Graham P Powell
2nd June 2007, 21:10
RML don't seem to be listed in the shipping companies so perhaps I had
better start the ball rolling!. I was 3rd R/O on Amazon /GVVV
and Aragon/GVVT. I remember the Aragon was under the command of
Captain Fox. The 2nd R/O Jack Barter later was killed on the
Royston Grange/GFDU. I can remember a Chief Purser called Stroud
and another purser called Nigel Yeo. After that things get a bit
fuzzy!. Had lots of wonderful times in Buenos Aires.
Brings back many memories. Thy later transferred the RML A ships
to Shaw Savill. I have a picture of one converted to a hideous car
carrier.

R396040
30th October 2008, 21:46
Hello Graham,
Yes its suprising Royal Mail hasnt had more attention.
I did my first trip to sea in Royal Mails "Loch Garth" as galley boy. She was a fine ship and great run to West Indies,thru Panama and up west coast of States & Canada that was in 1948 January. Later in the early fifties I also sailed on Drina, Durango and the old Gascony. Found them a good company to sail with. Am still a member of the Royal Mail Association which unfortunately is on its last legs ,like us old uns.........
Best wishes,
R396040 Stuart Henderson

KYRENIA
8th November 2008, 18:49
I too am surprised Royal Mail is not in main forums. Did first trip as sos in POTARO 1964.She was on her last legs then and we were on the P.S.N.C run down the West coast South America,ten ports from Panama to Punta Arenas.
Cheers John.

Ron Stringer
8th November 2008, 21:26
Anyone sail with Ben Blyth in Royal Mail? Met him at South Shields when he was doing 2nd Engineer's ticket. For a while we shared the same digs. His parents were living in Glenrothes at the time, but I don't know if that was his home town. A softly-spoken Scot, in 1964 he was the proud possessor of a (very) full set of red whiskers - in fact he had more hair on his face than on top of his head. Great guy, great fun to be out with (and we had lots of opportunity at South Shields.)

Jedbos
8th November 2008, 21:39
Hi Graham
Spent a week on the Amazon in London, waiting for the Salaverry to arrive

Gerry Keating
15th November 2008, 14:21
i found Royal Mail a verry good company sailed in the Pardo, Teviot, the Thessaly from 57 to59 six trips what a great ship and the salaverry deck dept

R58484956
15th November 2008, 15:11
Greetings Gerry and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

Pat Kennedy
15th November 2008, 19:33
Hi Graham,
I sailed in the Essequibo, and the Andes, as AB. Have to say I was not bowled over by either of these ships, but they weren't the worst I ever sailed in.
The Andes was a strange ship, every one seemed to have been in her for years, and there were many on deck, who did not appear to do any work whatsoever, but had cushy little jobs which took them out of sight from morning til night, when they would reappear, half drunk and well fed.
Weren't Royal Mail closely related to PSNC?
Pat

djmorton
15th November 2008, 20:57
Hi Pat,
Did my 1st trip at sea as 2nd R/O on the Essequibo in 1959. A good start I thought as it was a nice run - Bermuda, Kingston Jamaica, other West Indies
ports then back to London. I found it a nice ship and 12 passengers added to the entertainment. This would be a fair while before your time on her I'd say.
Can't remember offhand when she was scrapped.
Denis.

benjidog
16th November 2008, 00:04
There is a brief history and a whole set of photos of the Royal Mail Line in The Allen Collection (see below).

KYRENIA
16th November 2008, 01:32
Pat, yes, Royal Mail was very closely related to P.S.N.C., a bit like N.Z. and Federal. I believe the officers and established crew interchanged on the vessels. When i was on POTARO the Chief Officer came from REINA DEL MAR.
Cheers John.

Malcolm S
18th November 2008, 08:08
Ah! The good old days of Royal Mail.
Served my time with them. Was a cadet on the Pampas, 19th June to 3rd Sept 1962. Total sign off pay of 18 pounds (No pound symbol on this keyboard) zero shillings and 4 pence! Then sailed on the Loch Avon, Thessaly, Drina, back on the Loch Avon. Was on the Essequibo as 3rd mate, Pizarro, Orcoma then joined SSL.
Much water under the bridge since then.
I still remember the smell of 4 1/2 Rum Lane in Kingston, Ellie selling her fruit and the cry "I do your laundry sah! two shillin a shirt!"
Malcolm

rbarr
18th November 2008, 15:50
Did the last trip on the 'Alcantara'. One of the best ships I have ever sailed on. Also the 'Asturius' (MOT managed by Royal Mail). Lovely run Southampton to Kure via Cyprus, Aden, Colombo, Singapore, and Hong Kong. Happy Days!

Pat McCardle
18th November 2008, 19:26
Essequibo broken up 1976. Anyone remember Gordon Paine, a true gent.

olddog96
8th December 2008, 03:21
I sailed on the "Andes" for 5 years cattering dept. from early 61 to early 66 last 4 years in storeroom and pig. most of the crew had it easy going,but had to be prepared to look busy when needed. Vern.

paddy mcdonnell
8th December 2008, 04:50
Hello Graham,
Yes its suprising Royal Mail hasnt had more attention.
I did my first trip to sea in Royal Mails "Loch Garth" as galley boy. She was a fine ship and great run to West Indies,thru Panama and up west coast of States & Canada that was in 1948 January. Later in the early fifties I also sailed on Drina, Durango and the old Gascony. Found them a good company to sail with. Am still a member of the Royal Mail Association which unfortunately is on its last legs ,like us old uns.........
Best wishes,
R396040 Stuart Henderson
Hi Stuart,Paddy Mcdonnell here,I also on the Durango in the 50s, we went to Brazil,Rio and a small town called Rio Grande Do Sol,I als siled on the Loch Avon,that was in the 50s too,maybe '59,just wondering if our paths crossed?

roibaird7
10th February 2009, 02:04
Bob Gibson here-------done a trip on the DURANGO on her maiden voyage outta Belfast to B A or was it Montevdieo? tno cargo there -proceeded to New Zealand 2nd trip on her was to the Plate Catering

Eric Bennett
10th February 2009, 02:31
Hi Royal Mail crew.

I was SOS on the Eagle Oil tanker 'San Gaspar' in 1949. On one of our trips we arrived in Rio de Janiero about March 1949 just after the Royal Mail ship Magdalena on her maiden voyage struck a reef at the entrance to Rio de Janiero harbour and broke in half. The stern half was beached but the forepart sank. Rumour had it at the time that it was a result of too much celebrating of her maiden voyage. Was that true?
Regards
Eric

R58484956
10th February 2009, 11:45
For some reason or other the maiden voyage and reefing of the Magdelana always seems to draw a blank when trying to find out the facts of said voyage. The term "Insurance" always seems to pop up. I was told once "forget about the Magdelena"

notnila
10th February 2009, 22:26
Did a very enjoyable 4 1/2 months in the"Pardo".1961 Brazilian coast,17 years old,great crowd,ship was pretty Spartan,but there again she'd had a hard life.

Pampas
16th February 2009, 21:37
Joined RML 1962 and served for 6 on Lock Gowan,Ben Blyth was the freezer and had a good voice and most attentive female company, in those days his profile was almost simular to the Capstan ciggie emblem,blown up full size head in the smoke room .all the girls thought it was him in the flesh. The Andes being my last ship with RML hard working keeping all the electrical staff very busy. Now permenently retired but still dream of the good and bad timezss. Gordon Paul

geoff johnson (lofty)
28th April 2009, 08:47
I am after a photo of the HIGHLAND PRINCESS,I went back to London on her
from Del Plata in late 1948. I always remember seeing her in the London docks when I was a boy. Geoff Johnson (Lofty)

fred henderson
28th April 2009, 13:21
Lofty

There are a number of photos of Highland Princess in the Galleries:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/search.php?searchid=323940
The ship is also covered in my history of RMSP under Lord Kylsant in the SN Directory
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides/Royal_Mail_Steam_Packet_Company_Kylsant_Empire_Par t_4

Regards

Fred (Thumb)

stores
28th April 2009, 22:01
hi, sailed on mv tuscany, to west indies and spanish main, plenty of photos of royal mail ships on photoship,.com regards, STORES

georgeq
15th June 2009, 19:29
has anybody got photos of the following ships

shonga3 elder dempster

potaro royal mail 1957

sts sans fabian eagle oil

thanks georgeq

Roger Squires
22nd July 2009, 21:57
Sailed on the MV albany as Junior Engineer 1969, my first trip to sea, Loaded Continient . For Renuion Island ,and back loaded madagasger /Renuion Island for europe Old Man came From Hull.Chief engineer ,Jo Richardson(Think That is correct) 4th engineer Jo Patrick From liverpool.Lecky Stuart Walker.
Roger Squires

Graham P Powell
13th September 2009, 18:02
Some interesting recollections of RML. I had a good time on their ships. It was a nice run to BA and back. Happy days as they say. I am trying to find out what happened to 2/R/O Bob Petch from E. London.

Dickyboy
8th October 2009, 12:23
I sailed on the "Andes" for 5 years cattering dept. from early 61 to early 66 last 4 years in storeroom and pig. most of the crew had it easy going,but had to be prepared to look busy when needed. Vern.
I sailed on the Andes Aug 65 - Mar 66 as JOS Remember the ''Pig'' well, like a gambling den. Plenty of Camp catering staff in their posh frocks. Fag Ash Lil the wine waiter comes to mind as does Amber. Sods Opera, great fun.
Good ship, but everything had a price. Some crew made fortunes out of their shipmates.(Cloud)

w.craig
11th October 2009, 20:14
First 2 trips as 2nd R/O was on the Drina. Chief R/O was originally from Eilie in Fife, but lived in Liverpool. 3rd Mate thought he was some thing special,hardly spoke to me on both trips, but took great delight when he had to borrow 10sh on paying off in London, made him ask me twice.

Anthony Holmes
15th July 2010, 21:42
hi, sailed on mv tuscany, to west indies and spanish main, plenty of photos of royal mail ships on photoship,.com regards, STORES

Hi from Anthony (Tony) Holmes

I signed on the Tuscany as a EDH ,Middlesbrough Feb 1964 and left June 1964. When were you serving on her?

sternlight
3rd March 2011, 18:09

shonga3 elder dempster

potaro royal mail 1957

thanks georgeq

I HAVE A PHOTO OF THE POTARO ,reply to email s.p.garrod@hotmail,co,uk

DickG
31st March 2011, 14:17
In the late 1960's Furness Whity's North Pacific service and same of Royal Mail were combined. Can anyone tell which was the tradename for this service for that moment on? I suppose Royal Mail but I am not certain. Furthermore in 1970 CIENFUEGOS was transferred from PSNC to RML ownership and renamed CHANDELEUR. Was she transferred to RML-service as well or did she remain on PSNC service like the other PSNC vessels which were transferred to RML ownership at the time? In 1970 PACIFIC ENVOY, PACIFIC NORTHWEST, PACIFIC RELIANCE and PACIFIC STRONGHOLD were transferred from FW to RML ownership, be it that they were sold shortly afterwards. Did they trade with the yellow RML funnelcolors in this last year or were they chartered out to other companies? On which service was SOUTHERN PRINCE (1970 transferred to RML)?
Thanks for any information you might have.

Dick Gorter
Netherlands

Pat Kennedy
31st March 2011, 15:29
I sailed on the Andes Aug 65 - Mar 66 as JOS Remember the ''Pig'' well, like a gambling den. Plenty of Camp catering staff in their posh frocks. Fag Ash Lil the wine waiter comes to mind as does Amber. Sods Opera, great fun.
Good ship, but everything had a price. Some crew made fortunes out of their shipmates.(Cloud)

Dickboy,
I narrowly missed sailing with you.... well, by 5 months, I paid off her in April 1965 in S'hampton, jaded by watching 'Goldfinger' 3 times a week in that pig. Everyone knew the script backwards, and every word of it was yelled out by the inebriated audience, especially "PUSSY".
Pat[=D]

michael charters
31st March 2011, 17:15
In the late 1960's Furness Whity's North Pacific service and same of Royal Mail were combined. Can anyone tell which was the tradename for this service for that moment on? I suppose Royal Mail but I am not certain. Furthermore in 1970 CIENFUEGOS was transferred from PSNC to RML ownership and renamed CHANDELEUR. Was she transferred to RML-service as well or did she remain on PSNC service like the other PSNC vessels which were transferred to RML ownership at the time? In 1970 PACIFIC ENVOY, PACIFIC NORTHWEST, PACIFIC RELIANCE and PACIFIC STRONGHOLD were transferred from FW to RML ownership, be it that they were sold shortly afterwards. Did they trade with the yellow RML funnelcolors in this last year or were they chartered out to other companies? On which service was SOUTHERN PRINCE (1970 transferred to RML)?

;Dick Gorter
Netherlands
They Sailed with Buff Yellow coulour AS rms pACIFIC ENVOY NAMED Lock Ryan

michael charters
31st March 2011, 17:27
Joined RML 1962 and served for 6 on Lock Gowan,Ben Blyth was the freezer and had a good voice and most attentive female company, in those days his profile was almost simular to the Capstan ciggie emblem,blown up full size head in the smoke room .all the girls thought it was him in the flesh. The Andes being my last ship with RML hard working keeping all the electrical staff very busy. Now permenently retired but still dream of the good and bad timezss. Gordon Paul

Gordon Paul. Hi Matey Did you sail on Loch Ryan? If you did i was Second Electrician along side you. Relived Jim Downie. Heard you finished on Shell Tankers? Am retired and living in Ohio USA.
Good site this SN. Met other engineers from long past.
Mike charters

tunatownshipwreck
31st March 2011, 18:36
They Sailed with Buff Yellow coulour AS rms pACIFIC ENVOY NAMED Lock Ryan

That's what I remember, too, they kept the somewhat yellow funnels.

robin
31st March 2011, 20:20
Hi, I was the Assistant 'Chippy' on the Amazon in the early 60s. She also carried a Plumber and Assistant, good news for us ! The thought of 'Sanisnakes' and blocked toilets still makes me heave !! The 'A' boats were fitted with stabilisers that tended to give them less roll but didn't stop the pitching movement. Great times spent down on the South American coast well remembered.
Regards,
Robin.

DURANGO
1st April 2011, 08:34
Does anyone remember the old bosun aboard Durango he was in her for years he used to build ships in bottles his name was as far as I remember Fred Walden great old boy best wishes to all hands Dave .

harryredvers
17th April 2012, 21:20
wrt Dickyboy #28: I rock-dodged in the Loch Gowan c.winter '65 as R/O. Your reference Plenty of Camp catering staff in their posh frocks. struck a chord. I don't know if it this happened when I joined her in London or if it was in Hamburg a few days later. Having dinner I felt there was something unusual about the stewards, something distracting. They were very smart, accommodating and efficient waiters but there was something about their appearance that didn't seem right. Then I realised it was their hair , it seemed odd.
I was going ashore after dinner with the writer and while I was making my way down the accommodation to meet him I passed the saloon. As I did the door opened and two of the stewards came out both weighed down with make-up and wearing low cut, full-skirted colourful frocks. Their hair was back-combed and brushed up in the 60s bouffant style reminiscent of Dusty Springfield et al.
I have never forgotten this dramatic revelation.

apraynor
2nd October 2012, 18:51
carrier.
Hi All,
I am looking for a John Wrake, a great uncle, who served in The Royal Mail Line until the early 1950's, I believe he was in the Alcantara in the war but can find no trace from 1947 to 1950 when he was a Master and had hoped to take command of the Andes but did not get it. Any snippits would be useful.

Thanks

R58484956
3rd October 2012, 09:30
Greetings apraynor and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Ron Walker
28th October 2012, 21:44
Essequibo broken up 1976. Anyone remember Gordon Paine, a true gent.

I remember his cigarette holder and his cravat.

ALAN TYLER
1st January 2013, 14:14
Anyone got any info/history on the Somers Isle, I believe it was with PSNC then Royal Mail in the 1950,s.

A.D.FROST
1st January 2013, 14:51

shonga3 elder dempster

potaro royal mail 1957

thanks georgeq

try, http://www.photoship.co.uk/Search%20Links%20Ship/

gadgee
4th January 2013, 23:01
Anyone got any info/history on the Somers Isle, I believe it was with PSNC then Royal Mail in the 1950,s.

Photo and some history here:-

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/266586/title/somers-isle/cat/510

There are a few more pics in this Gallery= just do a search.

Leratty
5th January 2013, 12:17
I thought that Royal mail & PSNC were aligned. I sailed on one PSNC ship the Cienfuegos two trips. First we had a true 'fruit loop' Capt. which became apparent as we sailed down the Thames at night. I have mentioned it before on this site he was taken off in Panama & apparently sent home suffering a mental break down. He had a song he used to sing on the bridge which went "The working class can kiss my a...e as I have got the skippers job at last." Very droll for a Capt. ? He was a small man, short, always angry I recall. He also used to berate the 3rd so violently in front of the wheelman it was embarrasing & ususally over quite trivial matters too. The poor 3rd used to poop himself when the Capt. suddenly appeared on the bridge. Believe the C/O replaced him as Capt. from memory? She was not an overly happy ship on that trip. A No stepped ashore in Panama before they knew Capt. was gone. Once he was out of it things picked up. We went to Caribean, Central America & Mexico. 2nd trip was Caribbean & we went through a very serious cyclone. I remember going down to the docking bridge which was a interesting trip in its self as no deck safety lines set to get some pic's of the seas, enormous swells in lines with large white tops breaking way over our heads from the wind just amazing! We were rolling to an frightening degree so pretty hard to hang on all quite scary yet exciting to. It went on for at least two days as I recall? That, the former might have been my youth? Also did trip on Potosi more enjoyable. Richard

ixion
28th January 2013, 15:16
I have a picture (in fact an unused post-card issued at Bradwell on Sea ) of what I believe are the Darro and Deseado both laid up in the River Blackwater there together with a Union Castle R Class rtefrigerated cargo ship. It is unusual in that Royal Mail Lines did not usually lay-up there. I wonder if anybody has any recollections of that time eg a slack period probably the early to mid 1960s

geoff. foxton
28th January 2013, 16:23
Royal Mail ships I was on- Paraquay 1962/3, Eden 1964 and Albany 1964/5

Geoff.

Sailtie
29th January 2013, 08:57
Royal Mail ships I was on- Paraquay 1962/3, Eden 1964 and Albany 1964/5

Geoff.

We must have sailed together Geoff. My discharge book tells me I was 3rd Mate of Albany from September '64 to August '65.

geoff. foxton
29th January 2013, 16:37
I was only on her as EDH from 30/12/64 - 06/01/65, Tees to Victoria Docks, still it was same time and same ship.
Regards
Geoff.

R396040
29th January 2013, 19:16
Royal Mail

Loch Garth Galley Boy Jan 1948
DurangoA/S 1949
Drina A.S 1949/50 ?
Gascony A/S " " "

Good company good runs WI and W coast USA

Stuart H

Sailtie
31st January 2013, 16:58
I was only on her as EDH from 30/12/64 - 06/01/65, Tees to Victoria Docks, still it was same time and same ship.
Regards
Geoff.
We were on board together for 2 days. I signed on for the deep sea voyage on 4th Jan 1965. By 'on board' I probably mean in the pub. I think The Graving Dock was closest.
All the best

michael charters
31st January 2013, 19:09
Sailed with yellow buff funnels under Ocean fleet management I think.

Dick Gorter
Netherlands

SAILED WITH YELLOW FUNNELS UNDER OCEAN FLEET MANAGMENT I THINK

busbar
9th February 2013, 21:20
Hi All,
I was with RML between 1965-1966. Stood by Essequibo as relief lecky in Avonmouth during dockers' strike. First time I saw a stripper was in a night club in Bristol! Recalled to London. Rejoined her in Liverpool in Dec 1965 on PSNC charter to WCSA. Anyone remember the Yakko bar in Callao? Came home via Straits of Magellan and Montevideo. Master was John Anderson. Paid off Liverpool March 1966. Rejoined next trip where we were under charter to KNSM and had funnel painted in their colours. Carried three Dutchmen as supercargo. They brought their own beer with them! Master was James Holt. A certain Malcolm S was 3rd Officer. Paid off South Shields July 1966. They stupidist thing I ever did was to leave the company then. I have bitterly regretted it ever since.
Regards to all.
David Chambers
Co. Down
Northern Ireland

Leratty
10th February 2013, 08:12
busbar, Yackos was in Valpo not Callao must tell you. Best thing I ever did was to leave that Co, did two trips Cienfuagos & one on Picardy. Straits of Magellan sure are beautiful went through them both ways several times have some terrific slides I took of that Area. Have since sailed through them on a yacht too & even more spectacular. I have mentioned it before we had a Capt. on Cienfuagos who flipped his lid & taken off in Panama + a crew of Scousers who were not a happy bunch. 2nd trip on her was pretty good all interesting though they were not good feeders. Picardy OK but again scousers who seemed to not get on with each other.

busbar
10th February 2013, 23:28
Hi Leratty,
Thanks for the correction on Yackos. I'm suffering from too many birthdays! I must have been lucky with my shipmates on the Squib as they were Scousers too. Going through the Straits on board a yacht would be really getting close to nature.
Regards

TEAPOT
18th April 2013, 02:57
did atrip on DRINA in the 60s,one of the best painted ships isailed in,remember one breakfast,one of the abs told the cook he could read the paper through the bacon,cooks reply "it came from skinny pigs".abs comments can"t be put to public eyes.

Malcolm S
19th April 2013, 00:17
Hi All,
I was with RML between 1965-1966. Stood by Essequibo as relief lecky in Avonmouth during dockers' strike. First time I saw a stripper was in a night club in Bristol! Recalled to London. Rejoined her in Liverpool in Dec 1965 on PSNC charter to WCSA. Anyone remember the Yakko bar in Callao? Came home via Straits of Magellan and Montevideo. Master was John Anderson. Paid off Liverpool March 1966. Rejoined next trip where we were under charter to KNSM and had funnel painted in their colours. Carried three Dutchmen as supercargo. They brought their own beer with them! Master was James Holt. A certain Malcolm S was 3rd Officer. Paid off South Shields July 1966. They stupidist thing I ever did was to leave the company then. I have bitterly regretted it ever since.
Regards to all.
David Chambers
Co. Down
Northern Ireland

Greetings, The Master during the KNSM charter was Anderson. I remember how he did not let the Dutch Captain pay us a cash bonus at the end of the trip, instead it had to be paid through the company and therefore we had to pay tax on it. We did enjoy the Amstel beer though. I still have slides taken during the trip.

Malcolm S

Sailtie
19th April 2013, 09:15
Greetings, The Master during the KNSM charter was Anderson. I remember how he did not let the Dutch Captain pay us a cash bonus at the end of the trip, instead it had to be paid through the company and therefore we had to pay tax on it. We did enjoy the Amstel beer though. I still have slides taken during the trip.

Malcolm S

Be nice if you could post some of the slides Malcolm. I remember the Essequibo with some affection. Daddy's yacht.

john lee
15th August 2013, 22:06
Sailed on the MV albany as Junior Engineer 1969, my first trip to sea, Loaded Continient . For Renuion Island ,and back loaded madagasger /Renuion Island for europe Old Man came From Hull.Chief engineer ,Jo Richardson(Think That is correct) 4th engineer Jo Patrick From liverpool.Lecky Stuart Walker.
Roger Squires

hi roger i was also on that voyage as deck boy, unfortunately i didnt finish off the trip. if you remember i was washed down the foredeck in rough weather and fractured my femur. ship had to turn back and i was put ashore in port elizabeth.

Deepwater916
24th August 2013, 02:14
Anyone sail with Ben Blyth in Royal Mail? Met him at South Shields when he was doing 2nd Engineer's ticket. For a while we shared the same digs. His parents were living in Glenrothes at the time, but I don't know if that was his home town. A softly-spoken Scot, in 1964 he was the proud possessor of a (very) full set of red whiskers - in fact he had more hair on his face than on top of his head. Great guy, great fun to be out with (and we had lots of opportunity at South Shields.)

I made several trips with Ben Blyth on the D boats probably Durango, Darro Freddy Scot was C/E @ the time, on a NZ trip Iwas S/2/E and Ben was my J/2/E He ought to have a photo of the upper alleyway engineers posed at Xmas time in Timaru I think. We had 15 engineers in those days.

Deepwater916
24th August 2013, 02:35
Essequibo broken up 1976. Anyone remember Gordon Paine, a true gent.\
I remember Gordon. Accurate description. Did my first trip on the squib as a junior eng then got to 4/E with Ian Causer as 2/E .... 3 cracked ME cylinder liners and a hurricane ,sugar from Cuba>Casablanca about a month transatlantic on 3 cyls.. rationed freshwater. Then off to the A boats, Amazon for a vacation as 4th with Kenny Lowes, promotion (what a laugh) to the Parima.as 3/E.. what a bloody wreck. Broke down in London docks, broke down in the Thames...made it back..then off to the Darro as J/3/E..got my 2nds ticket..took out the Tuscany for a few trips then took my chiefs... more D boats... then steam time on the Loch Garth with Stewart C/E until she broke her stern frame in Antwerp then joined Loch Ryan (Pacific Envoy) for more steam time and swallowed the anchor.

Ivor Lloyd
24th August 2013, 09:20
I was rescued by MV Darro after being torpedoed in the Indian Ocean Jan 1944. She was on the way to Australia but due to the No of survivors (112) she turned back and landed us in Aden.
A long time ago !
Ivor

Deepwater916
24th August 2013, 18:06
Sailed on the (squib ) Essequibo, Amazon, Parima, Darro, Tuscany, Durango, Darro again as Sen 2nd Eng then Loch Garth, Loch Ryan, (Ryan was Pacific Envoy) took the Loch Loyal for the continental trip, Eden round the land. Ben Blyth was my J/2/E on the D boats Kiwi.Ozzie trips.

Deepwater916
24th August 2013, 20:35
SAILED WITH YELLOW FUNNELS UNDER OCEAN FLEET MANAGMENT I THINK

Pacific Envoy was renamed Loch Ryan and sailed under RML colors with mostly Furness crews (apart from me getting my steam time that is.)

Rusty Tusc
3rd September 2013, 14:24
Hi, I sailed on the MV Tuscay as Junior Engineer 1967/68.We ran aground in the St Lawrence and were iced in for several days then spent a month in drydock

Leratty
3rd September 2013, 17:03
Ivor, what ship were you on when you were torpedoed in the Indian ocean in 44 & how long was it before you were picked up by the Daro? Did all survive? What an experience not a place (not that any would be) I would like to be in the drink.

Rusty Tusc
4th September 2013, 13:52
Hi. I sailed on the Mv Tuscany as junior Engineer 1967/68. We ran aground in the St Lawrence and were iced in for several days then spent a month in drydock. 4 wk trip turned into 4months, anybody out there was there?

Rusty Tusc
8th September 2013, 14:21
Hi from Anthony (Tony) Holmes

I signed on the Tuscany as a EDH ,Middlesbrough Feb 1964 and left June 1964. When were you serving on her?

Hi, I sailed on Tuscany 1967/68 as Junior Engineer, she was on charter to Cairn Line and we went to Montreal, Toronto, Quebec and back for a year. then back on Caribean run.
Cheers.
Arthur ( Rusty Tusc) Hannan

graham durrant
31st October 2013, 12:36
carrier.

Hi Graham,
This reply is a long time comming. I was with Royal mail in 1970-71.
I was on the Duro in the later part of the 70s and 71. We did 2 trips: Rio, Santos, Montevideo, and Bueno Aires, Then back to London. she was a fridge ship carying general cargo out and frey bentos beef home.
I remember the A boats well. However they were being sold of at this time. Sad to here about the car carier!!
Coincadently the Duro was formaly the Hardwick Grange. On one of those trips, we saw the Royston Grange tied up in Montevideo. It was also avery sad site. She looked intact apart from the blackend Portholes and bridge. You probably know the story. She was struck to one side in a fog, by a tanker in the river plate. the impact ruptured the fridges gas tanks. The gas was then taken in and distrabuted throughout the accomadation by the air conditioning. A flash fire then followed, sadly killing all hands, as far as i know.
I would like to see that pictur if possible Graham
All the very best.
Graham.

Wismajorvik
7th November 2013, 16:51
I did a couple of trips as 3rd R/O on the Amazon in 1963. Senior R/O had been on the run for about fifty years. He had a valve endorsement on his ticket to prove he had moved with the times. Anyone visiting the shack would believe he was busy with traffic as he sat with 'phones on and typing away. He was actually writing a novel. Re. an earlier post regarding the stabilisers, the ship used to pitch awkwardly and frequently.

gadgee
7th November 2013, 18:08
Hi Graham,
This reply is a long time comming. I was with Royal mail in 1970-71.
I was on the Duro in the later part of the 70s and 71. We did 2 trips: Rio, Santos, Montevideo, and Bueno Aires, Then back to London. she was a fridge ship carying general cargo out and frey bentos beef home.
I remember the A boats well. However they were being sold of at this time. Sad to here about the car carier!!
Coincadently the Duro was formaly the Hardwick Grange. On one of those trips, we saw the Royston Grange tied up in Montevideo. It was also avery sad site. She looked intact apart from the blackend Portholes and bridge. You probably know the story. She was struck to one side in a fog, by a tanker in the river plate. the impact ruptured the fridges gas tanks. The gas was then taken in and distrabuted throughout the accomadation by the air conditioning. A flash fire then followed, sadly killing all hands, as far as i know.
I would like to see that pictur if possible Graham
All the very best.
Graham.

Photo of wreck of Royston Grange taken by me here:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3968/cpage/2/title/royston-grange-wreck/cat/523

Vindi Phil
7th November 2013, 19:48
I sailed on the DARRO in 1961 when she was named ,Ship of the year by the breakers. One of the worst ships I sailed on. I thought I,d give them another go and took the Essiquibo in 1963, it was better but not much. Gave up on Royal Mail then.
Vindi Phil.

KEITHMAR
7th November 2013, 21:11
A very interestig thread ....Do any of you know what happened to 1st Elect eng Mr A:E COOKE Who very very patiently and very strictly formed Me from a very wet behind the ears first tripper into a twenty year served man !It started on DeseadoAugust 1964 Liverpool bound for Buenos Aires Me scared shotless but thanks to that lovely man I had a life of a dream come true....Thank you Tony Regards to all KEITHMAR

Malcolm S
8th November 2013, 04:17
I've said it before - and I'll say it again --
Royal Mail should have a proper place in the Shipping Lines Forum, not just a subsection under "Other Shipping Companies"
Royal Mail was one of Britain's oldest and best known companies, it was a house hold name in its hay days.
Its house flag was flown with pride over Leadenhall Street.
Lets put it back where it belongs.
Malcolm

TONY CLYNE
16th January 2014, 14:28
I was rescued by MV Darro after being torpedoed in the Indian Ocean Jan 1944. She was on the way to Australia but due to the No of survivors (112) she turned back and landed us in Aden.
A long time ago !
Ivor

My Grandfather Arthur Robert Osburn was Master of M.V.Palma torpedoed and sunk off Ceylon in 1944 is this the same ship you were on.

Graham P Powell
30th January 2014, 09:39
Just looked at the picture of the Royston Grange. Very upsetting. What a tragic end to Jack Barter who had been on the S.America run since 1939.
A colleague at GKA also lost relatives who had been passengers on board and were unable to get a berth on their usual ship a Blue Star one.
Luck of the draw I suppose.
rgds
Graham Powell
PS I agree with you Malcolm RML should be listed as shipping company proper not where it is now.

China hand
30th January 2014, 18:59
Can't you ask the webmaster to put RML on a seperate heading? I'm sure he would do it.

DURANGO
1st February 2014, 17:32
It looks like our wish has been granted good to see the old company up amongst the other great outfits from the golden days of our lives I was in 5 of their ships all good trips with good shipmates .

Geoff Grundy
7th March 2014, 02:12
Hi my name is Geoff Grundy (nickname was Barney) i was with RML from 1965 to 69 & yes wish i had never left. 3rd Elect on Amazon 65/66 with Rudy Lockhart, Dai Ross, & Jimmy McAughtrie(Elects). RD Jones,Andy Beveridge,Bob Petch,Pedro Stroud,Pimplehead Mortimer,Dickie Dabinett,Peter Hunter -died 2008,Odgie,Martin Rasor,Clagger Reid,Peewee Purves,Jim Stewart -died some yrs ago,John Fuller,John watson,Mike Short,Willy Patrick thats a few for you all to think about! After that went 2nd Elect Loch Loyal 67/68 have left a message on that thread if you care to have a look.Then i went to the Eleuthera as Senior Elect in1969 with Fred Dickenson & others. Went to sea for 3/4 yrs and stayed for 44, did my last year on Ben My Chree with IOMSP. Still go to NW Area dinner in Dec, Eileen Jones widow of RD is still alive or was 15 months ago. Well i think thats all, be interesting to see what replies i get. Cheers, Geoff (private message me)

spongebob
7th March 2014, 04:50
Did anyone know engineer Archie Arnott, A Scot who last sailed on the Andes about 1958/59 as supernumerary second before joining the Union Co of New Zealand. He was our chief on the Navua and a great guy.
I believe he went to Canada and sailed on the Lakes after marrying a NZ girl.

Bob

Geoff Grundy
7th March 2014, 12:25
Did anyone know engineer Archie Arnott, A Scot who last sailed on the Andes about 1958/59 as supernumerary second before joining the Union Co of New Zealand. He was our chief on the Navua and a great guy.
I believe he went to Canada and sailed on the Lakes after marrying a NZ girl.

Bob

Sorry that was before my time, my era was 1965-69. Rgds Geoff

david dunlop
26th March 2014, 22:37
I sailed on the old (GASCONY) as Seamans ( PEGGY). What a job, never mind we had a good crowed of lads.some good run ashores,I wonder if any of the old lads are about now,I can only remember an E.D.H. his name was Fred Guyot. We did the Spanish Main Run, had a month in Kingston, I loved the place,and did many more trips there over the years on various Royal Mail Ships. Would like to hear from any shipmates.

Leratty
27th March 2014, 08:32
I did a half trip on the Tuscany, Panama to London early 60's. Nice ship from memory happy crew though did no shore time with them.

R396040
27th March 2014, 17:50
I sailed on the old (GASCONY) as Seamans ( PEGGY). What a job, never mind we had a good crowed of lads.some good run ashores,I wonder if any of the old lads are about now,I can only remember an E.D.H. his name was Fred Guyot. We did the Spanish Main Run, had a month in Kingston, I loved the place,and did many more trips there over the years on various Royal Mail Ships. Would like to hear from any shipmates.

Hi David. Was amazed to read your entry and the name GASCONY after all these years. Rushed and got dis/bks out to check on dates I sailed on the old. ship. See I signed on 10/12/49 and off again 4/3/50 a good date to sign off as my birthday 5th march...... 19 years old,good God !!!! Was asst Stwd, Enginners Stwd actually and remember she had wooden decks in cabins which needed scrubbing on hands & knees. no mops in those days...... Did the West Indies and of course Kingston was always a favourite with the rum. My first ship was Loch Garth and also did Durango before Gascony, Was at sea 47 to 77.
Stuart Henderson. Still got couple photos(

TONY CLYNE
27th March 2014, 19:48
Anyone out there sail on the Atlantis on its final voyages 1950/51 under Captain Arthur Robert Osburn

TONY CLYNE
27th March 2014, 20:30
To apraynor posting 2/10/12. My grandfather was a senior captain late 40s and if your Gt. Uncle was expecting to get Andes he must have been a senior as well as it was the Flagship. I understand my g/father was one of three captains in line for commadore capt. but RML couldn`t decide who to give it to so a junior to them was given it, if your G/uncle was one of these three that is probably the reason he didn`t get the Andes.