Universal Skipper

universalskipper
16th May 2007, 06:20
This is a Hkg flag vessel (Liberty-class) renamed and might have been SS (not MS) as my cabin was like a steamy bathroom and a torture in tropical waters. She might have been bought cheaply for scrap n re-activated by a one ship co. in Hkg operated by Capt Eddie Shih and Capt Ferguson as far as I can recollect. The capt (his 1st command) was an ex Cunard liner 2/off by name of Duggan in his early thirties at most and C/o yet another young fresh Brit guy ex BI ..John Barsley. The 2/o and crew were Hkg Chinese. I was the 3/o from Msia n 1st time on Hkg tramper. It was kind of an adventure n awakening experience for me then at nearly 20 yrs old and working in a cargoship, having been a cadet with tankers only. I had an almost 2/Mate FG BOT ticket (awaitng my radar observer cert. to complete it). This old bucket n shipmates onboard fondly remembered by me (thus my pseudonym here in thread) although spent less than a year with her. Traded to communist China, F.E.Russian & N Korean port.. freezing temp and coldest reception n funny at times ..rarity in those days. Wonder what happened to vsl and those brave guys?(Thumb) Anyway I expect would be lucky to hear from somebody on the vsl.

gdynia
16th May 2007, 07:46
Please Find

Vessel Name: UNIVERSAL SKIPPER
Vessel ID: 500111678
Vessel Type: Steamship
Tonnage: 7,359 gross
Built: 1944
Date of Fate: 1966
Type of Fate: Broken up
Vessel Abstract: Ex EAST WALES-1966, ex CRESSINGTON COURT-1958, ex EMPIRE EARL-1945..

Empire Earl,built by the William Doxford & Sons Shipyard, at Sunderland, England.

universalskipper
16th May 2007, 08:30
Please Find

Vessel Name: UNIVERSAL SKIPPER
Vessel ID: 500111678
Vessel Type: Steamship
Tonnage: 7,359 gross
Built: 1944
Date of Fate: 1966
Type of Fate: Broken up
Vessel Abstract: Ex EAST WALES-1966, ex CRESSINGTON COURT-1958, ex EMPIRE EARL-1945..

Empire Earl,built by the William Doxford & Sons Shipyard, at Sunderland, England.

Thanks, so she was SS. But the shipbuilders sound very MS as in Doxford Engines, maybe the newer ones are.

Dave Edge
17th May 2007, 01:24
The "Universal Skipper" was a motorship powered by a 3 cylinder Doxford. She was owned by Dalkeith Shipping Co Ltd and delivered to breakers at Whampoa on 25 August 1970.