Stories about my late father?

Liam smyth's daughter
5th June 2007, 19:43
My dad was called William Joseph Smyth. He was from County Cavan and used to work on Shell and BP tankers In the 70's. He also worked on a ship called the Saskia, which used to go to Sharpness In Gloucestershire. Other ships included, Tarmac, later Hovringham iv and v. I would love to hear anything about him. He sadly died In 1988 of lung cancer at the young age of 39 years. I am his only child (I think! (LOL)) aged 34 years. Thank you for reading x

kottemann
5th June 2007, 19:45
Welcome on board Liam Smyth's Daughter I hope you find some info on your father

Gulpers
5th June 2007, 19:51
Liam smyth's daughter,

A warm welcome to SN from the Isle of Anglesey.
Have a good look around the site - I'm sure you will find something of interest.
It would be nice to think that some of our members remember your Dad and may be able to to give you some information. (Thumb)

Liam smyth's daughter
5th June 2007, 19:57
Thank you Ray, we used to live in Holyhead once upon a time! :)

stevecz
5th June 2007, 19:58
Hi, Liam Smyth's daughter, do you have the names of the Shell ships your dad was on.

Liam smyth's daughter
5th June 2007, 20:06
No, I'm afraid i don't stevecz :-( It was during the 70's Is all I know. I will see If any family know.

Hello to you too kotteman.

Thank you for the warm welcome! xxx

Liam smyth's daughter
5th June 2007, 20:07
I remember he used to LOVE wearing his S.T.U.K. jumper though! :-)

Liam smyth's daughter
5th June 2007, 20:10
He used to be a cook on one ship, and thought he was a FANTASTIC cook LOL Sadly he cooked a macarone cheese using chopped up dry spaghetti!!! LOL Maybe THAT will jog a few memories? My mum used to join him on some ships, Barbara Allen.

stevecz
5th June 2007, 20:12
He used to be a cook on one ship, and thought he was a FANTASTIC cook LOL Sadly he cooked a macarone cheese using chopped up dry spaghetti!!! LOL Maybe THAT will jog a few memories? My mum used to join him on some ships, Barbara Allen.

Isn't that how you do make it?

Liam smyth's daughter
5th June 2007, 20:27
Is that how you make 'ship's macarone' ?! LMAO! I thought you had to use the proper macarone pasta ;-) LOL

Liam smyth's daughter
5th June 2007, 21:12
Another thing that springs to mind, is that he used to like to 'mend' things, radios, clocks etc. He brought home two huge ships radios, a bit at a time In his white canvas bag. (ROFL) He also brought home a reel to reel tape machine and an (sorry about the spelling) oscilliscope?

jim brindley
6th June 2007, 09:30
wellcome to nsn . stay with us you might find what you are after .old sinner jim

R58484956
6th June 2007, 09:52
Greetings Barbara and a warm welcome to the site. Enjoy the site and all that goes with it. Bon voyage.

gdynia
6th June 2007, 10:44
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

Liam smyth's daughter
6th June 2007, 10:50
Thank you all, my name Is Katherine, by the way, my mum is Barbara ;-)

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 14:05
Sorry the pics are bit big! That's my mum, top left, then dad wearing the white polo neck In the group photographs. I think the man bottom left was called Jan, my dad's very good friend, so he told me!

I have no idea who the others are! Any info would be most welcome, thank you x

Coastie
8th June 2007, 14:59
Hi Katherine. A warm welcome to S.N. from "Sunny Holyhead"! I hope you find lots of information on your Father.

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 15:00
again, any info welcome :-) No idea which bp tanker this is!

kottemann
8th June 2007, 15:01
Nice pic of the customs house here in Dublin the large chap with the beard looks very familiar for some reason

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 15:02
thanks coastie! I sooooooo wish i was In sunny Holyhead now! My dad Is buried in the catholic cemetry there and I don't get there as often as i would like :-( x

Coastie
8th June 2007, 15:04
I don't live far from there.

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 15:07
thanks for the reply Kottemann, I think my mum was at cork airport in that picture of her too! They lived In Dublin for a while (I was made there apparently ;-) )
Coastie, my dad sailed with a man called John Hughes form Holyhead, one of his hands was missing his fingers I seem to remember. I wonder Is he still around? Do/did you know him?

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 15:09
We may be visiting Holyhead In the near future Coastie :-) Must have a beer! ;-) x I am not sure If my mum donated some ships radios to the Holyhead Coastguard.

Coastie
8th June 2007, 15:10
I may be able to help you there, a colleague of mine thinks he knows him. Would he be in his 50's?

Coastie
8th June 2007, 15:13
We may be visiting Holyhead In the near future Coastie :-) Must have a beer! ;-) x I am not sure If my mum donated some ships radios to the Holyhead Coastguard.

You said my favourite word BEER!! I look forward to that!(==D) (==D)

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 15:20
LOL!!! Yes! Beer! You gentleman! Yes he would be In his 50's! OOOH! Fab stuff! I would love to hear from him, or get in touch with him! You made my day THANK YOU AGAIN! xxx *mwah!* xxx

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 15:40
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9731/netmumsdad003zf7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 15:48
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/7261/timsdec06292nk1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Me with my two boys, Liam and Bernard

GALTRA
8th June 2007, 16:30
Hi Katherine, The SASKIA was owned in Dublin and was on a container run at one time. I seem to remember her in Sharpness about 1968 and the crew drinking with us in the Hotel there, but I'm afraid Ican't remember your dad, he may have been there, wish you all the best in your quest for info on him, Charley. PS John Baird has a photo of her and hopes to post it on the gallery for you soon.

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 16:36
Does S.S. Aun mean anything to anyone? He was on that as young lad I believe. He wrote this:-
Say a prayer for me
when i am out at sea
In the red sea warm
even in a storm
The GOOD SHIP AUN
she will never go down
On top of the sea
she forever will be
the captain (can't read this word) good
as every skipper should
I don't give a heck
I'm on the deck
The guys that make her go
all work down below

LOL He sent that along with a picture he painted of the ship :-), to his mother.

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 16:41
Thanks so much GALTRA, that Is more than I knew about the Saskia! I know she came to sharpness, as that Is where my mother was from and where I now live!!! There was a man called John Gilooli (sorryfor that TERRIBLE spelling of the surname!) who worked with my father on her.

You are all so kind! xxx

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 20:10

Sorry for the VERY cheeky one on the top left!!! ;-)

GALTRA
8th June 2007, 22:07
Yes Katherine, Gilly as we knew him was from Galway and was a seaman on the OWENDUV of Greenore Ferry Services with me in 1968. After I left the ship early in 1969 I believe he married a girl from Sharpness and settled there . His name was John Gilhooley, big tall nice guy. Charley

Liam smyth's daughter
8th June 2007, 22:20
That's right! He has divorced In the last 10 years and moved on. He used to tell me that my dad was the only bloke he knew that could go on a russian ship and come back with booze and cigarettes! LOL He used to laugh about the long brown mac my dad used to wear too! Yes, John was/IS a great guy!

Thanks Charley! :-)

Andy
9th June 2007, 09:35
Please do not embed huge images in posts (I have altered the massive collages to save the thread layout).

Please link to large images or resize them and use the recommended method of attaching them to a post via the 'manage attachments' button, where they will appear as thumbnails that can be opened by others with a click.

thanks,
Andy

Gulpers
9th June 2007, 09:44
Please do not embed huge images in posts (I have altered the massive collages to save the thread layout).

Please link to large images or resize them and use the recommended method of attaching them to a post via the 'manage attachments' button, where they will appear as thumbnails that can be opened by others with a click.

thanks,
Andy

Much tidier Andy. Thanks! (Applause)

Liam smyth's daughter
9th June 2007, 11:18
Ooops! Sorry about that! xxx

Liam smyth's daughter
10th June 2007, 23:42
Course, that should be M.S AUN (sorry) and you may have known him as Bill/Billy.

Liam smyth's daughter
11th June 2007, 18:05
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9731/netmumsdad003zf7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

written on the back of this is:-

DRY DOCK PARTY OFFICERS BAR, M/V BR KENNET, MAY 20th 1978

Liam smyth's daughter
11th June 2007, 18:09
on the back of the one with him holding a walkie talkie Is :-

SELF ON DECK-WATCH, RAS TANURA, SAUDI-ARABIA (the date printed was christmas 1977, on the paper of the photograph)

Liam smyth's daughter
11th June 2007, 18:20
Novemeber 1978 WILLEMSTADT, CURACO
R.FORBES IS ONE NAME ON THE BACK OF ANOTHER
ROWLY ON ANOTHER

OCT 1977 3 PEOPLE'S BIRTHDAY PARTY, (JOE'S, NIGEL'S AND BOB)

LEFT-RIGHT PAUL GP3 OLIVER KEVIN NIGEL WOLFE KEN FLEETHAM GP1

MIDDLE- BOB EDWARDS GP2 HARRY ROSE KEN (JANNER) STEVENS

LOWER- BOB FORBES GP1 'MY DAD' MICK STEAD GP?

(Hope that makes sense!)

Again, any information on what any of that means, would be welcome :-)

Liam smyth's daughter
11th June 2007, 18:33
Going back further, I have a small pic of a ship, with this on the back

ON M.S AUN AT QUAYSIDE IN SAINT JOHN, NEW BRUNSWICK, CANADA, SEPT 21st 1966

Also, one of my dad, written on the back is:-

on M.S HANNE SKOV, DAGENHAM DOCKS, ESSEX, ENGLAND 13th NOV 1969

AND a picture of a ship (taken from a ship) :-

M.S PACIFIC SKOV, IN DRY DOCK, SCHIEDAM, HOLLAND, TAKEN FROM M.S HANNE SKOV ALSO DRY DOCK .(6). 17 NOV 1969

with two other men in a pub:-

TOWNSVILLE, AUSTRALIA 1969

Hope this helps