SS Brimsdown, Steevies Flattie.

athinai
17th May 2007, 15:37
Great memories of the Summer of 1964, running Tyne to Thames and under all the Bridges, Wonderful times, Great Shipmates. Unforgetable.

ruud
17th May 2007, 17:59
Ahoy Athinai,
Indeed must have been a great time passing under all those bridges,easy going.(Thumb)
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6441/brimsdown1951mediumyh3.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brimsdown1951mediumyh3.jpg)
Courtesy/© Iain Lovie
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1264/brimsdown1951mediumtk8.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brimsdown1951mediumtk8.jpg)
Courtesy/© A.Duncan

athinai
19th May 2007, 15:15
Hi Ruud,

Just got the Fabulous pictures printed off, and they will take pride of place on the Wall in my Office (DEN). As Always, Many Thanks & Regards to you and yours.

Burned Toast
24th October 2007, 14:46
I think you use to get 2/6 for dropping the funnel to go under the bridges !!

Ray

athinai
26th October 2007, 14:29
Hi Ray, I did'nt know that, and was it for each Bridge ? That would come to some amount then., My main Job was keeping a picture on the TV and pointing it for best recepition as we moved up and down the coast., Had a Brilliant Idea, Got a Huge Bulb from the Lecky at one of the Power Stations and passed it to the Boatswain, It Was the Best TV Antenna we had., no more up and down the masts., Cheers.,

athinai
27th October 2007, 13:10
Ray, I just noticed my reply to your 2/6 for dropping the Funnel, and I am still laughing at my Question, '''Was it for each Bridge'' ?? Hi Hi

The old Grey matter is not so good anymore.

Cheers Ray.

Burned Toast
24th November 2007, 10:30
What about the North Thames Gas Board ships have we not got any photos of

SS Firelight - Fireglow - Firebeam to name but a few that used to run into South Docks S'land Local pub Regale Tavern.

Ray R700934

ruud
25th November 2007, 10:20
Ahoy Ray R700934,
Ray wrote:What about the North Thames Gas Board ships have we not got any photos of

SS Firelight - Fireglow - Firebeam to name but a few that used to run into South Docks S'land Local pub Regale Tavern.
Here to post a few,more colliers/flatirons,which I provided, can be viewed at:
http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/colliers%20A-Z.html (http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/colliers%20A-Z.html)

Burned Toast
25th November 2007, 13:25
Thanks Ruud

Some of the older lads wanted some photos of their ships

Ray

athinai
25th November 2007, 20:14
Burned Toast, just a Little Question ?

Can you remember ? How Many Pints would you get for the ''2S 6d ''to Lower the Funnel ? ( going under the Bridges ??)

Say about 1963 or thereabouts ?

Ray I'm Just thinking, would you get 1 and a Half ?

Burned Toast
26th November 2007, 14:12
Dock Hotel just up the bank from South Dock 11pence a pint Trumans Best Bitter 1960

Ray

athinai
26th November 2007, 15:40
Ray,

How things and prices have Changed so much,

Best Regards/

trotterdotpom
26th November 2007, 21:17
I agree with Burnt Toast, approx a 1/6d (the olden days way of writing one shilling and sixpence) a pint in the mid '60s. Of course, that wasn't a tiny overpriced bottle of Mexican lager with a wedge of lemon in it and the label pointing outwards.

John T.

PS Somewhere on the site there is a description of the kids spitting on the pilot of Harry Richardson as she passed under Tower Bridge.

Ron Stringer
27th November 2007, 07:41
I agree with Burnt Toast, approx a 1/6d (the olden days way of writing one shilling and sixpence) a pint in the mid '60s. John T.

Not so sure about that, John. Best bitter was 1s. 6d. a pint in 1959 when I was still training as a Sparks in Manchester. For that reason we used to drink draught cider, which was only 1s. 3d. As keen followers of the 'more bangs for your buck' principle, we couldn't afford to pay 20% more for a lesser 'bang'.

trotterdotpom
27th November 2007, 10:05
Ron, maybe I'm looking at the world through barley coloured glasses - you seem so confident, I'll defer to your better memory. I just thought I could remember paying 9d (nine old pence) for half a pint of Courage in Bristol in about '65 - I was only beginning the onslaught on my brain cells at that time.

Talk about 'bangs for your buck', I do remember haggling the price for a bag off in Las Palmas down to the peseta equivalent of a shilling (emphasis on 'hag') - I would have taken it too but there were to many big mouth familiar faces around and I was worried about my image - from today's perspective, I'm not sure why I was bothered.

For the uninitiated, a shilling (12 old pence or 12d or 1s ) eventually became five new pence (5p). Nice to bring back the memories of the old money, I think it's sad that we've lost marks, francs, pesetas, etc and everything's become the boring Euro. Wonder how long the pound will hold out.

John T.

Ron Stringer
27th November 2007, 15:14
John,

We could both have been right since beer prices then (and now) did vary widely around the country. It always used to be dearer 'Down South' than 'Up North' but earlier this year I was in Keighley, W. Yorks where they were extorting 2-35 a pint. In the Wetherspoons in Chelmsford, Essex I can get good bitter for 1-59. A long way from the 1s/6d for bitter, 1s/4d for mild and 1s/3d for draught rough cider charged in Moss Side, Manchester in 1958/59.

The cider was a pleasant drink with a somewhat higher alcohol content than the bitter, but over-indulgence produced worse effects than a hangover and which proved to be good training for later, when I was on the Indian Coast and learned about Delhi Belly.

Burned Toast
27th November 2007, 20:10
You can still get a pint of Stones or John Smiths for 1.10p in the North East.

Ray

Ron Stringer
27th November 2007, 21:41
You can still get a pint of Stones or John Smiths for 1.10p in the North East.

Ray

Ray, if it is that John Smith's Smooth, then they would have to pay me to drink it.

Burned Toast
28th November 2007, 19:47
Tast better than Tusker Ron in the Sunshine Bar Monbasa, but yes it's John Smiths Smooth.

Ray

athinai
10th February 2008, 12:13
Any Chance of the UK Going over to the Euro ????
Will there be a Referendum ?

Regards/

jim heslop
17th February 2008, 06:23
Burnt Toast
I was on the Alexander Kenndy a Flat Iron That used to go under the Bridges and the only person that received any money was the man on the wheel and that was from the pilot
jim heslop

ruud
17th February 2008, 08:08
Ahoy Jim,
Here your SIR ALEXANDER KENNEDY
http://img12.myimg.de/SirAlexanderKennedyMedi73110_thumb.jpg (http://www.myimg.de/?img=SirAlexanderKennedyMedi73110.jpg)

athinai
17th February 2008, 14:22
hi Jim,
I spent many a Good evening on Your old Flattie ''Sir Alexander Kennedy'' as a friend of mine worked on her., Great times in London and up North.,

Warmy
18th May 2009, 23:10
Hi All,
I'm looking for any information about my grandad who served on this ship. His name was Wiliam (billy) Warmington. It would be great to hear from anybody who remembers him or served with him.

Please get in touch.

Regards

Stu

frank fish
27th May 2009, 11:10
I did a boiler service visit in Blyth to the Brimsdown in 1972 and believe at that time she was the last of the coal burners on the East coast. She had one very large Scotch Boiler and a vertical donkey boiler which I was told was never used

B.Nicholson
28th May 2009, 02:07
Burnt Toast
I was on the Alexander Kenndy a Flat Iron That used to go under the Bridges and the only person that received any money was the man on the wheel and that was from the pilot
jim heslop

I was on the Kennedy in the winter of 62. We were never paid a penny for dropping the funnel. Maybe Captain Dukes did something worthy with it??? Shud have got danger money though, Cause Steve the Greek was straddled the funnel one night shackling the stays on when the winch slipped and parted the the funnel wire. Steve the Greek was shot through the air for about 30ft and landed in the Jolly boat. Not a scratch on him
Bob.

7woodlane
3rd July 2009, 16:52
Not always a pleasant experience passing under the bridges. Blackfriars ( I think) was the worst when heading for Battersea or Fulham. In the then era of the Teddy Boys it was a hazard at night because of what they discharged as you went through below them. Otherwise I enjoyed my time on the Blackwall Point.

notnila
6th August 2013, 22:36
In London at the moment visiting my daughter and family.Today we walked the River from Putney Bridge to Hammersmith and I was telling my Grandkids about the Flatties when I realised I didn't know how far upriver they went.I was on three colliers,but never a flattie.
Was Fulham Power Station almost next to Fulham FC Ground?That whole area looks like it's been redeveloped.

madbob
7th August 2013, 01:35
Did time on a few 'flatties'. An educational experience, but whilst in the "Thomas Hardie" (North Thames Gas Board) the furthest upriver was in fact Fulham Power Station. Very handy for the social side of the job in the pubs and houses close to the plant.

trotterdotpom
7th August 2013, 12:22
Fulham was as far as we went on Harry Richardson. You could be right about the football ground - not sure. I remember the berth was a few minutes walk from Fulham Broadway and not much further to the Kings Road, Chelsea - uber trendy at the time, except they didn't say "uber" then.

Also went to Battersea Power station a little bit down river from Fulham and on the other side. Often see the big chimnies on films. I think it's an eyesore that they've given heritage listing to. Not as ugly as the Angel of the North, but getting there.

John T

mr g elliott
7th August 2013, 14:26
Fulham was as far as we went on Harry Richardson. You could be right about the football ground - not sure. I remember the berth was a few minutes walk from Fulham Broadway and not much further to the Kings Road, Chelsea - uber trendy at the time, except they didn't say "uber" then.

Also went to Battersea Power station a little bit down river from Fulham and on the other side. Often see the big chimnies on films. I think it's an eyesore that they've given heritage listing to. Not as ugly as the Angel of the North, but getting there.

John T

was on the Battersea and Fulham x your right it was a long time ago happy days gordon

Jacktar1
8th August 2013, 02:25
I was 2nd Mate on the Dame Caroline Haslett way back in the 1950's
running from Barry, S Wales to Battersea and Fulham power stations, with the occasional trip to load at Dunston Staithes. Great times, good crew, good accomodation, good food. Master at that time was Captain Richmond who lived in Barry. Sometimes we had to wait for a berth at the power stations and tied up to the buoys at Cherry Tiers (dont know if I got that correct ! ).
Cheers,
Glan

notnila
8th August 2013, 22:36
After I'd posted my question I googled Fulham Power Station in 1960s,a couple of pix at the end(with a Flattie alongside),showed it exactly next to Craven Cottage Ground.

madbob
18th August 2013, 01:58
Buoys were indeed known as "Cherry Garden Tier". Just a quick boat ashore to the delights of South London. Cant remember the name of the pub which overlooked the river. Too long ago but great times in another life.

Johnny Walker
18th August 2013, 09:59
Buoys were indeed known as "Cherry Garden Tier". Just a quick boat ashore to the delights of South London. Cant remember the name of the pub which overlooked the river. Too long ago but great times in another life.

The pub is probably called the Angel or if you were heading in an easterly direction possibly the Mayflower. If you were to pay a visit to either of them you would still recognise them as they have not changed a great deal over the years(Pint)

madbob
21st August 2013, 00:45
Thanks Johnny. You got the grey matter working, it was indeed the "Angel". Just too handy. The main hazard was negotiating the return jolly boat, trying to avoid falling into the river.