British Splendour

drynet
15th May 2007, 11:16
Found the photo of the Splendour cutting through the ice interesting think that I can put a date on it. I was on her in Jan 62 when we were cutting through thick ice in Norway a flottila of small boats followed us down river us we cut a passage through the ice for them. I think that photo appeared in a circular that went round the fleet at that time. I was working in the forward tanks repairing heating coils with a Vic Nash (anyone remember him?) the noise from the breaking ice was frightning poor Vic made a bolt for it back back up to the deck I could not be left down there on my own so the job was abandoned happy days?
Drynet

drynet
3rd June 2007, 16:10
Does anyone remember an Engineer on Tyneside called Charlie Craggs?
He earned some sort of award diring World War 2. Would like to hear about his story

Hamish Mackintosh
3rd June 2007, 16:41
Found the photo of the Splendour cutting through the ice interesting think that I can put a date on it. I was on her in Jan 62 when we were cutting through thick ice in Norway a flottila of small boats followed us down river us we cut a passage through the ice for them. I think that photo appeared in a circular that went round the fleet at that time. I was working in the forward tanks repairing heating coils with a Vic Nash (anyone remember him?) the noise from the breaking ice was frightning poor Vic made a bolt for it back back up to the deck I could not be left down there on my own so the job was abandoned happy days?
Drynet

I use that picture as my screen saver, I was on her Aug to Dec 54. You will note on that picture the provisions for double awnings, and also there must have been a paint change since I was on her as the bulkhead of the aft accomadation (lower section) is grey , it was white when I was aboard. I have another picture of her after the funnel colours were changed,and all the double awning stantions missing