks before my wedding. Union rep was unable to have the DR removed said that he had tried, been trying ever since Mr Prescott!!

Hi Shaun,Imust have realy been out of touch,what was Riolto doing down west africa?I thought she never went further south than Montreal.The trip I was on her 1956,deck boy,thats only 52years ago,I must be getting on.regards to all john meekin

john meekin
14th February 2009, 10:01
Joe Cassidy. Joe i got your private message,regarding our time on trentino and cape grenville,but i can,t retrieve the message,can you contact me again please? best regards "blacky" meekin

looneylectrics
15th February 2009, 00:02
Joe Cassidy. Joe i got your private message,regarding our time on trentino and cape grenville,but i can,t retrieve the message,can you contact me again please? best regards "blacky" meekin

Hello John I just cut and pasted this from my sent box, if you go back to the merchant-navy site I also left a post under the Easter Island thread.
looneylectrics
Member Join Date: Nov 2006
My location

Trentino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello John,
after piecing things together I worked out that I sailed with you on the "Trentino". You were called Blackie at the time on account of your bronzy, black hair and black beard. I think you were on daywork with Keith Hewlet for that trip. I remember you and Keith on a stage fish oiling the front of the bridge before painting it. I even remember Keith saying he went through a pair of basketball shoes per trip and this was at a time when flip flops was the usual foot gear. I was sorry to read in another thread that we lost him, I sailed with him on my second trip which was the "Sicilian" he was a happy easy going guy.
I was the peggy who stupidly got drunk in Malta and was all but useless for 3 days. I doubt you will remember me, if you do it won't be for the good impression I made.
I was also on the "Cape Grenville" from June 60 till Feb 61. I was looking on the "Merchant-Navy"site and saw that you sailed on her in 60 but I think you would been been on the trip before me. When I joined her I think she had just discharge logs, I don't know where she loaded them for sure, NW U.S.A. perhaps.

Regards.
Joe Cassidy.

angela59
25th April 2009, 11:14
hi everyone
my grandad was called clifford tye, he live beecroft st, st georges road, he worked as a donkeyman on the tasso ship, i dont really know which tasso there seems a few of them, but he died tragically on hessle road in 1958, he fell off a trolley bus and died on way to hri, i would love to see a photo of the ship but not sure which one, he went to sea in the 1950s from hull, his wife my grandma died in lancashire in 1943 so think he then sailed from hull, anyone who can give me any info would be useful as im doing a family tree book for my new grandson future and would love to put some info in it for him.
can anyone also tell me what a donkeyman did etc as ive no idea, my mam is still alive she is 71 but thats all info i have on my grandad regards to his work etc, love to hear from anyone that knows anything in my search
what a fab site too, love reading your posts etc
angela

K urgess
25th April 2009, 11:22
I've just posted some details in your hello thread, Angela. (Thumb)

guinnessmick
29th April 2009, 22:05
hi i sailed on a few Wilson ships, my first was the albano joined her 10/11/59 to30/1/60 cavallo 18/1/61 to 17/3/61 borodino 30/3/61 to 5/6/61 rollo 21/11/62 to 16/12/62 vasco 12/1/63 to30/3/63 and consuelo 22/4/63 vnc i knew most of the people who you have all mentioned great seamen and for the ones who have gone its a great loss to us all TC was a good friend of mine as is his bro brian but they was just a few of many great lads who sailed out of Hull

davekinda2000
8th March 2010, 19:16
I dont remember anyone but my grandad was the skipper of forto,
Ernnie Thompson (flatty)

sam2182sw
30th May 2010, 20:09
Hi lads i am looking for some info for a pal of mine his father was a steward on the Borodino in the sixties his name Dawson was he was from Hull any info please sam2182sw

The 2nd. Mate
27th August 2010, 19:48
Hi all

I sailed on the "Volo" in the early 60's under Capt. Stilwell , a rather eccentric character. His nickname was 'Flag Jack' because he insisted on every flag being rove half way through the truck.

As an example. He was always immaculately turned out and always phoned his wife from Oslo and I can still picture him in spotless uniform complete with great coat[I] but with a wooly bobble hat on his head[I]
Occasionally, half way back he would grab a broom and start sweeping the quay!

greg mellor
26th November 2013, 07:19
I was in Rollo and Marengo, Ray was the captain of Marengo and as I remember shaky was his nickname. he did not like the North Atlantic run.

Regards Greg

guinnessmick
26th November 2013, 10:47
when i was on the borodino laurie kohlerwas the chippy a guy called bud garner was the bosun both terry & john chapman sadly died plus nipper and barry tornberg

Railton
5th February 2014, 22:42
Hi Rich

please add yourself to our new FB group all about EWL Hull, might bring back some memories for you also you might be able to contribute to the site, Im try to build like a history group on the company, if you know anyone else who might be interested then please share our link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ewlhull/

Regards Andy

armchair
20th February 2014, 10:05
Hello to all ex Ellerman AB's,
Please can you help I'm building a photo album up of my brothers and uncle, sea careers and I know they sailed with Ellerman Wilsons Line out of Hull, my uncle was Alf Dye, AB, I use to board his ship when it docked in Hull Williamrite or Humber dock way back in 1965-1970, can anyone remember him and the Wilson ships he sailed on and if so do you have any stories to pass on to me so I can put them into my album

armchair
20th February 2014, 10:20
Hello, can anyone remember Alf Dye? who sailed on Wilson ships out of Hull my uncle was AB, if you can I would be much obliged if you could pass any info onto me about him and names of the ship or ships he sailed on.

john raddings
29th May 2014, 15:36
I sailed on the Cattaro for 1 trip down the Med, then I was transferred to the cicero on the Gothenburg run. When the ro/ro ferries took over the cicero traded on the eastern Swedish coast.
When that trade finished I joined the Volo for 1 trip to Oslo before the Volo was sold to the Greeks
I finished my time on the Ciceros sister ship the Rollo

martinski
21st July 2014, 11:13
My mother, Betty 'Jane' Russell, and my father, Derek Taylor, were both stewards on, I believe, the Malmo, sailing, I think out of Hull to Stockholm in 1953/54. Does anyone remember my dad?

guinnessmick
21st July 2014, 17:55
Hello, can anyone remember Alf Dye? who sailed on Wilson ships out of Hull my uncle was AB, if you can I would be much obliged if you could pass any info onto me about him and names of the ship or ships he sailed on.

i sailed with alfie dye but not on a wison ship i sailed with alf on the baltic star