cunardbrock act2/6 and acl atlantic ships

sparkie2182
27th May 2007, 22:39
anyone sail on the act2 ........ act 6.......or atlantic conveyor (sadly lost in the falklands conflict.......or the atlantic causeway??????????

sparkie2182

Nova Scotian
28th May 2007, 07:00
Hi:

Sailed on the Atlantic Conveyor in 1972-4 as 2/0 under Captains Des Landes, Bull, O'Brien and North. Married a Nova Scotian in 1974 and have lived in the Halifax area ever since. The R/O's I sailed with were Melcom MacLean and Melcom ? The Conveyor was a great ship to sail on. Even though her replacement still calls here, it's sad to see she no longer dispays the red ensign.

Cheers

Philthechill
28th May 2007, 08:06
Two very "Interesting" ships!!I stood-by "Conveyor" as J3E (GZMM I believe for your, as a Sparkie, delectation!!!! "Causeway" being GZML, I think) in Swan-Hunters whilst she was fitting-out with the aim of sailing on her when completed. Malcolm McLean was Chief Sparks and his was the car we used to get from our "digs" in Whitley Bay ("Grab a Grannie" on Tuesday nights in The Rex! Excellent stuff!!!) every morning. Charlie Dickens was Chief, Tony Dick 2nd. Billy Don Chief Steward, "Reggie" Venn Old Man, Jack McGuire Electrician are a few of the stalwarts I recall. However I was suddenly removed from standing-by "Conveyor" and fired-off to sail on "Causeway". Two Foster-Wheeler roof-fired boilers, propelling the ships at up to 25kts., working at 900 p.s.i. and 950F superheat certainly kept your attention focussed!!! Electrical power was supplied by two miniscule AEI turbines spinning at 12500 rpm geared down to turn the alternators at 3500 revs. Emergency power (frequently used too!!) was from two Rolls-Royce V-8 driven machines. Main-engines were, too, AEI. They were quite advanced ships, engine-room wise, being highly automated. The automation was pneumatic rather than electronic, as would be the case in modern ships, and could give rise to all kinds of problems as anyone who sailed on these ships will bear out! When things "fell-over" in the engine-room they did so very rapidly and in a very spectacular way as all the valves were programmed to either fail-safe "Shut" or fail-safe "Open". Two of my abiding memories (nightmares more like!!!) were when one of the Weirs TWL boiler-feed-pumps exploded on "Causeway" meaning we had to wait in Halifax (met a most charming girl there from the YWCA, Anne-Marie ?, at one of the ensuing parties we had, whilst waiting for a new feed-pump to be flown out from Glasgow, but that's another story) as we only had one working feed-pump as one of the two others had a broken turbine-spindle. We eventually got the repairs carried-out and proceeded on the tight schedule these ships had to maintain. The second incident was on "Conveyor" and happened just after leaving Bremerhaven. We were near-enough flat-out (around 24kts.) when we suffered loss of water in both boilers for whatever reason escapes me now (maybe a de-aerator problem, it happened quite frequently) and the safeties lifted. This would have been quite normal and apart from a lot of noise from the vents at the top of the funnel wouldn't have meant a great deal. However the for'd boiler safety kept opening then slamming shut, opening/slamming shut very rapidly setting-up a (we thought at the time anyway!!) rapidly-increasing vibration cycle which ended abruptly when the safety valve parted company with the main steam-pipe it was mounted on! Luckily for all us engineers we were ensconced in the Control Room and were in no danger from the scalding steam and water flying around about twenty feet away from us!! All we could see through the Control Room windows was pieces of lagging flying past in a dense fog of "flashed-off" steam!!! The noise, however, was absolutely horrendous and sounded like Concorde taking-off. Once the boiler had emptied itself "Russ" Gordon (Chief) "volunteered" me to go out of the Control Room and see if I could see what had happened to cause all the mayhem. Needless to say he didn't believe me when I told him the safety-valve had "fallen-off"!!!!! We limped back to Bremerhaven where the safety-valve was welded back on and then proceeded on our merry way once more. Oh yes! Then there was the time we were at anchor, off Anglesey, waiting for a "hooley" to blow itself out. We, all hands, apart from the watchkeepers, were in the bar having a chota peg or two when I noticed the lights ashore were starting to move across my line of vision. I said to Tony Dick, "Looks like we're picking-up the hook and going in". Tony said something to the effect, "I told Charlie (the 4th. whose name escapes me but bore an uncanny resemblance to Charlie Drake, the comedian, hence "Charlie") to give me a shout when we went to Stand-bye!" and promptly phoned the Control Room to see what 'the score' was. Charlie informed Tony that nothing was happening. By this time the ship was vibrating markedly and it was obvious we were moving. Tony shouted "Come on Phil!" and we headed for the Control Room---rapidly!!! Arriving there we found 'Charlie' engrossed in a t*t-book and both engines on nearly 40 rpm! Steam-pressure was rapidly falling as there was only one burner 'in'. Both engine-control levers were still in the 'Stop engines' format and 'Autoblast' engaged! Tony and I raced down to the starting-platform and started closing the main steam-valves to the turbines (around 100 turns on each spindle!!) By the time we got them shut it was too late, we had lost both anchors! Because of this loss we were not allowed to dock in Liverpool but had to go straight to Gothenburg. 'Charlie' was as popular as a dose of crabs as all our wives were waiting in Liverpool! The Company had given them permission to join the ship there and go to G'burg with us and then fly home as a special treat!!! Yes! "Interesting" ships!!!!

sparkie2182
28th May 2007, 21:43
i was 2/r/o on the conveyor mid 70s..........c/r/o/ malkie maclean.

master was brian obrian from freckleton...on the fylde....near blackpool.

choff was john cooper

tragically.......captain obrian retired from the cunard.......and presumably not settling ashore too well.........took a vessel called the mark from uk (falmouth?) to italy, and was lost in biscay during a dreadfull blow on a new years eve in the late 70s/early 80s. i cannot be too sure of the details, as i saw the report on northwest t.v. news at the time.

a sad end.........but he died at sea........so a fitting one.

any further details would be welcome..............

sparkie2182

R798780
28th May 2007, 22:14
The Choffs standing by Conveyor in building were John Cooper and Colin Croall. Sailed with Colin on Lucerna when he was Master. During the stand-by I announced my wedding date and the little feet didn't touch the ground. Under a week later I was deep sea on Makrana.

Derek Roger
28th May 2007, 22:30
i was 2/r/o on the conveyor mid 70s..........c/r/o/ malkie maclean.

master was brian obrian from freckleton...on the fylde....near blackpool.

choff was john cooper

tragically.......captain obrian retired from the cunard.......and presumably not settling ashore too well.........took a vessel called the mark from uk (falmouth?) to italy, and was lost in biscay during a dreadfull blow on a new years eve in the late 70s/early 80s. i cannot be too sure of the details, as i saw the report on northwest t.v. news at the time.

a sad end.........but he died at sea........so a fitting one.

any further details would be welcome..............

sparkie2182

Sad to hear of Captain Brian O'Brian . I sailed with him on Mahsud when I was 2nd Engineer . I have 1 picture of he and I together in the Ch/Eng cabin which I shall post for those of you who remember him . He was a fine man.
Derek

Jim S
28th May 2007, 22:36
Phil,
I was very interested to read that you sailed with Tony Dick. He was one of the first 2/Engs I met when I joined Brocks. Did a couple of coastals with him and then did 3 trips on Magdapur with him. A few years ago I decided to call him - I knew he had moved to Marske-on-Sea when he got married and was shocked to hear from his wife that he was dead. From Derek Rogers I found out that Jake Donnelly the Chief (and great pal of Tony) on these three trips had also died.
Two very "Interesting" ships!!I stood-by "Conveyor" as J3E (GZMM I believe for your, as a Sparkie, delectation!!!! "Causeway" being GZML, I think) in Swan-Hunters whilst she was fitting-out with the aim of sailing on her when completed. Malcolm McLean was Chief Sparks and his was the car we used to get from our "digs" in Whitley Bay ("Grab a Grannie" on Tuesday nights in The Rex! Excellent stuff!!!) every morning. Charlie Dickens was Chief, Tony Dick 2nd. Billy Don Chief Steward, "Reggie" Venn Old Man, Jack McGuire Electrician are a few of the stalwarts I recall. However I was suddenly removed from standing-by "Conveyor" and fired-off to sail on "Causeway". Two Foster-Wheeler roof-fired boilers, propelling the ships at up to 25kts., working at 900 p.s.i. and 950F superheat certainly kept your attention focussed!!! Electrical power was supplied by two miniscule AEI turbines spinning at 12500 rpm geared down to turn the alternators at 3500 revs. Emergency power (frequently used too!!) was from two Rolls-Royce V-8 driven machines. Main-engines were, too, AEI. They were quite advanced ships, engine-room wise, being highly automated. The automation was pneumatic rather than electronic, as would be the case in modern ships, and could give rise to all kinds of problems as anyone who sailed on these ships will bear out! When things "fell-over" in the engine-room they did so very rapidly and in a very spectacular way as all the valves were programmed to either fail-safe "Shut" or fail-safe "Open". Two of my abiding memories (nightmares more like!!!) were when one of the Weirs TWL boiler-feed-pumps exploded on "Causeway" meaning we had to wait in Halifax (met a most charming girl there from the YWCA, Anne-Marie ?, at one of the ensuing parties we had, whilst waiting for a new feed-pump to be flown out from Glasgow, but that's another story) as we only had one working feed-pump as one of the two others had a broken turbine-spindle. We eventually got the repairs carried-out and proceeded on the tight schedule these ships had to maintain. The second incident was on "Conveyor" and happened just after leaving Bremerhaven. We were near-enough flat-out (around 24kts.) when we suffered loss of water in both boilers for whatever reason escapes me now (maybe a de-aerator problem, it happened quite frequently) and the safeties lifted. This would have been quite normal and apart from a lot of noise from the vents at the top of the funnel wouldn't have meant a great deal. However the for'd boiler safety kept opening then slamming shut, opening/slamming shut very rapidly setting-up a (we thought at the time anyway!!) rapidly-increasing vibration cycle which ended abruptly when the safety valve parted company with the main steam-pipe it was mounted on! Luckily for all us engineers we were ensconced in the Control Room and were in no danger from the scalding steam and water flying around about twenty feet away from us!! All we could see through the Control Room windows was pieces of lagging flying past in a dense fog of "flashed-off" steam!!! The noise, however, was absolutely horrendous and sounded like Concorde taking-off. Once the boiler had emptied itself "Russ" Gordon (Chief) "volunteered" me to go out of the Control Room and see if I could see what had happened to cause all the mayhem. Needless to say he didn't believe me when I told him the safety-valve had "fallen-off"!!!!! We limped back to Bremerhaven where the safety-valve was welded back on and then proceeded on our merry way once more. Oh yes! Then there was the time we were at anchor, off Anglesey, waiting for a "hooley" to blow itself out. We, all hands, apart from the watchkeepers, were in the bar having a chota peg or two when I noticed the lights ashore were starting to move across my line of vision. I said to Tony Dick, "Looks like we're picking-up the hook and going in". Tony said something to the effect, "I told Charlie (the 4th. whose name escapes me but bore an uncanny resemblance to Charlie Drake, the comedian, hence "Charlie") to give me a shout when we went to Stand-bye!" and promptly phoned the Control Room to see what 'the score' was. Charlie informed Tony that nothing was happening. By this time the ship was vibrating markedly and it was obvious we were moving. Tony shouted "Come on Phil!" and we headed for the Control Room---rapidly!!! Arriving there we found 'Charlie' engrossed in a t*t-book and both engines on nearly 40 rpm! Steam-pressure was rapidly falling as there was only one burner 'in'. Both engine-control levers were still in the 'Stop engines' format and 'Autoblast' engaged! Tony and I raced down to the starting-platform and started closing the main steam-valves to the turbines (around 100 turns on each spindle!!) By the time we got them shut it was too late, we had lost both anchors! Because of this loss we were not allowed to dock in Liverpool but had to go straight to Gothenburg. 'Charlie' was as popular as a dose of crabs as all our wives were waiting in Liverpool! The Company had given them permission to join the ship there and go to G'burg with us and then fly home as a special treat!!! Yes! "Interesting" ships!!!!

Nova Scotian
29th May 2007, 07:35
The Choffs standing by Conveyor in building were John Cooper and Colin Croall. Sailed with Colin on Lucerna when he was Master. During the stand-by I announced my wedding date and the little feet didn't touch the ground. Under a week later I was deep sea on Makrana.

I sailed with both Collin Croall and John Cooper when they were C/O's. Collin and Captain Bull were bagmen that alternated between the Conveyor and the Causeway and "Coops" was the regular C/O. I believe both Collin and John Cooper went on to be master of the Conveyor at some time. Graham Botterill was another C/O I sailed with. He and Ian North were also bagmen aboard the two vessels. The schedule of those ACL ships was very demanding. However, six weeks on and three off was a good arrangement in those days.

CHEERS.

Philthechill
29th May 2007, 08:55
Phil,
I was very interested to read that you sailed with Tony Dick. He was one of the first 2/Engs I met when I joined Brocks. Did a couple of coastals with him and then did 3 trips on Magdapur with him. A few years ago I decided to call him - I knew he had moved to Marske-on-Sea when he got married and was shocked to hear from his wife that he was dead. From Derek Rogers I found out that Jake Donnelly the Chief (and great pal of Tony) on these three trips had also died.
Jim, Tony was a first-class bloke and a bloody good engineer too. I was with him, and Charlie Dickens (Chief, also sadly, died) on both "Causeway" and "Conveyor". I can see Tony now stood in front of the console, on either of the two ships, with his 'curly' pipe resting on his beard, hands on hips, stomach bursting out of his playsuit, twinkle in his eye whilst he dealt with yet another crisis in his totally unfazeable manner. It was that remarkable unflappable characteristic, he had, which would bring calm to the most fraught of situations and make the rest of us, rushing around like headless chickens, address whatever the current disaster was logically and calmly. Hard to explain, really, but whenever you'd sounded the alarm, whilst watching the crisis worsen, you felt a great sense of relief when Tony appeared in the Control Room knowing that he would take control and (to paraphrase Princess Tony Blair's Labour Party) "Things could only get better!" This eulogy makes me, and the rest of the Engineers, sound to be a bunch of total incompetents but anyone who sailed with Tony will understand exactly what I mean. Top man in my book!!! 'Big' Jake! Another fine engineer and top bloke. I am very saddened to hear that he has gone to the great dry-dock in the sky. I did my first trip with Jake on 'Maskeliya' (Chief was that other wonderful character Dougie Ruddick better-known to all as 'The Duke of Bootle'). Being panch-sahib, I was on watch with Jake. He soon had my confidence built-up to the point where he would leave me alone in the engine-room whilst he went up to his cabin 'to do paper-work'. (I found-out later that he was actually going into No 4 hatch to "replenish" stores!). A story from our being in the Seychelles is worth repeating . When we got to the Seychelles it was around Bastille Day and the Senior Officers were invited ashore to some prestigious 'do' at Government House (or whatever the Chief-of-Staff's bustee was called). After they had eaten their meal the tables etc. were removed and dancing was Order-of-the-day. According to the story (which was backed-up by The Duke) the band struck-up "The Marseillaise" and Jake promptly weaved his way through all the 'stood-to-attention' guests and asked the Governors wife 'if she fancied a dance'. In another age and another situation Jake would then have been a guest of Madam Guillotine!!!!! Wonderful moment from a wonderful bloke!!! Salaams.

Philthechill
29th May 2007, 09:17
Further to my comments about 'Causeway' and 'Conveyor' I am still in touch with Charlie Drought who I sailed with on both 'Makrana' and 'Mangla'. Charlie was on 'Conveyor' (along with Jimmy Stewart who I also sailed with on both 'Causeway' and 'Conveyor') when she was sunk in The Falklands. Charlie has written a book about the sinking called, "N.P. 1840 The Loss of the ATLANTIC CONVEYOR" The ISBN is 1-901231-41-0 and costs 9.99. It is well-worth reading as it shows there were also losses in that conflict which weren't Army, Navy or R.A.F. There is plenty of coverage of The Falklands, from the military side, but next to nothing on the 'civvie' side. Captain Ian North (again an ex-shipmate from the two ships) was lost amongst the 12 others. If anyone is interested in the book, but can't locate a copy, e-mail me and I will let you know how to get in touch with Charlie who,I know, has copies available. Salaams.

rgrenville
29th May 2007, 18:29
Philthechill brought back resounding memories of that night off Anglesy. I was on ancor watch with 3rd mate Noddy Templeton when we saw the stbd engines tach go from 0 to 60 or so RPM. All hell broke loose Colin Croall started messing with the anchor control and 2nd mate Andy ? went forward. I was given the task of getting Alan Bull out of his sack after he left night order not to be disturbed. Got the biggest Bo*****king of my career trying to get him to come to the bridge. Can't really blame him when I think back, some cadet coming in and stammering that engines going full ahead sir cant stop them! As has beeen said before interesting ships.

Richard (Dick) Grenville

sparkie2182
29th May 2007, 20:18
did anyone sail with this gentleman of the engineroom???

if so........... acl or act ship???

sparkie2182

Philthechill
29th May 2007, 22:02
I'd forgotten all about Gerry in my "All our yesterdays" yarns about the two "C's"!! I sailed with Gerry on "Causeway" or "Conveyor" (probably both!!). A cracking bloke, good engineer and sound as a pound! Whilst we're on the 'Did anyone sail with-----------?" gambit. What about Mick Connelly? I sailed with Mick on both the "C's" and, in another life, i.e. when I was working ashore I met-up with him in Southern Ireland (where he now lives) when I'd gone to sort-out a fridge plant in a Fertiliser Factory near Cork. Mick was a very clever bloke and knew the complexities of the automation on those vessels like the back of his hand. Another excellent bloke.

sparkie2182
29th May 2007, 22:48
gerry ( i will never sail south of the equator) watson........from greasby......

....... a dead ringer for "frank cannon" the tough guy 18 stone private eye played by william conrad.

gerry was seconded to the act run for just 1 trip from his favoured acl boats.
he was accustomed to the regular short run of the acl........and was less than chuffed with the act run to oz and n.z.........purely because of the duration.... i might add. he liked to get back to greasby .....now and again :)

so........the company promised .........this will be just for 1 trip gerry....honest.......really..........truthfully. then back to acl runs.

so......after 3 months of the run to oz/n.z.............gerry was looking forward to nice long leave.........and back to conveyor/causeway.

we were all joshing him for weeks that he would be required to do the next run also. this put him in a less than jocular mood.........and.........as we had no knowledge of his future posts.........we just kept up the ribbing........:)

i was sailing r/o and imagine my surprise (as they say) when i got the telegram saying.............................

2/eng watson to remain on act 6 for return voyage to aust/n.z.

wowsers..................

the master refused to give him the telegram personally.....siting pure cowardice...........:) the reluctance of gerry to do the next run was well known throughout the ship.

so......it was down to sparkie..........

i tried to catch him in a quiet reflective mood after smoko.....then i quietly slipped him the telegram

i think it was 2 hours before gerry gave up chasing me around the ship.......promising all kinds of injury. im sure he thought i had arranged it over the ether..........:)

but.....the remainder of the lads were the winners........as we had the bold gerry for another deep sea trip. a great guy........fine shipmate and , i was often told by those who knew, a fine engineer.

any further info on gerry would be appreciated.

sparkie2182

Derek Roger
30th May 2007, 15:37
Further to my comments about 'Causeway' and 'Conveyor' I am still in touch with Charlie Drought who I sailed with on both 'Makrana' and 'Mangla'. Charlie was on 'Conveyor' (along with Jimmy Stewart who I also sailed with on both 'Causeway' and 'Conveyor') when she was sunk in The Falklands. Charlie has written a book about the sinking called, "N.P. 1840 The Loss of the ATLANTIC CONVEYOR" The ISBN is 1-901231-41-0 and costs 9.99. It is well-worth reading as it shows there were also losses in that conflict which weren't Army, Navy or R.A.F. There is plenty of coverage of The Falklands, from the military side, but next to nothing on the 'civvie' side. Captain Ian North (again an ex-shipmate from the two ships) was lost amongst the 12 others. If anyone is interested in the book, but can't locate a copy, e-mail me and I will let you know how to get in touch with Charlie who,I know, has copies available. Salaams.

Phil ;
If you are in touch with Charlie Drought ask him if he remembers Jake Donnely and I coming up from Colombo to Tricomalee ( Sept 1968 ) to bring the Mahseer down to Colombo for repairs to generators . All the engineers were sick to some degree or other at the time and had insufficient numbers fit enough to man the vessel .
Derek

Philthechill
30th May 2007, 17:34
Phil ;
If you are in touch with Charlie Drought ask him if he remembers Jake Donnely and I coming up from Colombo to Tricomalee ( Sept 1968 ) to bring the Mahseer down to Colombo for repairs to generators . All the engineers were sick to some degree or other at the time and had insufficient numbers fit enough to man the vessel .
Derek
Derek!
I'll be giving Charlie a bolo tonight, all being well, so I will pass on your request and, also, details of shipsnostalgia. I've no doubt he will soon join this happy band of ex-Brock people and exchange yarns! One particular yarn I ALWAYS tell people about Charlie is about the time he was sent out to "Makrana" to replace the 3rd (I being 4th). The 3rd (Lyndsey Robb I think they called him) had thrown a wobbler in Jeddah. He'd just walked off the ship (we were alongside!!!) when told to start 'flashing-up' and headed into town. The Agent had picked him up, trudging alongside a load of haji's, and, at the Old Man's orders, had him hospitalised prior to being repatriated. We went down to Aden and, because we were discharging explosives had to anchor outside Steamer Point (was it Elephant Bay or something?). Charlie had been flown out to Aden and was brought out to the ship in one of those passenger launches, which usually carried people from their respective ships to go ashore in Steamer. We watched the launch appearing and disappearing between the troughs, as it made its way out to us, and, eventually, made-out this highly irate figure standing at the for'd end of the launch dressed in a long Harris-Tweed overcoat topped-off by a Frank Sinatra-type pork-pie trilby! Long before the launch was beside the gangway the parentage of everyone involved in Charlie's flight had been cast into doubt!!! Between the effing and blinding, and beads of sweat flying off his bright-red face, we gathered that "those useless f*****g t***s have lost all my f*****g luggage!" This explained why Charlie was dressed more appropriately for grouse-shooting than cricket!!! He'd left the UK on a bitterly cold Winters day to arrive in Aden with the heat fit to fry eggs on deck!!! He was allowed to eat in the Engineers Messroom until we went into Steamer and he could get ashore to get some semblance of white uniform. I think he wore tennis shorts and Fred Perry Aertex shirts 'til we got to Colombo and he got more appropriate gear as befitted an East Indiaman!! Salaams!

Peter Eccleson
31st May 2007, 14:05
Sparkie.... did two trips on the ACT2 ("You can get in on the ACT too!") with Mike Twomey as Master and also sailed with him on the ACT6

sparkie2182
31st May 2007, 21:12
hello peter........

we chatted a number of times on company skeds............quite a while ago now.............:)
i never sailed with capt.twomey r.n.r..........captains lionel "ginger" brown and vic hunt were on the bridge when i was "in on the act".
i enjoyed the act ships, and the run was very agreeable.......2 trips on....1 off where possible was a good way to go.
specially as the intermediate coastal between trips was classed a buckshee leave.
of course, as with any ship, its the lads onboard who make or break....and i found them to be first rate.
do any of these names ring any bells????????????????

don leitner cheng aussie
don hargreaves commodore 3eng also aussie born in burnley (dont ask) :)
dave burden exceptional cheg extra chiefs ticket exceptional man also
george wilson small ........ scots.......... smashing guy
willie angus.........commodore 2/eng
charlie huddy ch freezer
gareth peaston choff
charlie denny "

the list is endless isnt it????????????

nice to hear from you again peter...........

best regards........

allan

Jim S
31st May 2007, 22:07
This name seems familiar - does anyone know if he was with Fyffes in 1968?
I seem to remember an Australian 3rd Engineer on Chicanoa with that name or very similar.

we chatted a number of times on company skeds............quite a while ago now.............:)
i never sailed with capt.twomey r.n.r..........captains lionel "ginger" brown and vic hunt were on the bridge when i was "in on the act".
i enjoyed the act ships, and the run was very agreeable.......2 trips on....1 off where possible was a good way to go.
specially as the intermediate coastal between trips was classed a buckshee leave.
of course, as with any ship, its the lads onboard who make or break....and i found them to be first rate.

don leitner cheng aussie
charlie huddy ch freezer
gareth peaston choff
charlie denny "

best regards........

allan[/QUOTE]

Philthechill
31st May 2007, 22:28
I sailed with both 'Black' Willie Angus and Gareth Peaston on the two "C's" (Causeway and Conveyor). I don't know if Willie was the same on the ACT boats as he was on the two "C's" but he was a bag of nerves when he was on THOSE two ships! He got his 'Black' epithet 'cos he was always black as a sweep, even when he'd changed out of his playsuit into his uniform!!! Gareth and his liking for Heinz Tomato Ketchup!! Did he drown his brekkie in the aforementioned condiment on the ACT ships? He had his missis with us on one trip and she, unintentionally, 'brought the house down' when she was telling us all one night for her great love for things equine. She said, "You can't beat having a ton of heaving flesh between your legs!" when describing the joys of horse-riding and couldn't understand why all hands were suddenly gripped by an attack of snorting into their glasses of ale!! Burra salaams!!

sparkie2182
31st May 2007, 23:46
hello phil..........

yes indeed........willie was a self confessed "nerve bag"........and freely acknowledged it cost him is chengs fourth ring.
i sailed with him on the port new plymouth (pnp .....rings bells with old r/os......no?? ....... think of transistors.... ok never mind............:)
as well as the act ships.....and found him to be a lovely guy.
i am a member of the yahoo group called "vintage port" which is very well supported......and is for ex port line people. last year a member flagged up the death of willie.
i remember willie lived in the midlands....brummie area......and was presumably buried there.
a fine shipmate........so sorry he "crossed the bar" relatively young.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news to all who sailed with him.....but thought you would like to know.

best regards

sparkie2182

sparkie2182
1st June 2007, 00:00
hello jim s............

i always assumed don leitner was port line.......as p.l. employed so many from oz and n.z.........but you may well be right.
i remember his grandpa........(i think it was).....owned a brewery in queensland.......leitners beer? something of that nature.

don had a smashing hobby.......he used to bottle dried apricots etc: in duty free brandy.....etc: and the result after a few weeks was......

the most powerfully charged apricot in the southern hemisphere........:)

i remember going ashore in sydney in order to buy quantities of dried fruit of all kinds for him......and waiting for "pay day"......when the fruit was engorged with the finest duty free spirits ..................:)

a great guy......and the finest purveyor of fruit i have ever known.........:)

maybe someone can confirm or scotch the fyffes link

best regards

sparkie2182

Philthechill
1st June 2007, 13:33
hello phil..........

yes indeed........willie was a self confessed "nerve bag"........and freely acknowledged it cost him is chengs fourth ring.
i sailed with him on the port new plymouth (pnp .....rings bells with old r/os......no?? ....... think of transistors.... ok never mind............:)
as well as the act ships.....and found him to be a lovely guy.
i am a member of the yahoo group called "vintage port" which is very well supported......and is for ex port line people. last year a member flagged up the death of willie.
i remember willie lived in the midlands....brummie area......and was presumably buried there.
a fine shipmate........so sorry he "crossed the bar" relatively young.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news to all who sailed with him.....but thought you would like to know.

best regards

sparkie2182 Oh dear, indeed! I was sorry to hear that Willie has crossed the bar and, as you say, Sparkie, relatively young. More than likely, remembering Willie's nervous disposition, he would be 'fretting' to his last breath about some crisis or other! RIP Willie. Remembered with great affection by an ex-shipmate.

sparkie2182
1st June 2007, 14:10
seconded phil.........

allan

Jim S
1st June 2007, 19:30
Sparkie 2182

I attach two thumbnail images of who may or not be Don Leitner.
The picture was taken in 1968 on Fyffes Chicanoa and shows the mystery man - throwing quoit in what was a daily ritual of him playing the C/Eng.
Despite being on 12/4 watch he would get uo each morning to take on this challenge.
They are not very clear but is the fair haired guy the one we are talking about?

Regards,

Jim

sparkie2182
1st June 2007, 22:33
inconclusive to me jim................

the hair colouring is about right.......but don had a beard.
im trying to match my mental pic with your physical pic......but cant get a +ve i.d.
hopefully someone else may be able to fill in the gaps.

best regards

sparkie2182

Jim S
2nd June 2007, 18:58
inconclusive to me jim................

the hair colouring is about right.......but don had a beard.
im trying to match my mental pic with your physical pic......but cant get a +ve i.d.
hopefully someone else may be able to fill in the gaps.

best regards

sparkie2182

Thanks for your interest in trying to solve. The person I have in mind only did the one 6 month trip with Fyffes (I think) I never met him again.
Your mention of a family brewery connection seems to ring a bell but I might be just imagining it. If it is the same Don Leitner (I had written "Leibner" in some notes I made of my time at sea and when I read your Don Leitner an Australian I was puting two and two together.
The guy I have in mind was an excellent engineer and a great asset to the ship. He perhaps was a little short in patience as the following indicates -
His Junior Eng was a young lad - a good junior engineer but could be a bit cheeky. Anyway he persisted in addressing Don (if that is he) as "Abo".
This really got to him and to restore harmony I had to swop the Juniors around and take this lad on to my 4/8 watch. Peace was immediately restored and Don could continue to try to beat the C/Eng at deck tennis each morning without the aggrevation of having a cheeky Junior to deal with.

Jim

sparkie2182
2nd June 2007, 20:58
nice story john.........

i think the addition of a couple more gold rings on the sleeve would end any problems with juniors..........:)

best regards , and hoping for more info from other s.n. members

allan

Peter Eccleson
6th June 2007, 14:10
Allan

I remember Don Hargreaves and Charlie Huddy!

I enjoyed the ACT ships too. They were good ships. Suprised they went to Blue Star eventually....which is quite nostalgic since I sailed on the Columbia Star in 1972 and America Star (on loan from R&ES to Marconi) in about 1976.

Like so many on SN I like to 'swing the lamp' occasionally and have fond memories of Cunard-Brock.
Hope life is treating you well

Regards

Pete E

sparkie2182
6th June 2007, 20:33
thanks peter.......

charlie was a lovely man........self contained and a real old sea dog.....ex r.n. etc: i remember he lived within sight of seaforth in glv.

don was a burnley born aussie living in marton,blackpool ...........:)

he was commodore 3 eng........and that was just how he planned to stay.

strange really...both the men were complete opposites in nature.......but both 100% seafarers and terrific guys to sail with.

if any other names come to mind..........send a post..........

73s peter.........

allan

qru va

Philthechill
13th June 2007, 23:01
Phil ;
Derek

Derek! Sorry I've been absent from the site for a few days but I was away on holiday with my daughter, her bloke and my granddaughter. Whilst there my six year-old granddaughter ran me ragged and I'm just about recovered!! Anyway I digress! I DID contact Charlie (who, at this very moment, is in The Falklands as a guest of The Falklands Government, to represent The Merchant Navy, in their celebrations for Liberation Day) and asked him if he remembered you and Jake coming to Trinco to bring the Mahseer down to Colombo. He said he remembered the incident very well as he was one of the more exhausted engineers as he had been attempting to get some concentricity on one of the crankpins on one of the Ruston's (Type 5VEBZ if memory serves me correctly!). He sends his burra salaams. I'll let you know about his trip to The Falklands as soon as I get the details from him. Salaams.

Derek Roger
13th June 2007, 23:27
I sailed with both 'Black' Willie Angus and Gareth Peaston on the two "C's" (Causeway and Conveyor). I don't know if Willie was the same on the ACT boats as he was on the two "C's" but he was a bag of nerves when he was on THOSE two ships! He got his 'Black' epithet 'cos he was always black as a sweep, even when he'd changed out of his playsuit into his uniform!!! Gareth and his liking for Heinz Tomato Ketchup!! Did he drown his brekkie in the aforementioned condiment on the ACT ships? He had his missis with us on one trip and she, unintentionally, 'brought the house down' when she was telling us all one night for her great love for things equine. She said, "You can't beat having a ton of heaving flesh between your legs!" when describing the joys of horse-riding and couldn't understand why all hands were suddenly gripped by an attack of snorting into their glasses of ale!! Burra salaams!!

How was your Bolo with Charlie ???
Derek

Philthechill
16th June 2007, 09:34
Another "Tale from the crypt" re. "Causeway". Once again this involves "Charlie Drake". I can't recall exactly where we were but I do remember that the engine-room was an absolute picture for once. (Anyone who sailed on those ships will know what I'm talking about as, unlike the Brock ships where there was virtually unlimited staff to keep the engine-rooms pristine, the ro-ro ships had very few crew for such niceties). I think we were alongside somewhere. The only reason I think we were alongside is because of the train of events that happened i.e. all hands were soon turned-to rather than arriving in dribs and drabs as usually followed an 'Engineers Alarm' summons!!! Now follows a prodigious memory recall exercise!!!
When the off-line settling tank was being filled there was a pump cut-off system enabled by the "high-high-level" alarm. The idea of this being that if someone was pressing the settling-tank up, and had their attention diverted from doing this job, the transfer pump would automatically stop when the oil-level reached this "high-high" level. Unfortunately the alarm-buzzer had an annoying flatulent sound to it when it was enabled so any alarms, which could be triggered on a regular basis, such as high-level bilge alarms which could sound every few seconds when the ship was rolling would have a matchstick jammed in the "Alarm acknowledge" button to mute the alarm (I, of course, being an absolute pillar [pillock?] of correctness, NEVER did such a dangerous practice!!!! Ha! Right!!!). Another alarm, which would sound under rolling conditions, was the settling-tank high-levels so they, too, were usually 'frigged'. One of the features of all the transfer-pumps was that they could be run in 'Manual' which meant, naturally, that the automatic high-high level cut-off was negated.
"Charlie" was pumping one of the settling-tanks up.
For reasons unknown he was doing it manually. Matchstick cancellation facility was firmly in place.
"Charlie", whilst transferring oil, was also brushing-up on his gynaecological knowledge from some of the excellent books, on this subject, that were available from Gothenburg and was thus oblivious to the fact that (a) the settling-tank had filled and (b) the transfer pump was in 'Manual'!
The fuel pumps (to supply high-pressure oil to the burners) were on a flat above the settling tanks and had a "save-all" built round them to catch any leaks from the pump or valve-stem glands. A drain from this "save-all" led down to the settling tanks. With the transfer-pump being in 'Manual' and "Charlie" brushing-up on things gynaecological the oil from the over-filled settling-tank went UP the drain to the 'save-all' and, rapidly filling this containment area, soon spilled over the edge and gravity then entered the picture causing the oil to descend through various orifices (holes!! wake up at the back!!!!) in the plates into the engine room. Soon the entire accommodation was filled with the smell of Bunker 'C' as the oil was dripping down onto hot steam-pipes and vapourising. All hands rapidly turned-to and hurtled down below to see just what the 'kin 'ell was causing this over-powering stench. "Charlie" was, as usual, totally oblivious to this mayhem and was a bit miffed to have to put his "text-book" down. To cut this already long story short the net-result was the engine-room looked a complete mess with all the newly white-washed lagging covered in black fuel-oil. How the whole thing hadn't caught fire remains one of the mysteries of the century as there was a huge amount of vapour floating around.
I can't recall what happened to "Charlie".
Who knows he may be a top gyneacologist now as he certainly studied those books from Gothenburg with great dilligence!!! Happy (?) days! Salaams Phil

kevhogg
16th June 2007, 15:32
sailed on the act2 90-91 and had a great time good runs and good crowds

Derek Roger
17th June 2007, 03:56
Derek! Sorry I've been absent from the site for a few days but I was away on holiday with my daughter, her bloke and my granddaughter. Whilst there my six year-old granddaughter ran me ragged and I'm just about recovered!! Anyway I digress! I DID contact Charlie (who, at this very moment, is in The Falklands as a guest of The Falklands Government, to represent The Merchant Navy, in their celebrations for Liberation Day) and asked him if he remembered you and Jake coming to Trinco to bring the Mahseer down to Colombo. He said he remembered the incident very well as he was one of the more exhausted engineers as he had been attempting to get some concentricity on one of the crankpins on one of the Ruston's (Type 5VEBZ if memory serves me correctly!). He sends his burra salaams. I'll let you know about his trip to The Falklands as soon as I get the details from him. Salaams.

Thanks Phil :
Glad Charlie is down South representing the MN in the Falklands . When he gets back get him signed up so we can have a blether .
Regards Derek

Philthechill
17th June 2007, 08:28
Philthechill brought back resounding memories of that night off Anglesy. I was on ancor watch with 3rd mate Noddy Templeton when we saw the stbd engines tach go from 0 to 60 or so RPM. All hell broke loose Colin Croall started messing with the anchor control and 2nd mate Andy ? went forward. I was given the task of getting Alan Bull out of his sack after he left night order not to be disturbed. Got the biggest Bo*****king of my career trying to get him to come to the bridge. Can't really blame him when I think back, some cadet coming in and stammering that engines going full ahead sir cant stop them! As has beeen said before interesting ships.

Richard (Dick) Grenville Dick! I've been going to reply to your recall of THAT night off Anglesey but, what with posting long yarns on "Brocks" slot and going on holiday, I've never got round to it 'cept now! It certainly was a tad traumatic wasn't it? I put in my yarn that we lost both anchors. Was this correct? I do remember they brought a replacement anchor from Bremerhaven, or somewhere, to G'burg to put on the ship. I also put that BOTH engines went into "Ahead" mode. You said that it was just the starb'd engine. I'm sure you are right but in the mayhem in the Control Room and subsequently 'on the plates' all I remember is Tony Dick, and I, furiously (not 'furiously' as in raging temper! That came later when we found out that we weren't docking in Liverpool!!!! 'Furiously' as in "high-speed"!) shutting the main steam isolating valves to the turbines. I can just imagine Allan Bull giving you a bollocking for waking him up too! Those beetling eyebrows would intimidate even the most hardened sea-dog let alone a cadet!!! Did they ever retrieve the lost anchor/anchors do you know? Salaams Phil

John Campbell
17th June 2007, 18:28
anyone sail on the act2 ........ act 6.......or atlantic conveyor (sadly lost in the falklands conflict.......or the atlantic causeway??????????

sparkie2182

Having watched today's great Falklands Memorial Parade in Whitehall ,on BBC TV l - I waited in vain to hear the of the great contribution that was made by the Merchant Navy and it was only when the Chinook helicopters were flying down the Mall that the commentator mentioned the helicopters which were lost on the "Atlantic Conveyor" when she sank. I suppose the Earl of Wessex dressed up as a commodore of the RFA was supposed to repesent the MN. Where were the crews of the Canberra or the QE2 should not they have been part of the parade? I think we should be told.
John Campbell [/B][/B]- I waited in vain to hear the of the great contribution that was made by the Merchant Navy and it was only when the Chinook helicopters were flying down the Mall that the commentator mentioned the helicopters which were lost on the "Atlantic Conveyor" when she sank.

I suppose the Earl of Wessex, dressed up as a commodore of the RFA, was supposed to repesent the MN. Where were the crews of the Canberra or the QE2 should not they have been part of the parade? I think we should be told.

sparkie2182
17th June 2007, 20:36
well john............

at least the RFA cadets and junior rates now someone to lookup to as a role model..............

...............a royal marines chuck out

rgrenville
18th June 2007, 16:34
Dick! I've been going to reply to your recall of THAT night off Anglesey but, what with posting long yarns on "Brocks" slot and going on holiday, I've never got round to it 'cept now! It certainly was a tad traumatic wasn't it? I put in my yarn that we lost both anchors. Was this correct? I do remember they brought a replacement anchor from Bremerhaven, or somewhere, to G'burg to put on the ship. I also put that BOTH engines went into "Ahead" mode. You said that it was just the starb'd engine. I'm sure you are right but in the mayhem in the Control Room and subsequently 'on the plates' all I remember is Tony Dick, and I, furiously (not 'furiously' as in raging temper! That came later when we found out that we weren't docking in Liverpool!!!! 'Furiously' as in "high-speed"!) shutting the main steam isolating valves to the turbines. I can just imagine Allan Bull giving you a bollocking for waking him up too! Those beetling eyebrows would intimidate even the most hardened sea-dog let alone a cadet!!! Did they ever retrieve the lost anchor/anchors do you know? Salaams Phil

You are quite correct about the anchors Phil, I seem to recall that a rather terse communication from head office took Alan Bull to task for not using anchor bouys to mark the spot where they were dropped. This was took me by suprise as I had never seen them used in the three prior years at sea. This led me to perceeve the large disconnect between the office and sea staff & in subsequent years this really did not change. Of course there was no mentrion of the fact that the engineroom staff did a stellar job of getting the engines operational just in time as we were very close to the beach with only 6 feet of water under the keel. As they say in the states "Monday morning Quarterbacking". We did get a replacement anchor in Gothemburg but I dont know if they recovered the lost ones. That ship gave me a good look at where our MN was heading I was very impressed with the Ro Ro concept and made the realization that the conventional cargo liner was doomed to go into extinction. Great to hear from you after a long time Phil

Salaams - Dick

Philthechill
20th June 2007, 22:24
You are quite correct about the anchors Phil, I seem to recall that a rather terse communication from head office took Alan Bull to task for not using anchor bouys to mark the spot where they were dropped. This was took me by suprise as I had never seen them used in the three prior years at sea. This led me to perceeve the large disconnect between the office and sea staff & in subsequent years this really did not change. Of course there was no mentrion of the fact that the engineroom staff did a stellar job of getting the engines operational just in time as we were very close to the beach with only 6 feet of water under the keel. As they say in the states "Monday morning Quarterbacking". We did get a replacement anchor in Gothemburg but I dont know if they recovered the lost ones. That ship gave me a good look at where our MN was heading I was very impressed with the Ro Ro concept and made the realization that the conventional cargo liner was doomed to go into extinction. Great to hear from you after a long time Phil

Salaams - Dick Dick! Burra salaams! Strangely enough, and finding out about it now, after all these years, I didn't know we were so close to disaster!! Probably just as well I didn't know then as, rather than buggering-about in the engine-room trying to get some order out of the chaos, I would have been perched in one of the lifeboats disguised as a woman or a child!!! For the office to bollock "Bully" for not dropping marker buoys, where the anchors had been lost, shows exactly how out-of-touch shore-side people could be!! For a start nobody would have had the faintest idea WHERE they were to the nearest 200 yards, would they, and to think of such niceties when all hell was breaking loose would have been a luxury you would only see in the movies!! Cheers! Phil

rgrenville
28th June 2007, 18:31
Hi Phil, just remembered one of my c**k ups while we sailed together. There was an AB from Liverpool called Mackanernie, (every one called him Mac), who was on the 8 - 12 watch with us. He was a real character with lots of scouse stories that kept me in stitches. He told me one night about his brother who was a Liverpool docker, they all supposedly had nick names and his brother was called "The Astronaught". He frequently looked over the hatch coaming and shouted to his mates, "I'm just going home to mars"!

Any way Colin Croal (Mate) asked me to do a crew check befor leaving Grennock I came back to him in a panic ssaying that I had found all the guys with the exception of Ernie. Ernie who he asked, you know I said Macs buddy Ernie. All had a good laugh courtesy of the cadet.

Burra Salaams

Dick Grenville

Philthechill
29th June 2007, 11:45
How's about this for proof of the "Title" to this reply Dick. Several years ago (and long after I'd come ashore) I was in my local having a tincture or twelve and I got talking to a bloke who I'd seen in the boozer but never spoken to before. As soon as he opened his mouth a very strong scouse accent came to the fore and I mentioned that I'd been with a Liverpool company when I was at sea. He said the only member of his family to go to sea was his uncle. He then said something to the effect of "Perhaps you knew him" ( I was thinking, "Yeh right! The number of blokes who went to sea from Liverpool and this bloke thinks I may have known his uncle------------dream on pal!").Out loud I was polite however and said "Possibly, what was his name?" Much to my great surprise he said, "Macnernie". "Good God!", spake I, "I knew him well! He used to be on the "Atlantic Causeway". The guy who I was speaking to (John Atkinson was his name) has a son who I see fairly frequently and he told me last year that Macnernie had died. He also asked me if I had any photographs of his great uncle Mac taken on board Causeway but, unfortunately, I don't have. I may put an appeal on this thread and see if anyone DOES have any photo's of him. What do you think, Dick, would it maybe yield something? Salaams, Phil

rgrenville
29th June 2007, 22:02
That was truly remarkable Phil, what a small world we live in. You never know your luck by asking. I wish I had taken more pictures when I was sailing the old grey matter has a hard time remembering things!

Cheers for now

DG

Philthechill
3rd July 2007, 15:23
I have often wondered if that air-belt that was fitted round "Causeway's" hull and maybe "Conveyor's" actually did what it was supposed to do and save fuel. I left "The Merch" in 1975 and the experiment was still on-going so I never did find out if it was any good. I know when the Howden compressor, which was fitted under the foc'sle head, and supplied the air to be pumped through the perforations in the canvas belt round the hull, was fired-up the current draw was absolutely monumental and I think we used to have both turbo-alternators "on-line" to cope with well over 3 thousand amps starting current. We used to gaze at the ammeter with the sort of fascination a rabbit has when it's got a cobra about to marmalize it! The old bowels would feel a bit loose as we waited for the whole nine-yards to trip. Strangely enough they never did so our half-crown/sixpence feeling was absolutely without foundation!!! So if anyone can fill me in as to whether it was any good, or not, I would be "reet pleased" as they would say in this 'ere neck-of-the-woods!! Salaams Phil Roe

Philthechill
4th July 2007, 07:53
One of the heart-sinking sights (amongst many!) for engineers rejoining "Causeway" or "Conveyor", as you got your first glimpse of the ship as you arrived at Seaforth in your taxi, would be a plume of steam coming from the top of the funnel as you knew that the ship was "on atmosphere", the job was shut down and you would have to turn-to as soon as you'd relieved your opposite number and got your playsuit on. Obviously you would have to turn-to, if she was flashed-up and ready to go, if you arrived on your watch but if she was shut-down it meant having to do urgent maintenance. One of the really crap jobs was repacking the de-superheating valves as any ex-ACL engineer will tell you. The stuffing-box was about three-inches deep, which is not too bad. However the packing used was Walkers "Supeta" and was one eighth-of-an-inch square!! Because of their location these valves got extremely hot and consequently the "Supeta" packing which, in its unused form was beautifully soft and greasy as it was full of graphite, took on the consistency of cast steel! Trying to get the old packing out, to replace, it was an absolute bugger of a job and not many (if any!!) engineers could honestly say that they had got every turn of old packing out being, usually, content to get the first two or three turns out and then repack the gland with new "Supeta". Many an engineer was spotted lurking behind stacked containers on the jetty, reluctant to board, when they'd seen that tell-tale steam-plume issuing forth from the funnel! Was I ever one of them? Oh puhlease!! As if!!!! Salaams Phil Roe

Herbert
13th July 2007, 21:48
Hi all.
I was lucky enough to spend about three years doing the 'PACE' runs on these three ships. Also across the atlantic on the smaller atlantic project. (rolled like a pig) Was due to join the causeway as 3rd mate to do the coastal and she was redirected to go to the south atlantic. Didnt get to go.
Anybody remeber John Oscroft and what thappened to MHCTwomey?
Got on great with both.
Martin Medland

sparkie2182
13th July 2007, 23:51
hi martin..........

i believe capt oscroft is now retired and living near kendal.......in the lake district.have you joined the yahoo group "vintage port"?
it is a very well supported group.........and all your mates are there.........:)

best regards........

sparkie2182

ex cunardbrock

Herbert
14th July 2007, 21:10
Thanks Sparkie. I am awaiting info to see if Im allowed into the club! Thanks for the info and update on John.
Martin.

callpor
15th July 2007, 16:29
Will take me ages to read all the responses oin this thread. I too stood by the build of both vessels at Wallsend, sailed on voyage 2 of the Causeway then returned to the yard for the Conveyor where I remained as S/2/0 until summer 1971. I completed 9 contracts on the Conveyor mainly with Captain Des Landes as Master but latterly Alan Bull. John Cooper was C/O almost the whole time, Alex McLeod, Purser and my memory is very poor regarding all the others. I left to go for Masters in the autum of 1971 and following this joined Esso Marine UK.

Have been trying unsuccessfully to upload photos of both vessels on the site

Brgds

Chris Allport

Philthechill
23rd July 2007, 20:51
Will take me ages to read all the responses oin this thread. I too stood by the build of both vessels at Wallsend, sailed on voyage 2 of the Causeway then returned to the yard for the Conveyor where I remained as S/2/0 until summer 1971. I completed 9 contracts on the Conveyor mainly with Captain Des Landes as Master but latterly Alan Bull. John Cooper was C/O almost the whole time, Alex McLeod, Purser and my memory is very poor regarding all the others. I left to go for Masters in the autum of 1971 and following this joined Esso Marine UK.

Have been trying unsuccessfully to upload photos of both vessels on the site

Brgds

Chris Allport Chris! Phil Roe. Do you remember the day, on "Conveyor", when she was fitting-out, Jack McGuire probably saved the life of one of the shore-side "leccies" who was doing some work under the bridge console? Jack was up on the bridge and noticed this blokes leg, sticking-out from under the console, was twitching quite violently and realised that he was being electrocuted so, without any thought for his own safety, grabbed hold of the guy's overalls and dragged him out. Turned-out the bloke had brushed against a bare, live, wire but, because he was then "in spasm", couldn't get himself away from the said live wire but fortunately, for him, Jack was there. Salaams, Phil

jimuc
14th August 2009, 19:56
Dear all i am writing this post to enquire about any one who knew my late father John McNeil who was an engineer with ACL during 1968- 1974- then 1976- 1979. My father passed away last week the 5/8/09 with an asbestos related condition.
I am looking for any evidence of any other member of staff who has had asbestos exposure while in the employment of ACL. My father loved his time on board the fleet of ACL ships and told of great stories that spell bound me as a young child.
Any information or stories about my dads time will help me tell his story to my two young children.

Kind regards Jim

uisdean mor
23rd August 2009, 11:09
Did 2 trips on ACT2 and 1 on ACT 6 with an ACT drydock inbetween. Also managed a few ( cant remember and cant be a****d to get the old DB out) trips on Causeway. Northie was old man on every trip on Causeway and we both transferred then on to the "new" diesels - Prosper/Project. These were good times and his loss on Conveyor was a real blow. Fondest memories revolve around his relationship with Bosun Angus MacKinnon and the many ( and various) ruses used to gain time "in the Minch" as we wended our weary way south from Gotheburg to Greenock.Too many memories of an excellent master and seaman to mention here but a good night was had when he picked up the last silver cane awarded to last ship into Montreal before serious ice closed the port.St Lawrence in winter was a challenge. Went on to work for Scottish Ship Management after that and got used to the bauxite run up to Port Alfred on the ice class bulkers.
No specific memories re ACT boats except they were finished to a high standard and we had little problems. Some of the main machinery was nearing its end ( condenser end plates etc) and a few pump problems but all in all good ships.
Rgds
Uisdean Mor

japottinger
13th January 2010, 16:25
Russell Gordon was Chief Eng. on Maihar (I) my first trip in Brocklebank, his first as Chief. I found him a smashing bloke and measured all succeeding Chiefs I sailed with against him.

ernhelenbarrett
16th January 2010, 07:36
I sailed with Ian North when he was 2nd Mate on the Port Vindex in 1952, he used to play the Northumberland bagpipes. During the Wharfies strikes when waiting at Beauty Point in Tasmania to load apples one Sunday he persuaded the "Old Man" that the crowd were eager to have boat drill to combat boredom!!! The Captain thought it a good idea so we took off and Ian headed upriver for Launceston and we tied up at the nearest pub!! The local cop decided we were bonafide travellers as you had to travel 25 miles on a Sunday in those days to get a drink, so the local cop came into the bar with us and closed the doors!!. It was about midnight by the time we got back to the ship to a furious skipper but Ian convinced him the engine had broken down and the crowd had gallantly rowed back against an incoming tide! It was a very sad piece of news to hear of his loss on the Conveyor at the Falklands
Ern Barrett ex R/O

radioman1969
18th December 2010, 12:35
Hi all. I am an ex R/O from RES 1975-1978 & 1980-1987. Sailed on many Cargo Div ships including ACT2/3 & 6 and Causeway/Conveyor.
Did the drydock on Causeway when she returned from the Falklands.
Was on the Samaria at start of war but Saxonia was chartered instead ! We were all 'up for it too'.

Does anybody know if 'Ginger' Brown (from ACT2) is still with us ? I sailed with him for several years on ACT2 and we always went ashore together (even got thrown out of 'girlie' bar in Amsterdam after ginger called one girl 'an old ****' - he thought she couldn't hear him thru the glass partition).

Great days. I left RES in 1987 then went freelance until 1992 when decided change of career was looming !

Now retired, changed career to 'Corporate Auditor' with Banks and Chartered Accountancy practises. Different game altogether - majority of 'posers' I worked with would have been thrown over the side !.

I still keep my hand in Radio wise - Radio Amateur (GD4RGR) mostly on 3.637 Khz (0800-0900z Mon-Sat) as part of a sked with several other UK amateurs.

Best 73's to Peter Eccleson (I went to his first wedding) if he is still about.

Best regards - Ken Grattan

Peter Eccleson
27th February 2011, 17:46
Hi Ken
Yes I am still alive and well and living in deepest Warwickshire.....will send you a PM
73's
Pete Eccleson

Cisco
8th January 2013, 00:18
This seems as good a place as any to ask a question.
Does anyone recall the name of the 3rd mate on 'Atlantic Causeway' when she went to the Falklands. Was he a Norwegian?
Ta

kevin morgan
8th January 2013, 01:27
Sparkie.... did two trips on the ACT2 ("You can get in on the ACT too!") with Mike Twomey as Master and also sailed with him on the ACT6

Capt Twomey (ade-decamp ?) gave me a 'roasting' and a logging after nearly missing the ship in Frisco -we had already 'lost' 2 crew members in Long Beach,and i lost the bosun that night in SF as well, so Capt Twomey was not impressed , and let me know(ACT2)

marinemec2004
24th January 2013, 12:28

sparkie2182
Sailed on ACT 2 as senior mechanic.
Wonderful ship! Went like a sewing machine -never in 8 months did I see her break down, never missed a beat. Good ship, good crowd and great run -OZ-NZ-OZ..
Years later after I had left the Merch. and went into this game ( Oil and Gas) I was down in Chittagong in a gas plant. I knew they scrapped the ships there, so one day I asked my gaffa -Ex Shell C/E. if I coUld take the afternoon off and go down to the yard for a look see.. No problem he said so off I went.
Whilst walking around the yard, I saw many a ship being broken up, but two in particular caught my eye. One was the Shell VLCC Leonia and the othe rwas the P & O Container ship " Morecambe Bay." I sailed 5 years with Joe Shell, and sailed on two of Leonias sister ships -Lima and Lanistes. The "Morecambe Bay" was none other than my old ship "ACT 2"!!
It was so sad to see her being gas axed up!
Honestly I was gutted. Such fond memories of the great times I had spent on her, the great places she took me to, and the great guys I had the pleasure of sailing with on her.
RIP ACT 2!

romney01
22nd August 2013, 10:05
I sailed on the conveyor 1979 Sam Rowing was chief (with wife Gladys and daughter Susan on board), Willy Angus 2nd, Bob Bulmer third, Graham (Specky) Ross 4th. Geordie Jim Watson was 2nd lecky.
Later I sailed on Act 2 with Robin Avery chief, Willy 2nd, Fred Shaw 3rd, me 4th and Mark Wood the fiver. I think "Buddy" Huddy was the reefer.
Act 6 I can't remember the chief but he went on to become a Lloyds surveyor, Carl Kalnins was 2nd, Fred Shaw 3rd, I was the 4th and Bertie the "Porg" fiver.

RCHARLTON
22nd August 2013, 14:37
Act 6 I can't remember the chief but he went on to become a Lloyds surveyor, Carl Kalnins was 2nd, Fred Shaw 3rd, I was the 4th and Bertie the "Porg" fiver.

Just wondering if the chief might have been Dick Ward. I know he went on to be a Lloyds surveyor.

Ray

romney01
22nd August 2013, 19:47
I think you might be right. The name is familiar

sparkie2182
22nd August 2013, 20:23
" Sam Rowing was chief"

OMG!!!

R396040
22nd August 2013, 20:39
Did fifteen years on Cunard cargo ships last trips on Atlantic Conveyor as Purser/CS from April toAugust 1971. Times achangeing notime in port but still did another six years.
George Henderson

s

romney01
23rd August 2013, 05:56
" Sam Rowing was chief"

OMG!!!

There was an interesting exchange in the bar one night watching a movie. The ship took a big roll and Graham Ross said "oops Gladys just rolled over in bed" (she was generously proportioned). A voice from the gloom said "Gladys is here". I think specky kept his head down for the rest of the trip.

kevhogg
23rd August 2013, 10:19
Sailed on the ACT2 early 90's-one of best ships/run and crowd have sailed with.
Kev H

Peterhr
5th September 2013, 22:23
I was on ACT3 twice between 1974 and 1977. There was an R/O called Melvin Fowler who was on ACT6 around 1974 and still with Cunard at the end of 1978 but lost touch after that. He was at Riversdale, one year ahead of me and Chris Knight. If anyone knows of Mel's whereabouts, please let me know as we would like to have a reunion.

Peter Eccleson
14th October 2013, 00:18
Alan, yes a good few of those names tweak the little grey cells.Charlie Huddy and Don Hargreaves especially. Also did one trip with Ginger Brown.
As you say, nice ships.

QUOTE=sparkie2182;130504]hello peter........

don leitner cheng aussie
charlie huddy ch freezer
gareth peaston choff
charlie denny "

best regards........

allan[/QUOTE]

sparkie2182
14th October 2013, 16:15
"Charlie Huddy and Don Hargreaves especially."

Charlie was lifelong seafarer..........ex R.N.........lived within sight of Seaforth.
Never entered the bar........but a welcome awaited in his cabin for any shipmate.

Don "Mr Magoo" Hargreaves.........Commodore 3/Eng ........ born Burnley raised Australia............lived in Marton,Blackpool..........Specialised in >>>>>

(a). Assembling expensive Japanese model ships, then "having a few tubes" and standing on them...........:)
(b). Stripping off entirely in the dhobi room, chucking all his kit into the washing machine and walking back to his cabin starkers.

An alternative to (a) was to assemble the model ship to a high standard and then "having a few more tubes" and commencing to do the paintwork............Don's eyesight was never A1 even when stone cold sober.
The model ship's decal invariably resembled a map of the London Underground by the time he was finished.

Two great shipmates..........God bless 'em.

Another name to conjure with ........... Jerry Watson..........longtime ACL 2/E..........exeptionally reluctant ACT 2/E...........from Greasby, Merseyside.

Peter Eccleson
16th October 2013, 00:47
Can't say I recall Jerry Watson....but you've got a good memory for names!

bryanm
16th October 2013, 09:03
Remember Gerry Watson more from Atlantic Causeway when he was regular second with Bill Croft electrician

sparkie2182
16th October 2013, 13:14
Correct.

He was "shanghai'ed" to the ACT Aus/NZ run for two trips............much to his immense chagrin.............he loved the ACL run.

Gerry very reluctantly agreed to one (1).......singular........run "down-under"

Imagine my delight when i handed him the telegram to say he was also down for the second.
The O.M. declined to tell him personally..........for some reason (self preservation maybe)............:):)

Oddly, Gerry deduced i had personally contrived to organise the second trip myself...... in cahoots with the engineers personnel department.

I may have mentioned something like this in the bar on the odd occasion some weeks beforehand............. :)

I locked myself in the radio office for an hour or so before he had time to settle down with a few beers inside him.

Happy days........... a smashing guy...........good on 'im.

dannic
11th November 2013, 22:26
I sailed on the conveyor 1979 Sam Rowing was chief (with wife Gladys and daughter Susan on board), Willy Angus 2nd, Bob Bulmer third, Graham (Specky) Ross 4th. Geordie Jim Watson was 2nd lecky.
Later I sailed on Act 2 with Robin Avery chief, Willy 2nd, Fred Shaw 3rd, me 4th and Mark Wood the fiver. I think "Buddy" Huddy was the reefer.

1978 sailed on Conveyor as Engine Cadet with mad Sam, got sacked which I later discovered was nothing unusual! 4th I think was Graham Ross, he happy he wasn't the only one in the firing line.
3rds were big John Hotham and Dick......memory on the way out!
Sacking had no effect on my career with Cunard Brock as all got made redundant a few years later.

Dannic

marineboy646
3rd January 2014, 22:24
Sailed on the act 6 (1975-6) and Causeway, Conveyor, Project and Prosper till Falklands war before leaving to join Police. I was a deck officer. Neil Walker

AT Smith
11th February 2014, 21:21
This thread provokes so many memories:

Atlantic Causway: My 2nd ship as a cadet, Gerry Watson was the 2nd, absolute gem of a boss. Bill Croft was there, Jimmy Stewart was Chief, solid. I was on watch with Derek Hough, taught me the art of boiler water tests.

Don Leitner: He was C/E on MV England, where I did my first two trips as 5/E. Paid off with him in Cape Town where we stayed for a few days waiting for the flight. He organised a minibus where we went around and did the tourist thing. Happy memories.

Willy Angus: 3rd trip cadet took me to ACT3, 1982. The Falklands had kicked off and a number of ACL regulars were on board. Willy was 2nd and Bob Bulmer was 3/E. You can imagine the atmosphere on board when Conveyor was lost, not so happy memories. I'm sad to note the passing of Willy, he was a gentle soul despite his manic behaviour.

sparkie2182
12th February 2014, 12:43
" I'm sad to note the passing of Willy, he was a gentle soul despite his manic behaviour."

Very true.......

R.I.P.