Liverpool Watering Holes

Pages : 1 [2]

Pat Kennedy
18th May 2009, 19:28
It only happened the once Pat although others claim they did the same.
I used to enjoy the last pint in the Park View (Park Station). It was a Yates house and the Bitter was good. I have mentioned this before to Dave (Makko). I seem to have this image with the Guinness and Bitter struggling with the SG difference. One can hardly take a spoon to a Black and Tan. I assume their will be authorites on what constitutes a B&T. Guinness over Bitter or Mild. Never trusted Mild.!!

Brgds

Bill

You were right not to Bill. A barmaid of my acquaintance, told me that all the slops went straight back into the mild. She worked in the Wellington in Liscard, and then The Albion and finally the Hotel Victoria, all 'good pubs', but her advice was the same in all of them. "Stick to the bitter"
Black and Tan was Guinness and Bitter in my experience, although I prefer straight Guinness, especially if I am visiting my Dublin relations!
Rgds,
Pat

Bill Davies
18th May 2009, 21:37
Pat,

The problem you have in Dublin in recent years is having your Guinness poured by an Irishman. Things are changing though.

Brgds

Bill

Fieldsy
19th May 2009, 09:07
You were right not to Bill. A barmaid of my acquaintance, told me that all the slops went straight back into the mild. ,

Only in pubs where they didn't care about the quality of their mild. The only time I've ever seen mild adulterated is in a mates pub - he used to add a pint of Guinness to a barrel of mild as soon as there was room for it. Improved it no end and he had a loyal following of mild drinkers.

I now live in the Black Country - one of the last bastions of mild drinkers. No pubs I know would dare tinker with their mild. No doubt lots of places do - but none with discerning drinkers I'd guess.

TonyAllen
19th May 2009, 13:56
Fieldsy. I once bought a pub in old swan and the manager was famous for his mild and he used to put in a pint of guiness and hears the kicker, a glass of brandy as well, that was for a 5 gallon keg and in the cellar he would wrap a blanket round it so it would not get as cold as the bitter and lager Regards Tony Allen

Bill Davies
19th May 2009, 19:08
I recall a manager in the 60s who kept such a good pint of bitter that his old customers from Greasby followed him to the Pilot Boat House, Wallasey (near the Mags).

Brgds

Bill

makko
19th May 2009, 20:26
Bill,
I have definitely had a "senior moment"! You have just awoken even the grey cells that I don't have! I hope that I have the right story now - Uncle Alan and Aunty Doll were publicans of the Coach and Horses in Greasby and then took over the Pilot Boat (not Mag) about (guessing) '69-'70! All I remeber is that their White's pop was very good! Ha-ha!
Rgds.
Dave

makko
19th May 2009, 21:19
Would that be Alan Taylor?

Hi Bill,
I can't for the life of me remember their surname, I will find out though!
Dave

Bill Davies
19th May 2009, 21:24
Alan Taylor was landlord of the Coach & Horses in Greasby in the early 60s
We used to use the casks as tables in the rear yard in fine weather. Alan moved to the Pilot Boat House in the mid 60s and maintained a good pint.
No chance of drinking too much with Alan. As soon as you started slurring your words you were on Lemonade.

Bill

tell
20th May 2009, 02:11
the sod house in rice lane in Liverpool was called that because the manager used to put fresh sods of grass over the barrels and keep them wet-result perfect ale

Captain America
20th May 2009, 17:36
Hi Bill,
I can't for the life of me remember their surname, I will find out though!
Dave

I'm having a senior, senior moment. Being a couple of years older than Makko (my esteemed brother) I can tell you with confidence that the suname was Turner. Alan and Dolly Turner (our Aunt and Uncle) took over the Pilot Boat in the 60's and were there for 8 years until Alan died in 1973 or 74 I think. Alan was ex-RN and had retired as a Chief Petty Officer. I remember many happy occasions there on the roof in the summers after they had shut at 3pm and before they opened again at 5pm. Aunty Doll was a keen gardener and the rooftop was alive with planters and baskets of flowers of all descriptions.

Bill Davies
20th May 2009, 19:07
I'm having a senior, senior moment. Being a couple of years older than Makko (my esteemed brother) I can tell you with confidence that the suname was Turner. Alan and Dolly Turner (our Aunt and Uncle) took over the Pilot Boat in the 60's and were there for 8 years until Alan died in 1973 or 74 I think. Alan was ex-RN and had retired as a Chief Petty Officer. I remember many happy occasions there on the roof in the summers after they had shut at 3pm and before they opened again at 5pm. Aunty Doll was a keen gardener and the rooftop was alive with planters and baskets of flowers of all descriptions.

You beat me to it. During the course of the day I remembered that his name was Turner.

Bill

tom roberts
20th May 2009, 23:11
An old Cunard Yank Dapper Johnie Gilmore ran a pub in Childer Thornton outside Ellesmere Port the Halfway House next time I saw him he was running The Perch Rock in New Brighton kept up the old tradition of sevice in the parlour a practice I kept up when I ran The Clock in St Domingo Rd Liverpool last saw John on stage at the Philarmonic at the premier of Cunard Yanks he was still as dapper as ever his mother in law said to his wife you are not marrting a man you are marrying a suit, It was a good show memories of the Diner etc by the way John kept a good pint cheers to all Tom Roberts ex Inde

Pat Kennedy
21st May 2009, 20:06
I'm a little lost now Pat. What is the name of that pub at the top of lane leading down to the locks. Is it the Bee?
I recall, on one occasiona going up for a final pint (30 minutes max!) when sailing on a 'china boats'.
Brgds

Bill

Bill,
I drove down that way today and had a mooch around.
The pub on the Wallasey Dock Rd that was once the Bee is now one of those 'Irish' theme pubs, named Peggy O'Flaherty's or some such cod Irish name.
East Street is the name of the lane leading down to the Locks and now has high fences and security gates at the end so there is no free access to the locks anymore.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
21st May 2009, 20:14
Thanks for that Pat.

Brgds

Bill

ray morgan
28th May 2009, 09:07
I don't think anyone mentioned the pub between the Norsman and Griffin, was it the Caladonian it had a sign like a draught board outside.

Fieldsy
28th May 2009, 11:38
I don't think anyone mentioned the pub between the Norsman and Griffin, was it the Caladonian it had a sign like a draught board outside.

I remember the three on the trot - Dominion, Norseman, Griffin - but don't recall another pub inbetween.

Didn't one of the breweries have a chequerboard as their company sign?

ray morgan
28th May 2009, 12:37
It did have a chequerboard brewery logo I don't know the brewery though I think there is a stand of trees were the pub once stood,I have racket my brains also for the name of the pub facing the Irish club on Derby Rd up to now no one can tell me,I have not got a clue.

Captain America
28th May 2009, 17:46
I remember the three on the trot - Dominion, Norseman, Griffin - but don't recall another pub inbetween.

Didn't one of the breweries have a chequerboard as their company sign?

Wilsons Brewery, same as the Graving Dock pub (long gone) on Beaufort Road Birkenhead.

eldersuk
29th May 2009, 00:09
Was the one opposite the Irish Club called the Elm House?

Derek

ray morgan
29th May 2009, 00:46
The pub facing the Elm House was the Bootle Arms ,they were further North.

Pat Kennedy
16th June 2009, 16:35
A famous Birkenhead pub mentioned earlier in this thread was the 'Bloodtub' real name the New Dock Hotel, in the North end of the town close to Bidston Dock.
I drove past it this afternoon and was surprised to see it being demolished.
Good riddance I say, it was a horrendous pub.
Pat

makko
16th June 2009, 16:51
I agree Pat - Good riddance!

Pat Kennedy
16th June 2009, 17:02
Dave,
No doubt you have some equally horrendous 'cantinas' in Mexico.
I like the sound of that one in Juarez. (Pour me another Tequila, Sheila)
Pat(Thumb)

makko
16th June 2009, 21:08
Pat,
Where are there no dodgy cantinas! Quite a rhetorical question - Requiring diligent research!
When will the Oyster Catcher et al go the same way?
Cheers,
Dave

Bill Davies
16th June 2009, 21:18
Behave yourselves! The Blood Tub and the Oyster Catcher (Twickenham Drive??) are no place for respectable China Boat men.

Brgds

Bill

Macphail
16th June 2009, 21:51
Bill,

During the fifties I was a apprentice engineer at UKAEA Capenhurst. Digs with Mrs Buckley, (A very fine lady), 9 Bidston Avenue, Wallasey Village. (Round the corner from Grove Road Station and near the Phoenix picture house).
This was the birth of “Rock and Roll” period.
The “Green Bank” dancing school on a Saturday night, The “New Brighton Tower”, Les Brown with his band of renown, “Rock Around the Clock”, Liscard cinema riot,
I was there jiving in the aisle.
Dances in the Harrison Drive hall.

Happy days.

John.

Bill Davies
16th June 2009, 22:01
John,
I recall the 'Greenbank' dance studio being on Strouds Corner. A pub known as the 'Little Brighton' (locally known as 'The Little Ginny') alongside it. Across the road was one of my locals, 'The Sandridge'. The Tower ballroom, the Phoenix (bottom of Sandy Lane, Wallasey Village).

Bill

Pat Kennedy
16th June 2009, 22:05
And I live around the corner from Bidston Avenue, and know all of those places you mention, plus the Melody Inn nightclub in Wallasey Village across the road from Bidston Ave
Pat

Bill Davies
16th June 2009, 22:22
And I live around the corner from Bidston Avenue, and know all of those places you mention, plus the Melody Inn nightclub in Wallasey Village across the road from Bidston Ave
Pat

Knew of its existance and where it was but, never went inside its doors.

Bill

Pat Kennedy
16th June 2009, 22:29
Bill,
It was a good, well run place which had some quality acts from time to time,(saw Freddy and the Dreamers there), and was a little bit of glamour in a humdrum small town.
Pat

makko
17th June 2009, 03:49
Behave yourselves! The Blood Tub and the Oyster Catcher (Twickenham Drive??) are no place for respectable China Boat men.

Brgds

Bill

Hey Bill,
Shame on you! You seem to know them very well! It is indeed Twickenham Drive, HaHa!

I personally have never crossed the threshold of either - Well, the Oyster once - The shame! I've even been in the Leasowe Castle, Black Horse, Ship, Pool Inn, Rose & Crown etc. etc. Once even, the 5 Bars Rest! I used to fancy myself as an Amateur Anthropologist of sorts, aided and abetted on occasion by my trusty cohorts Snoopy, Mr. Pirelli, Glug and/or Chesty!

Regards from Austin, Texas,
Dave

makko
17th June 2009, 03:53
Pat/John/Bill,
I cannot for the life of me place Bidston Avenue? The Melody rings a bell, Phoenix went there lots. Sandy Lane etc. no problem, but Bidston Ave.?
Regards,
Dave

Pat Kennedy
17th June 2009, 09:16
Dave,
Bidston Avenue is a cul de sac off Wallasey Village, directly opposite Longworth's bike shop.
Pat

makko
17th June 2009, 14:40
With the Launderette on the corner and my mate's (Chesty Morgan) Dad's paper shop next door. I never knew the name! I would have plumped for Laburnum Crescent, but that's elsewhere.

Pat, do you remember the train set in Longworth's window? You would put a penny in a slot and the trains would go around for a while. That's going back a way! I got my first proper bike off old Mr. Longworth, a Puchs Free Spirit 10 speed! The bike I still have, a Raleigh Pursuit, was brought back from the UK. It too was serviced at Longworth's (I got it off my big bro).

Regards,
Dave

Pat Kennedy
17th June 2009, 17:19
With the Launderette on the corner and my mate's (Chesty Morgan) Dad's paper shop next door. I never knew the name! I would have plumped for Laburnum Crescent, but that's elsewhere.

Pat, do you remember the train set in Longworth's window? You would put a penny in a slot and the trains would go around for a while. That's going back a way! I got my first proper bike off old Mr. Longworth, a Puchs Free Spirit 10 speed! The bike I still have, a Raleigh Pursuit, was brought back from the UK. It too was serviced at Longworth's (I got it off my big bro).

Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,
Yes I knew Mr Morgan, funny sort of bloke, used to walk all round the town in his fawn gaberdine and brown trilby, and I knew his wife and I think we called her 'Chesty' for two very obvious reasons!
I also got my first bike from Longworths when I passed the eleven plus exam., and so did our kid, and so did all three of my kids. Sadly, Mr Longworth died about five years ago and the bike shop is no more.

Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

makko
17th June 2009, 19:00
Chesty was Mr. Morgan's son - We were in school and played rugby together, both Mosslands and New Brighton RUFC. Mr. Morgan had led a varied life to say the least! They were Welsh and Chesty's grandparents didn't really speak english, unusual because they were from N. Wales, out Llandudno way.

One thing that "fascinated" me about Mr. Longworth was the wear in his teeth from sucking on his pipe! Another great shop for kids was Peter Toner's in Liscard, behind the Woolies. I especially remember getting a 1/24 motorised Tamiya Chieftain Tank model one birthday.

Regards,
Dave

Pat Kennedy
17th June 2009, 19:11
Dave,
I had a look at Longworth's tonight on my way home from work. It is now a 'unisex tanning salon'
No bikes in there then.
Pat

Captain America
18th June 2009, 23:05
Hey Bill,
Shame on you! You seem to know them very well! It is indeed Twickenham Drive, HaHa!

I personally have never crossed the threshold of either - Well, the Oyster once - The shame! I've even been in the Leasowe Castle, Black Horse, Ship, Pool Inn, Rose & Crown etc. etc. Once even, the 5 Bars Rest! I used to fancy myself as an Amateur Anthropologist of sorts, aided and abetted on occasion by my trusty cohorts Snoopy, Mr. Pirelli, Glug and/or Chesty!

Regards from Austin, Texas,
Dave

The Leasowe opposite Squibbs was demolished to build flats, the Black Horse closed but is now upmarket and has re-opened as "Sheridens", the Ship is still there (but for sale), Pool Inn is closed (and will be demolished if there is no buyer), Rose and Crown (grandad Tommy Rogers favourite haunt) is still there.

makko
19th June 2009, 01:56
Hey Bro,
Thanks for the update. If you're in Austin, go to the Iron Cactus - You can SMOKE AT THE BAR!
Dave

davidrwarwick
19th June 2009, 09:15
Dave ,
I think you'll find that Peter Toner's shop was in Seaview Road (it is now part of Laurie's Jewellers), the shop behind Woolies was called the Hobby Shop (now a restaurant), I bought my first s/h SLR camera there in 1972 (Pentax S1a). Also the Bloodtub is now demolished, they are just clearing away the remaining debris.

Dave

makko
19th June 2009, 12:16
Dave ,
I think you'll find that Peter Toner's shop was in Seaview Road (it is now part of Laurie's Jewellers), the shop behind Woolies was called the Hobby Shop (now a restaurant).

Dave

Thanks Dave W.
My mistake, you are of course right! There was also Mortimer's in Moreton, another good toy shop! There was also the sports shop, Kenny Campbells? I used to go once a year to get fully kitted out for the oncoming Rugby season. I had seen that the Hobby Shop was a "Bistro" sort of place.
Talking of watering holes, what was the pub opposite KC's? MarMar used to DJ there? It was ok and (in my free and easy days!) good for a "pull"!
Regards,
Dave

Captain America
19th June 2009, 18:28
Think you mean the Wellington, closed and re-opened as "The Duke".

davidrwarwick
19th June 2009, 19:27
Or it could of been The Royal Oak (aka The Irish House) they had DJs and loose women there from the early eighties, still do I think, or maybe the club that used to be over the Cap, I think it was called Stairways. Kenny Campbells old shop is now an Indian Restaurant.

Dave

Pat Kennedy
19th June 2009, 19:36
Dave,
I think you are right, it was The Oak, its still in business and has bands on at the weekend, my son was in there a couple of weeks ago with his wife, (I babysat) and they said they had a good night.
Another Pub frequented by seamen was Brasseys at Seacombe Ferry, properly called the Marine Hotel, it was demolished several years ago and houses built on the site.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
19th June 2009, 21:08
Here is one for you all. Where in Wallasey would you find 'Charley Fayres (spelling)'.

Pat Kennedy
19th June 2009, 21:31
Here is one for you all. Where in Wallasey would you find 'Charley Fayres (spelling)'.
Bill,
you've got me there, unless.... There is a pub called Charlie Chalks, run by a conglomerate called Brewers Fayre. Nah I'm just grasping at straws.
Pat

Bill Davies
19th June 2009, 21:37
Oakdale Road. There was two pubs. The Dale Inn (Charley Fairs) and the Bird In the Hand. I believe Charley Fairs (The Dale Inn) was knocked down and rebuilt on Lloyds corner maybe 30 years ago. I would not know if the Bird in the Hand is still standing. Charley Fairs was a Yates house and served a good pint. The Bird in the Hand was a Bents house and not to my likeing.

Brgds

Bill

Pat Kennedy
20th June 2009, 13:28
Good afternoon Bill.
I never heard it referred to as Charlie Fayres,I seem to recall at one time it was named the Carousel but customer pressure forced the brewery to rename it the Dale Inn. but it is gone, there is a Tesco there now. As for the Bird in Hand, in Oakdale Rd, I think its still a going concern, but I'll check it out when I go to St Josephs in the morning.
Another good old pub you may remember is the Saddle in Withens Lane, one of the last around to have bell-pushes in the various little parlours and snugs, which would bring a barmaid to take your order and bring it to you a couple of minutes later, an entirely more civilised and enjoyable way of going for a pint than the present scrum at the bar. I had my first drink in there when I was aged 14.
Regards,
Pat

Bill Davies
20th June 2009, 14:42
Pat,
I knew of 'The Saddle' (single story??) but have never been inside. The 'Primrose' (not a 100 yds away) used to sell Falstaff which in the late 50s was the attraction. Closest to home was of course 'The Nelson' in Grove Road and the big attraction there was 'Davenports bitter' which I recall was reputed to be something special.
The 'Sandridge' on Strouds corner was my haunt up until the early 60s but would often call in to to have a chat with Paddy, Billy C & Jimmy Mason when they were at home and holding court.

Bill

Pat Kennedy
20th June 2009, 22:11
Bill,
The Primrose was a damn good pub back in the sixties and seventies. the boss was Ted Savage who had played for Man Utd and Liverpool pre war.
His daughter Lorna took over after Ted died, and kept it going in much the same tradition. It was probably the best pub in Wallasey for many years, and had the best Sunday league football team. I played at right back whenever I was home on leave.
Another excellent pub was the 'Little Welly' in Poole Rd, close to the Gaumont Cinema. A quiet pub most of the time, it was jumping on a Friday night, when there was live music, ex sailors and lots of girls. Brilliant!
Pat(Thumb)

Sue Reid
22nd September 2009, 14:31
The 'Pig & Whistle' and 'Ma Boyles' (when it was in it's original form)
I remember Ma Boyles very well. In the 60s and early 70s I worked in The Albany in Old Hall Street (Keith Davidson and Partners - some of you will probably have heard of it) and Ma Boyles was our favourite place to go. It was formerly a Wesleyan Chapel (so we were told) with a sort of gallery at high level. It was one of the first pubs in Liverpool to serve proper food and the atmosphere was fabulous. My happiest days were working in Liverpool at that time. The Albany was also the most fabulous building and I am so pleased that I had the privilege of working there. We occupied the whole of the 'loft' in the North corridor (I think) and it was just the most wonderful place. I usually travelled from Wirral to Liverpool on the ferry and can remember the beautiful Empress of England and the Empress of Canada in dock. There was a good deal of river traffic in those days and always something of interest to see and chat about to fellow passengers as we promenaded around the deck (anti clockwise I seems to remember). I met some wonderful people on those journeys and I wonder if anyone would remember me in a miniskirt, a brown corduroy jacket and a red woolly hat! I have SUCH happy memories of that time.

tom roberts
24th September 2009, 21:04
Just had goodfortune to sail thro the docks Stanley to Albert dock via the new canal past the three graces walking thro the Liverpool one precinct spotted the Eagle pub or what is left of it the wonderfull carved eagle I didnt know that it was once the American consulate at least the building has not been torn down oh the happy memories of of pubs in that area 1950s

nick olass
25th September 2009, 00:21
I remember Ma Boyles very well. In the 60s and early 70s I worked in The Albany in Old Hall Street (Keith Davidson and Partners - some of you will probably have heard of it) and Ma Boyles was our favourite place to go. It was formerly a Wesleyan Chapel (so we were told) with a sort of gallery at high level. It was one of the first pubs in Liverpool to serve proper food and the atmosphere was fabulous. My happiest days were working in Liverpool at that time. The Albany was also the most fabulous building and I am so pleased that I had the privilege of working there. We occupied the whole of the 'loft' in the North corridor (I think) and it was just the most wonderful place. I usually travelled from Wirral to Liverpool on the ferry and can remember the beautiful Empress of England and the Empress of Canada in dock. There was a good deal of river traffic in those days and always something of interest to see and chat about to fellow passengers as we promenaded around the deck (anti clockwise I seems to remember). I met some wonderful people on those journeys and I wonder if anyone would remember me in a miniskirt, a brown corduroy jacket and a red woolly hat! I have SUCH happy memories of that time.

Hiya Sue

Bet you sent a few pulses racing in that miniskirt.
The Albany Sue, was not just a building, it was an art form. Liverpool is blessed with many other fantastic structures, though some, have dark and sinister origins, however, you have to marvel at the sheer beauty of them. The newer glass boxes have no appeal whatsoever to me. The city back then was so vibrant/electric, but maybe that's just me, but I did walk into more than a few lamp-posts, all due to the Sue's of the day, parading in their 'mini's'.

All the best Nick.