British Pride 1973

ruud
9th May 2007, 08:37
Ahoy,
Here a quite big one for a change and not so "old",but she made some 22 years,HR is available as always.
Name:BRITISH PRIDE 1973
Company:BP Thames Tanker Co.Ltd.
Yard:Ch.de l'Atlantique-St.Nazaire[C25]
GT:111,980
DWT:218,467
LOA:329,62 x 48,21 x 19,40
Eng.:2 S Turbo dr.& tr. geared to cs. shaft 24170kW[32400bhp]
Spd.:15 knots
IMO:7321740
Type: Tanker[Crude]
Sold and renamed SUSANGIRD 1982[National Iran Tanker]
Courtesy/ J.K.Byass

DAVELECKIE
28th May 2008, 20:23
The Pride which I sailed on in the late seventies early 80,s approx was my favourite vessel I sailed on.
Superb accomodation and although not mechanically as reliable as the Japanese R boats the fastest of the BP VLCC'S.
Any of the Pride crew from that period on here?

Dave

willhastie
21st June 2008, 10:27
only had 3 days on the pride and dont remember any of it,we had been on the br avon and abandoned her when she went up,as we arrived onboard the pride we were each given a bottle of four bells on our way to the bar,and thats where we stayed,not much memory of it except the prides officers bar wanted nothing to do with our officers and they had to join us in the crew bar.

kevin1506
24th June 2008, 22:14
was with bp from 74 to 79 the liberty dart fal avon pioneer

iranian the minabb the shoush kevin cook hull from deck boy to gp1

great days

Treborvfr
24th February 2010, 21:40
The Pride was my first ship!

I was Junior RO, joining the ship in Europoort in Nov 74 and left in Finnart in June 75. In that 6 months we managed two trips to the Gulf completing the guarantee dry-dock in Brest in between the two trips.

The Senior RO was Bob Lane.
I can't quite make out the signature in my discharge book but I think the Capt was J Walsh (John?).

Graham Wallace
24th February 2010, 23:36
The Pride was my first ship!

I was Junior RO, joining the ship in Europoort in Nov 74 and left in Finnart in June 75. In that 6 months we managed two trips to the Gulf completing the guarantee dry-dock in Brest in between the two trips.

The Senior RO was Bob Lane.
I can't quite make out the signature in my discharge book but I think the Capt was J Walsh (John?).

Quote: Ships Movements Dec 11th 1974
Master JA Webster
C/o JE Dougal
2/M MR Nelms
3/M M French
D/C's Clegg,Galloway
R/O RS Lane
2 R/O **B
C/E P Barker
2/E A Crowther ex E/A. He was at St Nazaire during her building
3/E ER Wheeldon ex E/A
4/E DJ Wall
J/E's Booth ( ex E/C), Cund, Moore
Lecky NR Mason
E/C's Brown, Connor
C/Off K Miller

Graham

Treborvfr
25th February 2010, 10:10
Thanks for that Graham, yes it was Webster who was the Captain, now I now what his name was I can make his signature out.

Those names bring back some memories, I can tell you.

Somewhere in the house, though God knows where, I have a pile of Fleet News papers but I don't think they go back quite that far, but they do cover most of my period of emploment with BP (1974 to 1986).

Thanks again

Bob

BillH
25th February 2010, 17:47
Ahoy,
Here a quite big one for a change and not so "old",but she made some 22 years,HR is available as always.
Name:BRITISH PRIDE 1973
Company:BP Thames Tanker Co.Ltd.
Yard:Ch.de l'Atlantique-St.Nazaire[C25]
GT:111,980
DWT:218,467
LOA:329,62 x 48,21 x 19,40
Eng.:2 S Turbo dr.& tr. geared to cs. shaft 24170kW[32400bhp]
Spd.:15 knots
IMO:7321740
Type: Tanker[Crude]
Sold and renamed SUSANGIRD 1982[National Iran Tanker]
Courtesy/ J.K.Byass
BRITISH PRIDE (2) (1973 - 1976) Very Large crude carrier (VLCC)
O.N. 360825. 111,980g. 91,543n. 218,467d. 329.62 x 48.21 x 19.406 metres.
Two, Stal-Laval type steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, double reduction and triple geared to screw shaft. 32,400 S.H.P.
16.6.1973: Launched by Chantiers del'Atlantique, St. Nazaire (Yard No. C. 25), for B.P. Thames Tanker Company Ltd.
10.1973: Completed.
1976: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company, Iran, and renamed SUSANGIRD.
At 22:00hrs GMT- 9.12.1987: Attacked by Iraqi aircraft at a position 28.10N., 51.03E., and was disabled by fire.
At 02:00hrs GMT - 10.12.1987: Attacked again at a position 28.05N., 51.07E. 21 crew killed.
14.4.1988: Arrived at Singapore for repairs.
15.2.1995: Beached at Alang for demolition.

Treborvfr
25th February 2010, 19:07
BRITISH PRIDE (2) (1973 - 1976) Very Large crude carrier (VLCC)................

I'm not sure she was sold to NITC in 1976. If memory serves me correctly the joint company venture between BP and NITC occured later that this and suspect the date in ruud's post of 1982 is nearer. I'm fairly sure this joint venture occurred a few years after I married (late 1977).

At the time of the joint venture, again from memory so may not be quite right, a fleet of ships were taken from BP's existing fleet and placed under the ownership of the new company. Half, initially, remained under British flag, the other half were renamed and put under Iranian registration. They were, initially, fully manned by BP's existing employees and several Iranian nationals were employed and spread amongst all BP's fleet and the Joint venture's fleet as Cadets. Eventually, these Cadets and other Officers and crew (who were later recruited from Iranian nationals) were employed by the new company to man the Iranian flagged ships whilst, I think, the British flagged ones were manned by British nationals. However, things all changed not long after BP made all their seagoing personnel redundant in 1986 and contracted those that wanted to stay with BP through offshore manning agencies (and all the ships in BP's fleet were flagged out to Bermuda, I think). I left at that time so not too sure what happened afterwards.

Bob

BillH
25th February 2010, 19:52
I'm not sure she was sold to NITC in 1976. If memory serves me correctly the joint company venture between BP and NITC occured later that this and suspect the date in ruud's post of 1982 is nearer. I'm fairly sure this joint venture occurred a few years after I married (late 1977).

At the time of the joint venture, again from memory so may not be quite right, a fleet of ships were taken from BP's existing fleet and placed under the ownership of the new company. Half, initially, remained under British flag, the other half were renamed and put under Iranian registration. They were, initially, fully manned by BP's existing employees and several Iranian nationals were employed and spread amongst all BP's fleet and the Joint venture's fleet as Cadets. Eventually, these Cadets and other Officers and crew (who were later recruited from Iranian nationals) were employed by the new company to man the Iranian flagged ships whilst, I think, the British flagged ones were manned by British nationals. However, things all changed not long after BP made all their seagoing personnel redundant in 1986 and contracted those that wanted to stay with BP through offshore manning agencies (and all the ships in BP's fleet were flagged out to Bermuda, I think). I left at that time so not too sure what happened afterwards.

Bob
Bob,

This was the fleet details as supplied by BP during the research for our book on BP Tankers published by Chatham Publishing a few yews ago.

The table we used in the book is below together with an associated paragraph but the spacing disappears when posting on here

At about the same time as the Kuwaiti nationalisation action, the Iranian government was examining also the viability of flexing its muscles. They had recently formed the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITCO). A co-operative agreement was quickly negotiated that resulted in the Irano-British Shipping Company Limited becoming a 50:50 concern between B.P. and Iran. Irano-British would operate tankers on behalf of the two owners accounting for the third (or ‘I fleet’) part of the Company’s earlier restructuring plans. A number of additional B.P. ships would also be chartered to the new owners. However, following applied pressures a number of the B.P. tankers designated to the I-fleet were sold to NITCO and re-named, with even more B.P. vessels operating within the pool-fleet, wearing new funnel markings. The B.P. tanker fleet was by this time reduced to around 57 owned and managed tankers.

IRANO - BRITISH SHIPPING COMPANY LTD.
(Irano - British Ship Service Company Ltd., managers)

V.L.C.C's.

BRITISH EXPLORER 1976 -1981 then sold for demolition.
BRITISH PIONEER 1976 -1981 then sold for further trading.
BRITISH PROSPECTOR * 1976 -1979 then sold for further trading.
BRITISH INVENTOR * 1976 -1981 then sold for demolition.
SUSANGIRD ex BRITISH PRIDE 76
SIVAND ex BRITISH NAVIGATOR 76(SEMNAN proposed name)
SHOUSH ex BRITISH SURVEYOR 76
SANANDAJ ex BRITISH PROMISE 76

* It had also been planned that BRITISH PROSPECTOR and BRITISH INVENTOR would both be sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company and to have been renamed SHADGAN and GHESHM respectively, but this part of the transaction was not concluded.

River Class clean-product tankers.

BRITISH DART removed from management 1979.
BRITISH TEST removed from management 1979.
BRITISH WYE removed from management 1979.
MINAB ex BRITISH FAL 76
MOKRAN ex BRITISH NEATH 76
MARUN ex BRITISH SEVERN 76

Chartered units

V.L.C.C’s
BRITISH RENOWN
BRITISH TRIDENT.

River Class
BRITISH TRENT.
BRITISH TAY.

Treborvfr
25th February 2010, 20:35
As I say, I am posting from memory so have probably got my dates a bit out. I could have sworn the venture occurred later, it just looked to me that ruud's date was nearer the mark from what I remembered.

Bob

chrishandel
25th February 2010, 20:59
I was on British Explorer in early 1976 and she was stil BPTC then and British Pioneer from 1977 to 1979 and she was definately IBSSC then. Their offices were down in Cannon Street somewhere

stevie-w
26th February 2010, 12:10
I joined British Wye in October 1977- first trip mainly spent on the infamous Bandar Mashur- Bandar Abbas run. She was under Irano- British control then and had the funnel markings to boot. Mokran and Minab were also on the run- don't remember any Iranians in the crews in the early days- I think it was more of a political move at the time to keep in touch with the oil-producers.

Broady
26th February 2010, 14:54
I sailed on the British Wye in September 79 and we had an Irainian deck cadet by the name of Jaffa if I remember right and I joined the Minab in Febuary 81 and I seem to think we had a couple of cadets then.

brooksy
26th February 2010, 15:32
I was on the Shoush the begining of 1980 and we had three iranian GP trainees onboard.They were first trip having done their pre sea training at Lowerstoft

brooksy
26th February 2010, 15:50
I was on the Pride in 82.We had Irano-British funnel colours,red duster on the **** end and no sign of the name SUSANGIRD

Treborvfr
26th February 2010, 16:19
I was on the Pride in 82.We had Irano-British funnel colours,red duster on the **** end and no sign of the name SUSANGIRD

Thank God I've not gone totally doolally! ;)

From the subsequent posts I have obviously gone awry on my dates for the joint venture, but deep in the back of my mind I was fairly convinced that the British Pride was around as the British Pride for a lot longer than a year after I'd sailed on her.

Bob

Billieboy
26th February 2010, 19:40
This was a right job, The ship had been arrested for polluting the Harbourmaster's waters in Rotterdam with crude. The cause was the ballast overboard line passing through the after-most port ballast tank, where a line coupling was suspected of leaking. Usual wet weekend job; I'd asked for the tank to be clean and gas freed on the Thursday afternoon, it was gas free for entry, but not for work, so estimates were made for staging, a very quick inspection indicated that the inboard bit of pipe, (700mm diam.), was leaking. an extra long V-J coupling was obtained, and the plan was to crop the bad bits, (cold), and fit the new coupling. The ship was going to do a hot wash at the top in the area of the pipe and the next bay fwd. Butterworth heater on the fritz, managed not to contaminate the main boiler. S planned my crew for Saturday morning and got my head down for a couple of hours, called by the Iranian 2/O, saying "Gas Free", so I said OK let's have a look, he put the end of the explosion meter sniffer over the tank lid for a foot or two and said No Gas!, so I then gave him the usual lecture on how to determine the gas content of a tank, eventually, after an hour, he said, "Less than one percent LEL!" When he asked if he should switch off the gas freeing fans; I calmly said NO!

I think we were finished about 20.00 Saturday night, I put an extra charge on the bill for grey hair!

Tony Maskell
2nd March 2010, 05:02
I was on the British Pride from April 53 to January 54, making 2 circumnavigations of Africa via the Carribean, the Mediteranean, The Cape of Good Hope, Mexican Gulf, a very slow passage the old Doxford's running out of puff every few days. With Wells Fargo Security onboard at both Corpus Christi and later Brownsville Texas to stop anyone "jumpiing ship"!!

Tony Maskell

steve d
4th March 2010, 19:59
I was on British Navigator in 1976, while we were in dry dock for repairs in nagasaki two guys from head office came on board to tell us about the ship(s) being sold to iran.

Graham Wallace
4th March 2010, 22:11
I sailed on the British Wye in September 79 and we had an Irainian deck cadet by the name of Jaffa if I remember right and I joined the Minab in Febuary 81 and I seem to think we had a couple of cadets then.

Brooksy,
I have copies of Ships Movements 11th Sept 1979 you do not show up on the Wye, butin 10th Oct 1979 issue you do.
However no Iranian Deck cadets on her at the time,tho there are quite a few floating around on others ( Hawthorn,hazel,Ivy,reliance,Tweed,Sivand et al)

Minab 12 March 1981, none at that time either, but any recollection of a John Lisle J/E?

Easy to get mixed up with their names if you sailed a lot of BP ships. I see their names quite frequently but do not include them in my BP personnel database

Thes Ships Movements are too large to thumbnail, if you would like a copy send me an email or PM.

I know one Iranian Engineering Cadet of that era, met him here in BC a year ago,sailing C/E.
Graham

Graham Wallace
4th March 2010, 22:15

Apologies Broady calling you Brooksy

Graham

Graham Wallace
4th March 2010, 22:28
I was on the Shoush the begining of 1980 and we had three iranian GP trainees onboard.They were first trip having done their pre sea training at Lowerstoft

Brooksy,
Earliest 1980 Ships movements I have is 13 March 1980, Shoush crew list is complete but for some reason does not show GP trainees, you are there tho.

Again the month's list shows Iranian Deck and Engineering Cadets but that's all.

Same goes fro you as Broady, if you want a copy email or PM me.

Any memory of a J/E name of Ceri Sheeran? he left her by June.

Graham

Graham Wallace
4th March 2010, 23:05
I was on British Navigator in 1976, while we were in dry dock for repairs in nagasaki two guys from head office came on board to tell us about the ship(s) being sold to iran.

The Navigator became the Sivand in 1976(I do not know when), damaged by a missile in Oct 1984 and broken up in Kaohsiung in feb 1986. First sign I have of her in service as Sivand is Jan 1977.

On the topic of odd names.....The Surveyor became the 'Sivand' in 1976, the Neath to 'Mokran' in 1976, Fal to 'Minab' in 1976

Then in 1987 Aft part of Mokran ( ex Neath) was joined to the Fore part of Minab ( ex Fal) to continue sailing as Mokran
Somebody missed out there.... Neath= Mokran, aft part = 'RAN', which is joined to ........( Fal = Minab, fore part = 'MIN") which should have produced a MINRAN (K)

The 'Jolly Sprite' name changed to Vic Bilh after 1982, but where did the Jolly Sprite come from??

No wonder things went to hell in a basket in 1986 !!................There was a 1952 Engineering Apprentice named David Heaslip, any relation to THE Heaslip??

Graham

Broady
5th March 2010, 08:44
Brooksy,
I have copies of Ships Movements 11th Sept 1979 you do not show up on the Wye, butin 10th Oct 1979 issue you do.
However no Iranian Deck cadets on her at the time,tho there are quite a few floating around on others ( Hawthorn,hazel,Ivy,reliance,Tweed,Sivand et al)

Minab 12 March 1981, none at that time either, but any recollection of a John Lisle J/E?

Easy to get mixed up with their names if you sailed a lot of BP ships. I see their names quite frequently but do not include them in my BP personnel database

Thes Ships Movements are too large to thumbnail, if you would like a copy send me an email or PM.

I know one Iranian Engineering Cadet of that era, met him here in BC a year ago,sailing C/E.
Graham

Hi Graham I joined the B Wye on 28 Sept so that would explain why I did'nt show until Oct.I cannot remember the J/E but I have a photo of some of the crew when we paid off the Minab the names I have put are,
J Bottomley 3/O
Ward Bennington J/E
Craig Harper S/3
Mick Champion S/2
Steve Farley S/2
Gordon Walters A/S

I hope these are right otherwise Iam losing my marbles and yes could you please send me the two crew lists I will pm you my email.Broady(not Brooksy) he he[=P]

BillH
5th March 2010, 11:03
The Navigator became the Sivand in 1976(I do not know when), damaged by a missile in Oct 1984 and broken up in Kaohsiung in feb 1986. First sign I have of her in service as Sivand is Jan 1977.

On the topic of odd names.....The Surveyor became the 'Sivand' in 1976, the Neath to 'Mokran' in 1976, Fal to 'Minab' in 1976

Then in 1987 Aft part of Mokran ( ex Neath) was joined to the Fore part of Minab ( ex Fal) to continue sailing as Mokran
Somebody missed out there.... Neath= Mokran, aft part = 'RAN', which is joined to ........( Fal = Minab, fore part = 'MIN") which should have produced a MINRAN (K)

The 'Jolly Sprite' name changed to Vic Bilh after 1982, but where did the Jolly Sprite come from??

No wonder things went to hell in a basket in 1986 !!................There was a 1952 Engineering Apprentice named David Heaslip, any relation to THE Heaslip??

Graham
Extracted from our book on BP Tankers the following are all the vessels details including the second tranche of mid 80 transfers.

At about the same time as the Kuwaiti nationalisation action, the Iranian government was examining also the viability of flexing its muscles. They had recently formed the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITCO). A co-operative agreement was quickly negotiated that resulted in the Irano-British Shipping Company Limited becoming a 50:50 concern between B.P. and Iran.
Irano-British would operate tankers on behalf of the two owners accounting for the third (or ‘I fleet’) part of the Company’s earlier restructuring plans. A number of additional B.P. ships would also be chartered to the new owners. However, following applied pressures a number of the B.P. tankers designated to the I-fleet were sold to NITCO and re-named, with even more B.P. vessels operating within the pool-fleet, wearing new funnel markings.

IRANO - BRITISH SHIPPING COMPANY LTD.
(Irano - British Ship Service Company Ltd., managers)

The “I” Fleet

V.L.C.C's.

BRITISH EXPLORER 1976 -1981 then sold for demolition.
BRITISH PIONEER 1976 -1981 then sold for further trading.
BRITISH PROSPECTOR * 1976 -1979 then sold for further trading.
BRITISH INVENTOR * 1976 -1981 then sold for demolition.
SUSANGIRD ex BRITISH PRIDE 76
SIVAND ex BRITISH NAVIGATOR 76(SEMNAN proposed name)
SHOUSH ex BRITISH SURVEYOR 76
SANANDAJ ex BRITISH PROMISE 76

* It had also been planned that BRITISH PROSPECTOR and BRITISH INVENTOR would both be sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company and to have been renamed SHADGAN and GHESHM respectively, but this part of the transaction was not concluded.

River Class clean-product tankers.

BRITISH DART removed from management 1979.
BRITISH TEST removed from management 1979.
BRITISH WYE removed from management 1979.
MINAB ex BRITISH FAL 76
MOKRAN ex BRITISH NEATH 76
MARUN ex BRITISH SEVERN 76
In the mid 1980’s further units of the River Class were sold to NITCO and given MINAB names

Chartered units

V.L.C.C’s BRITISH RENOWN
BRITISH TRIDENT.

River Class BRITISH TRENT.
BRITISH TAY.

VLCC
BRITISH EXPLORER
O.N. 339034. 108,530g. 82,576n. 215,603d. 1,069' 7"(BB) x 160' 0" x 62' 0".
Two, Westinghouse type steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 S.H.P.
16.11.1969: Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki (Yard No. 1162), for the B.P. Medway Tanker Company Ltd.
3.1970: Completed.
1976: Irano-British Ship Service Company Ltd., appointed as managers.
27.10.1981: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition.

BRITISH INVENTOR
O.N. 339160. 108,530g. 82,576n. 215,523d. 1,069' 7"(BB) x 160' 0" x 62' 4".
Two, Westinghouse type steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 S.H.P.
15.1.1970: Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki (Yard No. 1163), for the B.P. Medway Tanker Company Ltd.
6.1970: Completed.
7.7.1981: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition.

BRITISH PIONEER
O.N. 341429. 108,500g. 82,995n. 226,137d. 1,063' 8"(BB) x 160' 2" x 64' 5".
Two, Westinghouse type steam turbines made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 S.H.P.
30.3.1971: Launched by Mitsui Shipbuilding & Engineering, Chiba (Yard No. 847), for the B.P. Medway Tanker Company Ltd.
6.1971: Completed.
1981: Sold to Tishpion Navigation Ltd., Greece, and renamed TISHPION.
1981: Sold to Cerrahogullari Umumi Nakliyat Vapourculuk ve Ticaret T. A. S., Turkey, and renamed metres. CEYHAN.
At 06:15hrs local time -12.7.1985: Whilst on a voyage from Kharg Island to Sirri Island with 200,000 tons crude oil was struck by Iraqi missiles at a position 27.46N., 51.11E., 100 miles south of Kharg Island and set ablaze.
14.7.1985: Fire extinguished. Engine room and accommodation both extensively damage by fire and engine room flooded.
16.7.1985: Arrived in tow off Sirri Island, and anchored at a position 25.59N., 54.38E. Subsequently declared as a war constructive total loss and sold to Taiwan breakers.
7.2.1986: Arrived at Kaohsiung.

BRITISH PROSPECTOR
O.N. 342959. 108,531g. 82,519n. 218,814d. 1,068' 2"(BB) x 160' 0" x 62' 7".
Two, steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 S.H.P.
8.7.1971: Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki (Yard No. 1675), for B.P. Medway Tanker Company Ltd.
11.1971: Completed.
1979: Sold to South Foundation Shipping Inc., Liberia., and renamed SOUTH FOUNDATION.
3.1.1983: Arrived at Ulsan for demolition.
1.2.1983: Work commenced.

BRITISH NAVIGATOR / SIVAND
O.N. 341428. 108,531g. 82,576n. 215,139d. 1,069' 7"(BB) x 160' 0" x 62' 4".
7.3.1971: Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki (Yard No. 1674), for the B.P. Medway Tanker Company Ltd.
6.1971: Completed.
1976: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company, Iran, and renamed SIVAND.
At 13:30hrs local time -12.10.1984: Struck by a missile whilst off Kharg Island sustaining minor unreported damage.
15.10.1984: Whilst on a loaded voyage from Kharg Island to Sirri Island was attacked by Iraqi aircraft and set ablaze. Fire extinguished and vessel towed to Sirri Island for discharge and inspection. Laid up at Sirri Island.
7.5.1986: Arrived under tow at Kaohsiung for demolition.

BRITISH SURVEYOR / SHOUSH
O.N. 343072. 112,742g. 82,811n. 222,745d. 1,063' 8"(BB) x 160' 2" x 64' 4".
Two, steam turbines made by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 S.H.P.
22.12.1971: Launched by Mitsui Shipbuilding & Engineering, Ichihara (Yard No. 872), for B.P. Medway Tanker Company Ltd.
3.1972: Completed.
1976: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company, Iran, and renamed SHOUSH.
29.8.1987: Struck in the port side hull near the engine room by an Iraqi missile at a position 27.36N., 50.39E. Damage not reported.
31.8.1987: Whilst enroute to Dubai for repair, was attacked by Iraqi aircraft. Subsequently anchored off Dubai for repair to unspecified damage.
4.6.1988: Attacked by Iraqi aircraft off Kharg Island. Damage not reported.
20.12.1994: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.

BRITISH PRIDE / SUSANGIRD
O.N. 360825. 111,980g. 91,543n. 218,467d. 329.62 x 48.21 x 19.406 metres.
Two, Stal-Laval type steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, double reduction and triple geared to screw shaft. 32,400 S.H.P.
16.6.1973: Launched by Chantiers del'Atlantique, St. Nazaire (Yard No. C. 25), for B.P. Thames Tanker Company Ltd.
At 22:00hrs GMT- 9.12.1987: Attacked by Iraqi aircraft at a position 28.10N., 51.03E., and was disabled by fire.
At 02:00hrs GMT - 10.12.1987: Attacked again at a position 28.05N., 51.07E. 21 crew killed.
14.4.1988: Arrived at Singapore for repairs.
15.2.1995: Beached at Alang for demolition.

BRITISH PROMISE / SANANDAJ
O.N. 360973. 131,402g. 110,693n. 253,839d. 344.41(BB) x 51.87 x 19.952 metres.
Two, GEC type steam turbines made by General Electric Company, Lynn, Mass., double reduction geared to screw shaft. 32,000 S.H.P.
11.8.1973: Launched by Verolme Dok & Scheepswerf, Rosenburg (Yard No. 850), for B.P. Thames Tanker Company Ltd.
1.1974: Completed.
1976: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company, Iran, and renamed SANANDAJ.
30.8.1987: Attacked by Iraqi aircraft whilst loading at Kharg Island.
19.3.1988: Attacked by Iraqi aircraft whilst lying at Kharg Island and was seriously damaged aft by fire. 26 killed. 4 rescued. Laid up damaged. Subsequently demolished.
1994/95: Lloyd’s Register deleted entry

RIVER CLASS
BRITISH DART / MINAB 3
O.N. 358605. 15,650g. 9,661n. 25,245d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 5” oa.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W 6K74EF type engine made by Uddevallavarvet AB, Uddevalla. 9,000 B.H.P.
22.3.1972: Launched by M/V Eriksbergs Ab. (Lindholmen Div), Gothenburg (Yard No. 658), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
9.1972: Completed.
1979: Removed from management.
1986: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC) and renamed MINAB 3.
3.2002: Sold for demolition.
1.5.2002: Arrived at Alang.

BRITISH TEST / MINAB 4
O.N. 358731. 15,653g. 9,675n. 25,245d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 1” x 31’ 5” oa.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W 6K74EF type engine made by the shipbuilder. 9,000 B.H.P.
15.8.1972: Launched by M/V Eriksbergs Ab (Lindholmen Div), Gothenburg (Yard No.659), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
1.1973: Completed.
1986: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC), and renamed MINAB 4.
16.4.2004: Beached at Gadani Beach for demolition.

BRITISH WYE
O.N. 360982. 15,649g. 9,658n. 25,600d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 5” oa.
Post 1992: 14,943g. 10,429n. 25,196d.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W 6K74EF type engine made by the shipbuilder. 9,000 B.H.P.
4.7.1973: Launched by M/V Eriksbergs Ab (Lindholmen Div), Gothenburg (Yard No. 675), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
1976: Transferred to the B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
1992: Sold to Xanthe Shipping Ltd., (Compagnie Monegasque Maritime S. A. metres. (COMOMAR), managers), Malta, and renamed SEA CASTLE.
1997: Sold to Lorsil Shipping Ltd., Malta, and renamed TOREPO.
2002: Sold to Landsvale Investments Inc., Panama, (Sea World Management, Monte Carlo), and renamed SEA STREAM.
28.5.2002: Beached at Alang for demolition.

BRITISH NEATH / MOKRAN
O.N. 360939. 15,641g. 9,664n. 25,246d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 6” oa.
Post 1987: 16,015g. 9,876n. 25,651d.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W 6K74EF type engine made by S. A. Cockerill-Ougree-Providence, Seraing. 9,000 B.H.P.
29.6.1973: Launched by Cockerill Yards Hoboken, Hoboken (Yard No. 869), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
1976: Sold to National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC), Iran, and renamed MOKRAN.
15.2.1982: Attacked by Iraqi aircraft at Kharg Island. Damage not reported.
5.9.1986: Attacked by Iraqi aircraft whilst loading at Lavan Island. Extensively damaged in the cargo tanks area.
3.5.1987: Afterpart arrived, in tow, at Singapore for repair and to be joined to the forepart of MINAB (ex BRITISH FAL q.v.). by Jurong Shipyards Ltd., who estimated that the work would take six months and would include reconstruction and refurbishment of the accommodation and the complete overhauling and repairing of machinery in the engine room which had flooded during salvage operations. The resultant "New vessel" to remain as MOKRAN.
24.10.1987: New vessel departed for Sitra Island.
21:00hrs., local time, 3.2.1988: Struck by an Iraqi Exocet missile at a position 27.14N., 52.28E., enroute to Kharg Island. Sustained fire damage aft. Taken initially to Bandar Abbas.
13.4.1988: Arrived back at Singapore for further repairs.
6.4.2004: Beached at Chittagong for demolition.

BRITISH FAL / MINAB / MOKRAN
O.N. 363415. 16,495g. 9,675n. 25,244d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 6” oa.
14.2.1974: Launched by M/V Eriksbergs Ab (Lindholmen Div), Gothenburg (Yard No. 676), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
9.1974: Completed.
1976: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company, Iran, and renamed MINAB.
27.4.1986: Struck in the starboard bunker tank by an Iraqi missile at a position 28.23N., 51. 05E., 50 miles south of Kharg Island. Extensively damaged by fire aft and subsequently towed to Bandar Abbas. Damage reported as accommodation, emergency generator and control room, pump room and engine room destroyed by fire and auxiliary machinery extensively damaged. Subsequently declared as a partial war constructive total loss.
2.5.1987: Forepart arrived at Singapore in tow for repair. To be joined to the afterpart of MOKRAN (ex BRITISH NEATH q.v.) by Jurong Shipyards Ltd., who estimated that the work would take six months. It would include reconstruction and refurbishment of the accommodation and the complete overhauling and repairing of machinery in the engine room which had flooded during salvage operations. The resultant "New vessel" to remain as MOKRAN. From this point the ship history becomes that of BRITISH NEATH above.

BRITISH SEVERN / MARUN
O.N. 363283. 15,641g. 9,664n. 25,245d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 6” oa.
Post 19 : 14,947g. 10,429n. 25,651d.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W 6K74EF type engine made by S. A. Cockerill-Ougree-Providence, Seraing. 9,000 B.H.P.
8.1.1974: Launched by Cockerill Yards Hoboken, Hoboken (Yard No. 870), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
5.1974: Completed.
1976: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC), Iran, and renamed MARUN.
12.9.1986: Struck by an Iraqi missile at a position 28.30N., 50.47E. Towed to Sirri Island by the Singapore tug SALVERITAS for inspection and temporary repairs.
1.5.1987: Arrived at Singapore Roads enroute to Jurong Shipyards Ltd. for repairs
9.10.2004: Arrived at Chittagong for demolition.

BRITISH TWEED / BP TWEED / AZNA / MINAB 1
O.N. 360815. 15,538g. 9,539n. 25,559d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 5”oa.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (760 x 1550mm) Sulzer 6RND76 type engine made by Scotts' Engineering Company Ltd., Greenock. 9,000 B.H.P.
29.3.1973: Launched by Scotts' Shipbuilding Company Ltd., Greenock (Yard No. 726), for B.P. Thames Tanker Company Ltd.
1985: Transferred to B.P. International Ltd., Bahamas, (B.P. Shipping Ltd., managers), and renamed B.P. TWEED.
1986: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company Ltd., and renamed AZNA.
1997: Renamed MINAB 1.
14.12.2003: Sailed from Fujairah Anchorage enroute to Gadani Beach for demolition.

BRITISH KENNET / MINAB 2
O.N. 360540. 15,538g. 9,539n. 25,127d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 5”oa.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (760 x 1550mm) Sulzer 6RND76 type engine made by Scotts' Engineering Company (1969) Ltd., Greenock. 9,000 B.H.P.
11.12.1972: Launched by Scotts' Shipbuilding Company (1969) Ltd., Greenock (Yard No. 725), for B.P. Thames Tanker Company Ltd.
5.1973: Completed.
1986: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company Ltd., and renamed MINAB 2.
5.4.2002: Arrived at Alang for demolition.

BRITISH DART / MINAB 3
O.N. 358605. 15,650g. 9,661n. 25,245d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 5” oa.
6-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (740 x 1600mm) B&W 6K74EF type engine made by Uddevallavarvet AB, Uddevalla. 9,000 B.H.P.
22.3.1972: Launched by M/V Eriksbergs Ab. (Lindholmen Div), Gothenburg (Yard No. 658), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
9.1972: Completed.
1986: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC) and renamed MINAB 3.
3.2002: Sold for demolition.
1.5.2002: Arrived at Alang.

BRITISH TEST / MINAB 4
O.N. 358731. 15,653g. 9,675n. 25,245d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 1” x 31’ 5” oa.
15.8.1972: Launched by M/V Eriksbergs Ab (Lindholmen Div), Gothenburg (Yard No.659), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
1.1973: Completed.
1979: Removed from management. 1986: Sold to the National Iranian Tanker Company (NITC), and renamed MINAB 4.
16.4.2004: Beached at Gadani Beach for demolition.

CHARTERED

BRITISH TRENT
O.N. 360855. 15,649g. 9,675n. 25,550d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 5” oa.
24.5.1973: Launched by M/V Eriksbergs Ab (Lindholmen Div), Gothenburg (Yard No. 661), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
11.1973: Completed.
3.6.1993: Whilst outward bound in thick fog from Antwerp to Fiumicino and having just landed her Pilot in Flushing Roads, collided with the Panamanian bulk carrier WESTERN WINNER, (15,954g/82), inward bound to pick up a Pilot in Flushing Roads. BRITISH TRENT burst into flames and was abandoned with the loss of seven lives and a further two missing. The WESTERN WINNER proceeded into port for examination. Following the dowsing of the flames by six fire-fighting tugs, the gutted BRITISH TRENT was towed stern first toward an anchorage outside Rotterdam for safety inspection before entering that port for the remaining cargo to be discharged.
10.6.1993: Berthed at Botlek, Rotterdam and subsequently sold to the salvors, Smit Internationale Sleepbootmaatschappij "Smit New York" B. V., and renamed RITIS under St. Vincent and the Grenadines flag.
28.6.1993: Departed in tow from Rotterdam enroute to Aliaga for demolition.
21.7.1993: Arrived.
9.1993: Demolition commenced by Kalkavan Gemi Sokum Ticaret A. S.

BRITISH TAY
O.N. 360552. 15,650g. 9,660n. 25,650d. 562’ 6”(BB) x 82’ 2” x 31’ 4” oa.
Post 1992: 14,894g. 10,498n. 25,650d.
23.1.1973: Launched by M/V Eriksbergs Ab (Lindholmen Div), Gothenburg (Yard No. 660), for B.P. Tanker Company Ltd.
6.1973: Completed.
1992: Sold to T. C. P. Marine Shipping Company Ltd., Panama, and renamed SOUTH WIND
I.1994: Sold to International Oil Tanking Company Ltd., (Eurasia Shipping & Management Company Ltd., managers), Panama.
1997: Removed from management.
23.7.1997: Anchored off Alang to await demolition.

BRITISH TRIDENT Charter / lease. Very large crude carrier (VLCC)
O.N. 363290. 133,035g. 108,854n. 270,983d. 338.34(BB) x 53.68 x 20.714 metres.
Two, steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 S.H.P.
30.1.1974: Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki (Yard No. 1706), for Airlease International Nominees Ltd., (P. & O. Bulk Shipping Division, managers), London.
4.6.1974: Completed for a 15 year demise charter to and operation by B.P. Tanker Company Ltd. 1981: Charterers restyled as B.P. Shipping Ltd.
1981: B.P. Shipping Ltd., appointed as managers.
31.5.1983 until 9.7.1986: Laid up at Brunei Bay.
1989: Renamed EASTERN TRUST, (same managers).
1990: World-Wide Shipping Agency Ltd., appointed as managers.
1991: Sold to Ritara Ltd., (same managers).
1992: Sold to Blue Wave Maritime S. A., Panama, and renamed ASSOS BAY.
11.11.1995: Repossessed by United States Trust Company, as Mortgagees.
3.3.1996: Renamed FORTUNE QUEEN under United Arab Emirates flag.
1.4.1996: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.

BRITISH RENOWN Very large crude carrier (VLCC)
O.N. 363187. 133,035g. 108,854n. 270,025d. 338.64(BB) x 53.68 x 20.657 metres.
Two, steam turbines made by the Nagasaki Shipbuilding & Engineering Works, Nagasaki, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 S.H.P.
10.11.1973: Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki (Yard No. 1703), for the B.P. Medway Tanker Company Ltd., London.
4.1974: Completed.
1978: Converted into a storage tanker.
1979: Re-converted into a tanker.
At 12:02hrs local time -10.7.1984: Whilst enroute to discharge TIBURON off Dubai was attacked by 2 Iranian aircraft at a position 26.32N., 51.56.30E. Slight damage from a fire which was extinguished by crew.
11.7.1984: Arrived at Dubai Anchorage for repair to 1 metre diameter hole in No.2 starboard tank.
17.9.1984: Sailed for Gibraltar.
1985: Transferred to B.P. Thames Tanker Company Ltd.
1990: Transferred to B.P. Shipping Ltd., Bahamian registry.
22.7.1994: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.

brooksy
5th March 2010, 18:45
Found the Discharge Book and it shows I signed on the British Pride at Porto Foxi 30/3/82 signed of 28/8/82 at Angle Bay. That makes the information given to BillH by BP for his book wrong .I have a copy of the book and apart from that small error a well put together book about the company.

BillH
5th March 2010, 19:20
Found the Discharge Book and it shows I signed on the British Pride at Porto Foxi 30/3/82 signed of 28/8/82 at Angle Bay. That makes the information given to BillH by BP for his book wrong .I have a copy of the book and apart from that small error a well put together book about the company.
Thanks for the comment regarding the book. Glad you enjoyed it. Originally it was over 600 pages of A4 but the publisher shrunk everything down to fit within his budget margin.

That action unfortunately led to the ship plans and a few other images in the front section being made next to useless, something we were annoyed about.

Also the ship details were reworked into very small font size and again images reduced in size.

I am currently reworking the original fleet layout and updating ship details wherever possible in an attempt to bring it up to date with a view to perhaps making it available as a PDF document (including images) on a CD but being aware not to breach publisher contractual obligations.

Bill

Graham Wallace
5th March 2010, 19:33

'The British Tankers' by Norman Middlemiss indicates the Pride was built 1973 and in 1982 became 'Susangird' ( Iran)

Graham

brooksy
5th March 2010, 19:34
Thanks for the comment regarding the book. Glad you enjoyed it. Originally it was over 600 pages of A4 but the publisher shrunk everything down to fit within his budget margin.

That action unfortunately led to the ship plans and a few other images in the front section being made next to useless, something we were annoyed about.

Also the ship details were reworked into very small font size and again images reduced in size.

I am currently reworking the original fleet layout and updating ship details wherever possible in an attempt to bring it up to date with a view to perhaps making it available as a PDF document (including images) on a CD but being aware not to breach publisher contractual obligations.

BillI must admit looking at the River class pipeline diagram through a magnifying glass was abit of a chore regards Brooksy

colin moore
21st September 2010, 19:46
i also served two trips on the pride as junior eng,( colin moore) first time short trip ending in hospital in lome africa, where they bent the prop getting close enough to get me onto a tug, july 1974. second trip ending in gaurantee dry dock at st nazair. great ship and crew. i remember at one time there were seven wives on board. remember building the bar and had a great time in all. also my favourite steam ship, although i must say i prefered the motor ships.

Treborvfr
21st September 2010, 23:10
i also served two trips on the pride as junior eng,( colin moore) first time short trip ending in hospital in lome africa, where they bent the prop getting close enough to get me onto a tug, july 1974. second trip ending in gaurantee dry dock at st nazair. great ship and crew. i remember at one time there were seven wives on board. remember building the bar and had a great time in all. also my favourite steam ship, although i must say i prefered the motor ships.

Hi Colin,

You must have been on her when I was onboard as Junior R/O (and, indeed, looking at post #6 you were). I joined her in Europoort, November 1974, and left in April 1975. I was on for the gaurantee Dry Dock but for some reason thought it was at Brest, I must be getting confused in my old age!

My fondest memory was going ashore in Milford Haven, to Pembroke, just before the dry dock, and on my return managing to sweet talk the refinery security in letting a few girls back onboard with us. They all left at midnight, except one who wanted to get to know me a bit better ;) , she left a few hours later. I was expecting a right old rollicking off the old man in the morning, but nothing was said. :D

Bob

colin moore
22nd September 2010, 11:21
hi there. you are correct it was at brest, i must be older than you. i seem to remember the girls in pembroke. if you recall my father did a couple of ttrips from the isle of grain to pembroke before we went to france. i left at the end of the dry dock just as they were starting to get her ready for sea again.
Hi Colin,

You must have been on her when I was onboard as Junior R/O (and, indeed, looking at post #6 you were). I joined her in Europoort, November 1974, and left in April 1975. I was on for the gaurantee Dry Dock but for some reason thought it was at Brest, I must be getting confused in my old age!

My fondest memory was going ashore in Milford Haven, to Pembroke, just before the dry dock, and on my return managing to sweet talk the refinery security in letting a few girls back onboard with us. They all left at midnight, except one who wanted to get to know me a bit better ;) , she left a few hours later. I was expecting a right old rollicking off the old man in the morning, but nothing was said. :D

Bob

Treborvfr
22nd September 2010, 17:04
hi there. you are correct it was at brest, i must be older than you. i seem to remember the girls in pembroke. if you recall my father did a couple of ttrips from the isle of grain to pembroke before we went to france. i left at the end of the dry dock just as they were starting to get her ready for sea again.

Nice to meet you again Colin (Wave)
To be honest I don't remember much about that trip, or the people, other than I didn't get on very well with the Senior R/O at the time!
I remember being jumped on for the crossing the line ceremony and I remember the large number of wives onboard, who seemed to take delight in seeing me stripped (not a pretty sight). I also recall the magnificent Cape Dinners on there.

We had problems shortly after leaving Brest DD and had to call into Las Palmas for repairs IIRC.

Thats about all I can remember