14th May 2007, 00:47
Please does anyone know of some decent software
(that does not cost the earth) taking jpegs from the pc and
that can create a DVD/CD which can be viewed via a player
on the TV. Best Wishes, Raymond

benjidog
14th May 2007, 01:05
Raymond.

If you are driving the TV screen via a PC you could use either the inbuilt Preview functionality from Windows Explorer, or a free program like Picasa.

If on the other hand you are talking about making a DVD that will do this on a DVD player this is another ball game and I can't help.

Regards,

Brian

treeve
14th May 2007, 11:11
Hello Brian,
That sounds a good idea ...
How would I go about driving a TV screen from a
PackardBell EasyNote laptop running Windows XP?
I'll have a go with Picasa, in the meantime.
Best Wishes, Raymond

K urgess
14th May 2007, 11:30
Raymond
I've got Pinnacle Expression loaded on my PC (came with the machine) and it can do what you want.
I notice that Amazon are selling it very cheap.
Do a Google on Pinnacle Software.
Cheers
Kris

treeve
14th May 2007, 12:33
Hi Kris, and thank you ... Amazon are announcing "not available".
I can't find it on Pinnacle - they seem to have dropped it and
replaced it with EasyCopy, the software was released Oct 2002;
The used software available is in German, not my strongest point.
Unfortunately EasyCopy doesn't have the slide show creator.
I will keep a weather eye on the horizon for a used copy.
Best Wishes, Raymond

K urgess
14th May 2007, 13:23
Raymond
I've just had a look at the copy of Picassa I have loaded and it has the facility to create "Gift CDs".
Not sure exactly what this means 'cos I didn't explore too far but it looks capable of creating slideshow disks.
Cheers
Kris

treeve
14th May 2007, 13:41
Indeed I have just downloaded and installed Picasa 2, and it will create CD slideshows - I don't think this will be read by a DVD player (for TV). One other idea was to take the laptop around and plug it into the TV somehow, or is that a problem? I have a Dazzle video interface for collecting images from VHS to the PC, could that be used, in reverse? I am just not au fait with networking and interconnection between tv and computer. It is one thing carrying around a bunch of prints, but quite another trying to show 800 or more digital pictures. Laptops have a limited acceptable viewing angle.
All the best, Raymond

benjidog
14th May 2007, 14:56
Raymond,

You will need to check what outputs your PC/laptop has and what inputs your TV has. If the TV has an input called something like VGA you can probably connect it to the PC like it was a screen. You would have to work out from the TV settings how to select that type of input etc. My laptop enables you to switch between its own screen and an external screen. It may take a bit of research and buggering about but you should be able to make that work.

Many modern TVs and laptops have better ways of doing this like S-Video connections.

Sorry there is no single answer but I think one way or another you should be able to do this unless you have a pretty old telly.

Brian

K urgess
14th May 2007, 15:19
Raymond
Most modern DVD players will play CDs, MP3s and anything else you can throw at them. We don't have a HiFi rigged at the moment and all new CDs are just bunged in the DVD player for listening.
A lot of modern flat screen TVs have a PC input but you have to make sure it's actually got it. It seems to be an optional extra in most cases. I've found recently that even though it's got the plugs it doesn't mean the EEPROM has got the software.
In the interests of experimentation I've just put an ordinary backup CD in my DVD player attached to the TV and it's merrily giving me a slideshow of all the pictures on the disk. This wasn't created as a slideshow disk just a common-or-garden backup.
Cheers
Kris
PS The DVD player is a fifty quid supermarket special!

treeve
14th May 2007, 18:08
Thank you Kris and Brian ....
I am not averse to the odd tinkering under the bonnet
(not that I have a car, mind you). I have just read in
a magazine (not that I bought it) that Vista includes
a section under Media centre to do just that, create
a slide show DVD. But now that you have checked out
that CD Kris, I'll have a go at that, so much simpler.
Best Wishes

rothesian
14th May 2007, 20:48
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ulead-DVD-PictureShow/dp/B000063CQG
have alook at this website - might do - am looking for same or similar

Phill
14th May 2007, 20:56
If you have a digital camera, most come with a disc that has a CD viewer, of which can be edited with sound tracks,
on the fuji finepix an upgrade to DVD cost’s £21

Phill

newda898
14th May 2007, 22:06
Perhaps this is the sort of software that you are after.
http://tinyurl.com/39xn3m

There are endless ways to do what you described, some of which have already been suggested. Otherwise you could always use Microsoft Photostory, which is free, but then you'll need some software to burn the Photostory onto a DVD.

treeve
15th May 2007, 00:01
Hi rothesian, thanks .. I used to have Ulead photosuite, but the thing crashed my pc so many times, I uninstalled. I see the reviews are not that good.
Hi Phill, I will check out the Fuji software to see what it can do, I have only used it to upload the pics from the camera so far.
Good tip thanks Daniel, I have downloaded Photostory, and will transfer it to the laptop .. I have a really good burner - Nero (what else!!) on the laptop.
That is a good number of options I have now, thanks guys...
Best Wishes, Raymond