No Place for a Boy by Tom McCluskie

benjidog
6th May 2007, 23:38
https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/nav2/images/transp._V42753713_.gif No Place for a Boy - A Life at Harland & Wolff
Tom McCluskie. Tempus Books, ISBN: 978 0752 4216 3

This is a new departure for Mr McCluskie (a notorious member of this site) whose previous books have been concerned with the construction of the Titanic and other famous Harland and Wolff ships over its long history.

This book is autobiographical and describes the author's life while he was working for the company. He brings to life the tough world of shipbuilding, the people that worked in the industry and the black humour that acted as a safety valve. Many of the stories of life "as it really was" are hilarious and reflect the resilience of the workers.

The title of the book comes from a remark made to Mr McCluskie's father when he brought his son along to join the company. From the descriptions of life in the company it was indeed "No place for a boy".

The author is in a unique position to tell the story of life in the latter days of H&W having worked his way up through the company from Messenger to become part of the management team. Latterly he assumed responsibility for the immense H&W archive. We owe him a lot - it is mainly due to his efforts that the H&W archive was saved for the nation in the face of corporate indifference bordering on hostility. He was quite rightly awarded an MBE for his services.

The latter part of the book provides an account of the sad decline of H&W as a casualty of the dying UK shipbuilding industry. The author describes the activities of a succession of managers and owners whose efforts seem to have ranged from incompetence, through indifference to asset stripping.

If you visit Belfast today, virtually nothing remains of the vast Harland and Wolff site apart from two giant cranes, a dry dock that is about to be built over, and the old drawing office building where the great H&W ships were designed - and this is being converted into a hotel.

Mr McCluskie has chronicled the disgraceful and pathetic end to a once great institution. The site has been razed without any attempt by the Company or the government to provide the people of Northern Ireland with a legacy of their past.

Such a waste!

This book is an entertaining and informative read for anyone interested in the the decline of the shipping industry and H&W in particular.

Regards,

Brian

gdynia
7th May 2007, 05:10
Oul Hand deserves a second MBE for writing it. Cannot stop laughing

aleddy
7th May 2007, 05:42
I,ll be asking at Angus & Robertson's Book World in BrisVegas if it is planned to be published in the colonies, otherwise I shall be asking my brother in England to send me an early Christmas present
cheers
Ted

non descript
7th May 2007, 07:34
Thanks Brian for bringing this to our attention, I'll be off to get a copy. (Thumb)

Chief Engineer's Daughter
7th May 2007, 13:27
An excellent read. Have done absoultley nothing all morning because I have been engrossed in this book.

Well done Tom. (Applause) (Applause) (Applause)

Gulpers
7th May 2007, 16:38
What a gem of a book! (Thumb)

Written with all the sensitivity and humour you would expect of the Author.

Very well done Tom! (Applause)

Go and get your hands on a copy folks. (Read)

K urgess
7th May 2007, 19:00
Already ordered one.
Now I shall have to wait impatiently until it arrives.(Cloud)

aleddy
8th May 2007, 02:28
If Marconi Sahib couln't step out and pick up a copy at the local book shop then I would have a snowballs hope in hell of getting a copy in Oz, just so happens that this day of Lusitania sinking is also the birthday of my brother in England so he can send me a copy for his birthday
Cheers
Ted

Tom S
8th May 2007, 11:22
Aleddy
If you try No Place for a Boy - Tom McCluskie - £15.99 - SHOP.COM UK they post it anywhere in the world
TomS

aleddy
9th May 2007, 02:36
Thanks TomS, I'll try that.
I have used Amazon in the past, am a bit surprised and a little concerned that I had forgotten that avenue
Cheers
Ted

K urgess
11th May 2007, 13:25
Got it!
Arrived this morning.
Being a sparkie means I can read and keep watch at the same time so I won't be signing off articles and going on reading leave.

aleddy
12th May 2007, 05:00
Unheard of in Oz, not surprising.
Will receive a copy via airmail 6 to 8 weeks, must be the Orvil and Wilbur Airline
Ted

K urgess
13th May 2007, 23:54
Read it, finished it.
Only one complaint, too b.... good, Couldn't put it down.
Sunday disappeared and now I have to find something else to match it.
Great stuff.(Thumb)
Kris

Coastie
14th May 2007, 10:49
I had tears rolling down my cheeks when I read about poor unfortunate Archie!! Don't we all know someone like that?!!

Tmac1720
14th May 2007, 15:34
Gentlemen (& Lady)

I am flattered and humbled by your kind remarks, your cheques are in the post(LOL) I'm only too delighted you enjoyed it(Thumb)

gdynia
14th May 2007, 15:39
Tom
You will have to do a follow up

Coastie
14th May 2007, 15:54
Hear, hear, Gdynia.

aleddy
22nd June 2007, 02:33
Hey Tmac oul hand,
By any chance do you know of the difficulties with supply of your book "No place for a boy" with the usually reliable Amazon group.
I have just received an update on filling my order with them, it states " Mid August " and "Maybe not at all " The latter disturbs me.
Cheers
Ted

Duncan112
22nd June 2007, 08:28
Ted,

You have me worried now - I ordered it from Amazon - the other book has arrived but not that one - this has happened to me with Amazon before - books just dropping off the order without any advice from Amazon.

Thanks for the update

Tmac1720
22nd June 2007, 14:29
Ted & Duncan, You have me worried as well whenever I read your comments. I'm sorry but I'm not aware of any problem with Amazon.co.uk regarding supply. I have been informed by the publisher that it is proving very popular and is soon to be reprinted. I've asked them to look into the Amazon situation and as soon as I know anything more I'll let you know.(egg) My apologies for your inconvenience.(POP)

non descript
22nd June 2007, 16:27
Thanks for the update Tom, and it sounds good news all in all, but I hope you get Amazon to sort it out and be more on the ball. Good luck to you Sir. (Thumb)

duquesa
22nd June 2007, 16:57
Just been into my local Waterstones. They do not have it listed under the ISBN number given at the top of this thread. They could order it in at 17.99. So, will go and have a look at what TomS suggested above - shop.com.

Gulpers
22nd June 2007, 18:15
Just been into my local Waterstones. They do not have it listed under the ISBN number given at the top of this thread. They could order it in at 17.99. So, will go and have a look at what TomS suggested above - shop.com.

duquesa,

Ah there's the problem! (Sad)

I have my copy in front of me and the ISBN is;

978-0-7524-4216-7

Tempus Publishing Ltd
The Mill,
Brimscombe Port
Stroud
Gloucestershire
GL5 2QG
UK

Keep chasing it down, it's an excellent read - in fact, now that it's in front of me again, I think I'll retire to the garden and start to re-read it! (==D)

duquesa
22nd June 2007, 18:34
Thanks and yes, that is the correct ISBN given to me by the shop. Amazon are quite amazingly giving 4-6 weeks delivery. Why I have no idea but I'll get one sooner or later.

Tom S
22nd June 2007, 19:50
Try this link The Book Depository they will despatch it within 24hrs
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=0752442163
TomS

Tom S
22nd June 2007, 19:57
Here is another link
http://www.foyles.co.uk/foyles/results.asp
TomS

Gulpers
22nd June 2007, 20:38
Here is another link
http://www.foyles.co.uk/foyles/results.asp
TomS

Are you on commission Tom? (Jester)

Tom S
22nd June 2007, 20:48
Ray
some would say yes,just feel its a good book and more people should read it,it brings back a lot of memories and that is what Ships Nostalgia is about.
Hope you are well
Tom

Gulpers
22nd June 2007, 20:54
Yes Tom, I'm fine thanks!

Couldn't agree more about Tmac's book, I thoroughly recommend it. (==D)
I hope your links help other members to track down a copy because anyone with an interest in shipping will thoroughly enjoy it. (Thumb)

duquesa
22nd June 2007, 21:30
Thanks. Unfortunately they too are showing no availability.

duquesa
22nd June 2007, 21:42
Many thanks - just ordered it from Foyles. They had only two left. £15.99. Dispatch in 1 day.

duquesa
22nd June 2007, 21:51
I am now trying to obtain a copy of " Memories of Derry Quay" by Fred Woods. It is proving to be equally elusive.

eldersuk
22nd June 2007, 22:19
Amazon.co.uk have three copies on offer today, of which I have just ordered one.

Derek

Sister Eleff
23rd June 2007, 01:52
What great reviews, I have taken a note of the ISBN number (thanks benjidog) and will get it when we reach UK in July. If we manage to meet up, you might autograph it for me - please? I come from that area, my Dad was a marine engineer and an Uncle (no relation but old family friend type of uncle) was at Swan Hunter.

aleddy
23rd June 2007, 03:20
With thoughts of a reprint I shall now wait patiently but in the short term would anyone care to to start up a serial in chapter form or perhaps the odd punch line here and there.
Our Kangaroo court system can take care of your case should you run into any copy right problems
Cheers'
Ted

Tom S
23rd June 2007, 08:42
There is a book price comparison site called "Bookbutler" who if you have the details tell you where the book is available how much it will cost and delivery time
Hope it is of assistance

TomS

Tmac1720
23rd June 2007, 13:52
Gentlemen, my sincere apologies to all who are having difficulty in obtaining a copy of this book. The publishers have advised me they do not understand why there should be any difficulty in obtaining copies however they suggest (as they would) it may be purchased direct from them and will be dispatched within 24 hours. The web address is: www.tempus-publishing.com

They have promised to get back to me with the results of their investigation and I will post this for information. In the meantime once again I offer my sincere apology for any inconvenience anybody has been caused(POP) If it is any help waterstones on their site list the stores that have copies available. they may be found at www.waterstones.co.uk

Coastie
23rd June 2007, 13:57
Be honest, Tmac. You weren't expecting it to be so popular so you bought all the copies yourself!! LOL

Tmac1720
23rd June 2007, 13:58
What great reviews, I have taken a note of the ISBN number (thanks benjidog) and will get it when we reach UK in July. If we manage to meet up, you might autograph it for me - please? I come from that area, my Dad was a marine engineer and an Uncle (no relation but old family friend type of uncle) was at Swan Hunter.

Hi Sister Eleff, do you want Benjidog to autograph it or will you settle for second best? I would love to see you on this side of the pond, sure I'd even go as far as buy you a cup of tea and maybe a bun as well(Thumb)
P.S. I wouldn't set much store by the reviews, these guys cost me a fortune in bribes, to tell the truth I didn't buy one either(Jester)

Tmac1720
23rd June 2007, 14:02
Be honest, Tmac. You weren't expecting it to be so popular so you bought all the copies yourself!! LOL

Buy that rubbish,(MAD) you must be joking, bribing you lot cost me a fortune(Jester)

Sister Eleff
23rd June 2007, 23:51
Hi Sister Eleff, do you want Benjidog to autograph it or will you settle for second best? I would love to see you on this side of the pond, sure I'd even go as far as buy you a cup of tea and maybe a bun as well(Thumb)
P.S. I wouldn't set much store by the reviews, these guys cost me a fortune in bribes, to tell the truth I didn't buy one either(Jester)

Apologies Tmac, I can see where the error was made, I was addressing you of course - me old shipmate - I was thanking Benjidog for the ISBN!

Rossbay
24th June 2007, 10:53
I am now trying to obtain a copy of " Memories of Derry Quay" by Fred Woods. It is proving to be equally elusive.

Hi duquesa , you can get the book on e bay , although it should be registered on Amazon soon.

benjidog
24th June 2007, 15:13
I see there is some confusion about the ISBN number of this book.

Probably not helped by the fact that my copy has two different numbers on it! (MAD)

On the back of the book it has ISBN: 978 0752 4216 7
On the intro pages it has: ISBN: 978 0752 4216 3I think this might clear up the Olympic/Titanic conspiracy theories - the ship at the bottom of the Atlantic probably had the name Titanic on the port side and Olympic on the starboard side and the other one the exact opposite. These people from H&W can't get anything right! (Jester)

Author! Author!

Regards,

Brian

duquesa
24th June 2007, 16:00
Rossbay, got your PM and replied. Many thanks.

Tmac1720
24th June 2007, 18:10
Gentlemen and shipmates, once again I am compelled to apologise for an error, not mine, the printers, well that's my story and I'm sticking to it(Jester) The editors, (Benjidog, Gulpers & Gdynia) should be keel hauled(Jester)

The correct ISBN is 978-0-7524-4216-7 I have just discovered an incorrect ISBN number is printed on the introduction page inside the book.
(This incorrect number referred to an earlier version which was not proceeded with) Unfortunately this incorrect number made it onto the introduction page. (POP) Oh well as we always said in H&W if you wanted the ship built right you should have gone to Swan Hunter(Jester)

Honest gents it's not my fault, my John Bull junior printing set just wasn't up to the job.

Coastie
24th June 2007, 18:37
Honest gents it's not my fault, my John Bull junior printing set just wasn't up to the job.

Oh, you've still got one of those too, Tmac!(==D)

Tmac1720
24th June 2007, 18:41
Ay, cost m a fortun from Gulp rs and the bloody " " was missing as w ll(Jester)

Coastie
24th June 2007, 18:49
So THAT's where he got his extra money to buy his new boat??(Jester) (Jester)

Tmac1720
24th June 2007, 18:58
He certainly didn't get it for his whistling(EEK) (Jester)

Coastie
24th June 2007, 18:59
You can hear him from THERE??(Jester) (==D)

Tmac1720
24th June 2007, 19:08
I see there is some confusion about the ISBN number of this book.

Probably not helped by the fact that my copy has two different numbers on it! (MAD)

On the back of the book it has ISBN: 978 0 752 4216 7
On the intro pages it has: ISBN: 978 0752 4216 3I think this might clear up the Olympic/Titanic conspiracy theories - the ship at the bottom of the Atlantic probably had the name Titanic on the port side and Olympic on the starboard side and the other one the exact opposite. These people from H&W can't get anything right! (Jester)

Author! Author!

Regards,

Brian

Hoi Brian you have left a 4 out!!! 978 0 7524 4216 7
I'll bet you were reading this in turkey land with your beer goggles on(Jester)

Gulpers
24th June 2007, 19:09
Oul hand,

As I said before, if I'm whistling, I'm happy - and believe me, that's got to be good news for Coastie! (LOL)

Tmac1720
24th June 2007, 19:13
Aye I've heard about these Coastguard parties. You start of feeling Happy then you all feel Sleepy then a bit Dopey until they go home when you all feel Grumpy

Tmac1720
24th June 2007, 19:14
Oul hand,

As I said before, if I'm whistling, I'm happy - and believe me, that's got to be good news for Coastie! (LOL)

That's NOT whistling, the cheeks of your oxters need oiled(Jester) (Jester)

Coastie
24th June 2007, 19:16
Oul hand,

Ulp! I'll just whistle quietly to myself and slope off quietly whilst no one's looking!(EEK)

Gulpers
24th June 2007, 19:16
That's NOT whistling, the cheeks of your oxters need oiled(Jester) (Jester)

Coastie had better grease the cheeks of his "block" because there's a size 9 heading his way in a moment!(EEK)

Coastie
24th June 2007, 19:19
Gulpers' motto "Have you flogged your crew today??"

Tmac1720
24th June 2007, 19:20
Aye that's what SN is all about, straight from my book to inserting a size nine into Coasties block. Who says we wander off the point? What was the question again(Jester)

Tmac1720
24th June 2007, 19:21
Gulpers' motto "Have you flogged your crew today??"

He tried but apparently you're bloody worthless(Jester) (Jester)

aleddy
26th June 2007, 13:08
What a difference a day makes !, from "not available till mid August" or " maybe not at all" to " it has been posted to you today 26/6 and should reach you by 3/7.
Thank you Amazon, you have made me a very happy chappy.
And thank you to who ever pulled their strings and jerked the slack out of them.
And good luck to whoever else is waiting for their copy of "No Place for a boy"
Cheers
Ted

Duncan112
27th June 2007, 08:30
Mine came yesterday too - many thanks to whoever jolted Amazon into action - next on my list to read once I have finished "Sailortown"

Tmac1720
27th June 2007, 13:08
I'm delighted Amazon got a wriggle on. I understand the publisher had "words" with them(EEK) Hope you lads enjoy the story(Thumb)

Sister Eleff
12th September 2007, 00:43
... Hope you lads enjoy the story(Thumb)

Well this lass certainly did! What a great read, Benjidog gave a great review in the intial post in this thread. I was appalled, horrified, amused and totally fascinated by the book and urge anyone & everyone to read it. It should be compulsory reading in any management course as an example of bad management!

Tmac1720
12th September 2007, 14:28
Thanks nursie and all you other kind folks for your comments on my scribblings, you're making this old fart blush (Gleam)

gdynia
12th September 2007, 14:55
Tom

Its abit like us on the Grand Prix of Dublin appalled, horrified, amused and totally fascinated before the Aliens got us