Staffing at Leadenhall Street?

Bridie
4th June 2007, 20:40
Trying to remember the name of the person in charge of staffing for mates and cadets in the 60's. Think he was an ex 2nd mate? Anyone help?

FREEBEE
7th June 2007, 20:38
Hi Bridie,
I think the person you are after was a D.A. HUME, I still have my BSL contract and he was the guy who signed it. That was in 1965.
Freebee

Cap'n Pete
8th June 2007, 09:36
I was interviewed by Mr Hume in 1966, prior to joining Blue Star. He shared a desk with about 10 others and I remember being squeezed into a corner, sat on a stool, while he conducted the interview.

I believe he was an ex-2nd mate, who'd had an accident or somehow been invalided out of sea-service.

I remember when my father died. I asked for a week's extension to my leave so I could attend his funeral and help my mother settle his affairs. Hume only allowed me to stay for the funeral itself, and had me on the train an hour later.

Bridie
8th June 2007, 20:01
I was interviewed by Mr Hume in 1966, prior to joining Blue Star. He shared a desk with about 10 others and I remember being squeezed into a corner, sat on a stool, while he conducted the interview.

I believe he was an ex-2nd mate, who'd had an accident or somehow been invalided out of sea-service.

I remember when my father died. I asked for a week's extension to my leave so I could attend his funeral and help my mother settle his affairs. Hume only allowed me to stay for the funeral itself, and had me on the train an hour later.
Thanks FREEBEE and Cap'n Pete. That's the man. (Thumb)
I was interviewed in the same manner.
Wish I'd kept the letter he sent me telling me I was no longer with BSL as I was "not officer material" (cadet, so no contract).

speedbird501
13th July 2007, 20:23
Better be careful what I say here as I know that D.Hume attends the BSL reunions. When I worked in the Marine Dept at Leadenhall St [manager W.Cox] Hume was known as 'pongo zoom' the first name being because of his personal hygene and secondly because on being summoned by old Cox, he would rush to get to Cox's office and woe betide anybody that was in his way. I seem to remember him pushing people out of his way in his attempt to create a good impression with a speedy arrival in Cox's office. Those offices were certainly from the 'dickensian' age and we used to be issued with a hand towel for our exclusive use in the toilets, which by the end of the week was a sodden rag. I remember Arthur Spencer as being a complete gentleman from another era, Oh well, happy days I suppose!