Cunard/Brock Bulkers

john g
4th March 2005, 23:21
I left 1972 last ship Manipur (ex Ivernia) with a promise of 3/eng on the new "Bulkers" being built in Spain .......promise came from a character called Godfrey Place some sort of Cunard bod from a "high place" in the crew dept. Also from then C/E Mike Allport (good bloke) any how I packed it all in after that. Question.....Did the Bulkers ever materialise ? if so what happened to them ?.......Also does anyone know what happened to the two guys I 've mentioned..I seem to recall Mr Place had a "VC" heaven only knows what for ......john g

john g
4th March 2005, 23:34
Maybe we all felt a little aprehensive about the new "dream" and the 6-7-8-9 month trips with the promise of a secure future...not....john g

R798780
5th March 2005, 08:14
Eight bulkers were built. Two were sold early days - the markets, they told us, had gone up and those two brought in a good percentage of the total building costs. They lasted a few years until the bulker market didn't bring in enough cash. Can't recall when they were built, We did a lifeboat transfer of some stores to one in the Persian Gulf when I was on Lumiere in '75. They were anchored there for weeks if not months, happened to a couple. Hugh Evans was their old man (I was sprog on Marurata when he was mate). I did three months on the Cunard Champion in early 1978, left summer '78 when it was sold - that's when they all went.

The fruit boats were a similar story, bought a going fleet of six I think, only lasted a few years. Does anybody remember them?

Other names Cunard Chieftain, .... Carronade, etc. (I'll edit this when more names come back to me)25,000 dwt tons, a Sultzer sewing machine downstairs.

Sailed with Mike Allport on Luminetta, ace chap. He left from Mare Harbour in the Falklands in early '85 to retire.

flyer682
5th March 2005, 10:14
Eight were built by Espanoles in 1972 - 1973. Two were sold in 1974 to Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd. of India - CUNARD CARAVEL becoming JAG SHAKTI and CUNARD CAMPAIGNER becoming JAG SHANTI.
The others were: CUNARD CALAMANDA, CUNARD CARRIER, CUNARD CARRONADE, CUNARD CAVALIER, CUNARD CHAMPION and CUNARD CHIEFTAIN.
I remember seeing the CUNARD CHAMPION at Timaru in December 1977 - were you onboard then Hugh? Unfortunately I never got a photo.
Attached a scan of a page from the Cunard Brocklebank Fleet Movement List dated 6 April 1978 - no doubt some names here that folk will remember. I hope it is readable as I had to reduce the size so it would fit. Note the name of the Chief Officer under CUNARD CHAMPION!! :p
I have more of similar vein if people are interested.

The fruit ships were: ALAUNIA, ALSATIA, ANDANIA, ANDRIA, CARINTHIA, CARMANIA, SAMARIA, SAXONIA, SCYTHIA and SERVIA. All of these came into the Cunard fleet following the collapse of Maritime Fruit Carriers. The SAMARIA was in Timaru in June 1980 loading meat for Russia - again no photo.

R798780
5th March 2005, 13:42
They got ahead of themselves. I left Oloibiri in dec '77, and joined Champion in Brake when she got to the continent in March '78. I could give you the date when I dig the discharge book out again. I was on a course in Southend when I got the hurry up to join two days later in Richards Bay. They seemed awful surprised when I said I had commitments.

michael james
5th March 2005, 23:20
flyer 682, That 1978 movement list really brought back so many names, some more memorable than others,"Butch"Ward, Dave Woolfenden, Jimmy Grant, Tony Briggs, Geoff Kay, Cliff Hicks all of whom I had sailed with at one time or another. I left in `72 so missed a lot of the fun. Thanks for posting that, MikeJ

R798780
6th March 2005, 07:33
That fleet list does bring the memories back, a piece of paper worth a whole lot more to me now than it was then and, yes, I would like/ wouldn't mind seeing a few more, bring more names back. For Michael, Butch Ward did go across to the tankers, but never to Oloibiri. Gordon Ward on the Oloibiri was a Moss Tanker apprentice and never on a brock ship. Sailed with Gordon a lot on Lucerna, Luminetta and Energos, plus a couple early days on Oloibiri.

michael james
6th March 2005, 15:58
For Hugh, Thanks for clearing that up, getting my Wards mixed up, I feel I missed a lot not going onto Moss Tankers when the opportunity arose. MikeJ

R798780
6th March 2005, 17:55
And to cause more mayhem, Davie Ward was chief engineer on Lumiere in '75!

flyer682
7th March 2005, 09:25
I'll dig a few more Lists out and post them over the next few days.

Bill Olaman
25th March 2005, 16:10
This is the same man. Met him in the early 70s on a Moss Tanker - Lucigen/Lumen? I remember him being small and rather non-descript. Heard later about his wartime exploits. He was certainly a brave and from what we gathered modest man.
Any more info on his post war career?

mcook
19th April 2005, 22:05
I left 1972 last ship Manipur (ex Ivernia) with a promise of 3/eng on the new "Bulkers" being built in Spain .......promise came from a character called Godfrey Place some sort of Cunard bod from a "high place" in the crew dept. Also from then C/E Mike Allport (good bloke) any how I packed it all in after that. Question.....Did the Bulkers ever materialise ? if so what happened to them ?.......Also does anyone know what happened to the two guys I 've mentioned..I seem to recall Mr Place had a "VC" heaven only knows what for ......john g

I remember sailing on the 'Lucy' while on the Ras to Jas run around Saudi. This would be in '72.
Godfrey had just been hired on by Cunard as Personnel Officer (a job he didn't hold for long) and he sailed with us for a week to get a feel for things.
He got his VC as a Lt. R.N. He was senior officer on the miniature submarine attack on the Tirpitz in Alta Fjord, Norway. He was captured when his sub sank and spent the remainder of the war as a guest of the German government.
He bought a case of beer for the officer's bar, so he must have been a 'good guy!'

Malcolm Cook

michael james
19th April 2005, 22:27
Saw ex Ch.Eng Mike Alport and his wife Rona at Brocklebank reunion in 1989 but not at the 1993 event.

paulo53
4th September 2005, 18:05
Hi Flyer682,
Whilst an EO for Cunard Cargo Shipping, I sailed on the Samaria an ex-Maritime Fruit Carriers vessel in 1977/78. It was a lovely looking ship, all white with green decks, a blue funnel with a large 'S'. When I rejoined the ship after leave she was painted in the Cunard colours which just didn't do her justice. The engine room was designed to run 18 hours UMS but we never put it to the test. The engine control room was air conditioned which was something I had not experienced before. I have photo's of the control room. The accomodation and cabin's were superb. We took a full load of cars from Hamburg to Houston in Texas and then to Long Beach California. We would then come down the coast to British Honduras, Equador and a few other hot steamy ports picking up banana's, coconuts and other delights. We then sailed around the Mediterranean discharging the cargo. As soon as I have aquired a slide scanner I will upload photo's of the Samaria to the gallery. Bye bye for now.
Paul

Nova Scotian
1st February 2007, 19:05

I sailed on the Cunard Carronade, as 2/0 for about five months in 1973. I joined her in Vancouver where we loaded various grains for Japanese ports. They were different ships and manned by a mix of Port Line, Brocklebank and Cunard officers and Asian GP crew. The regular Master was Philip Pembridge and the Mate was Pete Seymour. I believe the Purser was Keith Franklyn. Having spent two years on the North Atlantic with ACL I found out the North Pacific could be just as miserable in winter.

The thumbnails show the Carronade entering Vancouver in January 1974 and "Pem" in the ship's bar.

Derek Roger
1st February 2007, 23:25
Brocks /Cunard was quite company for having the " Famous " on board in the personnel Dept. I never met Godfrey Place or Douglas Bader but both were active during my watch .
I was told the Douglas Bader visited the Mahout in London and put on a boiler suit and went down the engine room for a look around ( tin leg and all ) . I supose if he could fly a Spitfire it was not really a challenge to him . The crew I understand were very impressed with him .
Understandably .
Derek

Tony Sprigings
6th February 2007, 09:52
For the record. I note references to 'Butch' Ward in the above from Michael James.
'Butch' died in 1974. I went to his funeral at Whitby 3/9/74.
Regards,
Tony S.

Tony Selman
6th February 2007, 11:14
Tony, that is a bit of bad news I did not know about. Butch was Master on Maturata when I was there for two trips in the late 60's and a good man to sail with he was as well. He was too young to have died in 1974.

mcook
6th February 2007, 13:05
Just dredging thogh my Discharge book. I sailed on the Cunard Champion
Aug-October '74. Capt was A.P.Briggs. Can't say I remembered him with any fondness! I also noted that he was the only one to have me listed in the Capacity column as a 'Radio Operator' instead of 'Radio Officer'.
I also sailed on the Cunard Carrier. Joined in Bluff (N.Z.) in April '76 and paid off in Whampoa (China) 4 months later. That was a good trip! Capt. was C.J. (Chris?) Burtinshaw.

pilot
7th February 2007, 11:12
[QUOTE=mcook;106642]Just dredging thogh my Discharge book. I sailed on the Cunard Champion
Aug-October '74. Capt was A.P.Briggs. Can't say I remembered him with any fondness! I also noted that he was the only one to have me listed in the Capacity column as a 'Radio Operator' instead of 'Radio Officer'.

I was 3rd. Mate with A.P.Briggs on Mahseer 1968. Unlike mcook I remember him with fondness. He was one of the most efficient, hardworking Masters I'd sailed with in my early days at sea. He did not however suffer fools gladly if my memory serves me.

Rgds.

saviourmallia
22nd March 2007, 13:35
I was 4th. Eng. on the Cunard Cavilier from October '76 to Feb.'77 on the Japan - New caledonia run. Ch. Eng. was Jimmy Grant (the reason why I start drinking Grant Whisky!). I am Maltese and was known as Sam.

I also spent a short period on the the Cunard Champion whilst she was in Malta Drydocks( 1976) At that time there was another Maltese engineer John Grima (nickname - the sleeoing beauty)

I also sailed with Paulo53 on the Port Aukland.

Sam

saviourmallia
22nd March 2007, 13:38
Port cavalier

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was 4th. Eng. on the Cunard Cavalier from October '76 to Feb.'77 on the Japan - New caledonia run. Ch. Eng. was Jimmy Grant (the reason why I start drinking Grant Whisky!). I am Maltese and was known as Sam.

I also spent a short period on the the Cunard Champion whilst she was in Malta Drydocks (1976) At that time there was another Maltese engineer John Grima (nickname - the sleeping beauty)

john g
27th March 2007, 15:20
I was 4th. Eng. on the Cunard Cavilier from October '76 to Feb.'77 on the Japan - New caledonia run. Ch. Eng. was Jimmy Grant (the reason why I start drinking Grant Whisky!). I am Maltese and was known as Sam.

I also spent a short period on the the Cunard Champion whilst she was in Malta Drydocks( 1976) At that time there was another Maltese engineer John Grima (nickname - the sleeoing beauty)

Sam

Jimmy Grant must have been approaching retirement when you last sailed with him......what were the engines on the bulkers ...Sulzer ? ...john g

trotterdotpom
29th April 2007, 16:07
I encountered a Cunard bulk carrier (can't recall the name) in Surabaya in about 1973. She was held up due to litigation over cargo contamination and had been there for weeks. Something tells me the cargo was copra, but why they would take that to Indonesia I don't know. I thought copra was always contaminated with "bugs" anyway.

I was on SSM's "Cape Clear" at the time, discharging grain from Australia. I recall an hilarious incident in what became known as the "Jungle Bar". Behind the "bar", a collection of old settees, was a section with bunks, each separated by newspaper walls. Presumeably, this was for when the clientel became tired. In the middle of the night the place was raided by Cunard scalliwags who smashed up the paper walls, much to the surprise of the "Cape Clear" boys, some of whom were talking to their new Indonesian friends.

What a laugh that night was! Apparently they were disgruntled about their longterm low prices being inflated by us newcomers. Needless to say, I only heard about this event from someone else.

John T.

Mike Wild
29th October 2007, 13:35
Bit late responding as have just seen your post, but Godfrey Place won the VC in the 2nd World War as skipper of the midget submarine X7 which attacked the Tirpitz in a fjord in Norway.

John Ringrose
28th May 2008, 14:14
I have only just joined the site so very late to reply.

I was sent to the Orchidea when she was bought from MFC. We sailed them to Falmouth whilst still with their old names. There were three of them down in Falmouth in dry dock. Charlie Pratt was on the Iris Queen I can't remember the other one. I know we had the usual party whilst in Falmouth and the nurses and BT Operators turned up and we had to summon everyone from the other ships to make up the numbers.

davemcil
29th May 2008, 16:16
Very late message but anyway. My first ship a junior (aprox 1978) was on the Cunard Carronade which I joined in Port kembler Australia. I did 9 months on her from port kembler - 2 port in Taiwan - 6 weeks around the Philippines islands including manila - repairs in kobi/Japan - Long beach USA - though Panama - all up east coast USA - St john Canada - east coast USA - Breast in France - dry dock in Falmouth where she was sold to the Greeks.
Great first trip none ever as good but still great - next ship with Cunard was the MV Marshala (Old Port Auckland) and we carried 27,000 passengers that all went BAAAAA.
David Mc

Nova Scotian
30th May 2008, 14:20
Very late message but anyway. My first ship a junior (aprox 1978) was on the Cunard Carronade which I joined in Port kembler Australia. I did 9 months on her from port kembler - 2 port in Taiwan - 6 weeks around the Philippines islands including manila - repairs in kobi/Japan - Long beach USA - though Panama - all up east coast USA - St john Canada - east coast USA - Breast in France - dry dock in Falmouth where she was sold to the Greeks.
Great first trip none ever as good but still great - next ship with Cunard was the MV Marshala (Old Port Auckland) and we carried 27,000 passengers that all went BAAAAA.
David Mc

Good Morning Dave:

I am attaching four pictures of the Cunard Carronade which I took when I was 2/0 on her in 1973/4. They are taken with a very cheap Kodak camera.

Carronade 1 Entering Vancouver Harbour
Carronade 2 At the buoy at Kobe
Carronade 3 Rough weather N.Pacific
Carronade 4 Discharging grain at Kobe

I had difficulty getting a quality picture of the Carronade but eventually bought one from Iain Lovie Ship Photographs of New Zealand. I would Email you a copy but for the copywrite implications. However, you may wish to Email him ...he's on the net. The picture I purchased from him was of the Carronade in Vancouver Harbour around 1972. I found the cost very reasonable and the service very quick.

I enjoyed my time on the Carronade and joined with my wife just after we got married. It was quite the "social ship" and a happy ship too. Did the ship's bar still have a name when you were on her? I have been trying to recall it but the gray cells aren't what they used to be.

Cheers.

Nova Scotian

davemcil
1st June 2008, 14:08
Nova Scotian
Thank you very much for the photos. The quality is all I need for my aging Grey cells and far better than I have. Mum said when I left "don't you want a camera" No Mum memory is all I need. "Youth"
I cant remember the name of the Bar but I also found her a very social ship.
Great Girls in Port Kembler when you strike bound.
If I remember any more details I send them to you.
Dave Mc

taffy999
19th September 2008, 19:55
They got ahead of themselves. I left Oloibiri in dec '77, and joined Champion in Brake when she got to the continent in March '78. I could give you the date when I dig the discharge book out again. I was on a course in Southend when I got the hurry up to join two days later in Richards Bay. They seemed awful surprised when I said I had commitments.

I'm new to this site and I hope I am replying correctly. I joined the Cunard Champion in Antwerp April 1978. I'm Chris Edwards and sailed as 2nd Mate

billythekid
22nd August 2011, 11:23
hey all my father was a engineer on this ship in the late 60s & early to mid 70s can any help me with photos or info or was anyone on this ship at the same time

billythekid
22nd August 2011, 11:25
Good Morning Dave:

I am attaching four pictures of the Cunard Carronade which I took when I was 2/0 on her in 1973/4. They are taken with a very cheap Kodak camera.

Carronade 1 Entering Vancouver Harbour
Carronade 2 At the buoy at Kobe
Carronade 3 Rough weather N.Pacific
Carronade 4 Discharging grain at Kobe

I had difficulty getting a quality picture of the Carronade but eventually bought one from Iain Lovie Ship Photographs of New Zealand. I would Email you a copy but for the copywrite implications. However, you may wish to Email him ...he's on the net. The picture I purchased from him was of the Carronade in Vancouver Harbour around 1972. I found the cost very reasonable and the service very quick.

I enjoyed my time on the Carronade and joined with my wife just after we got married. It was quite the "social ship" and a happy ship too. Did the ship's bar still have a name when you were on her? I have been trying to recall it but the gray cells aren't what they used to be.

Cheers.

Nova Scotian

hey nova scotian my father was on this ship around the sametime he was a engineer

Nova Scotian
22nd August 2011, 17:35
hey nova scotian my father was on this ship around the sametime he was a engineer

Hi Billythekid:

What was your dad's name and what rank was he? If I did sail with him the chances are I have some pics of him that I can forward to you.

Cheers.

billythekid
23rd August 2011, 10:17
hey nova scotian his name was william maxwell or could have been known as bill or billy maxwell he sailed for portline & cunard brocklebank from 1965 to 1974 !! on ships like port napier port monteral port phillip cunard corronade & champaigner i beleive he was a 2nd engineer but i would have tocheck !!!

Nova Scotian
23rd August 2011, 11:33
hey nova scotian his name was william maxwell or could have been known as bill or billy maxwell he sailed for portline & cunard brocklebank from 1965 to 1974 !! on ships like port napier port monteral port phillip cunard corronade & champaigner i beleive he was a 2nd engineer but i would have tocheck !!!

I don't recall the name. However, it was a long time ago! I was on the Carronade 2 Nov', 1973 to 6 Apr' ,1974.

Cheers

billythekid
2nd September 2011, 08:54
hey nova scotian just was talking to my father he asked did the carronade still have the cannon in the bar when u were on it and did u known the skippers name

bridegobridge
4th December 2011, 15:09
I encountered a Cunard bulk carrier (can't recall the name) in Surabaya in about 1973. She was held up due to litigation over cargo contamination and had been there for weeks. Something tells me the cargo was copra, but why they would take that to Indonesia I don't know. I thought copra was always contaminated with "bugs" anyway.

I was on SSM's "Cape Clear" at the time, discharging grain from Australia. I recall an hilarious incident in what became known as the "Jungle Bar". Behind the "bar", a collection of old settees, was a section with bunks, each separated by newspaper walls. Presumeably, this was for when the clientel became tired. In the middle of the night the place was raided by Cunard scalliwags who smashed up the paper walls, much to the surprise of the "Cape Clear" boys, some of whom were talking to their new Indonesian friends.

What a laugh that night was! Apparently they were disgruntled about their longterm low prices being inflated by us newcomers. Needless to say, I only heard about this event from someone else.

John T.

Hello,
Have just found this site and read this old post,well talk about a trip down memory lane.
The bulker was the Cunard Campaigner and it was Oct/Nov 1973 and it was her maiden voyage.
The cargo was Copra loaded in Surabaya then the Captain realised it was a hazardous cargo as it was subject to spontaneous combustion under compression and had to be carried in hermetically sealed holds which of course Campaigner did not have,so she sat there for 6 weeks while they argued about it,eventually sailing for Singapore to have the holds sealed and the bottom scraped as she had gotten so much growth sitting in Surabaya that she lost 3 knots speed.Considering that she would not do more than 9-10 knots anyway being underpowered that was a big problem.
I was 5th Eng.joining in Spain for sea trials and the maiden voyage and yes I was one of those Cunard scallywags described in the story,as you said what a laugh that night was, I was one of the ones that did not manage to get away and had to pay for the damage or have my throat cut.
Thanks John for bringing back the memories of those wonderful days of my youth.
Tom.

bridegobridge
4th December 2011, 16:35
hey all my father was a engineer on this ship in the late 60s & early to mid 70s can any help me with photos or info or was anyone on this ship at the same time

Hello,
Have just joined this site today and came across your post.
Billy Maxwell 3rd Eng.Cunard Campaigner 1973 maiden voyage.Australian
6ft to 6ft1inch tall black hair.He was, I think,27 years old .I was 24.
Does that sound like him ??.
If yes ask him about Surabaya and his full and frank discusion with Jim, the 2/E, in the jungle bar.I still remember it Billy told him his fortune in no uncertain terms,or about Singapore when we were coming back to the ship in the liberty boat and Billy climbed out and body surfed by holding on to the fenders,great days.
If this is your Dad then you are a lucky man,I only knew him for 6 months but he is one of those people that you always remember because he was such a good bloke.
When you speak to him ask him if he remembers the Fiver called Tom.
I did the trip in the owners cabin (luxury) because the Fivers cabin had
the A/C unit welded to the bulkhead and it was too noisy to sleep in.

Regards,Tom.

billythekid
6th December 2011, 07:38
Hello,
Have just joined this site today and came across your post.
Billy Maxwell 3rd Eng.Cunard Campaigner 1973 maiden voyage.Australian
6ft to 6ft1inch tall black hair.He was, I think,27 years old .I was 24.
Does that sound like him ??.
If yes ask him about Surabaya and his full and frank discusion with Jim, the 2/E, in the jungle bar.I still remember it Billy told him his fortune in no uncertain terms,or about Singapore when we were coming back to the ship in the liberty boat and Billy climbed out and body surfed by holding on to the fenders,great days.
If this is your Dad then you are a lucky man,I only knew him for 6 months but he is one of those people that you always remember because he was such a good bloke.
When you speak to him ask him if he remembers the Fiver called Tom.
I did the trip in the owners cabin (luxury) because the Fivers cabin had
the A/C unit welded to the bulkhead and it was too noisy to sleep in.

Regards,Tom.

hey tom

yes thats my father & yes i m lucky he is a great man !!!!

just asked him about the things you remembered & he was yeah thats right they were good days. he said jim was i bit of a pain in the ass !!!! he asked if you remember the 4th eng he thinks it was a big guy called john collins, he also asked your last name ?

i ve just started to find some information & pictures for him on line & to put gether for his time at sea he is loving as it is bringing back all these memories his face just lights up !!!! i found some pictures of the portline ships he sailed on, on line & had them blowin up & reprinted gave them to him for his birthday he just stared at them for hours & told stories it was great !!!!!!! more stories & any pictures of you the ships etc would be good if you have any !!! he will be visit on the weekend he is bring down his discharge book !!

thanks for contacting

billy maxwell jnr

trotterdotpom
6th December 2011, 07:55
Welcome to SN Tom. I didn't realise that there were damages to pay ... i'd have thought an old copy of The Observer would have covered it!

John T

bridegobridge
6th December 2011, 17:21
Welcome to SN Tom. I didn't realise that there were damages to pay ... i'd have thought an old copy of The Observer would have covered it!

John T

Hello John,
Not sure about the Observer,maybe page 3 of the Sun would have been more appropriate,thanks for the welcome and thanks for bringing back and being part of those wonderful memories

Tom.

bridegobridge
6th December 2011, 17:50
hey tom

yes thats my father & yes i m lucky he is a great man !!!!

just asked him about the things you remembered & he was yeah thats right they were good days. he said jim was i bit of a pain in the ass !!!! he asked if you remember the 4th eng he thinks it was a big guy called john collins, he also asked your last name ?

i ve just started to find some information & pictures for him on line & to put gether for his time at sea he is loving as it is bringing back all these memories his face just lights up !!!! i found some pictures of the portline ships he sailed on, on line & had them blowin up & reprinted gave them to him for his birthday he just stared at them for hours & told stories it was great !!!!!!! more stories & any pictures of you the ships etc would be good if you have any !!! he will be visit on the weekend he is bring down his discharge book !!

thanks for contacting

billy maxwell jnr

Hello Billy Jnr.,

Well fantastic to hear that it is your dad.My surname is Griffiths,yes I remember John Collins a big lad from Shewsbury,another top bloke.
Does Billy remember the other 3rd (or may have been a 4th) I dont remember his name,but he thought he was in charge so John Collins nicknamed him the second second,the name stuck for the rest of the trip.He kept trying to get me turfed out of the owners cabin as he said as senior man he should have it and I should have his,didnt work though.
Yes Jim was a pain,
I have pictures of Cunard Campaigner and I am fairly sure there will be at least 1 or 2 of Billy.Just moving house and I got the photos out of the attic where they have been for nearly 40 years,my daughter took them to sort through so I will ask her to go through them and look for the Campaigner ones.
Ask Billy if he remembers the Spanish ship yard C/Eng.that sailed with us and the incident in Singapore when he nearly sank us !!.

Take care,
Tom.

Nick Jones
7th December 2011, 22:30
Tom,
John Collins did his first trip with us on the Matra, he'd served his time at the Sentinel Diesel works in Shrewsbury, big lad but a nice guy.
cheers,
Nick Jones.

billythekid
9th December 2011, 07:59
Hello Billy Jnr.,

Well fantastic to hear that it is your dad.My surname is Griffiths,yes I remember John Collins a big lad from Shewsbury,another top bloke.
Does Billy remember the other 3rd (or may have been a 4th) I dont remember his name,but he thought he was in charge so John Collins nicknamed him the second second,the name stuck for the rest of the trip.He kept trying to get me turfed out of the owners cabin as he said as senior man he should have it and I should have his,didnt work though.
Yes Jim was a pain,
I have pictures of Cunard Campaigner and I am fairly sure there will be at least 1 or 2 of Billy.Just moving house and I got the photos out of the attic where they have been for nearly 40 years,my daughter took them to sort through so I will ask her to go through them and look for the Campaigner ones.
Ask Billy if he remembers the Spanish ship yard C/Eng.that sailed with us and the incident in Singapore when he nearly sank us !!.

Take care,
Tom.

hello tom

just sitting hear with the old man talking about those days on the ships he remembers the spanish c/eng but can t remember he did to nearly sink the ship he thinks i was something to do with the vavles, he remembers racing around town in surabaya with john collins in the rickshaws & ended up in monsoon ditch !!!!!

after the campaigner he was on the carronade with john collins, dad missed the liberty boat kobe japan, & the water taxi was too expensive so he stripped down to his underwear & swam out much to the suprise of the india 1/4 master as he climbed up the ladder by this stage he had even takin off his underwear !! he left his room key on the dock with his pants & shirt so he could get in his room so he spent the nite in pilot cab. mean while some seen him jump in off the dock so the water police came out to the boat looking for him with his clothes & room key !!!!!
dad asked where in england you are from ? i will try to get photo after xmas of dad of his portline days & of him now & email it !

take care hope all is going well with the moving

billy jnr

bridegobridge
9th December 2011, 14:09
Tom,
John Collins did his first trip with us on the Matra, he'd served his time at the Sentinel Diesel works in Shrewsbury, big lad but a nice guy.
cheers,
Nick Jones.

Hello Nick,
Thanks for that,yes a really nice man and a fantastic sense of humour.

tom.

bridegobridge
9th December 2011, 14:39
hello tom

just sitting hear with the old man talking about those days on the ships he remembers the spanish c/eng but can t remember he did to nearly sink the ship he thinks i was something to do with the vavles, he remembers racing around town in surabaya with john collins in the rickshaws & ended up in monsoon ditch !!!!!

after the campaigner he was on the carronade with john collins, dad missed the liberty boat kobe japan, & the water taxi was too expensive so he stripped down to his underwear & swam out much to the suprise of the india 1/4 master as he climbed up the ladder by this stage he had even takin off his underwear !! he left his room key on the dock with his pants & shirt so he could get in his room so he spent the nite in pilot cab. mean while some seen him jump in off the dock so the water police came out to the boat looking for him with his clothes & room key !!!!!
dad asked where in england you are from ? i will try to get photo after xmas of dad of his portline days & of him now & email it !

take care hope all is going well with the moving

billy jnr

Hello Billy,
Spot on about the spanish chief, while we were having the bottom scraped in Singapore he decided that we would clean the sea chest strainers only the valves would not seal so he had the divers put plywood over the intakes.I was then detailed to help him take the strainers out so I was sitting on the plates undoing the cover and the sea water was coming in faster and faster,I kept telling him that the ply was not sealing but he was having none of it and just kept waving his arms about and saying take the nuts off the top cover.
This was of course before the days of health and safety and being young you did what the C/E said,I got to 3 nuts left and when I removed 1 more the plate sprung up and most of the water in Singapore harbour tried to get in to the engine room,luckily the other two nuts held and we managed to force the cover back down with big bars and by getting 1 nut at a time back on,it took some time and by the time we finished the bilges were almost full to plate level.
By the time I came out of the engine room I was whiter than my boiler suit.
Yes I remember being in the storm drain with Collins on the Rickshaw race,It was on the short stretch of dual carraigeway by the football stadium.Dual carraigway could be slightly misleading as it was 2 lanes of tarmac with a kerb in the middle,we used to stop there and get roasted corn cobs.
PM me your Email if you want and I will try to sort the photos,I will see my daughter at Xmas so will go through them.
Not sure we should see each other as we are now,in my minds eye Billy and John are young men !!!.Forever young.(Gleam) just kidding as of course I look exactly the same.(*))
Does the old man use a computer ??.

Take care,Tom