Touareg

juddyroth
4th March 2005, 13:50
Dear all, During the 1940s there was a training ship moored inthe Thames off the Sea Training School at gravesend,can anybody tell me about this ship and maybe someone has a photo or knows where to get one . Cheers to all -JUDDYROTH

julian anstis
4th March 2005, 14:07
Hi there Juddyroth,

I belive the ship you are enquiring about would be TRITON which was moored at the old sea training school quay in Gravesend. I have a picture of her in a book called School for Seamen by ROY DERHAM its the story of the Gravesend Sea School old and new. This book is not available from the shops but must be purchased direct from Roy himself at 21:95 + pp. If you require a copy PM me with your e-mail address and I will send you Roys tel number or if you wish I could scan the picture and send via e-mail. TRITON was only one of many training ships moored on he Thames early last century but TRITON belonged to the Gravesend school.

Hope this help's

Julian

julian anstis
4th March 2005, 14:18
Other training ships on the Thames at this time were........

the EXMOUTH...WORCESTER...ARETHUSA...WARSPITE...HERMIO NE...and the CORNWALL which was formerly the WELLESLEY.

theTRITON was a former survey vessel for the Admiralty launched in 1882 she was a steam paddle steamer of 410tons length145 feet after purchase by the training school her engines and paddles were removed prior to fitting out for training purposes

juddyroth
4th March 2005, 20:26
dear Julian anstis, I dont know what you mean by PM you but I would like the phone no and IF YOU COULD OBLIGE a scan of the photo ...Thanks for your reply,and my email add is:- sailorboy@blueyonder.co.uk -cheers Juddy

DMA
5th March 2005, 01:27
Dear all, During the 1940s there was a training ship moored inthe Thames off the Sea Training School at gravesend,can anybody tell me about this ship and maybe someone has a photo or knows where to get one . Cheers to all -JUDDYROTH
The book you refer can be obtained from The 'Vindicatrix' site..... http://www.vindicatrix-hq.fsnet.co.uk/memorabilia-books.htm