Capt Longmire

universalskipper
23rd May 2007, 03:43
Sorry, not good remembering full name. I was mate n sailed with him on the Straits/Aussie liner service in "Golden Summer" He was already past 60+s in 1970 n believes he retired in Perth WA thereafter. An "old salt n experienced China coast Master" if there was one. Anyone knew him?

vic pitcher
23rd May 2007, 09:49
Sorry, not good remembering full name. Was mate n sailed with him on the Straits/Aussie liner service in "Golden Summer" He was already past 60+s in 1970 n believes he retired in Perth WA thereafter. An "old salt n experienced China coast Master" if there was one. Anyone knew him?

Yes, I knew him and sailed with him in Manners. The famous Lt.Cdr J.H. Longmire (Jack) was RINVR during the war and involved in the Bombay Explosion "Fort Stikine" He was called to the jetty-side and was making a phone call when the "Fort Stikine" went up. He was later discovered alive in a cart full of bodies.

I sailed with him as 2nd Mate in "East Breeze" in 1961 when the Mate was the renegade perpretrator of the "Geologist"-"Sunprincess" tragedy in 1955 sailing under false pretences as his "ticket" had been cancelled. At that time Jack's home was in Wickepin WA.

There is a site on the "Bombay Explosion" that you can "Google" I had a posting on it and through it made contact with Jack's son in Australia who told me that Jack had retired to a "hobby farm" in WA somewhere and died some time in the early nineties.

universalskipper
23rd May 2007, 15:58
Thanks. Thats him alright n the explosion probably caused his jaw "shaken somewhat". Good mentor & used to talk lots of his hobby farm. May he RIP.