Anyone like to see Grain again?

Steve Hodges
7th May 2007, 21:00
Since finding this site a couple of months ago I've been amazed at the number of ex-BP lads who are signed up.Can I float an idea for those of you out there?
Last year I sailed on the Thames barge "Reminder" in the Medway barge race. We sailed in the morning from Gillingham down the Medway, past the Isle of Grain and Sheerness, out round the wreck of the "Richard Montgomery" and back again for the evening - a really great day. Besides the opportunity to see what's become of Grain ( now a massive container port) there is loads to see of maritime interest, and a lot of shipping around; the Medway now seems more interesting than the Thames to me.
Would any of you be interested in repeating this trip? Sailing barges can be chartered be for groups of 10-12, but some of them are licenced for a lot more, and these old ladies have to earn their living now and deserve our support. I would stress this is NOT yachting - these are ex-coasters of around 100 tons with 4,000 square feet of canvas, and steady as a rock. They are professionally crewed and catered, and in my experience the standard is excellent. ( There are many websites to check out, just Google in "thames barge") If there were enough people interested we could even think of chartering the steam paddler "Kingswear Castle" for the same trip. Maybe we could persuade the caterers to have a go at "cheese beanos" and "kromeski a la russe"? If everyone brought their scrap books and photo albums I'm sure it would be a memorable day.
I thought first of ex-BP people because the Medway is familiar territory to so many of us and Grain was the fleet's unofficial "home port", but the invitation could be extended to other SN users, perhaps.
Maybe someone has already floated this idea, if so let me know. Please use this thread for initial and general feedback, but if you are keen then e-mail your contact details to me, then I can let you know if I manage to put something together. Cost should be around 50-60 per person depending on numbers, and hopefully we could make it late summer/early autumn this year.
Let me know what you think.
Regards
Steve

drynet
29th May 2007, 16:40
Is the "Cat and Cracker " still in Grain Village

trevflstn
29th May 2007, 20:27
The Cat and Cracker was still there the last time I looked (admittedly a few months ago). Until recently my current job included running a 13m launch all round the Thames Estuary area especially up and down the Medway. Grain has changed out of all recognition now being a container port (Thamesport) and a gas installation. To show how much it has changed you can even go more than 30 mph on the road between Strood and Grain!

rknibbs
30th May 2007, 14:27
I'd be interested in a trip on the Medway. I actually live by Faversham Creek and there are barges, for example`Greta', for charter there.

KenLin39
30th May 2007, 14:57
The Cat and Cracker was still there the last time I looked (admittedly a few months ago). Until recently my current job included running a 13m launch all round the Thames Estuary area especially up and down the Medway. Grain has changed out of all recognition now being a container port (Thamesport) and a gas installation. To show how much it has changed you can even go more than 30 mph on the road between Strood and Grain!

How about the Ship pub in Stoke, the sign was of the British Sailor. I wonder if my allotment note cashed by Ivy the publican in April 1958 is on the wall as I had missed the sailing of British Justice. VNC awarded.

cboots
31st May 2007, 02:57
In answer to the original question posed in this thread; no, I would definitely not like to see Grain again. If I never saw the Isle of Grain again it would be too soon.
CBoots

barnsey
31st May 2007, 04:21
Steve .... go for it .... its a wonderfull idea (Applause) .... wish I could make it but Lotto apart the distance is too much, the horrors of flying and then England again !!! shudders.

If you do the trip take lots of pics and video bung them on a DVD and I'll buy it as I am sure a few other SN's might.

Never mind old C Boots he probably has mould in them... !!

Barnsey

cboots
31st May 2007, 14:14
Would anybody like to see Shatt al Arab again? At least it was bloody warm!
CBoots

K urgess
31st May 2007, 15:44
I just asked the Memsahib if she'd like to see the Isle of Grain again and the reply was "not wildly". She remembers arriving at the ship at some ungodly hour in the morning having driven from Hull. Ah young love!
I hope you get enough eager volunteers. I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

Makari
31st May 2007, 19:22
Id love to see Grain again but only as it was in 1959, I remember when I joined the British Rover not having much gear and on the Norwegian run, being in Ivies with soaking wet feet, she took pity on me and gave me a pair of her husbands socks that didnt have holes in them, like mine did and her stoking up the huge fire in the pub for me to get dried out and warm, she was like a Mum to me, a great lady as a pub owner and person, apart from that Grain had nothing much to offer a young lad out for adventure and a good time, probably has less now, all the best Mac

junkcatcher
9th August 2007, 10:39
As an engineer cadet I did my work shop time in the refinnery, stayed with a family in Grain village -- 1974 a great summer loved every moment.

Janner100
10th August 2007, 05:23
No thanks - my ex wife lives near thre and I'd be frightened of bumping into her again. What a dragon she is!!!