Manchester Trader

tanker
7th March 2005, 16:09
I think Cboots will be happy to see MANCHESTER TRADER (Ocean ships 1966).

cboots
26th April 2005, 08:59
Yes, thanks for that one, a good photo, I can almost spot my old cabin. Built originally for Prince Line as one of the so called quadrant princes, there was a Southern Prince, there certainly was an Eastern Prince though she was before my time, there was Johnson Warren's Rowanmore, a sistership to the Western and Southern. As such they were really designed for Prince Line's old far east run and for general tramping and were not really well adapted to the freezing conditions encountered on the Canadian Maritimes trade in the winter months. Happy memories include going rounds on heaving and pitching decks turning the steam winches on and off every hour to prevent them icing up. On one occasion a solid sheet of ice manifested itself on the outboard bulkhead in the apprentices' shower. Ah yes, made men out of braces, as the sailors used to say.

f dunn
13th May 2005, 21:27
hi i was on the old mancester trader in 1953 it is nice to see she is not forgotten she was a good old girl happy time
fred dunn

Rennie Cameron
25th May 2005, 16:35
Both my brother and I sailed on the Rowanmore (him 1956ish, me 1964ish). Fond fond memories. I was on the Southern Prince (different H&W engine) relieving and again a great ship.

tanker
25th May 2005, 19:51
Rennie go to Prince Line ,you will see your SOUTHERN PRINCE.
Ciao
Gp

worswick
11th September 2005, 22:56
hi i was on the old mancester trader in 1953 it is nice to see she is not forgotten she was a good old girl happy time
fred dunn
did my first trip after leaving the vindi. on the old trader 29 sept 1955. sstayed on her all winter,god it was cold in st john n.b. and halifax n. s. was galley boy so managed to keep warm ok lol.

patchas
8th November 2010, 23:12
I think this photo is off the Prince line's Western Prince . I had the pleasure of being on her around about 1964 when she was renamed Manchester Trader and chartered to M/L

Keltic Star
9th November 2010, 05:26
Without a doubt the happiest ship I ever sailed on when she was the Western Prince on T/C to Manchester Liners 1961/62. Master, Bert Stephens (Hull Stevens.not Manchester Stephens), C/O Jimmy Grey, 2/O Mike Bowen, C/E Tommy Adams and C/Stw. Jimmy Pinder.