Liverpool Watering Holes

Pages : [1] 2

rothesian
12th May 2007, 20:45
thought I might just list a few favourites before they all disappear - most probably gone already
Aigberth Arms obviously, Crocodile (Who was the barmaid in the mid sixties who ready looked after Blue Flue middy's when they were poorly? I remember in 64 being somewhat under the weather from the night before and being given a glass of Ferny Branko (Spelling?) but not to smell it - did the trick for about 3 hours then relapsed again), The Flying Angel (3/6d for 3 course lunch 3d extra for a cup of tea), 41 club upper parliament street (run by Hughie Fish), Blue Angel (some great music), 7 Steps at Toxteth (run by Angela and Mum, who made sure you got back to your ship safely with wallet intact)
any more?

Hague
12th May 2007, 22:59
Well Alistair,
And all those years ago on the 'Maron' I thought of you as a tee totaller!

makko
13th May 2007, 00:10
Slaughter House and Baltic Fleet. Atlantic Tower Hotel (always wanted to steal a table!). Grapes etc around Central Station. The Swan. HMS Eaglet (Princes Half Tide Dock). Philarmonic (Architectural Tour - especially the "Urinals"!).

We Eng Cadets got banned from Rockfords (Hatton Garden) Where we would have a monthly feast! River Cruises on the Royal Iris!!! Then the police asking where we were going (Some members of this close knit fraternity walking half naked, some in ASDA shopping trolleys, down the street from the tunnel bus at 0300) "To Iliad House!" - "Oh! You're F***** Eng Cadets - Get along now!!
I still bear the scars!!!

Regards,

Dave

rothesian
13th May 2007, 04:12
Well Alistair,
And all those years ago on the 'Maron' I thought of you as a tee totaller!

regrettably not in those days - I thought I was enjoying myself - great memories though

GALTRA
13th May 2007, 14:36
Still have Liverpool "Wine Lodge" nightmares, morning after St. Patricks day '64, going down into the hold to dodge and feel sorry for myself to be handed a cup of coffee by a kind B&I docker of Irish extraction. I could feel it going down, hitting the fetid Aussie wine churning around and coming straight back up at full pressure to hit the bulkhead and change its colour to bright purple, and me a pale grey, dt days !!!!

rothesian
13th May 2007, 15:25
Slaughter House and Baltic Fleet. Atlantic Tower Hotel (always wanted to steal a table!). Grapes etc around Central Station. The Swan. HMS Eaglet (Princes Half Tide Dock). Philarmonic (Architectural Tour - especially the "Urinals"!).

We Eng Cadets got banned from Rockfords (Hatton Garden) Where we would have a monthly feast! River Cruises on the Royal Iris!!! Then the police asking where we were going (Some members of this close knit fraternity walking half naked, some in ASDA shopping trolleys, down the street from the tunnel bus at 0300) "To Iliad House!" - "Oh! You're F***** Eng Cadets - Get along now!!
I still bear the scars!!!

Regards,

Dave

The Slaughter House in the 60's was sawdust on the floor and No women allowed - opposite was the Corn Exchange popular with Moss Hutchison's at lunch time

kottemann
13th May 2007, 20:25
The Baltic Fleet is still open dont think its been done up since the sixties.

Gerry Whitehead
13th May 2007, 23:49
It was the 43 Club ( 43 Catherine Street) Run by Hugh & Billy (f) Fish. Great M.N. Watering Hole. LOts of good times in there before sailing.Was Peggy Carol the bar maid in the Crocodile as all the Harrison Pursers used to drink in the Croc at Lunchtime in the 60's

rothesian
14th May 2007, 02:42
It was the 43 Club ( 43 Catherine Street) Run by Hugh & Billy (f) Fish. Great M.N. Watering Hole. LOts of good times in there before sailing.Was Peggy Carol the bar maid in the Crocodile as all the Harrison Pursers used to drink in the Croc at Lunchtime in the 60's

after all these years calling it the 41 club - you're right - and Peggy was the barmaid's name , a real dear

Hague
14th May 2007, 08:35
The 'Pig & Whistle' and 'Ma Boyles' (when it was in it's original form)

Peter (Pat) Baker
14th May 2007, 21:49
Gerry,
we all remeber Peggy Carol in the Crocodile, and all the other places.
The Pig and Whistle, the Bodega, Corn Market etc.
What happy days.
Pat Baker.

Hague
14th May 2007, 23:44
Tom Hall's ( Mann Island)

Ventry
16th May 2007, 14:08
'Seven Steps' down the southend of the docks.There was also a good one along by Millers Bridge called 'The A1 at Lloyds'

BlythSpirit
16th May 2007, 14:53
What was the name of the tank landing craft that was disguised as a night club?

jhluxton
16th May 2007, 20:24
The LCT was the "Landfall".

She was acquired by Historic Warships at Birkenhead around 2000 - some preliminary hull work was done on the slipway at Cammell Laird just before the company crashed over the Costa Classica fiasco.

She was moved to East Float near the former Warships berth where she still resides unrestored.

John

sparkie2182
17th May 2007, 00:20
my old radio superintendant, when i was with cunardbrock as an r/o,always maintained the slaughterhouse was liverpools oldest pub?

can anyone confirm or dispute?

rothesian
17th May 2007, 00:22
understand Slaughter House and Pig & Whistle were both in existence in 1880 or before

Hague
17th May 2007, 00:24
I believe the oldest pub in Liverpool is ' The Hole in the Wall' . Tucked away behind 'Rigby's' Dale Street.

trotterdotpom
17th May 2007, 02:37
my old radio superintendant, when i was with cunardbrock as an r/o,always maintained the slaughterhouse was liverpools oldest pub?

can anyone confirm or dispute?

I seem to recall that the Slaughterhouse was used as a slave market, I Googled the place but couldn't confirm it. Mostly, all you get is stuff about Comedy Nights - not the same thing really!

According to posts on "yoliverpool.com" it iis on the site of an old slaughterhouse and has been there since 1723. Not a bad innings.

John T.

Hague
17th May 2007, 09:36
I don't think the 'Poste House' is anywhere near as old as 'Slaughterhouse ' or 'Hole in the Wall' but it was located Cumberland Street between Dale Street and Victoria Street ( Byrom Street end). As such, was handy for the Poly and a favourite of those up for Master's (too quiet for 2nd Mates & Mates).
Occasioned by Gordon Salisbury, Graham Colclough, Terry Beggs & Percy Owen.

eldersuk
18th May 2007, 00:24
Also allegedly occasioned by the Nathaniel Hawthorne when American consul in Liverpool and also by Hitler, who must have been doing a spot of reconnaisance for the blitz.
Now frequented quarterly by the Elder Dempster ex Pursers Circle which is a much more fearsome group than Hitler ever had.

Derek

makko
18th May 2007, 00:56
I'd forgotten the "Seven Steps".

trotterdotpom
18th May 2007, 14:23
Also allegedly occasioned by the Nathaniel Hawthorne when American consul in Liverpool and also by Hitler, who must have been doing a spot of reconnaisance for the blitz.
Now frequented quarterly by the Elder Dempster ex Pursers Circle which is a much more fearsome group than Hitler ever had.

Derek

Don't laugh. Hitler is supposed to have visited his half-brother Alois, who married and Irish girl and lived in Liverpool at Upper Stanhope Street, Toxteth. How do I know this? It all came out while I was on study leave at Riversdale in the '70s. A few of us used to drive past the rebuilt remains of Upper Stanhope Steet each morning and stick our arms out - respect!

A lot of folk don't realise that "Heil Hitler" is just a corruption of "Hey dair La".

John T.

Ventry
18th May 2007, 15:25
John T,

Best post all week!

norman.r
18th May 2007, 19:18
The Bulls Head behind the Cornmarket,a favourite Elder Dempster hideaway,known as the Bulls Tit.Never found out why.
The Hole in The Wall,men only in those days.
The Seven Steps,handy for the dock gates.
Norman.

eldersuk
19th May 2007, 00:00
Seven Steps today as a design studio. Formerly managed by Mrs Gavin and daughter Angela

eldersuk
19th May 2007, 00:55
Pig & Whistle as it was before someone came along a couple of years ago and "modernised" it. Sacrilege!!

eldersuk
19th May 2007, 01:07
The Cornmarket which has been knocked through and now includes the Bull's Tit

The Slaughter House which has taken on Irish nationality over the last few years.

Hague
19th May 2007, 08:16
Eldersuk,
Quite agree about the Pig & Whistle it is nothing short of a sacrilege.
Recall going in there quite a bit in the early 60s and there was a sort of routine going on where one day you would find the office workers from around the vicinity standing at the bar drinking and the dockers would be sitting down and another day vice versa. Can't say it was some tacit agreement but just an observation of some 40/45 years ago. U'stand the present owner is a 'scouse ' property developer. Hmmmm!!!

purserjuk
19th May 2007, 11:48
I remember the Bull's Head well! Beloved of Elder Dempster's Pursers Staff. The telephone number was even taped to the 'phone on Mary McGarry's desk in the Pursers Dept, India Buildings, in case the Superintendent wanted someone whilst we drinking our lunch.

trotterdotpom
19th May 2007, 12:56
How about the American Bar opposite Lime Street Station. I came out of the station one day and there were mobs of people behind a cordoned off area. Someone had parked a flash Mercedes right outside the pub - a no parking area and, as anyone who knows the area will verify, an insane place to park a car.

At the time (late '70s), it was even more insane to park a car with Irish number plates there! The army bomb disposal team were there and this Michael York lookalike officer marched up to the car and smashed a rear window with his swagger stick - he was posing a bit but who wouldn't have? He then chucked a detonator onto the back seat, led a pair of leads back to their truck and blew the crap out of the car and the owner's No Claims Bonus.

Fortunately, there was no bomb in the vehicle and the clientele of the American Bar returned to their pints.

Can I claim one of those Murky Navy badges for being present at this incident?

John T.

Hague
19th May 2007, 14:13
The 'Flat Iron' in Toxteth. Don't know it real name but obviously got its name from its location on a 'V' junction. A real 'deck crowd' pub with 'frisco rig' (YOYO gear) being taken apart methodically over 'Brown overs'.

kottemann
19th May 2007, 15:00
Hi Trotterpotdom

The American is still there good place for a pint on a sunday night as everywhere else slams its doors shut at 10 on a sunday night. As for the slaughterhouse being an Irish boozer I think every pub in Liverpool is if LFC are at home the weekend. A taxi driver wearing an Everton shirt once said to me "if it wasnt for you Paddy's Anfield and the city centre would be empty every saturday. When I travel to England to watch Leeds I stay in Liverpool because its a better night out the only pub I drink in with a nautical theme is the White Star on Mathew St.

Hague
20th May 2007, 11:26
Still have Liverpool "Wine Lodge" nightmares, morning after St. Patricks day '64, going down into the hold to dodge and feel sorry for myself to be handed a cup of coffee by a kind B&I docker of Irish extraction. I could feel it going down, hitting the fetid Aussie wine churning around and coming straight back up at full pressure to hit the bulkhead and change its colour to bright purple, and me a pale grey, dt days !!!!

Charley,
There is an old 'China boat' yarn about the 'Yates's Wine Lodge in Moorfields'
'The 'crowd' were sitting around one evening discussing ' how far north could one expect to see Dolphins'. Various people had claimed to see them off Lands Ends and as expected the Welsh members claimed they were sighted off Bardsey etc,etc. One 'old timer' Aussie Burke (at 84, the oldest seagoing AB in 'the China' in the early/mid 60s) after much reflection claimed to seen Dolphins outside 'the Wine Lodge on Moorfields'

price
20th May 2007, 20:48
I can remember some popular Liverpool pubs from the 1950s,not mentioned so far. 'The Temple Bar' in Dale St.. 'The Spanish Winehouse' in Whitechapel??. 'Dolly's' and 'The Duckhouse' 'The Garrick'. 'Oily Joes' in Oil St. I am sure that some of these were not their real names.
Cheers. Bruce.

Hague
21st May 2007, 18:17
There was a pub behind 'Rigby's close to the 'Hole in the Wall' known as 'Walters'. Closest pub in Liverpool in the early 60s to what is commonly found in 'the square mile' in London. Famous for its warm Roast Beef sandwiches.

rothesian
21st May 2007, 18:45
Not a pub but there should be a few who remember Stan Wa(l)ters outside Odyssey Works - Mug of tea and two rounds of toast

metallicgreen
21st May 2007, 20:26
Was called this as it was at the bottom of Oil Street. When us Custom's lads drank there in the mid 70's, the landlady was called Nell. She commanded respect but was a good laugh with everyone. There was never any trouble in there as she could nip it in the bud with a withering look. Nell's partner was a bloke called Mike who used to be a Mate off the Irish boats. The Guinness served there was the finest around as Mike had it brought over from Dublin on the B&I ferries Munster and Leinster that berthed at Trafalgar Dock just over the road. You could gain access at odd times of the day by tapping on the side door with your ring finger. Even the local bobbies used that trick. Oh happy days with lager at 25p a pint.

raybnz
22nd May 2007, 09:15
A pub I remember visiting was opposite the rail station and if my memory is correct you had to navigate down a few stairs to get to the bar. It was also close to the Post Office.

Although I spent a lot of time around Liverpool I cant remember many of the pubs. Perhaps it was the state I was in at the end of the night. But I must have been sober at sometime.

Can anyone remember falling asleep on the bus back to the docks.

noel grayson
22nd May 2007, 12:44
thought I might just list a few favourites before they all disappear - most probably gone already
Aigberth Arms obviously, Crocodile (Who was the barmaid in the mid sixties who ready looked after Blue Flue middy's when they were poorly? I remember in 64 being somewhat under the weather from the night before and being given a glass of Ferny Branko (Spelling?) but not to smell it - did the trick for about 3 hours then relapsed again), The Flying Angel (3/6d for 3 course lunch 3d extra for a cup of tea), 41 club upper parliament street (run by Hughie Fish), Blue Angel (some great music), 7 Steps at Toxteth (run by Angela and Mum, who made sure you got back to your ship safely with wallet intact)
any more?

How about " the Crooked Billet " in Hackins Hey?

eldersuk
23rd May 2007, 00:01
Raybnz's pub sounds like the 'New Court'

Derek

Hague
23rd May 2007, 08:29
There used to be a pub situated almost opposite the Shipping Federation on Mann Island. Situated in a small run of building just after the Flying Angel. Can anyone remember it's name.

jaigee
23rd May 2007, 10:59
Don't forget the Globe and the Carnarvon Castle in the city centre. Together with the then numerous Wine Lodges, they were always part of the "Lamport" crawl in the late fifties/early sixties. I was in both of them yesterday on one of my frequent Liverpool "pilgrimages", still very much as they were, although I've read that the Carnarvon is having it's tiled frontage replaced by sliding/folding doors to create an outside area for smoking.

rothesian
23rd May 2007, 11:03
There used to be a pub situated almost opposite the Shipping Federation on Mann Island. Situated in a small run of building just after the Flying Angel. Can anyone remember it's name.

Custom House, canning place??

Hague
23rd May 2007, 11:12
Custom House, canning place??

Thanks Alistair!

Hague
23rd May 2007, 21:26
I need help on this one. There was a pub along by the 'Seven Steps' known as the 'The Devils'. Frequented by the HMs local 'rummage crew' in addition to the usual Moss Hutchinson etc, etc. What was its real name?. May have been some religious connotation as there was the 'Bishops' nearby. As I'm writing it could have been 'The Angel'. Not sure.

eldersuk
24th May 2007, 01:01
"The Devils" was the Coburg Hotel opposite Coburg Dock - no idea why it was so called.

Derek

Lookout
24th May 2007, 01:18
I remember two Liverpool pubs with particular nostalgia. The Langton Castle on the corner of Regent Road and Nelson Street is closed but still standing. I seem to recall that it was near Gladstone Dock, but that could be my memory playing tricks. It was a handsome building in its heyday.
http://www.liverpoolviews.co.uk/pierhead/ndock/langton.html

The other pub was the Bootle Arms. It was still there in 1964, but I can't find a trace of its existence on t'web. I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned it; am I the only member who's old enough to remember it? Perhaps I was so pissed that I just imagined it!

Hague
24th May 2007, 08:02
Murda,
The 'Langton Castle' was indeed a handsome pub with a 'bronze shade' of exterior tiling. The 'pint' was nothing special. The 'Bootle Arms' is remembered but not for any real significance other than that it 'sailing day'.

Dick S
24th May 2007, 21:59
All

Right, who remembers the SHE club, No 42, Captains Cabin and was it the Pen and Wig Just down the Road. Along the Docks my favoorite was the A1 at Lloyds, before it was redesigned. And to all those who did their Masters and Mates etc at Byron Street Poly the Bar there and the struggle to get back for PM lectures. There were 2 barmaids and if I remember rightly a guy taking mates, called John Parrish,I think, brought 1 of them a Jack Russel puppy for her Birthday! Oh follies of youth how I enjoyed 'em!

Dick

metallicgreen
24th May 2007, 23:46
How about 'The Boathouse' opposite N1 Husky and Tom Hall's Tavern at the PierHead opposite Cunard Buildings (Custom House). There was also a pub where you went downstairs to, with a ticker-tape machine at the entrance....think it was The Oriel if my rusty brain cell is right.

eldersuk
24th May 2007, 23:52
Anyone remember the Gaslight Club in Cumberland Street opposite the Poste House? Bert Whalley was mine host and there was probably as much business done in there as in the shipping offices.

Derek

metallicgreen
24th May 2007, 23:57
Hague, Eldersuk is correct. It was The Coburg and a pub we did frequent sometimes. There was also another which was one street further back that had very odd closing times so we would go there if the Coburg closed on time !!!

Larry Dev
28th May 2007, 23:05
Rothesian.
The pub opposite the shipping Federation was" The Red Lion", next one along towards Canning Place was "The Trawler Inn". In Canning Place was "The Flying Dutchman", "The Ymuiden"," The Custom House", two clubs in Canning Place, "City Members Club" and "The Neptune". Just off Canning Place in Sth Castle St was "The Belvidere" reputed to have the best draught Guiness in Liverpool also "The Dukes Crown" around the corner from Canning Place towards the Sth docks. In "The Dukes Crown" the Guiness tokens given to the Guiness employees on the Guiness boats for their free Guiness was accepted. Fervent draught Guiness drinkers travelled long distances to drink in the above two pubs.
Larry

rothesian
28th May 2007, 23:11
thanks Larry
some photos of S Dock pubs on http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverpool/pubs/images/brook%2520house.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.toxteth.net/places/liverpool/pubs/brook%2520house.htm&h=336&w=565&sz=33&hl=en&start=33&sig2=lSH38NGDa87Va9uSNWOOrQ&tbnid=pxCI4IhNeIrcNM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=134&ei=UTZYRtjaNZOK0gSTrM3UBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522liverpool%2Bpubs%2522%26start%3D 20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DN

Ventry
2nd June 2007, 00:50
Used to enjoy a drink in the 'The Roscoe Arms' located at the top of Renshaw Street. There was one on the Dock Road just before Millers Bridge and on the corner of Blackstone Street. I think it was the Foresters Arms but then, that may have been the barmaid. Forty odd years ago.

Derek Roger
2nd June 2007, 02:42
The Slaughter House in the 60's was sawdust on the floor and No women allowed - opposite was the Corn Exchange popular with Moss Hutchison's at lunch time

The slaughter house was I recollect a popular meeting place for Brocklebank lads on leave ?
Derek

Chouan
29th June 2007, 13:24
The Slaughter House used to have ledgers under a glass case featuring slave records. I doubt if they had auctions of actual slaves there, as slavery was in Britain itself was very rare.
We had a stupendous night out there in about '78? from Riversdale, featuring a PSNC Cadet who played the bagpipes superbly. The landlord turned off the jukebox and used us as house entertainment. I'll remember the lad's name in a moment, bear with me .....

Larry Dev
27th July 2007, 18:49
Has anyone mentioned The A1 at LLoyds, Mabels, The Sandhills, The Dominion and The Bootle arms. I cant recall the proper name for Mabels, or many other pubs in the Nth dock Rd perhaps a memory jolt would help me.

eldersuk
27th July 2007, 23:52
OK all you Liverpool experts. If you start at the pierhead and walk north up the dock road, what is the first pub you come to on the left hand side?

Derek

jaigee
28th July 2007, 12:48
OK all you Liverpool experts. If you start at the pierhead and walk north up the dock road, what is the first pub you come to on the left hand side?

Derek

'The Seaforth Castle' on Seaforth Road?

tell
29th July 2007, 00:51
was it the old fort

tell
29th July 2007, 00:54
er sorry the old fort was on the right hand side, the dock wall was on the left

tell
29th July 2007, 01:00
some more that come to mind; the Langton Castle;the Atlantic;Broken nosed Jacks(boathouse);the Bramley Moore;The Sandon Lion(mabels)hows that to go on with?

tell
29th July 2007, 01:02
not forgetting The Caradoc at Gladston

eldersuk
30th July 2007, 01:25
All the ones mentioned are on the RIGHT hand side of the road.
Keep on walking.

Derek

tell
3rd August 2007, 02:54
surely it must be past the Gladstone dock towards Waterloo ?

tell
3rd August 2007, 02:55
not the Winifred ?

jaigee
3rd August 2007, 10:09
All the ones mentioned are on the RIGHT hand side of the road.
Keep on walking.

Derek

The Seaforth Castle isn't?

eldersuk
3rd August 2007, 23:35
The weekend's coming up and it's time to give in.
The first pub on your left is the LIVER INN, Crosby!

No prizes for anyone.

Derek

Bill Davies
14th September 2007, 22:59
The weekend's coming up and it's time to give in.
The first pub on your left is the LIVER INN, Crosby!

No prizes for anyone.

Derek

A pub I've passed hundreds of times but never been in. Not exactly Liverpool but close enough . The Bee and The Stump on the Wallasey side of the Dock Road. Many a man on standby ended up in these pubs due to their close proximity to the locks. And the Dolphin (Cathcart Street). Almost fifty years since I have been in above.

Bill Davies
15th September 2007, 08:30
Seem to remember a pub called Tom Halls on Mann Island. It was on a central reservation more or less beneath the overhead railway. Dark green ceraminic tiles on the outside. Supposedly the best pint of Guinness in Liverpool. This maybe because it was within stones throw of where the 'Lady Gwendolyn' discharged

Peter (Pat) Baker
15th September 2007, 12:06
Bill Davies mentioned the Stump in Wallasey, this was actually the Blazing Stump ( a nickname) the actual name was something more prosaic like the Queens Arms or some such name.
After I left the sea I had a pub, the Lord Exmouth, in Birkenhead.
At this time the landlord of the Blazing Stump was an ex Chief Steward (Stan something) and I used to relieve him when he went on holiday.
It was a great pub, always busy what with dockers, merchant seamen and locals because of the betting shop close by.
Had some great times there, especially after hours in the afternoons.
Peter (Pat) Baker.

zealandic
28th September 2007, 09:56
Has anyone mentioned The A1 at LLoyds, Mabels, The Sandhills, The Dominion and The Bootle arms. I cant recall the proper name for Mabels, or many other pubs in the Nth dock Rd perhaps a memory jolt would help me.

i remember the dominion..and sandhills ..what about the "norseman" a seedy club in between those 2 as i recall z

metallicgreen
30th September 2007, 14:54
How about the Clubship Landfall ? It was inside the dock estate northbound after Stanley Dock roadbridge.

jaigee
30th September 2007, 16:32
How about the Clubship Landfall ? It was inside the dock estate northbound after Stanley Dock roadbridge.

I always remember her moored at Canning Dock, adjacent to the dock road.

Thre is an interesting article on her here: http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/landfalldays.htm

Bill Davies
30th September 2007, 17:03
The Elm House and the Winifried along by Gladstone.

MICHAEL LEWIS WILLIAMS
5th February 2008, 22:36
Apparently,there's a pub in Birkenhead affectionately know as the "Adolf"'cos the picture is of John Masefield(Poet Laureate)who looks just like Adolf Hitler.

R831814
5th February 2008, 23:15
Perhaps this will jog a few memories. (==D)
http://www.merseypub.com/guide/pu0.htm

Burned Toast
19th February 2008, 10:52
Feel hungover already(A) with all them nice memories(Thumb)

bisonphil
20th February 2008, 23:06
What about The Eagle in Paradise Street.On 2nd cooks course at Nautical Catering College,went there most lunch times for 4 or 5 pints of lager!

Happy Days

Derek Roger
21st February 2008, 00:48
Checked the threads Didn't see the " Pen and Wig " or Casey's Fish Bar
( freehouse one could get a good pint of McEwans Export )

Tai Pan
2nd March 2008, 11:16
Ocean Club

salvina
2nd March 2008, 12:10
Paid off and signed straight back on the Salvina in Liverpool. Saturday all the Shelties were in the Dominion and Peter Sinclair the 2nd mate was plotting a course to Houston on one of the lounge tables which were formica topped with a map of the world using two fag packets as a slide rule. One of the Irish boats crowd were also in and when we went up on Sunday for a livener there was no Double Diamond or Scotch left! Happy days. (Pint) (Thumb)

sailingday
4th March 2008, 14:36
that is going back a long time, lovely place, but it was burnt down wasn't it around 1952/53

shoequeen13
21st April 2008, 03:15
All

Right, who remembers the SHE club, No 42, Captains Cabin and was it the Pen and Wig Just down the Road. Along the Docks my favoorite was the A1 at Lloyds, before it was redesigned. And to all those who did their Masters and Mates etc at Byron Street Poly the Bar there and the struggle to get back for PM lectures. There were 2 barmaids and if I remember rightly a guy taking mates, called John Parrish,I think, brought 1 of them a Jack Russel puppy for her Birthday! Oh follies of youth how I enjoyed 'em!

Dick

my nan & grandad ran the A1 in the 60's & 70's edie and victor windsor. i was only little but remember the pub full of dockers. i loved being behind the bar with the barmaids - very glam with their beehives!

R651400
27th April 2008, 07:34
Corn Market was a favourite with Blue Funnellers and I think the BF Association meetings are held there today. Used to be a pub situated on a corner between two streets nr Gladstone docks for that final bevvy before sailing.

westkings
1st July 2008, 23:23
Saw the old post re the Devils aka The Coburg .The former name for the Coburg was `The Devils away with the Exciseman `hence the shortened version,from the Robert Burns poem.I frequented this pub whilst on Mobile Rummage at Coburg .We had to climb over the wire fence to get to it or walk the long way round . We all drank `Brown Mixed `on Rummage then ,does anyone ever drink that now? It hasn`t changed much inside from the early 80`s.

jaigee
2nd July 2008, 10:27
Saw the old post re the Devils aka The Coburg .The former name for the Coburg was `The Devils away with the Exciseman `hence the shortened version,from the Robert Burns poem.I frequented this pub whilst on Mobile Rummage at Coburg .We had to climb over the wire fence to get to it or walk the long way round . We all drank `Brown Mixed `on Rummage then ,does anyone ever drink that now? It hasn`t changed much inside from the early 80`s.

Walked up to it yesterday with the intention of going in, but noticed that there were no real ale, so continued on up to the Cain's Tap.

westkings
2nd July 2008, 21:50
It never did have real ale but we always got a `staybehind `

sailingday
4th July 2008, 17:51
Pay an occasional trip down memory lane in Liverpool, try to cram as many in as possible restricting myself to a 1/2 pint usually wind up back at the Crown in Lime st,bit dissapointing, no Cunard yanks there now

John Glover
13th July 2008, 14:36
I remember the Seven steps from the good days. Late sixties early seventies.
Handy for the Moss Hutchinson lads being close to the Brunswick Dock.
I was in the Kypros and Assiout then.
I remember also a good proportion of our cargo being sold by the dockers in there.
The building still stands with the steps but it's no longer a pub, now some sort of offices i think.
Regards to all
John Glover (Smoke) (Smoke) (Smoke) (Smoke)

eldersuk
16th August 2008, 00:21
Seven steps today. Proper name was the Brunswick Hotel.

Derek

sailingday
19th August 2008, 14:54
Paid another visit to the old watering holes a couple of weeks ago, more or less the same itinary, the carnavon castle doesn't seem to have changed in 55 years, very professionally run place, dissapointed with the Phil, seems to be living on past glories. Wonderful day out so many memories come flooding back

Cutsplice
19th August 2008, 16:35
Sailing Day, yes The Caernarvon Castle has not changed just the prices and staff, was in there last week. Some of the pubs around town that were favourite drinking places for seamen, The Bears Paw, The Temple, The American Bar, Ma Egertons, only one of them remaining now.
Some clubs that were popular The Somali Club, Nigerian National Social Club, The Gladray, and several others. Note... There was nothing social about The Nigerian Club, I was only in it on two accassions in the afternoon and all hell broke loose both times. The first time a couple of ladies ? were sitting down drinking, then a couple of young coloured males strode in, a very brief argument started, then the ladies were slapped around the face, chairs and ladies fell to the floor, I/We departed rather hastily.

Pat Kennedy
19th August 2008, 19:41
Sailing Day, yes The Caernarvon Castle has not changed just the prices and staff, was in there last week. Some of the pubs around town that were favourite drinking places for seamen, The Bears Paw, The Temple, The American Bar, Ma Egertons, only one of them remaining now.
Some clubs that were popular The Somali Club, Nigerian National Social Club, The Gladray, and several others. Note... There was nothing social about The Nigerian Club, I was only in it on two accassions in the afternoon and all hell broke loose both times. The first time a couple of ladies ? were sitting down drinking, then a couple of young coloured males strode in, a very brief argument started, then the ladies were slapped around the face, chairs and ladies fell to the floor, I/We departed rather hastily.

Cutsplice,
There was also Dutch Eddie's in that neck of the woods.
Terry Kami who I was with in the Ivernia, and who was coloured, took me in there a couple of times.I didnt feel welcome.
Pat

Bill Davies
19th August 2008, 19:51
Pat,
'Dutch Eddies'!!!! Ambrose would turn in his grave.

Brgds

Bill

Pat Kennedy
19th August 2008, 20:01
Pat,
'Dutch Eddies'!!!! Ambrose would turn in his grave.

Brgds

Bill

That would not upset me unduly Bill.
Pat

Cutsplice
19th August 2008, 22:49
Pat, I can imagine that you did not feel welcome in "Dutch Eddys" I made a single visit there and had the same experience. I used to frequent the "Starline Club" on the corner of Upper Warwick St and Windsor St also The Gauntlet Club in Sth Castle St found them both pretty good. Had great success in both of them, more a matter of luck most times, but then I was young, handsome and tanned, why am I surprised lol.

jaigee
20th August 2008, 10:20
Paid another visit to the old watering holes a couple of weeks ago, more or less the same itinary, the carnavon castle doesn't seem to have changed in 55 years, very professionally run place, dissapointed with the Phil, seems to be living on past glories. Wonderful day out so many memories come flooding back

I regularly make trips back the 'pool and the pubs. The Carnarvon Castle has just had part of the front knocked out and sliding/folding doors fitted, but still thankfully retains it atmosphere.

My favourite is the Globe on Case's Street (opposite Central Station). Small, friendly and full of characters at any time of the day, plus a selection of Real Ales to boot!

jmcg
20th August 2008, 17:38
Pat

There was one place name that escapes my memory - perhaps you can recall. It was very close to Hamilton Square Station - opened at about 0500 hours for a superb breakfast. If you were "known" one could get a 'livener' or 'curer' following the night before.

Seem to recall it was an Italian sounding name like.....ini . Much frequented by the China boys.

It was on the main road but then formed away around a side street.

BW

J.

KEITH SEVILLE
20th August 2008, 19:24
Another favourite pub with the shipping industry was Ma Boyles in Old Hall Street,Liverpool where you could get a pint of draught guiness and they made
the most delicious ham sandwiches with mustard.

Keith

Bill Davies
20th August 2008, 20:03
Another favourite pub with the shipping industry was Ma Boyles in Old Hall Street,Liverpool where you could get a pint of draught guiness and they made
the most delicious ham sandwiches with mustard.

Keith

Keith,
I used to frequent Ma Boyles in the early 60s. I seem to remeber it occupied an old Methodist chapel on the corner of Old Hall Street.

Bill

Santos
20th August 2008, 20:20
Pat

There was one place name that escapes my memory - perhaps you can recall. It was very close to Hamilton Square Station - opened at about 0500 hours for a superb breakfast. If you were "known" one could get a 'livener' or 'curer' following the night before.

Seem to recall it was an Italian sounding name like.....ini . Much frequented by the China boys.

BW

J.

JMCG

That was Oliveri's a great eating house, only closed a couple of years back.

Chris.

alasdair macdonald
20th August 2008, 20:23
I remember the"CARADOCK" "BOOTLE ARMS" THE NELSON

TonyAllen
20th August 2008, 20:40
No need to to say any more; you lot have seemed to have drunk in them all.My dad was born in Jamaica st me just off London rd, dad showed us all the pubs in town when my brothers and I were old enough to drink trouble is I cant remember all the names Tony Allen

Pat Kennedy
20th August 2008, 20:57
Pat

BW

J.

Well Santos got there before me, it was Olivieri's, and as you say was popular with Blue Funnel lads.you may be interested to know that the pub across the road from there, the Woodside Hotel, was on fire last week, and is now completely gutted. Another Birkenhead pub you may recall is the Stork in Price St, just around the corner from the shipping office where we all paid off. It is still open, and still has that famous "yard of ale".
Regards,
Pat

sailingday
20th August 2008, 21:09
Forgotten one of the real gems, the spanish bar, it was a bit rough, but I'd love to go back, if only it were still standing.

Bill Davies
20th August 2008, 21:11
Well remembered for its Mince, Chips Peas following a lunchtime session.

Bill Davies
20th August 2008, 21:14
The Dolphin on the Dock Road (Cathcart Street). Does it still exist?

Pat Kennedy
20th August 2008, 21:20
The Dolphin on the Dock Road (Cathcart Street). Does it still exist?

The building is still there Bill, but it has been boarded up for many years.
There are no pubs on the Dock Rd still open, right from Bidston to the four bridges, except for the Dock Hotel at the town end of Corporation Rd.
On the Wallasey side, there was only ever the Stump, and thats been closed for years.
Pat

jmcg
20th August 2008, 21:56
Santos and Pat

Great stuff. Memory is now flushed. Great days. You could walk the streets with pride and security in those days. The only one likely to trouble you would be the bum who claimed that he was "hard up without a ship" and who was no more than a professional beggar.

Now- just remembered a number of these "bums" operated round the Pier Head Mann Island (for The Pool). The pub was colloqually known as "The Tappers Arms" Would that be The Mona? Can remember the pub for one very good reason - I always smacked my head going in because the roof ceiling was low and I was 6.5 or 6.6. Never seemed to bother me comiing out after a few Jamesons or Juras though.

Surprised (Oliverri's ) lasted that long. Yes I remember the Woodside and the Shipping Office - the two complimented each other!!

BW

J.

d.mccarthy
20th August 2008, 23:40
does no one remember the mona just of pier head, stright out of the pool a few beers then sign on, or the american bar just of lime street,or the viking night club on commercial road ,i left my heart in liverpool

bisonphil
21st August 2008, 00:39
Had many a session in the Mona,it was near enough opposite Kingston House in James Street,spent 3 months staying there while on 2nd cooks course at Nautical Catering College in 1974 so were regulars in the Mona for that time.
Is it still open?

Regards Phil

JohnBP
21st August 2008, 01:02
I agree with all U guys however if you were in the Port sunlight side the action in New Brighton side was "Fab" as they said then....

JohnBP

Bill Davies
21st August 2008, 08:38
Cannot follow the Port Sunlight/NewBrighton connection. The only clubs I can recall in New Brighton was 'The Kraal' and 'The Creep' both fairly respectable.

jmcg
21st August 2008, 09:50
Bill

Thats why we frequented them.

Clearly women of character and substance- they could tell you to f...k off with great eloquence and in a beautiful accent.

Bw

J.

Pat Kennedy
21st August 2008, 10:09
Cannot follow the Port Sunlight/NewBrighton connection. The only clubs I can recall in New Brighton was 'The Kraal' and 'The Creep' both fairly respectable.

Bill,
There was also the Crackers Club in New Brighton, near the Tower grounds, and it was much more down market. I never went near it of course.
Pat

Brian Locking
21st August 2008, 10:24
There was also one in New Brighton called the 'The Witches Cauldron' close by the Albion, Clarence and Hotel Vic. Some good bands like 'The Undertakers etc,etc

atb
Brian

jmcg
21st August 2008, 10:32
Pat

Can you recall the name of the pub/club downby the waterside in Bromborough. I recall a pub on the left before one could go no further (The Mersey)- but there was also a club down there.

On the one occasion I was in there (whilst standing by Bamenda Palm for voyage) the "joint" flooded from torrential rainfall. The place filled up to about 3 feet of muddy filth water in a matter of minutes - all coming from Bromborough.

We had to get out. I hoisted my new "lady" on my back (piggy back style)and gallantly set about rescuing her from the raging torrents of filth and slime.

She had her hair done up like Dusty Springfield (Honeycombe I think she called it) and you can imagine me with this fine creature with her legs wrapped round my middle , one hand round my neck and the other hand holding her umberella to keep her hair dry.

It was a long haul up that hill/road with her on my back. Just like Commando training. My mind told me it will be all worth it - and so with lustful anticipation I soldiered on up that hill with her on my back. We finally got to her place where she bid me a fond thank you and good night.

Some you win - some you dont!

Now, what was the name of that place?

BW

J.

Brian Locking
21st August 2008, 11:06
The position or the pub?

Pat Kennedy
21st August 2008, 11:48
Pat

Can you recall the name of the pub/club downby the waterside in Bromborough. I recall a pub on the left before one could go no further (The Mersey)- but there was also a club down there.

On the one occasion I was in there (whilst standing by Bamenda Palm for voyage) the "joint" flooded from torrential rainfall. The place filled up to about 3 feet of muddy filth water in a matter of minutes - all coming from Bromborough.

We had to get out. I hoisted my new "lady" on my back (piggy back style)and gallantly set about rescuing her from the raging torrents of filth and slime.

She had her hair done up like Dusty Springfield (Honeycombe I think she called it) and you can imagine me with this fine creature with her legs wrapped round my middle , one hand round my neck and the other hand holding her umberella to keep her hair dry.

It was a long haul up that hill/road with her on my back. Just like Commando training. My mind told me it will be all worth it - and so with lustful anticipation I soldiered on up that hill with her on my back. We finally got to her place where she bid me a fond thank you and good night.

Some you win - some you dont!

Now, what was the name of that place?

BW

J.

Sorry John,
I cant recall it either, but you got a raw deal there.
Pat

Pat Kennedy
21st August 2008, 11:52
There was also one in New Brighton called the 'The Witches Cauldron' close by the Albion, Clarence and Hotel Vic. Some good bands like 'The Undertakers etc,etc

atb
Brian

Yes Brian, I used to go there as well, one of mates at the time was in the "Undertakers", but sadly, his name has disappeared into the mist, Chris something or other.
Hotel Vic has gone,as you prabably know, but I was in the Clarence in April, and had a decent meal there.
Pat

trotterdotpom
21st August 2008, 11:53
JMCG, that would have been a "beehive" hair-do and a fireman's lift may have been more productive! Well, done for being a gentleman though.

John T

jmcg
21st August 2008, 12:23
Trotterdotpom

Oh yes -the beehive. She had a net over it too if I can recall - hence my mistake of calling it a Honeycombe

I can assure you "being a gentleman" was not the most important thing on my mind that night.

Must get back to work now.

Great entertainment from this site.

BW

J.

Brian Locking
21st August 2008, 12:29
Yes Brian, I used to go there as well, one of mates at the time was in the "Undertakers", but sadly, his name has disappeared into the mist, Chris something or other.
Hotel Vic has gone,as you prabably know, but I was in the Clarence in April, and had a decent meal there.
Pat

Pat,
Chris Huston (Lead Guitar). The main man seemed to be the saxophonists (Brian Jones ) and he still plays the Wallasey circuit

ATB

Brian

Brian Locking
21st August 2008, 14:28
Off Dale street there used to be one known as 'Walters' next door to 'Ye Hole in the Wall'. Masters/Chengs and Management!

atb

Brian

Cutsplice
21st August 2008, 15:56
In respect to a disappointing finale to an expected night of passion, this one will take some beating. I was advised by a worldy wise mariner when I was about 18yr old, " forget about French Letters, buy these, they are tablets that disolve in the vagina, they block the s...m by forming a foam barrier, they are called Gynamin". One evening I visited a late opening chemist shop outside Lime St Stn, paid 3s 9d, I considered it a bargain as it contained 10 tablets. They were in a container similar to Alka Selzer and looked very similar.
I think it was the next night armed wit these Tablets I made an aquaintence with a young lady. At the nights end all was in order, got to her abode in a block of tennements off Scotland Rd, all was going to plan about 3.30am. The time was right to put these to use, inserted one and it would not disolve, so I removed it and rolled around my mouth a few times, then quickly re-inserted it. Immediate success followed with this starting to foam, I am in business I thought, then she complained that it was causing her to feel a burning sensation in her v....a, the whole operation was cancelled with her dashing to the bathroom.
I decided to up anchor and go home, went into Scotland Rd in the rain, no taxi to be seen anywhere, started to walk towards town. Got soaked and with this prior diasppointment took out the container with the remaining tablets and flung them down the centre of the road. Never have I seen these tablets since or even heard of them either, it would be interesting if anyone has had a similar experience with them.
Having now told this factual account, I certainly cannot indentify myself other than by my alias here.

Brian Locking
21st August 2008, 16:10
Following above post #128 the thread is aptly named!

Pat Kennedy
21st August 2008, 19:33
Following above post #128 the thread is aptly named!

Indeed it is Brian, it made my eyes water just reading about it! I have heard of these foaming spermicides, and I definitely would not put one in my mouth.

ref Chris Huston of the Undertakers. You are absolutely right, that was him, a tall chap with very fair hair, lived off Poulton Rd. actually Chris was a very reserved and shy sort of bloke, not at all your usual rock musician.
Regards,
Pat

Santos
21st August 2008, 20:38
Pat,
Chris Huston (Lead Guitar). The main man seemed to be the saxophonists (Brian Jones ) and he still plays the Wallasey circuit

ATB

Brian

Is Bugs Pemberton the drummer still about, I knew him he went to the Wallasey Technical School or what is now Mosslands School.

Chris.

jmcg
22nd August 2008, 12:28
Cutsplice

The "use by date and time" might have expired. 0330 hours was a bit late. Dr. Ross had a better version.

BW

J.

Cutsplice
22nd August 2008, 12:44
Pat, I would not put one in my mouth now , but you have to admit I did know where it had been. I do have a chuckle now and again about it, can,t believe that I did it, but youth and daring were on my side then.
J, I never knew about buy and use before dates then, I am much wiser now but sadly much older also.
I remain as Cutsplice.

Ron Hamilton
24th August 2008, 15:33
:rolleyes: I thought the topic was pubs ! Strange how the foc's'le conversation always reverts to normal (H) LOL .Ron

degsy
2nd October 2008, 02:29

I think it was called The Red Lion. I used to go in there with a mate of mine when we where going to the Cavern. Jump off the Number 1 bus at Mann Island a bevy in the Red Lion then a walk up to Matthew Street. I was just going on 16 at the time . It was usually a friday night, the weekly treat as we got paid thursday. Happy days one night a week I was a Lords Bastard. Ten fags in me pocket, couple a pints of bitter under me belt, hoping to God that if I bagged off with some young lady she came from the South end. Good alehouse, never asked how old we where.(Jester)

rstimaru
2nd October 2008, 15:58
The grapes down Mathew st alos the dolphin I can never remember the pub in Canning place near the old mission Bob

sailingday
2nd October 2008, 17:15
great thread,all wonderful pubs, remember the spanish bar now that was rough, Johnnie Kings opposite Lime Street station, seemed very modern but was one of the first to go

timeout
2nd October 2008, 23:21
"The Baltic Fleet is still open dont think its been done up since the sixties".

Drove past it today, seems to be undergoing massive refurbishment both inside and out--wether or not it remains a pub is another matter.

Timeout

bryanm
3rd October 2008, 00:49
What about the Triton in Paradise street, now long gone

jaigee
3rd October 2008, 10:51
"The Baltic Fleet is still open dont think its been done up since the sixties".

Drove past it today, seems to be undergoing massive refurbishment both inside and out--wether or not it remains a pub is another matter.

Timeout

Still a pub, often call in when I'm in Liverpool. Great beer! (Thumb)

http://www.wappingbeers.co.uk/page12.html

Pat Hughes
3rd October 2008, 11:03
In the 1970s they use to serve sausage sandwiches (sausage in a small baguette) called 'Sausage Nudger'

Fieldsy
4th December 2008, 12:48
A few have mentioned the Dominion. Being by Canada Dock, it was the local for Harrison Line personnel working-by on ships. The next pub up, past the Norseman, was the Griffin.

If any juniors staying on board turned-to in the morning with a black eye, we always knew they'd found their way into the Norseman!

When overseas, if there were any bars within walking distance of the ship, the first one was always referred to as the Dominion, and the second one the Griffin.

Alan Malpas
4th December 2008, 13:42
East Sandon Dock - Palm Line pubs on the dock road,
Boathouse,Atlantic Hotel,and Bramley Moor.
Would occasionally venture into town if sober enough.

Captain America
4th December 2008, 18:44
Ahh, sawdust floors,Slaughter House, The Swan, Ye Olde Crack. Quality pubs all. Then there was the Cross Keys, Corn Exchange, The Vines for a more up market night out. The Roscoe (Head) for the strippers on a Friday afternoon (and a lock in, trouble was they wouldn't let you out until they re-opened at 5) always a much better show than the Hofbrauhaus and the girls were much nicer. Then there was the Lisbon, but we won't go there. (==D)

i.cossey
4th December 2008, 21:05
I didn't make many trips to the 'Pool but when I did I frequented the hole in the wall, as I remember it had a market licence open all day but shut early. Men only , the only female was the barmaid, a Dusty Sringfield look a like who as I remember played for the same team as Dusty. Can anybody remember a theatre resturant in town I recall going there but not where or its name.

Cutsplice
5th December 2008, 00:20
Yes I remember a theatre restaurant in Liverpool, for the life of me right now I can,t remember which. Must have been The Playhouse in Williamson Sq, I am sure it must have been that one. Spanish House, Roebuck, Magic Clock and The Stork Hotel would have been in close proximity.

Cutsplice
5th December 2008, 00:24
The blonde barmaid in the Hole in the Wall that was referred to, was that in the early to mid sixties, if so I knew her reasonably well.

KEITH SEVILLE
7th December 2008, 18:49
Back in the seventies I used to drink in Berni Inns (Basement), Exchange Street East in Sefton House. the steak bar ran from the right hand side as you walked in.
There was a blonde barmaid in there called Pat,from Claughton,Birkenhead,she was a smasher, wished I'd got her phone number!!

Regards
Keith

sandystrone
7th December 2008, 19:35
In the 60's at Riversdale, used to frequent the Aigburth Arms.
When I had the cash , mixed with the Palm Line boys in the "LEGS OF MAN" just around from Lime St Station, or the AMERICAN bAr, and when I was short of cash it would be Atlantic House .
Happy days

Derek Roger
7th December 2008, 22:48
The Aiggie was well known to Riversdale lads as was Atlanic House ( during the week ) if we had cash for the bus fare .

On Friday nights after we picked up our pay at the Liver Buildings we would go Casey"s Fish Bar ( Free house that sold Mc Ewans draught ) Have one pint then up Hardman Street and stop off at the Yates Wine lodge for a 1/2 pint of terrible wine for 6 pence then to the White House which was on the corner of Hardman and Leece Street ( where Atlantic House was situated )

The The White House ( or was it the Round house ? ) had a really good group playing ( Mostly Beatles ) and a good night coud be had for the price of a couple of pints .

Money depleted we often walked back to Aigburth through Sefton Park ( not the safest place to be at night ; but we didn't know any better )

The night out including a pack of cigs and sometimes a chinese meal was around 10 shillings .

Oh Happy Days Derek

Macphail
7th December 2008, 23:16
Nineteensixtys..

The Carradock at Gladstone was very good for a pint of Brown Mix and a meat pie with HP sauce. Dutch Eddys up town, mobile dandruff.

All the best,

John

Cutsplice
8th December 2008, 00:01
Hellfire John, Dutch Eddies now that was really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I wonder if the next port of call was to see a certain Dr who had a base in Cleveland Sq not far from The Sailors Home in Canning Place.

Pat Kennedy
8th December 2008, 10:02
Hellfire John, Dutch Eddies now that was really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I wonder if the next port of call was to see a certain Dr who had a base in Cleveland Sq not far from The Sailors Home in Canning Place.

That Wouldnt be Dr Ross would it?
And all the girls who worked in the bag factory acroos the road yelling sarcastic comments at the poor unfortunates slinking in to see the good doctor.
Pat

Bill Davies
8th December 2008, 10:08
Pat,

An 'Our Father' and two 'Hail Mary's ' for you.

Brgds

Bill

Pat Kennedy
8th December 2008, 12:06
Pat,

An 'Our Father' and two 'Hail Mary's ' for you.

Brgds

Bill

Bill,
I was lucky I guess. I never had occasion to visit Doctor Ross, but did accompany one or two shipmates for treatment, and experienced first hand the caustic remarks of those harpies in the 'Baggie'.
Pat

Cutsplice
8th December 2008, 13:41
Thats what you are telling us Pat, just in case to be on the safe side of things, I will add a decade of the rosary to your penance. Better be safe than sorry.

Pat Kennedy
8th December 2008, 19:24
Thats what you are telling us Pat, just in case to be on the safe side of things, I will add a decade of the rosary to your penance. Better be safe than sorry.

It was definitely due to good luck rather than good judgement, but I managed to keep a clean sheet while all around me were succumbing to various STDs' One poor chap on the Anchises had FOUR different types of std at the same time. When we paid off in Liverpool, he couldnt go home to his wife in North Wales until the clinic gave him the all clear, so he sent her a telegram saying he had to go round the land in the ship.
I often wonder how he eventually fared when he did arrive home. I think more than a few Hail Mary's would be required to wipe his slate clean.
Pat

John.H.Clark
8th December 2008, 20:04
this is a brilliant tread only spoilt by the fact I can't remember any pub names when I spent weeks in the city 1959-61, was I so drunk I did not care? What was the pub near the tunnel which stayed open an extra half hour because it had food, sandwiches. always girls on the game who would chat us up but finding that we were poor deck cadets would simply take all our fags and leave us be. best music was in coffee bars, such as Jakeranda.

Bill Davies
8th December 2008, 20:13
I recall a pub on the central reservation on Mann Island called Tom Halls. The exterior was green tiled. It was almost under the overhead railway. The Guinness was probably the best in the city.
Two more just came to mind on the Wallasey side and a favourite of the China men was the Five Bars and the PA alongside both close to Seacombe Ferry.
Never saw the attraction in the Five Bars as it was a Bents house.

Pat Kennedy
8th December 2008, 20:22
Both of those pubs are still there Bill. The Five Bars Rest as it is properly named has always been the kind of pub you have to guard your pint with both arms against scavengers.
The PA is pretty much the same.
Neither pub is recommended for a pleasant night out.
Pat

Cutsplice
8th December 2008, 20:26
John H,
You have me beaten here with the pub near the tunnel open half an hour later than others. I remember many pubs selling sanwiches and pigs trotters also.
Are we speaking of a pub nr to the Dock Rd Tunnel Entrance, or the main entrance by the Old Haymarket. I am all awash here, help!

PS. Just noted the response from Pat, I think I was on the other side of the Mersey.

Bill Davies
8th December 2008, 20:29
Thanks for that Pat. The Five Bars Rest was the pub of choice for your friend Jack Cleary. Danny Proctor (Alec - Traders shipmate) used to used the Ferry.
Paddy used to drink in the Sandridge/Magazines. I was thinking of Joe Kavanagh when I mentioned Tom Halls.
Another good pint was in the Nelson, Grove Road. Davenports if I remember.

Cutsplice
8th December 2008, 20:33
Talking about pubs, I noted the Eagle that was behind The Sailors Home in Paradise St, is no longer a pub. Spotted it last Saturday from a little distance appears to be a retail outlet of some sort.

makko
8th December 2008, 20:39
Both of those pubs are still there Bill. The Five Bars Rest as it is properly named has always been the kind of pub you have to guard your pint with both arms against scavengers.
The PA is pretty much the same.
Neither pub is recommended for a pleasant night out.
Pat

Quaintly put, Pat! The 5BR is definitely off my "night out" list, forever!
Rgds.
Dave

Bill Davies
8th December 2008, 21:29
I do not recall the Five Bars being dodgy except for their Bitter. Stillfor me its 48/50 years ago and things do change.

Pat Kennedy
8th December 2008, 22:36
Thanks for that Pat. The Five Bars Rest was the pub of choice for your friend Jack Cleary. Danny Proctor (Alec - Traders shipmate) used to used the Ferry.
Paddy used to drink in the Sandridge/Magazines. I was thinking of Joe Kavanagh when I mentioned Tom Halls.
Another good pint was in the Nelson, Grove Road. Davenports if I remember.

The Nelson is my local Bill, and it is a good pint, although often infested with car salesmen and the like. I now tend to the Farmer's Arms.
Pat

Macphail
9th December 2008, 00:19
How about Kingston House, fun and the dance, then a nice meal in the Ocean in Church Street

Bill Davies
9th December 2008, 00:32
Is the Pen & Wig still going. I think it was in Harrington Street not too far from the Cavern.

Derek Roger
9th December 2008, 01:22
How about Kingston House, fun and the dance, then a nice meal in the Ocean in Church Street

Kingston House was a great place for us young lads . I was there the day Kennedy was killed ; a very somber moment .

Very well run place and a good dance with the local girls . Derek

Derek Roger
9th December 2008, 01:24
Is the Pen & Wig still going. I think it was in Harrington Street not too far from the Cavern.

Pen and Wig was also a favorite with the crew from Riversdale Tech . and the Alfie Holt mob too .

Derek

Bill Davies
9th December 2008, 10:19
Pen and Wig was also a favorite with the crew from Riversdale Tech . and the Alfie Holt mob too .

Derek

Yes, I seem to remember a 'rough element' on occasions.(Jester) (Jester) (Jester)

Cutsplice
9th December 2008, 16:49
Not sure about the Pen and Wig now, something tells me it was turned into a lap dancing venue a few yrs ago. I could be wrong have not beeen in it for about 20 yrs, it was more or less opposite The Why Not Bar, the Norwegian Pool was close by.

Sailagain
3rd March 2009, 19:18
Anyone out there remembering "The Norsman Club" and "The Sportsman" in Liverpool ? Lots of fun and more, never left sober.

Fieldsy
4th March 2009, 16:04
Anyone out there remembering "The Norsman Club" and "The Sportsman" in Liverpool ? Lots of fun and more, never left sober.

The Norseman that was just behind the Dominion?

deckboypeggy
4th March 2009, 18:57
Hi,to you all, the memoirs of all the pubs most seamen used, what a education we all had and did not realize it at the time.i came from a villagethe midlands to liverpool in the early 1960s.and matured from a 16 yearold to a adult in months going around the pubs [age no prob]birkenhead side.

jaigee
4th March 2009, 19:06
I still visit the remaining ones, and I'm still learning and maturing. (Jester)

Incidentally, I'm also from the Midlands, and will be making a regular pilgrimage tomorrow. (Thumb)

sidsal
4th March 2009, 20:02
You youngsters will not remember the Merseyside premier spot - New Brighton dance hall, now demolished, where, after several pints and rum chasers, all the women became ravishingly beautiful. The band was known as the "smelly crutch " band.
During a six week dockers strike we became regulars. One night six of us had a meal late on in some cafe and on leaving we noticed one chap was bent forward. Turned out he had brought out the chair from the restaurant. Whilst waiting at a crossroads for a taxi at well past midnight a couple of constables came along and we promptly all sat down on a bench with the chap with the chair at the end. He was higher up than the rest of us. We all sat, arms folded and silent in this deserted spot as the Bobbies walked slowly past. Not a word spoken. I think we left the chair there.

Pat Kennedy
4th March 2009, 21:37
Would that be the Tower Ballroom in New Brighton?
I went there regularly in my youth, a great place to tap off. sadly, it burned down like many New Brighton nitespots.
Pat

jmcg
4th March 2009, 22:41
Seem to recall a joint down by the Pier Head that was known as "The Tappers Arms". It was usually frequented by those who had VNCs and DTR in their Dischrage Books. I understand that they would "tap" you up for a loan -hence the name Tappers Arms.

Can you confirn Pat?

BW

J

Pat Kennedy
4th March 2009, 23:24
Seem to recall a joint down by the Pier Head that was known as "The Tappers Arms". It was usually frequented by those who had VNCs and DTR in their Dischrage Books. I understand that they would "tap" you up for a loan -hence the name Tappers Arms.

Can you confirn Pat?

BW

J

John
No, I dont recall that pub, although there were plenty of down and outs across the road from the pool in the Kingston House cafe, and more over the water in Oliveiris cafe by Woodside.
Regards,
Pat

Cutsplice
4th March 2009, 23:26
There were a few pubs nicknamed the Tappers Arms, where the down at the heel guys used to hang out. There were some regular bums about some had been dislodged from the Pool but they still pretended that they were about to ship out in a couple of days, so just help me out.
One guy was known as Solo Sorensen, Solo because he only ever done a trip one way and for all sorts of reasons he got himself paid off and sent home. He was of Swedish origin (I think) had many children whether he was the father I cant say. He had been thrown off the Pool for years and most did not know that, he was a professional bum.
One day I met him and he put the tap on me, I said p**s off Solo I have just given 49 point MacDonald half a sheet. Solo immediately replied 49 point is not a bum he is only a bums labourer, I had to laugh so for that I gave him half a crown, it was woth it.
I must say 49 point was not a bum really, just a silly fool, when he had money he bought every bum around all the drink they could handle. Then he would be skint until he shipped out as soon as he could.

Then there was the Untouchables who only done run jobs and round the land trips, some of them were a bit shady in regards to drinking beer that others bought them, they did not appear to have any scruples in that direction.

Where are they all now, most if not all have crossed the bar.

Pat Kennedy
4th March 2009, 23:40
Ref The Untouchables.
There were a gang of holdsmen on the Birkenhead docks called the Untouchables. Eight big brawny guys, never worked the welt, always put in a full day's work and as a consequence always got the cream of the jobs earning high rates of tonnage. I used to love getting them at my hatch when I was driving the cranes, Non-stop work but a fat paypacket.
They all drank in a pub on the Wallasey side of the docks called Blowers, real name I think is the Eagle, in Limekiln Lane. Bill Davies will no doubt know of it.
Regards,
Pat

John Callon
5th March 2009, 00:40
Coming from Liverpool myself I find this posting one of the best I have ever read. Reading about all these great pubs brings everything flooding back, and the mention of Doctor Ross whome I had the pleasure of meeting on one occasion, well what can one say. In the 60's Liverpool was the place to be. Remember seeing Jerry Lee Lewis on the Tower Ballroom New Brighton, supported by Billy J.Kramer and the Dakotas, Gerry and the P.Makers, The Big Three and countless more acts. For me one of the best pubs was the Bramley Moor situated outside the dock of that name. Sunday night was live Country and Western Music ( thats what they called it then). Another great pub was the Long Lobby outside the Huskisson - spent many a lunchtime there whilst working by one of the Cunarders. Does anyone remember Joan Witherspoon who used to run the Cornmarket. She used to be a Stewardess in Bibbys.
John.

makko
5th March 2009, 03:22
Ref The Untouchables.
There were a gang of holdsmen on the Birkenhead docks called the Untouchables. Eight big brawny guys, never worked the welt, always put in a full day's work and as a consequence always got the cream of the jobs earning high rates of tonnage. I used to love getting them at my hatch when I was driving the cranes, Non-stop work but a fat paypacket.
They all drank in a pub on the Wallasey side of the docks called Blowers, real name I think is the Eagle, in Limekiln Lane. Bill Davies will no doubt know of it.
Regards,
Pat

Grey memory cells failing now, Pat. Yes, the Eagle and Limekiln lane. It closed a long time ago? Maybe an excuse for a good mooch!
Rgds.
Dave

sidsal
5th March 2009, 11:04
Pat - Yes - it was the Tower Ballroom. Great place.
Can't remember the pub with the "smelly crutch" band - cello, violin and piano.
When standing by a Brocklebank ship in the Pool there was a 3rd engineer from Birkenhead and he used to favour going over the water to go pubbing.
One such night we got a few beers down and he started to bemoan his problems with his fiance who had given him the heave-ho. He blamed her parents who , he said, had poisoned her against him. He said he would show me where she lived with her parents so ridiculously we hoofed it for miles into a suburban estate. We stood outside this house which was in darkness and he got really agitated and in the end, picked up a stone and hurled it at the lounge window. The shattering of glass sent us running off like school kids.

Pat Kennedy
5th March 2009, 12:12
Pat - Yes - it was the Tower Ballroom. Great place.
Can't remember the pub with the "smelly crutch" band - cello, violin and piano.
When standing by a Brocklebank ship in the Pool there was a 3rd engineer from Birkenhead and he used to favour going over the water to go pubbing.
One such night we got a few beers down and he started to bemoan his problems with his fiance who had given him the heave-ho. He blamed her parents who , he said, had poisoned her against him. He said he would show me where she lived with her parents so ridiculously we hoofed it for miles into a suburban estate. We stood outside this house which was in darkness and he got really agitated and in the end, picked up a stone and hurled it at the lounge window. The shattering of glass sent us running off like school kids..

Sidsal,
I think the pub with the cello, violin, piano trio may have been the Hotel Victoria, a very large establishment across the way from New Brighton railway station. It has recently been demolished.
Unfortunately the bricking of windows is still a common form of retribution in Birkenhead.
Pat

makko
5th March 2009, 12:36
Pat,
As in the oft heard phrase,"I know where you live!". Translated into spanish and used here in Mexico brings many a bemused look! BTW was the Eagle the Spreadeagle? I just can't get the brain into gear on this one. It was close to Hector Prector, the scrappy......many a tale to tell there!
Rgds.
Dave

jmcg
5th March 2009, 12:43

Who/what was 49 point Mc Donald?

What was his claim to notoriety?

BW

J

neville
5th March 2009, 17:33
what about the CRown hotel , yates wine lodge, the yankee bar and the big house on the corner , across form the Adelphi. on lime street . the Crown used too be our jumping off place , massie was the lounge barmaid wife of the game chick who was a character . and went too sea with us(Cloud)

Jim Brady
5th March 2009, 20:45
The Big House was the Vines,if you remember there were big paintings 0n
the walls of steam locomotives. One day a guy came in and recognised one
of these paintings as a masterpiece and it was sold for a lot of money.
Alan Rudkin was the manager there at one time.

Pat Kennedy
5th March 2009, 21:02
Pat,
As in the oft heard phrase,"I know where you live!". Translated into spanish and used here in Mexico brings many a bemused look! BTW was the Eagle the Spreadeagle? I just can't get the brain into gear on this one. It was close to Hector Prector, the scrappy......many a tale to tell there!
Rgds.
Dave.

Dave,
I drove past the pub in question tonight on my way home from work. It is the Eagle Arms and it was closed, but looked to be still in business, if you know what I mean.
I think the scrapyard you are referring to was Hector Jackson's in Wheatland Lane near the 4 bridges. Latterly, (for at least twenty years) run by Hector's daughter, a strict lady, and an honest dealer in scrap metal, she ran the cleanest and neatest scrapyard I have ever seen. Many a load of copper and brass I have weighed in with her over the years. That scrapyard faces the notorious Catons, a pub mentioned earlier in this thread.
While we are on the subject of Mexican Spanish, I heard a phrase, 'pinche migra' on a TV show, and cant find a translation, Can you help?

Regards,
Pat

Santos
5th March 2009, 21:07

Sidsal,
I think the pub with the cello, violin, piano trio may have been the Hotel Victoria, a very large establishment across the way from New Brighton railway station. It has recently been demolished.
Unfortunately the bricking of windows is still a common form of retribution in Birkenhead.
Pat

Pat,

I am almost sure it was the Grand Hotel on the promenade -( now since demolished after a fire, what a surprise but it is New Brighton we are talking about ) it had a lounge that you went downstairs to and they had a trio like that mentioned at weekends and a pianist most evenings. It had some fancy name like the Continental Lounge or some other exotic name. Prices were twice what it was in the other bars.

Chris.

Pat Kennedy
5th March 2009, 21:21
Pat,

I am almost sure it was the Grand Hotel on the promenade -( now since demolished after a fire, what a surprise but it is New Brighton we are talking about ) it had a lounge that you went downstairs to and they had a trio like that mentioned at weekends and a pianist most evenings. It had some fancy name like the Continental Lounge or some other exotic name. Prices were twice what it was in the other bars.

Chris.

Chris, You are very probably correct, the Grand Hotel was one I never entered
having heard in my youth about the exorbitant prices. Wasnt there a Berni Inn next door?
Pat

Santos
5th March 2009, 21:23
Yes Pat - that was the Queens. Been done up recently but never appears very busy.

Chris

Fieldsy
5th March 2009, 22:48
Yes Pat - that was the Queens. Been done up recently but never appears very busy.

Chris

Chris,
Is there nowhere you don't show up?

The Continental Louge may have been expensive, but I've just been stung in a hotel bar for a few beers and a burger - £46.00.
Kevin

Welsh Dragon
5th March 2009, 23:12
Met the Wife in a Liverpool watering hole (Bit more up to date) The She Club. We were on a regular run from S America to UK and used to Target the She Club as it always had lots of Nurses and Office Girls. My own fault i Know.
Next thing i Know i'm Married and no more She club (Frogger)

sidsal
5th March 2009, 23:19
Great to hear your pinpointing the "smelly crutch" band in New Brighton.
Someone mentioned the Adlephi in Liverpoool - very posh in my day - ww2 and the years after. In 1952 I left the sea and got a job a in Meyers timber yard in Widnes. Now Harold Wilson was "economic adviser" to Meyers having been in Oxford with John Meyer. He had resigned as Pres of the Board of Trade but was still MP for Huyton. He was the first MP to spout about business men having cars on the firm and brought in taxation on benefits in kind.
As with all politicians it was a case of "do as I say, not do as I do". He would ring Meyer's office in Manchester and tell them he was coming to his constituency for the weekend and would require a car. The Liverpool rep would be told to leave his car at Lime Street station on Friday evening and Wilson would collect it, use it all weekend and leave it in the Adlephi underground carpark with an empty tank and he didn't even pay the parking fee which was an exhorbitant 2/6p in those days.
MPs were greedy sods even then !

jmcg
5th March 2009, 23:33
Wasn't there a "posh" one called the Hookey Wollow. Some broad suggested I meet her there one evening (morning). She was supposedly posh as she told me it was "on the way to Crosby". Seemed more like Bootle to me then. Neveretheless I ventured onwards and inwards.

Now that was an experience. We frolicked and skipped like adolescents, full of energy until the wee hours.

Great days.

BW

J.

Pat Kennedy
5th March 2009, 23:52
Wasn't there a "posh" one called the Hookey Wollow. Some broad suggested I meet her there one evening (morning). She was supposedly posh as she told me it was "on the way to Crosby". Seemed more like Bootle to me then. Neveretheless I ventured onwards and inwards.

Now that was an experience. We frolicked and skipped like adolescents, full of energy until the wee hours.

Great days.

BW

J.

John,
I had completely forgotten the Wookey Hollow in Belmont Rd, a great place, good acts, and 'chicken in a basket'
Pat

Cutsplice
6th March 2009, 00:26
Pat, I thought you might have been more happier with a 'chicken in the bed' rather than a 'chicken in the basket'.
How come McDonald was known as 49 point ? . I never knew why he was known as that, at the time I was in my youth and never really enquired how he got that nickname, oh the carefree days of youth, I have over the years since, thought about it and regretted never enquiring why he was so called.

jmcg
6th March 2009, 00:42
Cutsplice

Thank you for your comment on 49 point Mc Donald. I'm sure some S/N member can help us out here.

Pat

Wookey Hollow. Or Hookey Wollow? Never mind the title. Remember the "craick".

Standing by Scholar awaiting sailing another one took me to the Coconut Grove. Just blew me away!

BW

J

Pat Kennedy
6th March 2009, 09:12
I remember the Cocoanut Grove well, on a corner of West Derby Rd in Tuebrook, quite a classy place and just round the corner from my wife's parents, so we had handy babysitters while we had a night out there.
There was another club called Allisons? I think it was in Litherland, and then there was the Latin Quarter and the Cabin Club.
Over in New Brighton there is a well known club in Magazine Lane, The Tavern, known to all the local girls as 'the sausage factory' I wonder why?
Pat

jmcg
6th March 2009, 10:19
On my reflection and your assertions it seems that I frequented some "posh" places in my day.

Yes the girls were classy! Slightly more expensive to entertain too. Just a little more "quantitave easing" required.

BW

J

Pat Kennedy
6th March 2009, 10:42
Quantative Easing John. According to the financial experts, this means, 'print more money'.
Is this the secret of your success? Did you own a Letraset kit?
Pat

jmcg
6th March 2009, 11:30
No! Just some £20 notes from a footballer's printing press in Wrexham.

BW

J

Cutsplice
6th March 2009, 17:42
The Wookey Hollow, this was owned by Terry Phillips and his brother Tony, Terry was a bodybuilder and won the Mr Universe title couple of times plus other titles. The Wookey had some good acts at various times Lulu, Clodagh Rogers, Dave Allen etc. It closed because the so called up and coming artists wanted too much money and could not fill the place, Can anyone remember the coloured american guy who was there for ages, very popular, married a local girl, his name is on the tip of my tongue but cant recall his name.
I think the Coconut Grove is about to be demolished, has been closed for years, prior to it being the Coconut it was a cinema called the Carlton.
Allisons used to be the venue for Tom O' Connor every Sunday afternoon before he hit the big time.

TonyAllen
6th March 2009, 18:30
his name was lovelace watkins and all the girls thought he was the bees knees and more ?????. my wife and I worked with him at the casino club in Leigh A very nice fellow,I heard a rumour he passed away a few years back. We worked Allinsons quite a few times with Guy mitchell and kenny ball to name drop,We worked most of the clubs in Liverpool but sadly they have passed into history now.I could tell some tales about the club life in the 60s and 70s but some are still alive so I will keep stum, Tony Allen

makko
6th March 2009, 21:32
While we are on the subject of Mexican Spanish, I heard a phrase, 'pinche migra' on a TV show, and cant find a translation, Can you help?
Regards,
Pat
Thanks Pat. I have to call the Old Fella this W/E - see what he remembers about Catons!

MIgra = US Immigration and Naturalization Service. They used to man the airport checkpoints. Nowadays it is Homeland Security.

Pinche = F*cking

There you have it! Probably an Illegal alien who had been caught and was to be returned "With Prejudice"! (You don't want one of those in your passport!

Mexico spanish draws heavily on Nahuatl, one of the original languages. Similar to pinche, which is of mainland Spain origin, is one of the most flexible words in any language - Chingar, literally "to f*ck" with the original sense of "forced or raped". Depending on the intonation and use as verb, adjective, noun etc. can be literally used for anything! i.e. "Chingar a su madre!", "Este tipo es un chingon!" or, the very offensive, hijo de la chingada. This last one dates from the times of the Spanish Conquest. It suggested that a person's mother had collaborated with the Spaniards, especially in bed!

Regards, and a good weekend!
Dave

Cutsplice
6th March 2009, 22:06
Thanks for that Tony, as usual the name returned to me about 1 hr after logging off. Yes I think he has passed away I remember an article on the local TV evening news about Lovelace and it was I think an article about his death and his following he had here in Liverpool.
You are correct he was idolised by many girls, I always thought he was going to hit the bigtime, but it never really happened for him.

Pat Kennedy
6th March 2009, 22:50
Makko,
Thanks for the translation. Pinche... a useful word to know.
Pat

Fieldsy
7th March 2009, 01:05
Makko,
Thanks for the translation. Pinche... a useful word to know.
Pat

Capullos is another - if I've spelt itcorrectly

Arthur Jenner
7th March 2009, 02:53
I was on a small coastal tanker that once loaded palm oil out a Blue Funnel boat. We took it all the way to Port Sunlight. There was a nice pub outside the dock gate. Anyone know what it could have been called? (Come to think of, it may not have been a Blue Funnel boat and the oil could have been hair oil; it was so long ago)

trotterdotpom
7th March 2009, 10:21
Could have been Elder Dempsters, Arthur, think they probably did a nice line in palm oil from the West Coast and they became Blue Flue's poor cousin in Ocean Fleets.

Sorry, no idea about the pub at Port Sunlight.

John T.

Pat Kennedy
7th March 2009, 15:16
Arthur,
It could equally well have been a Blue Funnel boat. We used to load palm oil out in Malaya/Singapore/ Indonesia, and discharge it at Gladstone Dock.
Much of it went to Lever Bros plant at Port Sunlight where it is used in the making of soap and other products. (Some of us used it as sun tan oil)
As to the pub outside the dock gates, I was a bit mystified by this, someone else mentioned this pub early on in this thread and I couldnt place it. So, I drove over to Bromborough Dock this morning and had a bit of a mooch around. No pub in sight. There is the Village Hotel complex just up the road, but that was only built about ten years ago, in fact the closest pub to that dock is the Bromborough Cross about a mile away to the South West, and in the other direction, the Bridge Inn in Port Sunlight estate, about the same distance.
So, I must assume that there was a pub outside Bromborough Dock gates some years ago, but since demolished, I certainly never saw it.
Regards,
Pat

trotterdotpom
7th March 2009, 15:31
Thanks Pat and well done for making the effort.

John T.

makko
7th March 2009, 15:40
Capullos is another - if I've spelt itcorrectly

Quite correct, Fieldsy. Mainly spaniard word.

Another one for you: Cabrón!

Dave

makko
7th March 2009, 15:46
A mate runs/ran the Judo club at the Village Complex. Wasn't there a bit of a fraud scandal regarding the hotel? I went up there a few years back with the Old Fella to do a grading. I'll never forget his line,"Come on, son. Let's go and see the Village People!". Another old mate who was an engineer with Harrisons had his daughter in the club too.
Dave

Pat Kennedy
7th March 2009, 16:03
Dave,
Never heard any scandal about the place. I was only in there once at some corporate shindig, seems like a nice place.
Suddenly, I'm being inundated with Mexican stuff, my daughter gave me a CD with a Mexican group called MANO, some real good tracks on this. Lead singer called Fher Olvera, I believe he is big in Mexico?
Best Regards,
Pat

trotterdotpom
7th March 2009, 16:06
Quite correct, Fieldsy. Mainly spaniard word.

Another one for you: Cabrón!

Dave

We have a client at work who comes from Valencia. He set his wife's lover on fire. I'm saving that one for when he really annoys me.

John T.

JoeQ
7th March 2009, 16:54
In Ellermans in the 70's we would often load in the Mersey, sometimes in Liverpool but more often in Birkenhead. I remember some lovely evening in The Duke, The Pacific then onto some dump in New Brighton called IIRC The Silver Sipper where you could have "dinner" this turned out to be a tin of mushroom soup and a slice of wonderloaf, delicious.

Pat Kennedy
7th March 2009, 20:09
In Ellermans in the 70's we would often load in the Mersey, sometimes in Liverpool but more often in Birkenhead. I remember some lovely evening in The Duke, The Pacific then onto some dump in New Brighton called IIRC The Silver Sipper where you could have "dinner" this turned out to be a tin of mushroom soup and a slice of wonderloaf, delicious.

Joe,
You couldnt have picked two worse pubs in the whole of Birkenhead.
An ex shipmate of mine had an interest in the Pacific, his mother was the landlady, and not even the offer of free ale could induce us to enter the place. Same with the Duke, a dump.
You should have stayed on the Wallasey side of the docks and walked up to the Pool Inn, much more salubrious.
Pat

makko
9th March 2009, 03:14
Dave,
Never heard any scandal about the place. I was only in there once at some corporate shindig, seems like a nice place.
Suddenly, I'm being inundated with Mexican stuff, my daughter gave me a CD with a Mexican group called MANO, some real good tracks on this. Lead singer called Fher Olvera, I believe he is big in Mexico?
Best Regards,
Pat

Pat,
The group is MANA - I saw them many years before they became famous in a bar in Satelite,playing live, around 93-94. I agree, a good band! Fher also speaks perfect english. My daughter has his autograph - She is in school with the daughter of their manager.
The Old Phoge says that Caton's (CAY - TUNS) was called so for the Proprietor. The real name was the King Edward. Also, do you remember the Maddens?
Regards,
Dave

makko
9th March 2009, 03:19
I I remember some lovely evening in The Duke, The Pacific then onto................

The Pacific was a slice of history! Went in there, working by at Odyssey with a Welsh colleague....English was his second language and he had the certificate to prove it! I remember that he ordered a "Scotch and Peppermint"- The place went quiet. Once that i explained he was Welsh and BF, all was good again!!

Rgds.
Dave

Pat Kennedy
9th March 2009, 09:47
Pat,
The group is MANA - I saw them many years before they became famous in a bar in Satelite,playing live, around 93-94. I agree, a good band! Fher also speaks perfect english. My daughter has his autograph - She is in school with the daughter of their manager.
The Old Phoge says that Caton's (CAY - TUNS) was called so for the Proprietor. The real name was the King Edward. Also, do you remember the Maddens - Nobody dared cross them (Until I beat the cr*p out of one at a Judo competition!).
Regards,
Dave

Dave,
If they are the same Maddens, Mick amd Frankie, I worked with both of them on the docks, never had any problems with either. Frankie lives across the road from the Cheshire Cheese and is a pillar of the community!
MANA, yes, I misspelled the name, but they are very good, I found a video on you tube of them with Santana, doing Corazon espinada, excellent.

Old Janner
21st April 2009, 08:44
Any body remeber Club 43 when Hughie Fish was steaming, would sing the "Woodpecker" song ?
I used to have a membership card for the 43, so it must have been posh.
Spence.

todd
21st April 2009, 14:17
Ref: WOOKEY HOLLOW

The `Wookey Hollow` started life as a `picture house` called the `Lido` and was then converted into a Club in the earlies 60`s still keeping the name `Lido` but adding `Theatre Club`. At Sunday lunch times they had audition-day and any future bookings would do `their thing` for free whilst hoping to get a paying gig as a result.A sort of opportunity knocking show ! ![=P] It was very popular with punters who wanted to carry on drinking after the local pubs had closed.(there was no shortage of them about at the time)
I worked there on my watch off the tugs (24on---24off) and remember Diana Dors appearing there after we had built a special `dressing room` soley for her use.There was a deal between Lido & a club in Seaforth/Litherland were the artistes would do `an hour here an hour there`,one that comes to mind was Lulu.
I think I have frequented most dock road pubs during my time on Alex tugs from the Caradoc (Bootle) to The 5 Steps (Dingle) but doubt if I would recognise any of them now...if they are still there ?
Regards Jim.

Cutsplice
21st April 2009, 19:19
Jim, not too sure whether the Caradoc is still open was sometime ago, the only pub open in the south end is the Baltic Fleet. All others gone the Highland Home is/was a hotel of some sort. A couple of pubs in the nth end the Atlantic combined with what was the Boathouse still going, the Dominion still standing but empty, the Sandhills gone.

blurb10
21st April 2009, 20:24
the devil,s on the corner of dock road and stanhope st. still open today

bryanm
21st April 2009, 20:34
Remember going to the Wookey Hollow with my girl friend who has been my wife for 35 years. We were sat a table for four with another couple who were unknown to us, my girl friend had her leg wrapped around what she thought was my leg and only realised her mistake when I got up to go to the bar. Would loved to have known what the other chap thought about it.

todd
26th April 2009, 15:18
Ref: WOOKEY HOLLOW

The `Wookey Hollow` started life as a `picture house` called the `Lido` and was then converted into a Club in the earlies 60`s still keeping the name `Lido` but adding `Theatre Club`. At Sunday lunch times they had audition-day and any future bookings would do `their thing` for free whilst hoping to get a paying gig as a result.A sort of opportunity knocking show ! ![=P] It was very popular with punters who wanted to carry on drinking after the local pubs had closed.(there was no shortage of them about at the time)
I worked there on my watch off the tugs (24on---24off) and remember Diana Dors appearing there after we had built a special `dressing room` soley for her use.There was a deal between Lido & a club in Seaforth/Litherland were the artistes would do `an hour here an hour there`,one that comes to mind was Lulu.
I think I have frequented most dock road pubs during my time on Alex tugs from the Caradoc (Bootle) to The 5 Steps (Dingle) but doubt if I would recognise any of them now...if they are still there ?
Regards Jim.

PS. I believe the name of the Seaforth/Litherland club was the `Madison` and was very popular in it`s day.
(Old age has a lot to answer for `memory-loss` being one of the minor ones)

Regards Jim.

petermc
26th April 2009, 22:25
the Seaforth/Litherland club may have been called Allisons

todd
3rd May 2009, 14:39
the Seaforth/Litherland club may have been called Allisons

PeterMC,
I believe You are right on target with Allisons Thanks very much for the memory-jog.
Regards Jim.

ray morgan
3rd May 2009, 16:55
If I remember right The Red Lion facing Pool,Trawler further on southward

Cutsplice
3rd May 2009, 19:39
Ray, you are 100% correct Red Lion opposite the Pool the Trawler Inn southwards towards Canning Place. Red Lion terrible beer Bents brewery stuff, Bents was taken over by Bass (I think), cant recall the brewery behind the Trawler, possibly Threlfalls taken over by Whitbread. Only one brewery left in Liverpool now Cains, was Higsons brewery which was taken over by Boddingtons then closed and reopened as Cains

Derek Roger
4th May 2009, 01:32
Ray, you are 100% correct Red Lion opposite the Pool the Trawler Inn southwards towards Canning Place. Red Lion terrible beer Bents brewery stuff, Bents was taken over by Bass (I think), cant recall the brewery behind the Trawler, possibly Threlfalls taken over by Whitbread. Only one brewery left in Liverpool now Cains, was Higsons brewery which was taken over by Boddingtons then closed and reopened as Cains

What happened to Walkers then ?? Derek

Cutsplice
4th May 2009, 14:31
Walkers merged/taken over by Tetley many years ago, the first of the takeovers. There used to be a Walkers pub on one corner and a Tetleys on the other, then it was rationalised by shutting one or the other, the start of the contraction of pubs in Liverpool. Now I think Tetleys is known a Allied Brewery. There were only three pubs owned by Wilsons a Manchester company, they had a draught board symbol in black and yellow. Also there were Mellors pubs but Walkers took them prior to when they themselves were takenover. A couple of CXL pubs a Blackpool outfit now Charringtons.
Greenall Whitley had some pubs but not in town mainly in the suburbs and near Garston docks, they brought out a lager in the mid sixties called Grunhalle. Their advertising campaign had two men dressed in Bavarian outfits, many people thought it was a German lager, but Grunhalle was German for Geenall. Many people said to me "have you tried that German lager Greenalls are selling, its fantastic".

Ron Stringer
4th May 2009, 18:34
Guys, if you are interested in breweries (rather than drinking places) try here http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=25815&highlight=Bents

Pat Kennedy
4th May 2009, 19:20
A couple more have popped into my head. The Elm House in Bootle, probably the closest pub to Hornby Dock, and the Tug Boat in Netherfield Rd. this last one I wandered into one night with a girl who introduced me to some of her family. the first question put to me was, 'What religion are you then ?'
It was an Orange pub, and no place for a left footer like me.

degsy
4th May 2009, 23:54
A couple more have popped into my head. The Elm House in Bootle, probably the closest pub to Hornby Dock, and the Tug Boat in Netherfield Rd. this last one I wandered into one night with a girl who introduced me to some of her family. the first question put to me was, 'What religion are you then ?'
It was an Orange pub, and no place for a left footer like me.

Similar experience Pat when I was taken home by the first wife, her Mother looked at me and said "Your not a Catholic are you lad". She originated from High Park Street in the Dingle.

Bill Davies
5th May 2009, 22:58
Not what one would call a dockside pub but the Magazines in Wallasey would certainly qualify for inclusion here, as it was full of seafarers from different Liverpool companies. One could be giddy from getting 'ten ton gear' in the right ear and 'Geislinger couplings' in the left. The beer was excellent.

Bill

Pat Kennedy
5th May 2009, 23:17
Not what one would call a dockside pub but the Magazines in Wallasey would certainly qualify for inclusion here, as it was full of seafarers from different Liverpool companies. One could be giddy from getting 'ten ton gear' in the right ear and 'Geislinger couplings' in the left. The beer was excellent.

Bill
I was there on Thursday last for lunch with a couple of retired colleagues.
sadly, there were no snatch blocks or bull ropes in evidence. just talk of pensions and hip replacements.
Pat

makko
6th May 2009, 01:59
My great aunt (Dot) was landlady in the 70's!
Rgds.
Dave

Fieldsy
6th May 2009, 09:33
Their advertising campaign had two men dressed in Bavarian outfits...

The one where two men are running down the street then break into a Bavarian dance? One of the men was Michael Redfern, later the dad in the Oxo adverts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-476459/What-happened-actors-turned-Oxo-family-advert-soap-opera.html

Met him in the Odd Spot, on Bold St, in the mid 70s. Lots of celebs in town for a charity football match and he was one of them. We must have driven him mad as we were getting him to do the dance half the night. He was very patient!

firkins
16th May 2009, 17:35
Bill Davies mentioned the Stump in Wallasey, this was actually the Blazing Stump ( a nickname) the actual name was something more prosaic like the Queens Arms or some such name.
After I left the sea I had a pub, the Lord Exmouth, in Birkenhead.
At this time the landlord of the Blazing Stump was an ex Chief Steward (Stan something) and I used to relieve him when he went on holiday.
It was a great pub, always busy what with dockers, merchant seamen and locals because of the betting shop close by.
Had some great times there, especially after hours in the afternoons.
Peter (Pat) Baker.

The Blazing Stump in those days was actually named The Swan Hotel, and The Lord Exmouth in Exmouth Street is now known as Seamus O`donnells

degsy
17th May 2009, 21:35
I was down in Chinatown on Friday night, we went into The Nook, now theres a Liverpool Aleouse that could tell some stories(Thumb)

Bill Davies
17th May 2009, 21:57
The Blazing Stump in those days was actually named The Swan Hotel, and The Lord Exmouth in Exmouth Street is now known as Seamus O`donnells

I assume this Seamus O'Donnells is an Irish Theme pub. Has anyone been in any of these theme pubs that actually feel or look like what they are supposed to represent. Apart from the Guinness I would say that is about it.

Bill

Pat Kennedy
18th May 2009, 10:21
The story I heard about how the Blazing Stump got it's nickname is that one day an old sailor with a wooden leg was sat close to the fireplace in there, and nodded off. He woke to find his stump was well alight.
I used to go in there for a pint at lunch time whenever I was working at the Mortar Mill quay across the road. It was just another Dock Rd pub, but I believe it was different at night time when lots of seamen and local girls got in there.
Pat

Bill Davies
18th May 2009, 19:33
I'm a little lost now Pat. What is the name of that pub at the top of lane leading down to the locks. Is it the Bee?
I recall, on one occasiona going up for a final pint (30 minutes max!) when sailing on a 'china boats'.
Brgds

Bill

Pat Kennedy
18th May 2009, 19:54
I'm a little lost now Pat. What is the name of that pub at the top of lane leading down to the locks. Is it the Bee?
I recall, on one occasiona going up for a final pint (30 minutes max!) when sailing on a 'china boats'.
Brgds

Bill

I think it was the Bee, Bill, although I was never in there.
I will drive to work that way tomorrow and check it out.
We were often in the lock or the Alfred basin for an hour or two, but I never heard of anyone getting off to go for a pint, the danger was you might decide to stay there and forget to go back.
Shore gang blokes used to tantalise us with their 'cheerio lads, just off for a couple of pints now, see you next trip'
Bas***ds.

Regards,
Pat(Thumb)

Bill Davies
18th May 2009, 20:12
It only happened the once Pat although others claim they did the same.
I used to enjoy the last pint in the Park View (Park Station). It was a Yates house and the Bitter was good. I have mentioned this before to Dave (Makko). I seem to have this image with the Guinness and Bitter struggling with the SG difference. One can hardly take a spoon to a Black and Tan. I assume their will be authorites on what constitutes a B&T. Guinness over Bitter or Mild. Never trusted Mild.!!

Brgds

Bill