Donald Thomson, Bosun

Sauce
25th May 2007, 19:13
I'm writing this on behalf of my uncle that isn't familiar with computers. Just to see if anyone recalls him and maybe to pass a message to and fro. He was a with NZSC from 53-72 Some of the vessels he was on were Wairangi, Middlesex ( which he did a few trips on between 56 & 59), Pipriki, Whangaroa, Piako, ( 64-69) Tekoa and the Manapouri. I have specific dates for when he was on these vessels. I'm sure he would more than happy to here from anyone that he sailed with just to say hello.
I've heard a few entertaining stories myself from his sea days so maybe there are people out there that will remember him. He's from the Isle of Lewis Scotland.

john609
26th May 2007, 04:10
hi my name is john broughton i am a new member i saw your post ,i sailed with n.z.shipping co 1960to1970 in the tekoa,glouster.westmorland,hurunui.deven thought you might be intrested i now live in nz and still at sea on a container ship.
john(Thumb)

non descript
26th May 2007, 08:26
John, as it is your first post, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your further postings. Bon Voyage.

non descript
26th May 2007, 08:28
Sauce, may I offer the same warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your further postings, hopefully with news of your Uncle. Bon Voyage.

Sauce
26th May 2007, 08:41
hi my name is john broughton i am a new member i saw your post ,i sailed with n.z.shipping co 1960to1970 in the tekoa,glouster.westmorland,hurunui.deven thought you might be intrested i now live in nz and still at sea on a container ship.
john(Thumb)

Hi john thanks for replying, Donald was on the tekoa in 1970 as Bosun. I was on the container ships myself when i was a cadet ( Blue star ) was in NZ frequently. beautiful place.

dolan
2nd July 2007, 21:02
Hi,
Donald (Ginger) Thomson lives 28 miles from me and is married to my first cousin.He is retired of course and no doubt would like to know the name of your uncle.I see Donald often.
Dolan

gdynia
3rd July 2007, 04:24
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

Tom Haywood
4th July 2007, 04:25
Hi Sauce

Yes I sailed with your uncle on the Piako in 1969 and we were on the Manz Run. Regret that I can't remember him but the meomory is not as sharp as it used to be. I was the 1st Refrig Eng on the Piako.
The old man was Slasher Sladen, Chief Officer Bosworth, the Carpenter was R Rodger, storekeeper D MacLeod.
I will post the complete crew list in the forum postings.

BeerSailor
10th July 2007, 23:46
Sailed with Donald Piako 1968, Aust/NZ. A fine seaman well respected by the crew. I stand to be corrected but seem to remember several of the crowd came from Barra, Donald's home?

sandals
7th August 2007, 23:23
Hi there, was deck boy on the Piako in 1964, and on my second trip, Donald or Dan as we knew him was the bosun. He was excellent and well thought off. One of the things that sticks in my mind from all those years ago, was when he used to come up to the bridge every morning to check with the mate on the days jobs, he used to say "morning chief" and walk to the opposite wing of the bridge that the mate was on. Just showing who was really in charge,brilliant. He certainly was the best bosun I ever sailed with, and I hope he is well and enjoying life. Sandals.
He may remember me as Sandy, a wee stroppy Glasgow boy!!!

julianne
28th June 2011, 03:00
i do remember the bosun,couldn,t remeber his name though.I had been awol in melbourne in september 1969,and the cheif steward,joe bosworth had changed the lock on my cabin door!We had built a bar at the rear of the cabins,and on informing don that i wanted to jump ship,he came down from the bar with paul mason,let me into my cabin,and 4 of us went ashore by taxi with all my gear,still got all the lp records!!Iwas the "tiger" to slasher sladen,and boy could i tell some stories about what he used to get up to in some ports! I married the girl i jumped ship for,still married to julianne,and still in melbourne.Paul mason lives in bay of islands near auckland,will try to upload photo,s when i work my way around,good site skipper!!!!!!

NZSCOTTY
28th June 2011, 06:28
Tekoa Feb till Oct 68 if that helps as 3rd mate

alex page
1st July 2011, 23:38
I was the sparks on the piako in 1965 and I remember him .His best mate was the lamptrimmer but I can't remember his name .He had the ship looking like a yacht.

chris james
20th October 2012, 22:25
apart from nzs was donald with p&o ?

Kenny MacRitchie
18th December 2013, 13:33
Hi,
Donald (Ginger) Thomson lives 28 miles from me and is married to my first cousin.He is retired of course and no doubt would like to know the name of your uncle.I see Donald often.
Dolan
Hi I have been made aware recently that poor Donald is now in a vegetable state after a stroke and is not aware of anything or anybody around him
Kenny