Sea Princess

Paul UK
13th May 2007, 20:03
Whats wrong just caught tail end of news report that she needs 8 days of repairs and will stay in Southampton for those repairs all passengers being sent home even before they go any where.

Paul

Just seen newscaster I must have been blind but even that does not state the problem

R58484956
14th May 2007, 12:49
Technical problems with the ships propulsion motors according to the press. (As quoted by a spokeswomen of Princess cruises)

newda898
14th May 2007, 16:55
Apparently she's got a problem with one of her thrusters, although I'm not sure whether it is one at the bow or the stern thruster.

SeaStoryWriter
15th May 2007, 05:22
Just because it's new technology doesn't mean it's the best technology. Give me back props and a good tug and crew to get me in and out. It's like all the new high tech electronics; by the time it reaches the consumer, it's already obsolete, and likely to fail within the year. WILL

Geoff Garrett
15th May 2007, 09:46
Thats right WILL, until you get to a port and find that the tugs and tug crews are all out on strike and you have a thousand pax/tonness of cargo to be priority landed.

Rgds,
Geoff.

SeaStoryWriter
17th May 2007, 05:30
I was only thinking about passenger ships-give'um a free drink and some tokens for the slots; that's just about all they're there for anyway. Cargo is something different-bad feeling to be last in line to off load your catch, knowing the price falls every time the guy ahead of you off loads his, and watching your uncle the captain keep getting redder in the face with anger as he does! WILL

Louise.s
17th May 2007, 22:18
I remember back in 1996 i was on the original Pacific Princess when we hit some rocks coming into Naples for a turnaround day, we severely damaged both props. They allowed the new pax to come on, then the captain announced - after having divers down there- that they would have to get off, but they would be put up in hotels in sorrento. There was uproar and two sets of pax barracaded themselves in their cabins.

fred henderson
17th May 2007, 23:25
A significant number of cruise "ports" of call do not have any tugs nowadays.

Fred