Northern Eagle

Steve Farrow
30th May 2007, 15:36
I am seeking information about an incident when one or more crew members were washed overboard from the Grimsby trawler NORTHERN EAGLE in the early 1960's. Can anyone help with this? I understand that 'Bunny' Bernard Newton was the skipper at the time.
Kind regards
Steve

melliget
3rd June 2007, 22:17
Steve.
Couldn't find any mention of the trawler Northern Eagle in The Times. Nearest to it was the report of an accident involving the Grimsby trawler Northern Sun off the coast of Norway in 1962, when first officer Roy Ferrand was killed and skipper, George Lively, badly injured. I don't think they were washed overboard though.

Seemed to be a number of mentions of Grimsby trawlers called Northern something or another. Some mentions of a Bernard Newton (not sure if the same man), particularly in relation to the "Cod wars" with Iceland in the 50's and 60's. In one incident, he got himself into hot water after locking some Icelandic police guards in his cabin and repainting the registration numbers on his Grimsby trawler Brandur. Sounds like a character.

regards,
Martin

trotterdotpom
4th June 2007, 15:23
Steve, from the "Lost Fishermen" section of Ray Richardson's "Sidewinder" site:

GY.22 Northern Eagle
H. J. Self. Died 8th November 1960.
S. E. Blackburn. Died 19th November 1962.

From the "Grimsby Skippers" section, Bernard Newton was Skipper of Northern Eagle from April to December 1962.

No other information. Maybe Ray can help.

Martin, Northern Trawlers were a large company with many ships - they were part of the huge Associated Fisheries group which also owned MacFisheries (remember them from every English High Street) and even, I've just discovered, the famous Harry Ramsden's Fish Shop near Leeds. In the early 70s (I think) they merged with or were taken over by Ross Fisheries and the two companies became British United Trawlers (BUT).

Bernard "Bunny" Newton has been mentioned on this site before. He did indeed do a runner from Reykjavik with two police on board. The ship had been arrested for fishing inside the limits. He was nicknamed "The Beast of Boston's" (Boston's being another trawler company) because he'd supposedly lost several men due to continuing fishing in unsuitable conditions. He was also rumoured to have a "two fisted" style of leadership.... I never met him but I had a landlord who was his ex radio operator and great friend and never stopped singing his praises. With the demise of the fishing industry, I heard "Bunny" went into the nightclub business or something similar. He died in tragic circumstances - murdered by his son. Talk about larger than life!

John T.

Steve Farrow
5th June 2007, 13:26
Thanks for that information. From it I have found out that S.E. Blackburn was the mate with Bernard 'Bunny' Newton and was washed overboard from the Northern Eagle when fishing in heavy weather on 19th December 1962.
Bunny Newton bought some launderettes when he packed up the sea. Then he bought a nightclub in Cleethoropes.....Bunny's Place and did very well, attracting big names at the time. It burnt down mysteriously when times were not too good. It re-opened as a bingo hall.
He was indeed killed by one of his own sons who shot him in his garage with a shotgun then went back into his house.....re-loaded and shot him again!
Regards
Steve

trotterdotpom
6th June 2007, 02:20
Wow, nothing like making sure! Did they ever find out why it happened?

Maybe the loss of the Mate on the N. Eagle was the start of some of the other stories.

John T.

Steve Farrow
6th June 2007, 12:06
I don't know the reason for the shooting only that it was an internal family arguement. A top barrister was hired and the judge was lenient by passing a four year sentence..............out in two!
He wasn't called the 'BEAST' for nothing. His tough reputation was legendary. He fished in terrible conditions, lost some men along the way but earned a fortune. Many of his crew stayed with him through thick and thin where others steered well clear.
I spoke to one of his deck hands who said that Bunny had been giving him a real hard time, and when he came down into the fish-room, he started throwing his weight around. He said "I just snapped. as soon as the skipper turned his back on me, I hit him as hard as I possibly could on his head with an ice shovel. He went down and I legged it up the ladder and hid. Not a word was mentiond about the incident and I continued to sail for several more trips!"
Regads
Steve

trotterdotpom
7th June 2007, 11:06
Thanks Steve. Presume there must have been some sort of "extenuating circumstances" to warrant such a lenient sentence. If there hadn't been a shotgun in the house, maybe it wouldn't have happened, who knows? Good job your mate in the fishroom only had shovel!

John T.

nicolina
19th June 2007, 06:03
Bunny the Beast once lost 2 men while fishing at Faroes

The trawler he was skipper on at that time was the Isernia

nicolina
19th June 2007, 07:29
George Lively who was relief skipper lost an arm in the incident

nicolina
19th June 2007, 07:34
Henry J Self Who Was One Of Northerns Top Skippers Was Found Dead In His Bunk As The Trawler Was On Her Way Back From An Greenland Trip

He Took Northern Eagle On Her Maiden Trip And Stayed In Her The Rest Of His Career

Had Also Taken Another New Built One Either The Northern Sea Ore
The Northern Isles

Was The Grimsby Skipper Who Fished Greenland Regularly

nicolina
27th June 2007, 03:05
The mate of Northern Sun killed in the accident ROY FERRAND was son of trawler skipper JOHN FERRAND of Northern trawlers GY
He had 2 brothers who also where skippers.
WILLIAM(BILL)FERRAND also skipper with Northern Trawlers GY
DAVID FERRAND Varios ships.Lost at sea while serving as mate on the BOJEN pair trawler wich capsized in the North Sea and the whole crew where lost

wolfee
20th July 2007, 02:19
Thanks for that information. From it I have found out that S.E. Blackburn was the mate with Bernard 'Bunny' Newton and was washed overboard from the Northern Eagle when fishing in heavy weather on 19th December 1962.
Bunny Newton bought some launderettes when he packed up the sea. Then he bought a nightclub in Cleethoropes.....Bunny's Place and did very well, attracting big names at the time. It burnt down mysteriously when times were not too good. It re-opened as a bingo hall.
He was indeed killed by one of his own sons who shot him in his garage with a shotgun then went back into his house.....re-loaded and shot him again!
Regards
Steve

Although I didn't sail with him, I was in his company a couple of times ashore and although preceded by a fearsome reputation, found him a generous and likeable host. My mother couldn't stand his name though, as apparently on the one trip my father did he amused himself by taking potshots at the crew on deck with an airgun.!!

Alan Duggan
13th June 2009, 11:55
Afternoon all, Bunny Newton seems like a very interesting character. Im sure there are many more untold stories about him.

Would anyone be able to supply a link for Ray Richardsons Site ?

aavh
13th June 2009, 17:06
You will find it here Alan...
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/grimsby.trawlers/main.htm

Alan Duggan
13th June 2009, 19:15
Thanks Andy.

bob huxford
14th January 2010, 21:49
Hi Steve . I was fifteen years old and on my first trip to sea as deckie learner on that fatefull voyage aboard the Northern Eagle when the third hand Siddy Blackburn was tragically lost overboard.I believe at the time we were fishing off the west coast of Iceland it was dark and the weather was very bad, many of the ships fishing in the area had already taken shelter we were one of the last ships to leave and I remember with the gear stowed away and the ship heading for shelter myself and other crew members were in the mess room when the skipper Bunny Newton came down from the bridge asking where the third hand was an immediate search of the ship showed no sign of him and a search of the area long into the night proved to no avail.
Siddy was third hand Steve not mate and was a well respected quietly spoken man much liked by all the crew.

Shane Johnson
16th January 2010, 07:52
Thread drift Bob but are you Lionel and May's son?

mattarosa
16th January 2010, 08:07
I've been looking for anything in the newspapers about the loss of the crew member of the Northern Eagle in December 1962. Unfortunately, I'm not well enough organised to be able to find things easily so haven't found anything yet. Since I can only look at national newspapers, it is always pot luck anyway as whether or not something was covered probably depended on what else was happening at the time.

Obviously losing people overboard happened from time to time, I'm not sure how often, but in the same year 1962, but in June, the Daily Mirror reported that the skipper of the Ogano (Harold Chandler, 48, of Cleethorpes) was lost overboard off the Faroe Islands.

Hilary

mattarosa
16th January 2010, 08:14
I did find an interesting item about Bunny Newton. I assume it is the same one. In January 1974 The Times described him as a "Grimsby business man" in a report about racing. Newton apparently owned a horse called Solid Silver which won the Mansfield Handicap Hurdle.

Hilary

MissSki
18th January 2010, 13:36
Hello all
If nobody minds me joining in this discussion, I'd be really interested if anyone has any additional about Harold Chandler, as mention by mattarosa.
He was a member of my family and I've been trying to find out any info about him - his life or death - for the last year or so.
He was lost from the Ogano near the Faroes in June 1962. He was usually skipper of the Scampton.
I've seen various newspaper cuttings and tried to get in touch with the few crew members I knew off but I keep reaching dead ends, so if anyone has any information I'd be really grateful.
Many thanks in advance

gkh151
1st February 2010, 21:16
Hi MissSki,

Other ships he took as skipper were Sturton august 1952 and Gregory date not known. It was wednesday 6th June 1962 when he was lost overboard from the Ogano.

Graham