Benledi model kit

roymuir
23rd May 2007, 23:22
For anyone interested there is a Revell kit of Benledi on Ebay today for 7 quid.
I managed to pick one up from Belgium last week.

Regards, Roy.

purserjuk
24th May 2007, 10:10
This kit is also available as the Italian "Da Noli" - cannot remember owner's name though.

Willie Mac
24th May 2007, 20:46
Hi Roy

I bought a model of the Benledi in 1971. Its still in its plastic wrapping in the original box. The price ticket on the box says TRADEMARKET 1.11, so a price tag of 7 quid thirty five years later seems like a good buy.

According to a pay slip from 1971 when I bought the model I was on the fantastic wage of 1.50 per day which means I spent a whole days wages on that one model. Must have just payed off with a few bob in my pocket.

Regards
Willie Mac

For anyone interested there is a Revell kit of Benledi on Ebay today for 7 quid.
I managed to pick one up from Belgium last week.

Regards, Roy.

roymuir
24th May 2007, 22:15
G'day Willie, by the looks of things they certainly weren't cheap in their day.
I just got hold of one for 6 Euros but I have seen them reach 35 Quid on Ebay.

Regards, Roy.

roymuir
25th May 2007, 01:38
There is another one on Ebay now for 19 Euros.

Regards, Roy.

Jeffers
25th May 2007, 11:53
I remember having that kit and building it many years ago. As I recall I was very impressed with the look of the ship, she seemed very modern. No idea now what happened to it, probably got thrown out years ago.

I used to have quite a collection of mostly Airfix models that I had assembled over the years. Starting with my early efforts when I couldn't be bothered with being methodical and doing all the proper painting, I just wanted to see what the completed kit looked like. I got a lot better later on, taking time to do the bits of pre-assembly and painting, and actually reading all the instructions through before starting! I was quite proud of some of my efforts, but they're now all long gone, they didn't survive marriages and various house moves. Can't seem to find the time to do them these days, I've got a partially completed Tamiya kit of a 1/12th Porche that I have literally had for 20 odd years. It's sat under the bed in the spare room, the missus keeps trying to convince me to throw it out, but I still harbour the probably vain hope that I might finish it some day!

Steve Hodges
17th March 2014, 14:02
Hello to you Ben Line blokes from an ex-BP engineer! I have just manged to lay my hands on this kit and will soon be starting it.
Question:- The instructions tell me to paint the decks black - is this correct? From photos I have found they look more like dark grey. And were all decks this colour?One photo seems to show the boat and bridge decks as green.
The class certainly were very handsome vessels, probably at the peak of British cargo liner design.

binliner
17th March 2014, 15:51
I am sure most decks were green but no doubt some one will correct me if my memories are failing.

john fraser
17th March 2014, 18:28
Usually the boat decks and bridge decks were green and main deck black. There could have been timber decks in the swimming pool area.I remember the Benlawers had all grey decks when we left the shipbuilders yard

brooksy
17th March 2014, 20:35
Built that kit when i was on Bp tanker

ernhelenbarrett
18th March 2014, 06:45
Did the later Ben Line vessels still have the "grainwork" panels on the outside accommodation bulwarks like on the old Benalbanach, , Liberties BenVrackie and Bendoran, Bencruachan and BenVorlich of the 50's, The N0.3 and N0.2 Painters did the background work but only the N0.1 Painter did the Grainwork and Thistles in each corner. We used to get people coming onboard and tapping
the panelling thinking it was WOOD!!!!
Ern Barrett

john fraser
18th March 2014, 08:08
Did the later Ben Line vessels still have the "grainwork" panels on the outside accommodation bulwarks like on the old Benalbanach, , Liberties BenVrackie and Bendoran, Bencruachan and BenVorlich of the 50's, The N0.3 and N0.2 Painters did the background work but only the N0.1 Painter did the Grainwork and Thistles in each corner. We used to get people coming onboard and tapping
the panelling thinking it was WOOD!!!!
Ern Barrett

Ern. We had it on Bengloe and Benlawers

Steve Hodges
18th March 2014, 13:25
Usually the boat decks and bridge decks were green and main deck black. There could have been timber decks in the swimming pool area.I remember the Benlawers had all grey decks when we left the shipbuilders yard

Cheers, John. Can you - or anyone else - remember what colour the anchor windlass and mooring winches were? Somehow the tan colour of the cargo gear doesn't seem right.

john fraser
18th March 2014, 17:01
Anchor windlass and mooring winches were grey along with the cargo winches