Capt "Sam Weller"

Peter Martin
11th June 2007, 11:26
I sailed on the Fulani in 1969 and did a trip from UK to W Africa and then from Dakar to East Coast USA. A wonderful and friendly ship. I have my midshipman's log book which covers that voyage if anybody is interested!

eldersuk
11th June 2007, 23:44
I take it you sailed with 'Sam' and found him to be a great Master as did everyone who sailed with him.
Sadly, Sam died on 20th July 2006 at the age of 92.

Derek

Peter Martin
12th June 2007, 00:25
Sorry to hear this. A great man with a sense of humour and time for youngsters!

Argyll
18th July 2007, 17:37
I take it you sailed with 'Sam' and found him to be a great Master as did everyone who sailed with him.
Sadly, Sam died on 20th July 2006 at the age of 92.

Derek I take it from your handle your an Ed man do you remember two masters Robbie Munroe and George Armstrong . I was AB for three years with ED a good company I sailed with Robbie twice On the OTI and again on the DEGEMA I sailed with George on the Dumurra. the forth mate on Dumurra was Hector Thomson who is native to the part of the world I stay n and lives about 10 mile from me ,he is now retired,
Argyll

eldersuk
18th July 2007, 23:23
I knew the names Robbie Munroe and George Armstrong but never actually sailed with them. As I recall they were two of the Paddy Henderson masters who transferred into Elders.

Derek

Argyll
19th July 2007, 21:06
I knew the names Robbie Munroe and George Armstrong but never actually sailed with them. As I recall they were two of the Paddy Henderson masters who transferred into Elders.

Derek

Derek I know that george was a Paddys man I don't know about R.Munroe,
Thanks for comming back,
Alistair

purserjuk
20th July 2007, 11:31
Robin Monroe was an ED's man. He joined the Company in October 1952 and stayed with them until retirement in 1982.

eldersuk
20th July 2007, 23:28
I stand corrected John

Derek

kevinseery
3rd August 2007, 21:25
Aha we meet again Peter!! Keeping well I hope?

Peter Martin
18th August 2007, 09:20
Aha we meet again Peter!! Keeping well I hope?
Indeed, Kevin, quite so! Lost contact with nearly all from those happy days! Bill Catterall, Mike Bowness etc. How's things with you?

stan mayes
3rd September 2007, 15:15
I have just received the sad news that Edward Leslie Gilbert has crossed the bar..on 23rd August 2007..
Les Gilbert was a Chief Steward with Elder Dempster/ Ocean Fleets during the 1970s -1980s..

Howard S
10th September 2007, 19:38
I sailed on the Fulani in 1969 and did a trip from UK to W Africa and then from Dakar to East Coast USA. A wonderful and friendly ship. I have my midshipman's log book which covers that voyage if anybody is interested!

Peter your name is familiar. I sailed with Capt Sam Weller in the Eboe as Purser Cadet. Laurie Edwards was the Purser - where is Laurie these days?

graham wilson
3rd November 2008, 22:05
Recently joined.Nothing has saddened me more than the passing of "Sam Weller" In his younger days he was football mad, I was Second Mate with him in the "Zini" and I think one of the "C" boats.He kept pursuading me to re-sign because I scored him a few goals! I have a reference from him somewhere that is so OTT I cringe! One of the nicest men I have known.You get old yourself,but you think your hero's last forever. Maybe they do
Regards
Graham Wilson

Peter Martin
4th November 2008, 10:49
Sam was a very 'sociable' creature. At the start of every trip he called a meeting of the social committee and we worked out a programme of functions for the voyage. Included were 'Lido Lunches', 'Quiz Nights', 'Horse Racing', 'Deck Tennis' , 'Deck Cricket' and, of course ad hoc football matches against any other ship we happend to be tied up with. One voyage we made ended up with us being diverted to the US from Dakar and as it was the four Middies first visit to the 'Land of the Free' he made sure that we had sufficient time to go ashore and see the sights. He was also kind enough to make sure we had a little extra, fro his own pocket, so we could 'enjoy'.

J Smith
4th November 2008, 16:24
I did two voyages with Captain Weller on the Calumet in 1954 - 55 and would echo the above comments that he was a real gentleman. I also have an entry in my discharge book of coastwise trips with him in 1964.
Regards - James Smith.

Terry calpin
5th January 2009, 23:53
James we could have been on the Calumet at the same time, in 1954 I was deck boy on her, June to Sep; Terry Calpin ,york

J Smith
6th January 2009, 16:35
Hello Terry -

Looks like we just missed each other on Calumet. I joined her at Hull on 29.09.1954 and did her final three voyages before E.D.'s sold her.

Best Wishes - James Smith, Aberdeen.

Terry calpin
20th January 2009, 15:25
thank you James it was a case of ships that passed in the night.
Terry

John-M
26th February 2009, 10:26
Sailed with Sam Weller on the Pegu in 1965/6.
I have a photo of Sam ashore on a skiing trip to Frabosa, while the ship was alongside in Genoa.
Will post the photo in the Life Onboard section.
As everyone one says, a great man.

JohnM

jameshatfield
3rd August 2013, 17:43
Hello Terry -

Looks like we just missed each other on Calumet. I joined her at Hull on 29.09.1954 and did her final three voyages before E.D.'s sold her.

Best Wishes - James Smith, Aberdeen.

hello james, sorry I cannot recall you but I also joined the calumet on the 29.09.1954, as I remember we left hull to load cement at the blue circle cement works at northfleet opposite tilbury. it was a long time ago james so please forgive my memory. it was my first trip and captain weller was the best captain I saild with in my 30 years at sea R.I.P SAM. Aii the best james, happy memories, would do it all again, jim.

chadburn
3rd August 2013, 19:41
Any idea who would have been the Scottish Master of the E.D. Sokoto around 1983?

eldersuk
4th August 2013, 02:15
Many stories to be told about Sam.

The Ship Adoption Society sent a load of schoolkids with four or five teachers to Liverpool to look round the ship one Saturday. Naturally Sam took over. Eventually a couple of teachers took the kids home while the others stayed on board for a few drinks, dinner and a good session in the Seven Steps, to be sent on their way rejoicing at about midnight wondering what had happened to them.

Derek