Bamenda Palm from 1963

Christopher Roberts
5th June 2007, 12:55
I should like to have a chat to any one that sailed on the Bamenda 1963 / 1968 or do'nt the viewers of this site go that far back.
Regards
Chris Roberts

Bridie
5th June 2007, 13:22
15/11/66 - 31/01/67 Edh

lakercapt
5th June 2007, 15:09
I should like to have a chat to any one that sailed on the Bamenda 1963 / 1968 or do'nt the viewers of this site go that far back.
Regards
Chris Roberts

Go to the "Palm Line Section"
Plenty of old shipmates there.
That the year I bid them a not so fond farewell

Christopher Roberts
6th June 2007, 12:49
Hi Pete, I think we may have sailed on the same voyage - I sailed from Hamburg on the Bamenda 15/11/66 and discharged Rotterdam 31/1/67 these dates appear to coinside with your dates- do'nt reckonise you from the photo- but the beard might have some thing to do with that !

Bridie
6th June 2007, 20:45
Some memories:
We had 2 passengers (couple) in owners suite and a Christmas or New Year barbecue on the boat deck - off Lagos I think. Deck crowd were invited. Poor woman had to dance with just about everyone!
I had been down the West Coast before, so I did a lot of night watchman duties in port so that I could go ashore and look around during the day. Particularly remember enjoying wandering around Fernando Pů by myself. Quite different from British (ex) Colonies!
Not sure if it was that trip, but played football (reserve!) against a Norwegian ship in Apapa and also against a shoreside expatriot team in Sapele.
We had to leave an older AB in hospital either in Accra or Takoradi. He was a bit of a "heavy drinker" and the Ghana Gin had got the better of him.
Can't remember if I had the beard then, but certainly long haired "deck cowboy".
Take it you were "down below".

Christopher Roberts
7th June 2007, 12:46
Hi Pete,yes I was "down below" I remember those passengers an elderly couple - well they seemed elderly to me I was 23years old at the time - and yes I remember that Christmas swinging on the hook outside of Lagos. I'll have to put my "thinking cap" on and see if I can remember some other things.