Name this BB / hello from SoulRaver

SoulRaver
24th May 2007, 09:58
Hi,

Long story short, was on Google maps looking at the 'mothball' fleets picking my brain ID'n the hulls and I ran across this one:

39° 89' - 75° 18' (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?q=39.89,-75.18&num=10&ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=115669029991670810242.00000112bd03fbc37b247&ll=39.89344,-75.18734&spn=0.003153,0.005021&t=k&z=18&om=1)

It's a BB class for sure, and I first thought it had to be an Iowa; 3 main triple turrets. However this one has the ol 40mm AAA turrets still in place and none of the Iowa-class retrofits (Tomahawk launchers, etc.). All the Iowas got them right?

And She seems a tad sleeker on on the overall beam.

So who is She?

Edit: Drats... just noticed that I posted in the wrong category, soz about that. Feel free to move me to "U.S. Navy" Admin

BlythSpirit
24th May 2007, 11:01
Sorry its not a BB - it is the heavy cruiser USS Des Moines, (CA-134), at the US Navy Breakers Yard near Philidelphia, this ship is no longer there it has been towed to Texas for scrapping. Have a look on Google Earth and there is a thread about it - or check here (http://www.ussdesmoines.com/Boone.html) for some photos of here alongside.

SoulRaver
24th May 2007, 11:33
Cheers m8,

Good thing I didn't place that wager with my buddies! LOL. Those 40mm way aft and the one 5" above main turret #2 got me so sure of a BB, tho those line where a tad slim.

Thx again

R58484956
24th May 2007, 19:46
Greetings Soulraver and welcome to the site of SN. Enjoy the experience and bon voyage.

Gulpers
25th May 2007, 06:40
SoulRaver,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy the SN experience and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Good to see that you have already had your first query answered.
Keep 'em coming - it's not often our members are beaten! (Applause)

Steve Woodward
1st June 2007, 20:37
Definitely not a BB - no BB ever had twin 5" C38's on the Centre line, from the design and position of the ship this is the Daisy Mae (Des Moines), an easy mistake given the size of the DM class, they were 717 feet long by 77 wide, an Iowa was 887 by 108 - not a great difference

Abbeywood.
20th June 2010, 07:20
During the 1970's or '80's, perhaps even earlier, one of this class suffered a breech explosion in one of the main turrets, (No 2/ 'B' turret. ?) resulting in several fatalities.
While the turret innards were repaired, the gun in question was never repaired, or replaced, thus reducing the main armament down to eight effective pieces, while maintaining the appearance of nine.
The ship was not the 'Missouri' and I dont think it was 'New Jersey' either, so that only leaves 'Iowa' and 'Wisconsin' and I'm inclined towards the 'Iowa'. Now which is it ?. Help !

John Cassels
20th June 2010, 09:33
Think it was the Iowa , early '80's.
US navy first thought that Hartwig was to blame but although correct cause of the explosion was never really determined , an over ram of the powder bags was most
likely cause.

Abbeywood.
20th June 2010, 11:08
Think it was the Iowa , early '80's.
US navy first thought that Hartwig was to blame but although correct cause of the explosion was never really determined , an over ram of the powder bags was most
likely cause.

Thanks be to JC, jnr.
Abbeywood

Davesdream
4th July 2010, 06:47
The ship in the photo is not a BB, but instead it's a Newport Class LST. As to the name i do not know.

Regrads
Dave

Klaatu83
9th July 2010, 14:28
The ship in the photo is not a BB, but instead it's a Newport Class LST. As to the name i do not know.

Regrads
Dave

You're right about it being one of the Newport-class LSTs. They're the only Navy ships that have that peculiar arrangement of twin bowsprits projecting way out over the bow. They were used to pull out and support the embarkation ramp.

Abbeywood.
10th July 2010, 14:29
During the Hurricanes, (Katrina & Rita), of recent past, the 'Alabama', then operating as a floating museum at Mobile, AL., broke adrift from her moorings and suffered damage, I think, from striking the 'Gato' class submarine 'Drum', (SS 228) which also formed psrt of the exhibition centre. Further, the BB also, I'm led to believe, took the ground.
Can any knowledgeable 'chappie' throw any light on the present status of each/either of these ships.

Captain J
12th August 2010, 06:02
During the 1970's or '80's, perhaps even earlier, one of this class suffered a breech explosion in one of the main turrets, (No 2/ 'B' turret. ?) resulting in several fatalities.
While the turret innards were repaired, the gun in question was never repaired, or replaced, thus reducing the main armament down to eight effective pieces, while maintaining the appearance of nine.
The ship was not the 'Missouri' and I dont think it was 'New Jersey' either, so that only leaves 'Iowa' and 'Wisconsin' and I'm inclined towards the 'Iowa'. Now which is it ?. Help !

The ship was USS Iowa and the turret explosion in Turret II occurred on April 19, 1989. 47 people were killed. The true cause has never been found.

The gun itself was undamaged and the turret was partially repaired. When she was in Cat B all necessary equipment to complete repairs were stored in Turret II. Not sure about that now that she's in Cat X.

Finally, the partial repair of turret 2 was sufficient that all 3 guns could be fired in full manual local mode. This was never done, and Turret II was never used post explosion.

Captain J
12th August 2010, 06:03
During the Hurricanes, (Katrina & Rita), of recent past, the 'Alabama', then operating as a floating museum at Mobile, AL., broke adrift from her moorings and suffered damage, I think, from striking the 'Gato' class submarine 'Drum', (SS 228) which also formed psrt of the exhibition centre. Further, the BB also, I'm led to believe, took the ground.
Can any knowledgeable 'chappie' throw any light on the present status of each/either of these ships.

Nope, she did not break her moorings. She did develop a slight list, which IIRC has since been corrected. AFAIK no significant damage occurred to any of the naval ships/subs.

Union Jack
12th August 2010, 10:41
Welcome on board, Captain J, and many thanks for bringing us up to date on these two interesting matters.

Jack

Captain J
13th August 2010, 05:50
Welcome on board, Captain J, and many thanks for bringing us up to date on these two interesting matters.

Jack

Thanks. I joined a couple of years ago, just never posted. Anyway cheers.

Union Jack
13th August 2010, 15:30
Captain J

Your first post was worth waiting for so don't keep us waiting so long for the next one!(Thumb)

Jack

Abbeywood.
15th August 2010, 06:47
Nope, she did not break her moorings. She did develop a slight list, which IIRC has since been corrected. AFAIK no significant damage occurred to any of the naval ships/subs.

Greetings and many thanks for bring me up to date, (postings 13/14).
Flying the US flag you should prove a valuable source of information from the former 'colony', on matters nautical.
I look forward to further contributions from your good self, now that you have broken your self-imposed posting ban.
All the very best, Abbeywood.