Trawlermen 2 TV Series

Gavin Gait
11th June 2007, 20:58
I've just had an Email from William Ancell at the SFIA to confirm that the BBC have put back the start of the new series until Monday the 18th of June I think the time is the same either 7 - 7:30 or 7:30 till 8 pm thru till Friday.(Thumb)

treeve
11th June 2007, 22:24
Thanks for that Davie ... just about three hours a week decent tv,
that will increase my viewing time and enjoyment immensely.

newda898
11th June 2007, 23:09
Ah fantastic, thanks for the notice!
Will make every effort to see all the episodes this year; last year I missed a few.

Gavin Gait
12th June 2007, 16:52
I will have my DVD recorder set to tape this series. The last series was repeated 2 months after the first time round but they put it out one night a week for 5 weeks instead of nightly for a week so if you do happen to miss an episode don't panic it should be repeated later in the autumn(Thumb)

hawkey01
19th June 2007, 21:52
Davie,
have watched the first two and enjoyed them very much. I could not under any circumstances stand the hardship and weather. Very brave men and I salute you all. Ref the two trawlers Amity and Ocean Venture.I note that the latest picture of OVenture has her with a dark hull. Is she not red hulled in the series? Obviously had a paint job.
Hawkey01(==D)

Gavin Gait
19th June 2007, 22:01
No the Amity has been Red for years and the Ocean Venture has been dark Blue for years too. My DVD recorder has decided to throw a wobbly ( I know real technical term lol ) and i've lost my 2 days recordings , luckily for my my cousin has taped it so i'll get a loan of the tape next week lol

hawkey01
19th June 2007, 22:09
Davie,

thanks for that. It must be me watching the big green ones heading in and me going B----- H--- or similar or maybe I'm going colour blind!!

Hawkey01(Jester)

Gavin Gait
20th June 2007, 21:25
News of an hour long special episode for later in the year guys. Spoke to one of the crew of the Ocean Venture and the camera crews have been out to Denmark filming the engine repairs/replacement for the extra episode.

Davie

Gavin Gait
21st June 2007, 21:29
I just had to laugh at young Willie Tait resorting to "vocal encouragement" of the crew when they'd left the winch brake on.... in other words standing above them shouting at the top of his voice lol (==D) to be fair it is very noisey on the deck of any fishing boat especially the big pelagic boats.

It was good to see James Buchan on the Renown fishing , one of the very few single seine skippers left in the fleet. I did a trip with James in 1996 doing discard research work and we caught a LOT of fish that week lol.

The thing is for all the years i've been a fisherman / scientist / etc i've never heard of the bit of ground they were calling the Graveyard , guess James just didn't want anyone knowning where he was lol.

Davie(Thumb) (Jester)

Binnacle
21st June 2007, 21:57
Brilliant series, all credit to the BBC cameramen standing up to the weather. The crews all played their part. I think it was said that the bridge electronics
on Chris Andra cost three million .

mark m
21st June 2007, 22:02
LOL Have too laugh at Kevin ,mate on the Amity -either moaning their not in the right place or moaning their catching too much .
Some lads are never happy .
Quite a character

Gavin Gait
21st June 2007, 22:17
What really made me happy was that Jimmy Buchan ( Amity ) stopped fishing to let the crew get some sleep. In times not that long past it would have been fish until you dropped !!!

£3m for the bridge electronics on the Chris Andra would be about right , might even be an underestimate as these 3D 360' sonar sets are very very expensive and she will have 3 !!

The Sonars can locate fish out to 1200m horizontally and down to 1000m and can tell the difference between a Herring , a Mackerel , a Horse Mackerel ( Scad ) , Blue Whiting , etc ( each fish has a swim bladder and the sonar uses different frequencies which can detect the return sound from each type of fish )

Coastie
23rd June 2007, 14:30
Amazing. What WILL they think of next??

Gavin Gait
23rd June 2007, 16:14
I'm pretty sure it was the Fishery Research Labs accross Europe that helped to develop the Sonar Coastie. The Simrad EK500 was a good set but the one on the old Scotia was limited to directly below the hull not 360'. Each fish has a different size of swim bladder so the sonar "ping" gets returned at a slighty different frequency which is how they can tell if its a Herring or Mackerel , etc.

Coastie
23rd June 2007, 16:32
That's just brilliant, Davie.

sparkie2182
23rd June 2007, 18:05
what would be the cost of one of these discriminating sonar davie?

hawkey01
23rd June 2007, 18:40
Davie,

James Buchan came over as a very calm and laid back skipper! Has he sold the Renown or was that just a somber end to the series?

500 tons in one haul for the Chris Andra - amazing - then off home.

Good series

Neville - Hawkey01

wbeedie
23rd June 2007, 19:22
Wasnt the Renown that was put up for sale but the Fruitful Harvest which has now been sold to Buckie

Gavin Gait
23rd June 2007, 20:42
Davie,

James Buchan came over as a very calm and laid back skipper! Has he sold the Renown or was that just a somber end to the series?

500 tons in one haul for the Chris Andra - amazing - then off home.

Good series

Neville - Hawkey01

It was the Fruitful Harvest 3 PD247 that was sold Neville. She's now Buckie owned and is out at an Oil Guard job ( where they standby an unmarked pipeline or wellhead to keep other fishing vessels clear ) while they sort out the quota transfer then they are away to fish with her.

Jame Buchan is a very calm , laid back Skipper. I did 6 days on the Renown doing discard research work in the 1990's and never heard anyone raise their voices unless it was noisey and even then only enough as be heard.

As for 500t haul , not bad but nothing like the Altaire LK429 who had 2 landings in January/February ( I think 3 or 4 hauls each time ) and landed 2000t and 2100t for a days fishing.

what would be the cost of one of these discriminating sonar davie?

I don't know the correct figure but the old style ( 1st edition if you like ) of these were £350,000 each so i'd think no less than £500,000 each. They have a sonar pod which lowers beneath the hull containing around 60 sonar transducers so its the cost of that plus the sonar equipment in the Wheelhouse with the display that costs so much.

Davie

thetailer
24th June 2007, 00:33
aye Davie, truth be told, if the prawns were on ye just emptied the cod end and shot, i've been on boats (a FR boat too) the hopper was full and overflowing intae boxes and still towing, ended up in Canna clearing oor feet, by the way isn't Canna weel named 'cos ye cannae dae nothing, nae phone reception, nae bunkers, nae ice, ah but if ye phone ahead the nice folk will leave a motor on the harbour tae tak ye tae the boozer. but seriously it was a great series and i felt for the guys especially Sandy, are there any more planned? Will Sandy gae back tae sea, widnae think sae, but i've been there mysel.......
yours aye.
stevie(Sad)

Gavin Gait
24th June 2007, 11:42
I think Sandy has finishd with the Fishing Stevie but he will probably go to the standby boats now ( Oil Rig Rescue Vessels ) now that he has sold the boat.

As for having a deck full and shooting away again well it was the white fish seine net that I saw that most often in the days before the fish hoppers. To explain to the non-fishing we used to stack 30 empty fish boxes along the side of the deck and open the cod end over them , we'd pull out full boxes and stack them in the gutting shelter putting down empty boxes and repeating emptying/stacking until the net was empty with sometimes 200 boxes of fish to sort through and gut ( with small fish sometimes you were lucky to get 50 boxes of keepable fish , this was in the 1980's when the nets were smaller mesh so kept a LOT more small fish than nowadays ) and you'd shoot the net again and at the seine net 90 minutes later up the net would come again so you never managed to clear the deck !!!

hawkey01
24th June 2007, 12:43
Davie, Beedie,
sorry got the name wrong. 2,000 t is on big load of fish.

As an aside - I dont know why folk worry about you using the dialogue when writing. They should have had the pleasure of trying to communicate with some of the boats on RT. I had a few difficult ones when I was up at Stonehaven Radio!!

Hawkey01