SS John Brown

steviej
14th May 2007, 11:54
On youtube a video of the triple expansion engine on the Liberty Ship SS John Brown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1xv0Du9hxk

steviej

K urgess
14th May 2007, 12:17
Magic sound.
Almost as good as a Doxford.(Thumb)

benjidog
14th May 2007, 13:46
Good find Stevie.

Wish the cameraman had not been so jerky in his movements though!

Brian

steviej
14th May 2007, 17:39
Good find Stevie.

Wish the cameraman had not been so jerky in his movements though!

Brian
He seemed nervous of the ladders and I beleive he was uncomfortable with the heat according to his comment. I would love have the chance of a visit to the SS John Brown.
steviej

Keith Adams
17th May 2007, 04:42
Hate to be a pain but !, actual vessel's name is "John W. Brown" ... just to keep accuracy for the site. Regards to all, Snowy

steviej
18th May 2007, 12:03
Hate to be a pain but !, actual vessel's name is "John W. Brown" ... just to keep accuracy for the site. Regards to all, Snowy
Snowy
No Problem. Tanks for the information.
steviej(Thumb)

Keith Adams
22nd May 2007, 07:39
Hi steviej, the "John W. Brown" people have a teriffic web site ... just google the ship name ... even have a crew list ... a few 'Vindi" lads go over there to Baltimore to do Volunteer Work aboard her and assist in the summer cruise schedule ... have photos and video clips as well. Cheers, Snowy

KIWI
22nd May 2007, 10:18
Hell there is plenty of nostalgia in those shots of the John W Brown engine room plus the sound too.Real pity the camera work was not better but nevertheless one could well remember the smell of hot oil & steam.Something I never expected to see again.Going back to the UK stopped off in LA or Vancouver not knowing about JWB.Would sure have altered travel plans to match her steaming schedule. Kiwi

KIWI
22nd May 2007, 10:18
Hell there is plenty of nostalgia in those shots of the John W Brown engine room plus the sound too.Real pity the camera work was not better but nevertheless one could well remember the smell of hot oil & steam.Something I never expected to see again.Going back to the UK stopped off in LA or Vancouver not knowing about JWB.Would sure have altered travel plans to match her steaming schedule. Kiwi

steviej
24th May 2007, 08:31
Snowy.
Thanks for the information. I checked project liberty ship site they were selling a 60 minute DVD of the engineroom. Have you seen this DVD is it worth the $20. Can you post some of the photo's
steviej

steviej
24th May 2007, 08:49
Snowy
You forgot to mention your work on the SS Jeremiah O' Brian in San Francisco. I found a video which includes some great footage of the triple expansion engine. Well worth a view
http://www.bowkera.com/jeremiah_obrien.htm

Stuart Smith
27th May 2007, 14:14
StevieJ
Thanks for that link to the Jeremiah O'Brien. It was fantastic, made my day by a mile.
Stuart

Keith Adams
28th May 2007, 03:33
Subject was "John W. Brown" so didn't want to steel their thunder! There is a lot of friendly competition between the two remaining Liberty's but they are funded better than "Jeremiah O'Brien" ... we are doing okay and are working on a Dry Docking next month ... actual date not yet fixed but will be in San Francisco around mid-June for a week. Our Storekeeper is on this site and I will attempt to get a posting from him of available videos and books, etc.. Thankyou for your interest and to all Shipsnostalgia members who have already been aboard. Been a bit of a stranger to the ship myself of late due to needful Part-Time work and home comitments . Cheers, Snowy

KIWI
28th May 2007, 04:19
As stated that further link on the JoB was great viewing.Sure hope the possible further postings do come about. Kiwi

steviej
11th September 2007, 08:50
Further photo's of the John W Brown can be found on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/liberty_ship_john_brown/

vchiu
12th September 2007, 05:38
Dear Snowy,

Would you kindly help me extend my congratulations to all the team, past and present whom we owe to have the JOB afloat and running. I can't express my gratitude enough to your work, and of course, this goes for those who handle the BROWN as well.

I visited the JOB in spring 1998 and the job done made a very strong impression upon me.

Thanks to you I don't just have pictures, on the contrary I could see, touch, hear and feel the true thing, and I hope I will sail on her one day.
This is a priceless experience. Thank you so much.

Subject was "John W. Brown" so didn't want to steel their thunder! There is a lot of friendly competition between the two remaining Liberty's but they are funded better than "Jeremiah O'Brien" ... we are doing okay and are working on a Dry Docking next month ... actual date not yet fixed but will be in San Francisco around mid-June for a week. Our Storekeeper is on this site and I will attempt to get a posting from him of available videos and books, etc.. Thankyou for your interest and to all Shipsnostalgia members who have already been aboard. Been a bit of a stranger to the ship myself of late due to needful Part-Time work and home comitments . Cheers, Snowy

Bruce Carson
12th September 2007, 14:51
Snowy, may I echo vchiu's sentiments. I don't think I've ever extended my best wishes to you and all the others who have made the ship what she is today.
I've seen her once and hope to again in the not too distant future.
A fine job very well done.

Thanks,
Bruce C

Keith Adams
15th November 2007, 04:16
So sorry not to have checked this thread sooner ... To vchiu and Bruce Carson, your kind comments are most welcome but I am undeserving off them of late as I have not been near the "O'Brien" since summer, and it now looks like it will be February before I can resume work aboard ship as I have major stuff going on with home and family until then. If either of you fellows plan a visit at any time, please contact me via Private Messages and I will make sure you get to see and do all you want aboard ship. Thanks, Snowy

KIWI
15th November 2007, 06:37
Time is running out for a trip back to the UK but if it comes about you can be sure there will be a stopover in Frisco & the date of the trip will be organised around the date she does her trip around the harbour.Had to laugh when the guy complained it was hot in San Francisco.Wonder what he would have had to say in the Red Sea,especially if he was taking ullages on the settling tanks behind the boilers at the end of watch.The ice water tap & salt tablets on the engine column by the telegraph was favourite but it just went thru you.One even squelched in their shoes but oh to that smell of oil & steam again. Kiwi