Phil Roe (Philthechill) Too long?

Philthechill
29th May 2007, 23:15
Are my replies to queries far too long? Looking at most queries/replies they are quite brief whereas mine appear to be mini-novels. Answers on the back of a postage stamp please!! Salaams

sparkie2182
29th May 2007, 23:21
nope

sparkie2182

R798780
29th May 2007, 23:35
Phil
To abbreviate the text of your accounts would diminish them. Your penmanship compliments your memories. Makes good reading and fills in a lot of half remembered stories I heard or half heard over a few beers some time last century!

Jim S
29th May 2007, 23:39
Phil, Your description of Tony Dick is masterful. Just as I remember him. Being a cheeky little Glaswegian I used to take the p--s out of some of the way he said things - drawings were drawRings and at that time he lived on the Wirral PeninsulaR. That was until he caught me - he had away of administering Mr Spock from Star Trek "Vulcan Grip" that brought tears to the eyes. One of his passions was his Morgan 3 wheeler car - the one with the JAP engine mounted out front.
A great guy though and on Magdapur with Tony as 2/E and Jake Donnelly as C/E you can imagine it compensated for life on the oldest of the "Black Four"
I attach a photo of the pair on Magdapur in mid 60's.

benjidog
30th May 2007, 00:42
No.

Brian

Philthechill
30th May 2007, 06:41
Muchias grassybum (as they would say in Spain) for your replies chaps! I shall press on with my long-winded answers! It's the only way I know actually. I was well-known for the huge length of my reports when I was commissioning 'fridge plants, for my last employers, believing in the credo, "Why use one word when 10,000 are better?" See! Even THIS simple 'note' is turning into a Cecil B. DeMill (what ship was HE on then?) epic!!!! Burra salaams!!! P.S. If anyone wonders (No! Why should we?) why I'm up-and-about at this ungodly hour it's not 'cos I've got a dose of "The Channels" (or a dose of owt else come to that!) it's because I'm off to do my shopping at Asda. One thing I cannot stand is loads of rugrats screaming round the place, or monster queue's at the check-outs, so I go at sparrow-fart and avoid the crowds!! Toodle-pip!

Gulpers
30th May 2007, 10:38
Good!

K urgess
30th May 2007, 11:00
As another one who suffers from the verbal runs it's nice to read someone else's meanderings. Always interesting.
Keep it up Phil. Gives me an example to follow.[=P]

Cheers
Dusra chota burra mung sahib

Tony Selman
30th May 2007, 14:12
I am in complete agreement with everyone else. Keep up the good work Phil, we all enjoy your postings.

Those of you who were Masters or R/O's will recall that Head Office encouraged you to keep down costs by making messages as brief as possible and in some cases new words were added to the English language. One that comes to mind is "canst" which was used instead of "can you" thereby saving the cost of a word. Occasionally I used to receive almost incomprehensible messages where HO were particularly obscure which resulted in the Old Man and I attempting to decipher it.

The point of this is that one Brock's Captain I sailed with, but I am not sure which, was mildly admonished for sending too wordy a message back to Liverpool and he replied with a wonderful phrase which I have never forgotten, "I am not prepared to sacrifice clarity for the sake of brevity".

Phil obviously adopts the same policy and long may it continue. (Applause)

Philthechill
30th May 2007, 17:46
I'm quite overwhelmed by all t'messages of support (at least I think they're messages of support!!!!!). I think it was Gladstone, who replied to Pitt after an 8 hour speech in Parliament, "My honourable friend is drunk with the exuberance of his own verbosity!" I think that applies to me!! Ho-hum!!!! Keep taking the tablets!!!

Derek Roger
30th May 2007, 22:50
I am in complete agreement with everyone else. Keep up the good work Phil, we all enjoy your postings.

Those of you who were Masters or R/O's will recall that Head Office encouraged you to keep down costs by making messages as brief as possible and in some cases new words were added to the English language. One that comes to mind is "canst" which was used instead of "can you" thereby saving the cost of a word. Occasionally I used to receive almost incomprehensible messages where HO were particularly obscure which resulted in the Old Man and I attempting to decipher it.

The point of this is that one Brock's Captain I sailed with, but I am not sure which, was mildly admonished for sending too wordy a message back to Liverpool and he replied with a wonderful phrase which I have never forgotten, "I am not prepared to sacrifice clarity for the sake of brevity".

Tony I rather like that " sacrifice clarity for brevity " rather good !! and I am now awaiting my first chance to use it !!!
Derek

Duncan112
31st May 2007, 19:38

Interesting that this compressing words into 5 letter groups lasted into the e-mail era where it cost no more to express yourself clearly than it did to run the risk of misunderstanding by use of "abbreviations"

One thing that annoys me ashore is the increasing use of TLA's in MBA speak (That's three letter acronyms used by those that have a Master in Business Administration (Or Master of B***er All as those of us without refer to it as) without a glossary.

It's my fingers that I wear out typing, not anyone elses.

Duncan