City of Glasgow

AlexBooth
9th May 2007, 20:43
Anyone clarify this for me - says its taken in 1978, appears to me a charter under the black white & shite, anyone any idea what service she was on ? or any other info - Cheers

rothesian
9th May 2007, 21:13
left Ellermans end of 78 - can't remember any vessels with red hull - could it be one of the appledore boats later on

AlexBooth
9th May 2007, 21:41
To me she was on charter to Ellermans, why else would she have the red hull ? Thats why Im asking, seems strange to me that that E&B would charter in ships even in 78, since as far as I know they had turned over most of their trade lanes

rothesian
9th May 2007, 23:21
Ellerman City Liners were chartering a good few vessels in the late 70's - most took on the old names of Papayanni, (excuse spelling) like Egyptian (formerly Otto Danielsen) - these were mainly on Med trade others like Texelstroom were on long term charter but kept their own name - just can't remember any container vessel charters like the City of Glasgow - the Med trade had bare board charters of 7 Seacontainer Hustler class originally named after Portugese rivers, Mondego, Tagus, Tamega then changed to City of Lisbon, City of Opporto, City of Venice etc.
They did share other conference trades with Harrison, Ben and Strath

Fergus 62
10th May 2007, 07:57
(Thumb) Don't know who the owner is or why it is operating with Ellerman name/funnel colours but this vessel is currently operating - last through Liverpool 05.April.2007 (yes - last month). Built 1978 14050 grt 15270 dwt. Any further info would be interesting as I sailed a couple of trips on the 1962 build City of Glasgow.

Fergus 62

rothesian
10th May 2007, 14:19
Did a bit of digging and understand from a fairly reliable source that Hamburg-Sud bought out the Ellerman name around the turn of the century, certainly the containers are correct and the red hull - after '78 it was Barclay Bros., Management buy out for a spell, then Trafalgar House and Kaevernar before being split up again

Fergus 62
10th May 2007, 14:55
Yea the Hamburg Sud theory would appear to be correct given the evidence, and they did buy out the name etc. Perhaps they are retaining the name/funnel colours on one ship for nostalgic/identy purposes

Fergus 62

AlexBooth
10th May 2007, 15:05
Did a bit of digging and understand from a fairly reliable source that Hamburg-Sud bought out the Ellerman name around the turn of the century, certainly the containers are correct and the red hull - after '78 it was Barclay Bros., Management buy out for a spell, then Trafalgar House and Kaevernar before being split up again

Turn of the century ? Arrgghh ! Sounds so wierd....
So are you telling me that the Ellerman name/brand is now owned by Hamburg Sud ?
Cheers (Pint) (Smoke)

rothesian
10th May 2007, 17:58
details from Lloyds
City of Glasgow
Home Port Hong Kong
Country of Registry Hong Kong, China
Speed .18
Displacement 22267
Year of Build 1978
Former Name EXPRESS
Date Name Changed 1998-09-01 00:00:00.0
Best Contact Name Shanghai Costamare Ship Mgmt
Contact Address 1902 Sino Life Tower,
707, Zhangyang Lu,
Shanghai,
China.

rothesian
10th May 2007, 20:53
picture of City of Glasgow is posted on Hamburg Sud's web page - this time registered in Greece
on S America - Med trade

C R Williamson
25th May 2007, 10:47
I too sailed on the City of Glasgow. I have a good photo from 1968 taken in Mombassa en route from India to Montreal. I will try to get it on site. I have never tried before - I swore I would never go on Chat rooms etc!

Chouan
8th June 2007, 11:31
I got an Email last week from my brother who is a Marine Superintendant in Limassol, who said that he saw an Ellerman funnel in Limassol, on further inspection it was called "City of Glasgow", but he described it as looking like a Blue Star ship. No further vdetails as yet. He thought Ellermans was now owned by Bank Line.

TIM HUDSON
8th January 2008, 17:33
I was aboard 1960's City of Glasgow at Newcastle quayside sometime in her early years when she was having her owners suite accomodation being improved/extended for a voyage to the Cape by Sir John Ellerman. If I remember correctly he only made that one voyage on her as she was a noisy motor ship. He prefered a steam turbine ship but by that time they were becoming old and fewer in number.

Fergus 62
9th January 2008, 20:06
Tim
I did two trips on the City of Glasgow, both to the Far East
Voyage 2 28.8.63 to 26.12.63 and Voyage 7 23.06.65 to 23.10.65. Sometime between these dates her accom was dramatically changed to include a suit for JRE. As you say he did one trip to South Africa and did not like the motor ship prefering steam turbine. When we operated voyage 7 the suit was still there , unused, fully furnished including a grand piano. Suit locked up and no one allowed in. I have spoken to folk since who have told me it remained that way for a long time.

Regards

Fergus 62