Pre Sea

Fraserbetts
15th May 2007, 14:59
Anyone do pre sea at King Teds? Lived in a 'stone frigate' on the Commercial Road in London; travelled every day to college in Whitechapel. Remember a BP Guy, Bowyer. Not many BP people there, mostly cargo and passenger guys. Remember staggering from the Gloucester Road tube station in a real pea souper; got in the rec room to hear Kennedy had been shot.
Brgds

non descript
15th May 2007, 18:07
One lasting memory is going out of the basement door dressed in my pyjamas to put the dustbins out, in Gloucester Road (for an on behalf of Colonel Jenny?) and finding the door slam shut and then having to walk round the corner and up Cromwell Road to the front door in bare feet and pyjama bottoms. (Jester)

John_F
15th May 2007, 20:12
Fraserbetts,
I did pre-sea training at King Ted's from September - December 1958 but as a day boy. We attended the annexe in Smithy Street, off Mile End Rd. This building still stands & has reverted to a primary school. Have attached a photo I took last year whilst on a trip down the East End. I also walked past 680 but I had difficulty recognising it & I believe it has been converted into (luxury?) flats.
You must also have done the usual run on the Wendorian to Southend & back after a week's boat drill in Wapping Basin aboard her (another photo of her here).

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1727/cat/500/perpage/12/sort/1/ppuser/912 (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1727/cat/500/perpage/12/sort/1/ppuser/912)
No photos of the whalers in the West India Docks, I'm afraid, nor of the Magellan - remember her?
Kind regards,
John

Keltic Star
16th May 2007, 05:26
Was at King Ted's Sept. '58 to June '59. The stone frigate as you call it was a great place. We used to use the roof fire escape to get in and out after lights out just like Dick Van Dyke in "Mary Poppins". The BEA stewardess training residence was just across the road.

The superintendent couple who ran the residence were a Mr. & Mrs. Owen, great people, Capt. Miller lived in during the week and there was a retired ex-Captain as full time resident Captain. forget his name but what a miserable b------d, even when sober which wasn't too often. Held court in the office down the hallway from the main entrance, surveying all and sundry with continuous shouts, screams and belches until he passed out at which point Mrs. Owen would close the door with a sigh of relief.

On Sunday mornings we had to vacate the building from 1000-1200 supposedly to go to church. Most of us used our tube season tickets to kill time on the Circle Line reading the News of the World.

What a great time.

Fraserbetts
18th May 2007, 11:28
Hi John - was there '63. The training ship was the Glen Strathallan, coal fired three legged triple expansion; she was eventually scuttled off Plymouth as a diver training wreck; however, the main engine was taken out first and you could see it pride of place in the London Science museum; dont know if its still there?

non descript
18th May 2007, 11:56
Hi John - was there '63. The training ship was the Glen Strathallan, coal fired three legged triple expansion; she was eventually scuttled off Plymouth as a diver training wreck; however, the main engine was taken out first and you could see it pride of place in the London Science museum; dont know if its still there?

Fraser, you may find this one here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=7138) is interesting in terms of Glen Strathallan

Fraserbetts
20th May 2007, 09:35
John - my first outing to Southend was on Glen Strathallan; lots of earlier threads on her. On seeing the photo started to remember things; what a great time. Thanks for the insight
Fraser

barnsey
20th May 2007, 12:29
Anyone got a photo of "Dock Street" exam centre....?

God what a hole that was .... did second mates there before decamping to Southampton for mates ... finished up Masters in Wellington NZ ... nice panoramic views of he Beehive while desperately searching for answers!!

Barnsey

Phil Williams
11th December 2007, 03:08
I did a year's course at King Teds 1955-56, living in at Cromwell road Hall all that time, it was a great year for me, doing something I wanted to after years of boredom at school! The highlight of each term was the week's trip on the Wendorian, being down the alphabetical order I always caught the last trip when we took her to Lowestoft to lay up for the holidays, it was always more relaxed then. Capt.Griffiths was Master, a lovely man admired by all, the mate was Mr. Harris, who did his best to keep us cadets in order, without real success. The food on the Wendy was great, thanks to Charlie the cook. My year at King Teds got me through my Second Mate's ticket, as I wasn't very diligent at studying at sea!

Phil

John_F
11th December 2007, 19:59
Phil,
Photo of Captain Griffiths here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=38630

As you say, a lovely man & a real gentleman.
Kind regards,
John.

David Davies
11th December 2007, 20:15
I believe that Capt Griffiths became Master of one of the Sail Training Association schooners, either the Sir Winston Churchill or the Malcolm Miller. I remember him well, took my 2nd mates in 1954 at King Teds I think the principal lecturer then was Capt Myscoff?

Phil Williams
14th December 2007, 03:27
John F.

Thanks for the photo of Capt. Griffiths--it took me back! David, The gentleman you mention was Capt. Myerscough (I think!)