Electrical sea staff.

railroadbill
7th May 2007, 09:49
Are there any members out there who were sea going Electricians during the 60's,70's and 80's ?
We could do with some of their activity and input on this website as there is little representation as yet, apart from myself that is. I remember the older ones like Ken Oldfield and Bert Tilford for starters. They did coastal voyages on the 'P' and 'H' class steam ships and were the ones who gave new starts their induction. Nice guys too.(==D)

marine master
7th May 2007, 12:28
Spent the 60s and part of the 70s as seagoing electrician. With Common Brothers, Bank line, Stevey Clarkes, Shaw Saville, and Canadian Pacific. Got a million stories to tell, book will appear in the not too distant future. Agree that we need more input from other 'leckies'!

Davy Irvine
7th May 2007, 22:16
Spent from the early 70s to the early 80s as Lecky with Cunard Port Line and Brocklebank. Happiest days of my life. Lots of stories i've forgotton now probably destroyed too many brain cells, wish now I had kept a diary.
The Kiwi coast was magic I do remember that much, The Port Line ships were
great to work on , very well maintained.

iain48
8th May 2007, 19:48
Spent a short spell at sea with Safmarine and Bank Line, on old DC ships,could be hard work but had a load of good times and many good shipmates.

twogrumpy
9th May 2007, 20:39
Served 18 years at sea as Electrician, but as I was on tankers all that time, did not get to all the exotic ports you cargo men managed.
Of course, then again there was the money.

twogrumpy

Trident
12th May 2007, 12:01
I served with Blue Flue as Electrician first as Jnr then Snr between 1960 and 64, then did a short stint with Blue Star.
I would have forgotten most of the guys I sailed with but some of the electricians that I do remember were Tom Archer, Vic Lugten, Ken Oldfield and Errol Henly-Smith who joined A.H. about the same time as me.
Sailed on the Jason,Breconshire,Ajax, Glengyle,Glenfinlas.Gorgon,Glenfallock, Calchas,Clytoneus and Anchises. Some of the above were only coasting.

sparkie2182
21st May 2007, 00:06
just a brief line on behalf of tom................

he was a proud blue funnel man........at sea in the 1950s.....favourite ship was the agememnon.
no other company counted ( i was cunard).........and the blue funnel was the only one worth mentioning as far as he was concerned.
he returned to barrow in furness after his seagoing ......and eventually became the head of the electrical department in the steelworks here.
sadly. about 8 years ago he died of cancer, but the refrain of eternal father at his cremation was a touching reminder of his time with the bluies.

sparkie 2182

Ventry
21st May 2007, 10:24
Served 18 years at sea as Electrician, but as I was on tankers all that time, did not get to all the exotic ports you cargo men managed.
Of course, then again there was the money.

twogrumpy

You would have to go FOC to see real pay differential.

bobw
21st May 2007, 12:19
Started out as 2nd Electrician for E&A on the old Nellore in 1965/66. Aussie coast to Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan sometimes Japan. Went from there to Chief Electrician on Greeks. The Greeks paid 100 British Pounds per month all found with Saturday afternoons and Sundays off at sea. Not bad for the the late sixties. Plenty of overtime if required and the Chief Engineer would double the hours on my time sheet as well ("this company she has plenty money Mister Robert"!). In the early '70's joined Nauru Pacific but they were heading down hill at that stage.

BobW (Jester)

bitterlakes67
24th May 2007, 22:29
Hi
My last voyage as a Junior Electrician was on the Melampus [1967].
I was on it's last trip June 1967 which finnished in the Bitterlakes during the 6 day war.

This year is it's 40th aniversary. This year after many years of searching I managed to track down the 6th Engineer,4th Engineer and the Engineers Junior Steward. I am also hot on the trail of the then Senior Electrician and I believe he lives in Scotland [Jimmy Graham member of the Nestorian Association]. I was hoping some form of re union could be arranged !!!!!!!

Also I had the privalage of proof reading a play about the Ships held in the Bitterlakes written by an Anglo/American Proffesor living in Paris.

Some BF ships I sailed on coasting and deap sea Memnon,Mellampus,Achilles, Glenfalloch [cannot find my old log book to name other BF ships P/A/M class].

I never returned to sea after the 6 day war and returned to study[University] as an Electrical Engineer. Returning to China to teach Product Engineering in China during the mid 1980's

Eur Ing John L Hughes BSc.,C.Eng M.I.E.T

KIWI
25th May 2007, 07:02
Left NZ as engineer on Norwegian tramp,sailed as electrician with P&O & Stanvac.Back to NZ as engineer on a coaster delivery voyage.Use P&O flag in name but to date have not made contact with one of the many I sailed with. The way this site has grown would have thought it was a given.My time was the 50's so guess the time frame comes into it.As has already been stated although there were hard times,boring times,when one returned to civy life there was a loss felt.It was always great to meet an ex seafarer & have a chat. Kiwi

Hugh Ferguson
27th May 2007, 20:04
Anyone remember Bill Pope?

Ventry
30th May 2007, 23:47
I know a Pope called Benedict!

railroadbill
31st May 2007, 11:55
Yes. But the modern ships were well out of his depth!
Don't really know why he was venerated. He was part of the Irish connection of Ocean Fleets.
He used to work for the CIE transport, Ireland in his earlier days.
[=P]

D.J.C.
31st May 2007, 13:20
Are there any members out there who were sea going Electricians during the 60's,70's and 80's ?
We could do with some of their activity and input on this website as there is little representation as yet, apart from myself that is. I remember the older ones like Ken Oldfield and Bert Tilford for starters. They did coastal voyages on the 'P' and 'H' class steam ships and were the ones who gave new starts their induction. Nice guys too.(==D)

I, started as 2nd Leckie in 1960 on the M.V. Westbay which was one of Billmier ships,general cargo but she could carry half dozen passengers or so.She was German built in 1937 and was taken over after the war by a Belfast firm as restitution for their ship loses,and then sold to Billmier.
She was an earth return ship {single wire system} using the hull for the negative. The only fuses were for the winches all the rest of cicuits were protected by Siemens breakers, very modern I thought for the time.I then sailed with Trinder Anderson for the next six years.

Hague
31st May 2007, 19:28
Yes. But the modern ships were well out of his depth!
Don't really know why he was venerated. He was part of the Irish connection of Ocean Fleets.
He used to work for the CIE transport, Ireland in his earlier days.
[=P]

I would have thought it was CIL

makko
31st May 2007, 20:15
Does anyone remember the Lecky on the Super "P"s, Dick ? I met him on my first trip, Phrontis. I did a lot of work with him on deck repairing the electric winch motors. We had to manhandle them the length of the deck, swing them into the accom and down to the w'shop. Then up to the galley to "bake" the insulation. Being young and naive, I was impressed with the D.A.S. in his Discharge Book, which was also considerably saltwater stained. He had gone down in a typhoon in a Swires or China Mutual vessel, I think.

Rgds.

Dave

railroadbill
1st June 2007, 09:52
I would have thought it was CIL

Yes it WAS the CIE (The Transport system of Ireland).
Bill Pope worked on the railway side of this group, Iarnr'od E'ireann.
Don't know if he actually worked for the Commissioners of Irish Lights though.
Maybe you can 'enlighten' us.
Cheers.(K)

john watson
17th September 2007, 09:24
Yes Bill Pope was the senior Electrical Superintendant for the Shore Staff. He saw many of the ships in from deep sea , mainly Glen Line in London . I remember him well when I was Senior Elect on the Glenlyon in the 1970s

john watson
17th September 2007, 09:42
I, started as 2nd Leckie in 1960 on the M.V. Westbay which was one of Billmier ships,general cargo but she could carry half dozen passengers or so.She was German built in 1937 and was taken over after the war by a Belfast firm as restitution for their ship loses,and then sold to Billmier.
She was an earth return ship {single wire system} using the hull for the negative. The only fuses were for the winches all the rest of cicuits were protected by Siemens breakers, very modern I thought for the time.I then sailed with Trinder Anderson for the next six years.
Yes , Bert Tilford was the Senior Elect on my first coastal trip in Feb 1969 on the Ixion . We sailed to Swansea then up to Glasgow to have deep tanks fitted to carry palm oil. Ken Oldfield was the Senior on my second coastal trip on the Helenus. We flew to Befast to join the ship in April 1969. Iremember he took me ashore in Dublin and introduced me into the art of drinking Guiness. We ended up in a betting shop where I lent him 1 . The horse lost, Inever did get that pound back!! ( apparently, I found out later he only paid you back if the horse won .) I remember he wore his deep sea uniform cap at all times and was nicknamed "Commodore"

Nigel Wing
17th September 2007, 13:28
My first trip to sea as Electrician, was on British Resource, July 1964. I later joined P&O Bulk Shipping Division, from 1977 to 1984. Then sailed foreign flag with Transocean Maritime Agencies SAM, from 1985 to 1994. approx 17 years in all.
Served on Tankers, OBO's, LPG & LNG carriers, gearless Bulkers and geared Bulkers.
Great variety, and I can look back now in the knowledge, that the life at sea certainly broadens ones horizons, I am fortunate not to have missed it.
Sorry I did not sail with Blue Flue, but I think, with my last company, TMA, there was an Ocean Fleets connection, in the Fleet Manager & several Chief Engineers. Also the ships of this company carried on with the Blue Funnel nomenclature. Achilles, Aeneas, Ascanius etc.
Best wishes
Nigel.

Nick Jones
17th September 2007, 22:09
After serving my Apprenticeship with a bunch of ex-seagoing electricians, I just had to go to sea. Started with PSNC, 2nd Electrician on the Pizzaro, Electrician on Somers Isle, 1st Electrician Brocklebank's SS Matra, MT Luminous, and MV Manipur my last deep sea ship.
I had some great times, met some great people and wouldn't have missed it for all the tea in India. My wife said it was the making of me, if you know what I mean.
The only connection I had to Blue Flue was my uniform made in Hong Kong which I bought off an ex-cadet, Peter Miller.

Cheers,
Nick Jones

Derek Roger
18th September 2007, 03:01
Nick ;
Did you know or sail with Pete Minnican ( Brocks ) last I heard of him he had a pub in Sunderland or nearbye.
Derek

Tom Haywood
18th September 2007, 05:04
Sailed in various NZSCo ships with two electrican brothers.
Larry Tait senior and I think the younger was Frank Tait, wild men from Stornoway.