sir francis chichester.............port line

sparkie2182
25th May 2007, 00:57
does anyone recollect sir francis sailing as passenger on p.l. ships???

sparkie2182

Dave Spencer
26th May 2007, 12:26
I think Sir Francis Chichester and his good lady sailed outward bound to New Zealand on the Port Nelson in the late 60`s

Dartmouth Mariner
27th May 2007, 23:01
Sir Francis and Lady Chichester were passengers on Port Nelson (Capt. Hunt), sailing from London to NZ at the end of January 1968. Trip was via Panama, Apia, Suva and Lautoka to New Plymouth. Arrived New Plymouth one Sunday afternoon to be greeted by what seemed like the entire town waiting on the quayside. They had even mustered one of the last Gypsy Moth aircraft in the Southern Hemisphere to circle the ship. Sir Francis wasn't disposed to get involved, and it was about two hours after arrival before he would go out and give a wave to the assembled crowd.

slick
28th May 2007, 10:21
All,
Then, there is no truth in the story that when Sir Francis had completed his circumnavigation someone thought it would be a good idea that he join the Cape Horners Association which was based (I believe) in Hamburg.
He was asked how many times he had been round Cape Horn, "Once", he replied.
"Come back when you have done it fifteen more times", was the stern reply.
As I said I cannot vouch for the veracity.
Yours aye,
Slick

superyacht
18th April 2008, 13:33
If you go to the website www.gipsymothcollection.com, he also sailed on the Bremmen and the port Nelson - There are photos on the website

All the best

Tony