Kuwait Shipping Co

Pages : [1] 2

Peter Martin
12th June 2007, 09:26
Anybody here sail with KSCo? I did one trip with them as 3rd Mate in 1974. Mate was a splendid chap named Peter Everett. He later gained command with them and appeared in a national newspaper after rescuing a boatload of Vietnamese boat people in the S China Sea.

Janner100
13th June 2007, 21:25
I had an interview lined up with KSC in 1974 but chose instead to sail with SSM (mistake as it turned out)

baileysan
18th June 2007, 21:36
Peter

Posted reply some time ago, seems it never got through for some reason.
I sailed and worked ashore with UASC(KSC) for 20 years. Knew Peter Everitt very well indeed, he sailed Master for some years until unfortunatly the company changed over to Indian Officers.

rothesian
18th June 2007, 21:56
seem to remember a Norman Bolland Ex-Blue Flue 2nd mate who was warden at Aulis after Len Holder going to KSC around 1967/68 as either Marine super or personnel

Charlie_Wood
18th June 2007, 22:05
I had an interview lined up with KSC in 1974 but chose instead to sail with SSM (mistake as it turned out)

I had an interview with them in 1976, where they scoffed that whilst the vessel I was on, Clan Alpine, was the newest cargo ship in our fleet it was older than all of theirs.

Whilst working my notice on that voyage I thought I might as well write to all the companies that were advertising. I ended up with Harrisons(Clyde)(the best move I ever made!!!).

Peter Martin
19th June 2007, 10:02
seem to remember a Norman Bolland Ex-Blue Flue 2nd mate who was warden at Aulis after Len Holder going to KSC around 1967/68 as either Marine super or personnel
Another refugee from Aulis was Jim Turner, Assitant Warden who also went to KSC as Marine Personnel wallah.

Moulder
25th September 2007, 17:38
Does anyone remember Satchiko? - I think she was a mature student (learning English) who used to come aboard KSC ships in Yokohama with her photo albums.
She would set out her photos, usually in the bar, for all to peruse and maybe see yourself a few trips back, or recognise old shipmates. "Satch" would also paint portraits and cut hair - when invited down to the saloon for a meal (which was often) she'd go through the complete menu - salad as well as the main course.

Regards,

Steve.
(Thumb)

baileysan
25th September 2007, 21:47
Steve

Memories. I remember her very well, she was part of the fittings in Yokohama for many years. In fact i have some photos of her somewhere.
Many guys tried to romance her but to my knowledge no one suceeded.
As you say she was there for the food!!
I met her when i was ashore with UASC again in Yokohama, she was alway made welcome by Tokyo Office guys, last I heard was she married.

Happy days.

Moulder
26th September 2007, 17:19
Hi Tom,

Thought that would get you up from the engine room!

I was sorting through a few things and came across a water colour portrait "Satch" did of me - must have been when on Al Ahmadiah.

What a character she was - glad to hear she's spliced.

Happy Days indeed!

Steve.
(Thumb)

johnclement
27th March 2008, 16:18
I sailed with Kuwait Shipping (shortly to become United Arab Shipping Co) from 1976 to 1980 as Purser/Chief Steward - Ibn Bassam, Ibn Duraid, Al Salehiah, etc (see my profile) --- any memories of that period would be welcome.

John Clement

candpet
6th April 2008, 11:22
my one memory of chief stewards in ksc is that they thought it was thier money they were spending,although in fairness most of them were ok.
does anyone remember a guy called peter porter?i think he went to work ashore in kuwait.
what ever happened to all the people who worked for them.
i sailed on loads of the old ships,ahmadiah,salamiah,mubarakiah,those were the days,six weeks at anchor in mauritius.
interesting reading.keep it going

candpet
7th April 2008, 19:51
baileysan

hows maureen?still drinking her tea out of a china cup?
how many people know that?
what do you do with yourself in retirement?

guess who

JimC
7th April 2008, 20:19
Does anyone rememebr a chap named Norman Hodder?

baileysan
7th April 2008, 21:31
nice to hear from you but still guessing. Have sent you private message.

Peter Fielding
7th April 2008, 21:49
Did my last trip at sea on M.V. Danah, which was operated by P.&O. on behalf of Kuwait Shipping Company. I joined her in Middlesbrough in July 1979, and left in Chiba (Japan) in January 1980.

Howard S
8th April 2008, 02:15
Does anyone rememebr a chap named Norman Hodder?

I recall a Capt. Mike Hodder - Ibn Rushd I think.

JimC
8th April 2008, 22:26
I recall a Capt. Mike Hodder - Ibn Rushd I think.
This one was ex Shell and employed as a Training captain. Another name might be Capt. John Scott

candpet
10th April 2008, 11:52
to albier
well now youve got me guessing!i think this could be fun,we may have the whole of ksc trying to find out who we are!!
i joined in 1970,and was interviewed by capy brockbank,wow.
did you ever sail with erm let me see!!!! george donnison for example and what were you

candpet
10th April 2008, 12:08
baileysan
didnt get a message
i sailed with you once
what was the second name of the two chief stewards who were brothers one was charles?

AlbieR
10th April 2008, 21:44
Candpet.
Beat you by two years 1968 and interviewed by Ron the Con. Harry was the other brother and they were the O'briens.

IAINT
10th April 2008, 22:25
I sailed with KSC (UASC) as R.O. on - AL RUMAITHIAH (1972),
AL JABIRIAH (1973-74)
IBN MAJID (1975)
IBN KHALDOUN (1975)
IBN TUFAIL (1975-76)
AL KHALDIAH (1976)
IBN HAZM (1977)
IBN AL MOATZ (1977-78)
ARAFAT (1978)

Regards
Iain T

baileysan
11th April 2008, 22:28
Candpet

O'Brian was the name I think. What ship did we sail on together. Peter Porter is no longer with us, a long story.

baileysan
11th April 2008, 22:34
IAINT

I was Chief on Rumaithiah from May to November 72. Did voyage to Japan plus Gulf etc.

baileysan
11th April 2008, 22:37
AlbieR

I think we know each othe very well. Hows life with you. I still keep in touch with a few old colleagues of yours.

AlbieR
11th April 2008, 23:28
Baileysan
Yes it's me, last time I spoke to you was at Liverpool Catherdral. Life is not bad. Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a cracking photo of Al Mubarakiah taken when she was handed over to the Kuwaiti's. Tried to send it through your PM but it was full.

candpet
13th April 2008, 11:44
hi tom

i sailed with you on the al mubarakiah.ken coomes was 2nd parry old man.
look at the quotes the clues are there.

albie

i must know you.

i loved the early days at ksc there wre just more characters then you could shake a stick at.

IAINT
13th April 2008, 20:10
Hi Baileysan

Only aboard Al Rumaithiah for a couple of weeks (coastal trip) 28th Nov 72 to
12th Dec 72.

Regards
Iain T

candpet
16th April 2008, 16:43
tom

do you remember a lad called rupert the bear.?

albie

im sure you do

tyrol
28th April 2008, 18:21
Hi Iain, I sailed on Ibn Khaldoun 1974 as R/O July to November. The only names I can remember Jake Scallan, first mate and Bob the third engineer. Loaded Sulfur and cement around the gulf red sea and bombay. Pakastani crew, curry for breakfast lunch and dinner. I had a great cabin, radio room ensuite!
Jog your memories?
Tom

IAINT
28th April 2008, 21:08
Hi Tom,

Joined Ibn Khaldoon at Dammam on 30th Aug 1975 - abandoned at sea on the 22nd Sept 1975 (engine room fire). The OM if i can remember correctly was called Hughie Dyer ? Karachi crew. Very nice Spanish built vessel, good accommodation. Were on the way to Japan to load pipes for Kharg Island.

Regards
Iain T

tyrol
29th April 2008, 14:23
Tks for reply Iain, nice to meet you, yes I had hrd about the engine room fire didn't realise it was abandoned, was the vessel lost then? Can't rem the om name I sailed with he was a big heavy bouncing chap, full of energy I will check my discharge book, maybe Peter something or other. Chap called Les the lecky, 2nd mate was ex Zim line. WE spent the summer in the gulf a/c broke down never forget the heat. 45 with no a/c. Was the Tx a Crusader? It broke down on me, had it repaired in Kuwait. Have you any photos of Ibn Khaldoun? Like to see them. I have one. Rgds, Tom.

stan mayes
29th April 2008, 17:10
Hi Iaian and Tom,
I have an interest in IBN KHALDOON..In Feb.1974 I flew with a gang of riggers to Bilbao and we helped sail the newly built ship to Antwerp.
Her Master was Capt.Toni Bassi.
There are other postings re this ship in the Forum -
'Kuwait Shipping or UASC' ,type in this whole title..
Baileysan informed me the ship was later salvaged and returned to trading - I believe with Greek owners.
I would also like to see a photo if you have one..
Regards - Stan

IAINT
29th April 2008, 19:44
Hi Tom and Stan,

Believe after we abandoned the vessel she was taken to Bahrain, but from there have no idea what happened to her. As she was Spanish built the radio equipment was all local but i could be wrong ?. Sorry don't have photo of Ibn Khaldoun.

Cheers
Iain T

AlbieR
30th April 2008, 21:12
I was on one of the small Rusians in the Gulf when she went on fire. I seem to remember that the QC valves for the main engine didn't work and she was steaming around on fire unmanned, but it was a long time ago and the brain cell is not what it was!

baileysan
30th April 2008, 22:12
Hi all

I have a photo of Ibn Khaldoun when she was Valle De Ayala. I,m afraid you will have to bear with me as my scanner is kaput.
She did indeed have a serious engine room fire in the gulf en-route to Japan.
My grey cells cannot positvily remember the OM but I will work on it. I think it was Willie Frampton. I was Superintendent at that stage and was sent out to Bahrain where she was brought to the anchorage. The Chief Superintendent, SA Surveyor and I lived on board the alongside Dutch salvage tug for a few days assessing the damage and as I was familiar with the layout assisting the salvage crew in making the engine room water tight etc.
Some time later she was declared a CTL and we handed her over to the salvage company. at some later date I heard she was bought "as is" by a Greek owner who had her towed to Greece, repaired and put back into service. Her final name or history I do not know.

KSC ,or UASC as it was by then, built two more of the class in Bilboa,Spain, Ibn Majid and Ibn Zidouin, I spent some time during the building and handover. Nice ships and the orginal idea was for them to transport heavy construction pipes for the Gulf but this fell through and they were used for general cargo which was a disaster from the cargo handling side. They were sold off fairly soon.
A little story after the event, I was on holiday in Teneriffe some years later and the waiter at some fish restaurant recommended a white wine, Valle de Ayala. Very nice wine too.

stan mayes
30th April 2008, 22:48
Tom,
Thankyou for the extra information,I had believed she became a CTL within a few weeks of her maiden voyage.
It means Captain Bassi was no longer in command.
Stan

candpet
1st May 2008, 11:33
hi all

i stood by the building of ibn majid in bilbao,never thinking that years later i would own a restaurant in spain,all be it in the south.
fires....i was on the al ahmadiah,on my honeymoon trip when she had a hold fire and we spent six weeks in l,pool.
my wife and i took my mother in law to see her and as we came over the hill she said look at all that smoke ,there must be a ship on fire.......bloody mothers in law!
paul talbot ( aka rupert )

IAINT
1st May 2008, 19:22
Hi Everybody,

Sailed on the 'Ibn Majid' from 1st Feb 1975 till 16th June 1975. Re 'Ibn Khaldoun' engine room fire - we had just bunkered in the gulf before voyage to Japan - there was a leak from a gas oil pipe onto a geny and up she went - even sealing engine room and sprinkler system on did not have the desired effect and had to be abandoned - the om, think mate or 2nd mate and myself went back onboard but whilst there a large explosion from one of the gas oil wing tanks - so decided that was that and departed - after few hours in lifeboats were picked up by tanker and then transfered to KSC vessel and onto Kuwait.

Regards
Iain T

baileysan
1st May 2008, 21:28
IAINT

Does the name Wille Frampton ring any bells as regards the OM.
Of course by the time I attended her all the crew had long departed.
We arranged our Kuwait ship Repairers, Dimitri(that will ring a few bells) to attend and their manager Peter Porter arranged portable generators etc. etc.and in general looked after her until she was declared a CTL and handed over to the Salvors.
From what I remember of the condition,not a pleasent experiance to have been on board at the time of the fire!!!!

Allan James
2nd May 2008, 10:23
Does anyone remember Cliff O'Sullivan, ex-ED's and noted for his rather firey temper

Regards

Allan

IAINT
2nd May 2008, 19:17
Baileysan

Sorry Willie Frampton does not ring a bell - believe our OM at that time was Hughie Dwyer ? The fire happened very quickly - the worst of it all was the thick smoke - very difficult in the accommodation - remember when opened the radio room door was meet with a heavy volume of extremely thick black smoke - difficult to see and breathe.

Heard that they managed to salvage the beer at Bahrain.

Regards
Iain T

Pat Kennedy
2nd May 2008, 19:25
When I was a crane driver on the Mersey docks, we used to absolutely love the Kuwait boats. all they loaded was steel hoops , topped off with pallets of soap.As we were on tonnage, we could make a fortune out of them. A week of nights at the Kuwait could net you a month's pay on any other ship.

candpet
4th May 2008, 17:23
baileysan

did you get my email address

anthony cameron
7th May 2008, 15:03
Joined KSC/UASC as Eng cadet 1977 & finished up as 3rd Eng until finished in 1986.
Sailed on following vessels:-
Al Ahmadiah 07/78 - 01/79
Ibn Qutaibah 03/79 - 08/79
Al Kadisiah 07/80 - 01/81
Ibn Zuhr 04/81 -08/81
Al Khalidiah 10/81 - 12/81
Jilfar 12/81 - 03/82
Ibn Rushd 04/82 - 07/82
Tabuk 11/82 - 03/83
Jilfar 07/83 -01/84
Ibn Hazm 03/84 - 08/84
Al Ahmadiah 01/85 - 05/85
Ibn Al Roomi 08/85 - 11/85
Al Shamiah 11/85 - 12/85(Laid up Jebel Ali)
Khalid Ibn Al Waleed 03/86 - 08/86(laid up Antwerp)
Had an absolute blast & enjoyed every minute!love to hear from anyone i sailed with.

baileysan
8th May 2008, 20:51
Candpet

Yes thanks got your address and ahve sent e-mail

stan mayes
8th May 2008, 22:07
Anybody remember Kaz Wlodarczyk a Polish engineer?
I knew Kaz in Palm Line 1967 to 1972 and saw him in later years in UASC ships when they visited Tilbury.
Stan.

candpet
17th May 2008, 12:06
i remember willie frampton very well a rough arsed irish first officer,he hardly knew how to hold a knife and fork but he was a good lad until he was in drink, i remember offering him out when we wre both worse for wear.thank god he didnt accept he was about 2 foot taller than me and another 4 stone ,he would have murdred me.
those wre the days.
did anybody else go to a club in yokohama called the ig short for italian gardens,it was was of gis on r and r from korea the air was thick with canabis smoke and the only song they played on the jukebox was american pie.
the atmosphere was electric.that was back in 1972/3

candpet
5th June 2008, 11:38
baileysan

have just recieved a photo from john farmery with him and gwen the scotts and ourselves plus tony bassi.must have been circa 1978.ive gone into a depression,how could i have looked that young?
the scotts had the post office in wooky hole for many years until p.o closures bit and they have i believe converted it into a house.
we get a card at christmas from the bassis.
hope your well
paul

AlbieR
8th June 2008, 17:47
Paul
Just read your post about Willie Frampton, it made me laugh. Everybody was two foot taller than you, we used to get our overalls from the Army and Navy and you had babygrows from Mothercare! I was over in Waterford a couple of years back and I saw a Notice to Mariners posted and it was signed Liam Frampton (Harbour Master). That was his real name and he came from that area so I wonder if anybody can confirm it is the same Willie. He always used to wear wellies on deck and I painted the mates stripes on them in yellow paint. I was in the Liverpool office the day he got his command and I promised to add the extra stripe next time I sailed with him. I did sail with him as Master and he was one of the better ones. Happy days.

baileysan
9th June 2008, 22:04
Candpet

Photo must have brought back a few memories.I speak to Tony Bassi fairly often.
I met up with Willie Frampton in some UAS airport few years ago, interesting to hear Albie comments.
You in touch with any other old contacts?

candpet
26th June 2008, 11:43
hi tom

did you get my message asking for your e.mail address which ive somehow lost.
thanks albie,trouble is i thinking im shrinking!!!!

Nigel Price
18th July 2008, 13:03
Sailed with Peter Martin on the ship that picked up the Vietnamese boat people. My wife was with me on this trip so she was busy. The ship Al Ahmadiah, large Russian, had been converted into a cadet ship so we were pretty full when they came on board. They were given the crews mess and despite being wothout water for three days set to, to clean the mess. They put the Pakastani crew to shame with their hygene and cleanliness. We were short of food when we got to Japan, and they were not allowed ashore untill Kuwait guarrenteed domicile so we were headline news where ever we went around japan. There were about 35 children with us and they were mesmerised with the toys and presents the Japanese gave to them. Very quick learners, shewed them how to play chess and they were beating everyone. Lovely people.
Plenty of shippers parties on this ship and a most enjoyable 8 months.
Sailed as 3rd Engineer on this trip, then went British once up to 2nd Engineer.

Brian Locking
18th July 2008, 13:15
[QUOTE=Nigel Price;232182] There were about 35 children with us and they were mesmerised with the toys and presents the Japanese gave to them. Very quick learners, shewed them how to play chess and they were beating everyone. Lovely people.
QUOTE]

Nigel,
Recently returned from a holiday in Cambodia (Ankor Wat) and was impressed at how smart and eager to learn the children were. Seven year olds who knew their times tables and every capital city in every conceivable country.
Perhaps we should import some of their teachers.(Jester)

Peter Martin
30th July 2008, 09:43
Hello Nigel! I think you mean Peter Everett as I was ashore by this time. Any idea if he's still about

Contraversial Ken
6th August 2008, 08:10
Gents,
Given name by Don Carley [C/Eng] Al Yamamah.
Please see attached for my profile [as I can remember it]
This site and your comment have brought back many many happy memories.

PS How are you Albie ??

Contraversial Ken
6th August 2008, 16:37
Updated my history added a few names and information:)

baileysan
7th August 2008, 22:31
Ken
Don Carly
Now theres a name from the past. Used to drive a Volks campervan just about everywhere.
What ever happened to him?
Looking forward to reading your history.

baileysan
8th August 2008, 21:34
Ken

Read your history.

Still keep in touch with Tony Bassi. He ended up with Hydrographic Dept. Taunton. Now retired.
I think you meant Capt. Neil Collier. Great guy..
Capt Bell was in Cadiz. I attended all three vessels on arrival and before conversion started. I remember major problems with berth, swell caused moorings to part.
Dave Chappel was Electrician at Cadiz, I met up with him a few times in later days. Unfortunatly he died some 3/4 years ago.
You mentioned Maurice Hennon. Maurice was a great friend and colleague of mine and we went back a long way. He stayed out in Korea for many years married a Korean girl, he died very suddenly 2 years ago in Korea. His wife still lives in Newcastle.
Hilton Begg was Chief on a Seismic vessle in late 90's. I was project manager during conversion in the old Palmers yard. Still with seismic ships I think.
Miroslav. Another great friend, lost touch with him, often wonder how he got on during the problem years where he lived.

Hope that helps with your history

nwales
10th August 2008, 16:25
I joined the Al Mubarakiah in 1969 as 3rd Mate and stayed with the KSC through to 1972. Sailed on a heap of ships: Al Jabariah, Odaliah, Rumathiah, Salamiah, Sabahiah, but left before the "Ibn" class came out. I sailed with heaps of the older guys: Bill Nelson, The Tenants, Jimmy Dyson, George Gugala, Alf Carney, George Douglas,Treasurer, Maurice Hennon, Christie, George Macaffery. Etc. Etc.

Had the usual ball loading sugar in Mauritius!! Knew Brockbank quite well and Ms. Salmon! Whatever happened to them?

Haven't heard much about the company for over thirty years. Would like to know if anyone knows any of the above mentioned.

Cheers
Wynne Jones
Denmark
Western Austarlia

baileysan
10th August 2008, 21:47
nwales

I joined KSC 1968 and as you can see from profile stayed for many years in various positions.
Bill Nelson. A character. Went ashore in Dubai as Captain of the Dubai Creek reporting to the Royal Family. I met up with him many times and he became something of a cult figure. Regret I did lose touch and not sure where/what these last few years.
Tenants. Old Capt Ted died many years ago. However he did hand over as Master to Gordon. Last I heard Of Gordon he was Master on North Sea Supply vessel.
Jim Dyson. We have kept in touch and I see him him quite often. He went into Pub Mangership recently retired.
Maurice Hennon you will see from previous message .
George Douglas died quite a while ago.
The rest I have lost touch.
I still see Capt Brockbank about every 2/3 months for a beer in Liverpool. Still going strong.

The company is still very strong based in Kuwait.

Nice to hear from you.
You will note quite a few ex KSC guys come on site.

candpet
15th August 2008, 12:25
hi all
tom.we still write to don carly,whi is living on the coromandel coast north island new zealand,he has taken up golf as he can no do marathons.he live s with his partner who he has been with for about twenty years.he used to be a rigger at sembawang dockyard.
we will hopefully get to see him again within the next 10 years if i can retire and take the trip.
alllthe best
paul

nwales
23rd August 2008, 15:52
Bailysan,

We know so many mutual people, I'm wondering if we sailed together!! Do you know anything of Eric Brady? He was 1st Mate with me (I was 2nd Mate) On the Al Mubarakiah on the trip after I was married. The trip was from October 1971 to Feb 1972. Brian Groome was Master after having relieved Treasurer in Kuwait . I paid off in Antwerp after the usual epic.

I'd previously done two trips on the Al Mubrakiah in 1969 with Bill Nelson as Master and George Douglas as Chief. On the second trip we cracked four cylinder liners in the South Atlantic and drifted near Ascension Island for over two weeks. Saw all sorts of giant squid and since then have often wondered at all the fuss when they've occasionally found one in a trawl net!!!

Regards
Wynne

baileysan
28th August 2008, 21:38
Nwales

Not sure if did sail together.

I did my first trip on Kadisiah as 2/e 1968 Gil Blundel was C/E

Then was on Al Sabahiah as 2/e from 08/68 thro to 08/70 the last part was the first loading out of Japan. Brian Groome was Master, George Gregory C/E John McCloud was C/O
Brian Groome was a great friend of mine, we shared many good times together on the Sabahiah and later when I was ashore. Unfortunatly lost touch with him, he did move to Devon I believe and then I heard he was back at sea.
Eric Brady I used to run across him many times, good guy.
I was first trip C/E on Mubarakiah March 71 to Aug-71 with Treasurer as old man.
I went back to Sabahiah as C/E Nov-71 to Feb-72 the Rumaithiah from May-72 to Nov-72 with Bill Cleague and Parry as Old man.
Then went C/E on first K Class Mubarakiah Jul-74 tp Jun-74 at which time came ashore as Superintendent.
I must say I met up with some great guys in KSC and UASC and I was, regretably, there thro-out the change over to Indian/Pakastani Officers.
Good times indeed

baileysan
28th August 2008, 21:42
Paul
Been out of touch for a while. Give Don Carly my regards next time you are in touch with him.
You know NZ is the one place I have not been to, would love to try it, maybe!!

Hope all is well with you all and Spanish weather better than ours!!

Baz1uk
28th August 2008, 21:46
Jim Turner was Warden at Aulis when I was Cadet.Derek Staniford was Cadet Super with PSNC,and he went to UAS.My oppo was Tom Nicols who joined KSC from NNS.Another friend was Arthur Charnock.Bob Sutton was Capt with them,another drinking pal

Electric Al
11th September 2008, 17:09
Did not sail with Kuwaiti or UASC, but met a lot of guys when I was on some ADNATCO tankers laid up in Jebel Ali. there were about 8 or 10 UASC ships also laid up. Had some good times with the lads, cant remember any names. We used to buy our beer from them as our Chandler was expensive. had some good parties and beach parties at the week-ends.

pete
12th September 2008, 11:45
There were 2 of the Russian built conversions Al Shidadiah and Al Rhumathiah plus either 4 or 6 "K" class whose names escape me, mists of time I guess. I was there for a few weeks looking after the damn things. A least we had a small inflatable with a decent Outboard for checking the moorings, well that was my excuse anyway (Jester) (Jester) .................pete

IAINT
21st October 2008, 21:50
Hi All

Have been doing some research on who was the om on Ibn Khaldoun when she caught fire in the Gulf (1975), thought it was Hughie Dyer but that was wrong as he was with Blue Star at that time. (Ploughed through lots of Blue Star crew lists)

You were right Baileysan and it was Willie Frampton.

Sailed with both Dave Chappel (Elect) and Jimmy Dyson (Engr)

Regards
Iain T

stan mayes
21st October 2008, 22:38
I am sure that Capt.Bassi was Master of Ibn Khaldoun at time of the fire.
I was with a crew of riggers and we helped to sail the ship from Bilbao to Antwerp with Captain Bassi during February 1974.
Captain Bassi continued the voyage.
I have a photo of the 2nd Officer and the Chief Steward.
Stan

Moulder
23rd October 2008, 00:39
Tony Bassi was master on Al Mubarakiah during early 1976 - did a far east run from gulf to Japan and back.

Was it not Parry who was on Ibn Khaldoun at the time of the fire?

(Thumb)

baileysan
23rd October 2008, 21:24
Pretty sure it was not Tony Bassi as Master, he did the maiden voyage only.
I thought it was Willie Frampton but not positive. I attended her well after all the crew had left and she was in the hands of salvage tug. Capt parry was on The Majid for awhile but i think that was the only Spanish vessel he sailed on.

barga
9th November 2008, 17:02
I just discovered this site today and what memories of people and ships it has brought back . I joined KSc as 3rd mate in 1971 the Al Shidadiah was my first ship and I stayed with them ( UASC) till 1981.
I sailed with Dave Chappell on that first trip really nice guy , Maurice Hennon and Jimmy Dyson were both on one of the new Korean or Scottish ships for one of my trips .
Anyway guys first time today but I'll be back.
Steve Huntrod

baileysan
11th November 2008, 21:16
barga
I will be seeing Jim Dyson this weekend for a beer, he lives in Tynemouth recently retired after running a Pub for many years. Unfortunatley both Dave Chappel and Maurice Hennon are deceased, I was friends with both of them for many years.

barga
16th November 2008, 22:12
Baileysan
I had read your previous post about Maurice and Dave , I was very sad to learn that bad news both great guys and loads of good memories. I was in Tynemouth on Saturday as well wished I'd read your post before and I could have joined you

gandalf
27th November 2008, 14:14
Hi to all ex employees of KSC, I joined the company as a junior engineer when I signed on the SALIMIAH in Hamburg 31/03/66.
I remember the the trip quite clearly because, to my knowlege, it was the first voyage opening up the liner sevice between Liverpool and our home port of Kuwait. The only names that come to mind at the moment that were on board at that time are Chief Engieer Eric Pearson, Capt Willie Harrison, Bran Groom, the Mate, and Brian Horrod at the time I think was 2nd mate.
During this voyage, because of its significance, we had party at every port of call for the agents etc, the chief steward at the time, his name was John, for the life of me I can't remember his last name, perhaps some one out ther can help.
I whent on to sail on the Al-MUBARAKIAH and left the company in May 1967.

Phil Hunt.

Brian Clark Springhall
29th November 2008, 14:18
Hi to All ex shipmates in KSC, I joined in early 1972 and was on the Kadisiah on both her trips down to Aussie, Reggie Firth was C/E and Willie Seybold then George Donnison Old Men on respective trips. Assume that Baileysan is you Tom and that Albie is non other than Tony Mitchels cousin. I was with them and UASC until the finish in October 1987 and Knew all the characters such as Sludge Phillips, Kenny Campbell (Kenny the Curtain), Sparrow legs Coombes(captain) Balloon McDonald C/E and of course Barry Barnes.

george mcmaster
19th December 2008, 20:57
hi,I sailed with ksc from 71 to 76 as 3rd and 2nd engineer.I have just got a computor and am new to this,but I would like to hear about old mates,and their tales.

candpet
3rd January 2009, 13:43
happy new year to all ex ksc/uasc members

from

rupert the bear
alias
paul talbot

george mcmasters,
i think i sailed with you,cant remember the ship

baileysan
6th January 2009, 20:55
Brian
Correct it is Tom Bailey. Hope all is well with you.
Your list of names brings back a few memories. I expect to meet up with afew ex KSC (UASC) guys this week in Liverpool, one being George Donnison. Brockbank, Ian Grinrod and a few others from the office.
This site has brought afew ex KSC/UASC guys out of the woodwork.
I exchange quite afew e-mails with Albie Roberts.
Keep in touch

John Pugh
22nd January 2009, 05:59
Tom, I have just read all the mails on this site, brought me up to date on lots of people. I a, retiring end of March and leave Dubai back to UK and europe. Dave Short is here in his own business and doing well. UASC has changed somewhat. Still see their ships but don't know anyone now. Hope to meet up with UASC folks when i finally settle. all the best for 2009.

john pugh

the_vietnam_bear
12th February 2009, 10:21
Any photos of ships built on the Clyde from 1977 onwards

eigyro
23rd February 2009, 01:35
Was Al Salimiah a Clyde-built SD14? I have some photos of her.

george collinson
25th February 2009, 17:48
hi,I sailed with ksc from 71 to 76 as 3rd and 2nd engineer.I have just got a computor and am new to this,but I would like to hear about old mates,and their tales.Hello old yin recieved your message from Inverness & have joined the site, recognised some names Toni Mitchell who I sailed with on Al Kadisiah & Hilton Begg from Al Rumathiath which you will remember from 72/73, hope you are enjoying your retirement

AlbieR
25th February 2009, 21:18
Hi George
Wecome to the site, you will find quite a few ex KSC/UASC guys around on it. Also have a look at the thread "Kuwait Shipping or UASC" there are more people about there.
Albie

PierreR
13th March 2009, 13:08
Hi George
Wecome to the site, you will find quite a few ex KSC/UASC guys around on it. Also have a look at the thread "Kuwait Shipping or UASC" there are more people about there.
Albie

Hi Albie,

I sent you a message but I don't know if I did it right. Anyway I would like to hear from you

We were in Cadiz in 79 when the 3 big russians were being converted

Pierre

septiclecky
16th March 2009, 15:04
Anybody remember Kaz Wlodarczyk a Polish engineer?
I knew Kaz in Palm Line 1967 to 1972 and saw him in later years in UASC ships when they visited Tilbury.
Stan.

I remember Kaz from the Theeker, asked us to keep a couple of beers in the fridge for him when he came off watch as we where about to go into Jeddah in the morning.

Left them in the fridge as he asked but next morning he was calling us all the names under the sun as we hadn't saved him any beers next minute the Old Man comes ranting and raving about beer being left in the fridge and how the Saudis would have gone ape over it.

Asked what he had done with them as they had been left for Kaz when he came off watch, OM said he had thrown them over the side, Kaz was not a happy chappy with the OM.

stan mayes
16th March 2009, 23:22
Thankyou for that anecdote of Kaz -I can imagine him being angry.
He was a very likeable guy and very popular in Palm Line.I am surprised that no other members have posted of their knowing him.
Stan

martinh1
9th April 2009, 00:37
Hello all,

I did only one trip with KSC but a very enjoyable one. This was on Al Farwaniah in 1974 as R/O. It was my second trip to sea and first experience of the delights of Japan.
I remember some of the guys such as 'Big Mick' (Bailey? 4th engineer?) , Captain Spencer, Chief steward Pete, Deck cadet Saed, 2nd mate from Ceylon, 3rd mate from Iraq. Somewhere in the attic I have a 21st birthday card with everybody's signature. They were all top chaps as I remember. I don't know if the company changed as it grew bigger and turned into UASC.
Nice remembering the old days.....

Martin

AlbieR
20th April 2009, 20:09
Hi Martin,
Glad you enjoyed your trip on the Farwaniah, I did a few trips on her as 3/E, some bad some good! The 2nd mate was either Dirk or Chuck Paulas, they were brothers and both good guys. The 3rd mate could have been Sammy Saleh, another good shipmate.
Regards
AlbieR

Jim Harris
25th April 2009, 06:03
Anyone know Brian Prince, a Geordie from South Shields?

2nd Engineer with KSC, and ex-Bank Line and RN.

Regards,

Jim.

tyrol
5th June 2009, 12:40
HI Iain,
Been out of the loop for a while. Nice to see all the messages abt UASC Ibn Khaldoun 9KDN popping up from the 1974 era. The only full name I can remember is the OM Peter Everett, a most friendly bouncing chap, always in good humour and on for a run up the road. The mate was Jake Scallon, 2nd mate Yemeni, 3rd mate Pakistani, Bob was the 3rd eng. I have a photo of the stern of Ibn Khaldoon, will post it have to scan it in. Good to see the info about Vale Ayala. I paid off in Bombay November 74.
Tom F

Andy Whittle
10th June 2009, 17:19
I worked for KSCo for a couple years as 3rd Mate. Sailed with Capt Brian Horrod and Capt Brian Groome. Both terrific blokes, I believe Brian Horrod is an offshore consultant in Aberdeen.
Andy

AlbieR
13th June 2009, 07:54
Among the many bits and pieces I have accumulated over the years I have found a Sea Breezes dated June 1991 with an article on the history of KSC. It has a potted history of Ibn Khaldoun so here it is.

6-cyl oil engineby Le Maquinista Terrestre y Mar, Barcelona 21.03.1973 Launched as Valla de Ayala for Vasco Madrilena de Nav, Spain. 1974 KSC, r/n Ibn Khaldoun. 22.09.1975 Explosion and fire in engine room when on passage from Kuwait to Japan, constructive total loss. 1976 Good faith Shipping Co SA Cyprus, r/n Good Trader. 1977 Greater Hope Shipping Co. Cyprus. 1978 Thracia Shipping Co Ltd, Greece. 05.05.1978 Grounded in River Uraguay on passage from Fray Bentos 27.06.1978 Arrived in Buenos Aires after being refloated. 1984 r/n Arrow 1, same owners. 1985 Sky Overseas SA, Panama r/n Legend. 1988 r/n Tyhi. Same year Akrogiali Shipping SA, Panama r/n Chios Star Crystal. 1989 Sold by Abeles International Inc. Panama to Laureis Ships International SA, Panama, r/n Laurel Star. 1990/1991 Still listed with L/R.

Not a bad life for a CTR!!

I will try to scan the six page article so if anyone wants a copy send me a PM with a contact email

Moulder
30th June 2009, 21:59
Anyone sail with or remember big Joe (Yousef) Satar - he was a second mate when I sailed with him on Al Ahmadiah and Al Shamiah?

(Thumb)

eigyro
2nd July 2009, 00:33
Sailed with Joe Satar on Al Mansouriah, '74. Nice fella. Good sense of humour.
We called him Columbus Joe. Well, he found America for us, anyway.

Peter Ferris
2nd July 2009, 17:43
Joined KSC/UASC as Eng cadet 1977 & finished up as 3rd Eng until finished in 1986.
Ibn Zuhr 04/81 -08/81
Jilfar 12/81 - 03/82
Ibn Rushd 04/82 - 07/82
Tabuk 11/82 - 03/83
Jilfar 07/83 -01/84
Ibn Hazm 03/84 - 08/84
Had an absolute blast & enjoyed every minute!love to hear from anyone i sailed with.

Tony i remember sailing with you & your Dad in the early 80's, yes Good days for sure with lots of interesting moments. I was chatting to a Guy a few years ago who knew you & your family (Prosafe Technical Manager) and he mentioned your Dad had passed away, sorry to hear that he was a Great Bloke & a pleasure to sail with.
Trust all is well with you? (has the Afro hair style gone now Ha!) mine for sure has!
Peter ferris

sbuglass
16th September 2009, 18:33
Anyone sail on the Al Kadisiah in 1978 when Mr Pascoe was master.Same time as Harry the chief purser.Cant remember the name of chief engineer but can remember 2nd engineer was from Teeside.Maybe someone can refresh my memory of the names.

Peter Ferris
2nd October 2009, 03:09
sailed togettJoined KSC/UASC as Eng cadet 1977 & finished up as 3rd Eng until finished in 1986.
Ibn Zuhr 04/81 -08/81
Jilfar 12/81 - 03/82
Ibn Rushd 04/82 - 07/82
Tabuk 11/82 - 03/83
Jilfar 07/83 -01/84
Ibn Hazm 03/84 - 08/84
Sailed with you Tony in the early 80's & with your Dad, what are you up to these days.
Peter Ferris

mickey g
21st October 2009, 21:28
Ahoy-there ex-shippers.Have just found this site and it brought back so many memories of my time with KSC and UASC. Memories of the likes of Arthur (The Strawman) Charnock,Capt Sullivan and Bill Nelson - 2 real toffs,Cuddles,Sludge,Buffalo Bill,Big Kaz,Bugle,and so many more.Happy days and field days from Govan to Ulsan to Kobe and many places in between.
Recognise many of the names on the site from Satchiko (who always called me Charlie) to John Clement (hands up for soup etc...)
Does anyone know of Arthurs whereabouts these days?
Last time I heard he was living in Melling on the Mud but that was several years ago.
Have you got me yet John?

wm. frampton
17th November 2009, 14:54
baileysan and Albie R greetings.rung finished with engines 0600hrs.11.11.09.will get back to you later

baileysan
18th November 2009, 20:29
Willie
Nice to hear from you, did we not meet up somewhere after UASC days?
This site is good for coming across old colleagues.
I keep in touch with a few, however unfortunatly so many have gone.
I retired some years ago.
Keep in touch
Tom

baileysan
18th November 2009, 20:37
you have brought up a formitable list of names, a few I know are no longer around, happy days
I do remember you in the grey past.

baileysan
18th November 2009, 20:40
I heard Brian Horrod was in Aberdeen, Brian Groom did go down to Devon and I believe ran some kind of shop, I then heard he went with Eygpt Line for a few years. Sadly lost touch with him, both great characters.

IAINT
29th December 2009, 21:18
Anyone sail with a Captain Nick Cooper when he was with KSC as he is a recipient of the MN Medal.

Regards
Iain T

JohnGrace
31st December 2009, 14:56
Hello and Happy New Year to all ex KSC & UASC people who may read this.

I served on the following ships:

Al Farwaniah 1976/7 Ibn Qutaibah 1980 Ibn Tufail 1983
Ibn Malik 1977 Al Mansouriah 1981 Al Fujairah 1984
Ahmad al Fateh 1978 Ibn Younus1982 Khalid Ibn Al Waleed 1984
Jilfar 1978 Ibn Battotah 1982 Al Yamamah 1985
Al Solaibiah 1979 Al Yamamah1983 Ahmad al Fateh 1985
Addiriyah 1980 Ibn Sina 1983 Ibn Al Atheer 1986/7

and remember the following people:

Mike Hardmeat Malcolm Youd Jimmy Allen,
John Bannister Hilton Begg P Bradley Gordon Bubbear
Mike Burton R Elison Roy Emmas Jack Etchells Arthur Grey B Halliday Oliver Hedley Malcolm Hedley Maurice Hennon Eric von Hipple
John Albert Hocking Brian Hough Dave Ireland Miroslav Jerkovic A Kennedy Ian Laing Pinkney Loftus David Lown Duncan McGregor G Mills
E Moor Eric Pearson Peter Roberts P Robinson John Roderick D Sadler Schorah Logie Smith J C Ward Peter Wheeler Bob Wilkinson J Unwin David Bedford Peter Everett Haddon
Mackrell Parry Seybold PL Walton Mackie
Sivapathasunderam Jack Duncan Peter Leck

and Office Staff Bill Sadler George Roberts

I must apologise for not being able to remember peoples full names but after a few years things become a bit hazy. I did think though that these names may add to the converstation that had been going a bit flat lately.

baileysan
1st January 2010, 21:37
Your list brings back many memories. Malcolm Hedley I still see quite often, recently retired after working in New York for many years. Maurice Hennon sadly died suddenly couple of years ago. Brian Hough retired lives in Southport. Eric pearson is/was Lloyds Surveyor. D Sadler sadly died some time ago. Hilton begg was chief on Siesmic ship last I heard. Jack Duncan died many years ago. Sivapat lives in Frodsham and recently called me.
Nice of you to bring so many names up. Bill Sadler from the office died of heart attack last year, I used to see him occasionally for a beer . Great guy.

country Captain
7th January 2010, 10:07
Mr Grace, your list has jogged many memories and at this time of the year my nostalgia for KSC/UASC has once again surfaced. I have been trawling the furtherest recesses of my failing memory to conjour up a few blasts from the past, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Starting with the Engineers who kept the show on the road despite the challenges of the "Small Russians".
Eddie Moore, Jack Etchells, Gil Blundell, Davie Deans, Peter Rogan, Brian Constable, John Jaques, Harry Sayers, Mr Patt, Andy Albert, Pierre Rasin and the great Kevin Lloyd.
Electricians John/Graeme Unsworth, Sid Dack and the guy from Chester-Le-Street with wife Brenda (Or 'War Bren').
Few Grocers are worthy of mention, perhaps just Tony Owens and the great Frank Pinkney Loftus.
I always regarded those on the Bridge as being tasked with bringing me from the fleshpoits of Europe to the fleshpots of the Far East with an efficient discharge of cargo in between. Capt Quigley, Hamilton, Spencer, Bobby Watt, Finlay, Collier, Peter Dammer, Steve Ponsford.
Not forgetting the Buggers from Corn Exchange, Bailey, Duncan, Leck, Larry Blunt, George Weston, Kneen.
I would love to give a wee pen picture of them all but am wary of the law, however I would sail with the most of them any day.
A happy new year to all KSC Veterans.

hamishb
10th January 2010, 13:59
Baileysan, A Guid New Year for 2010. I havent seen George Abbinett mentioned anwwhere,had a few adventures with him. Is he still around.
I am Hamish Benson of the dreaded Newark Sterngland.
Regards
Hamish.

baileysan
22nd January 2010, 21:15
A Happy new Year to you too. Unfortunatly George died couple of years ago, he had suffered a stroke and was incapacitiated which did not do his blood pressure much good as you can imagine. A few adventures to say the least one of the old school.
Regards
Topm

baileysan
22nd January 2010, 21:17
Could we all not tell some tales!!!

Best wishes to Cork

IAINT
23rd January 2010, 22:11
Country Captain.

Have you any information on Frank Pinkney Loftus.

Regards
Iain T

country Captain
4th February 2010, 23:26
Sailed with FPL twice in the late 70's, hav'nt seen or heard of him since then. A bloody good feeder and shipmate a rare jewel in a profession comprising of rogues and ner-do-wells. Overly fond of Kromeskis a la Russe and Charlotte Russe.

candpet
23rd March 2010, 12:36
saw harry saywers name mentioned,my favoutite story of harry was we were in port and a cat had taken up lodgings in his cabin.
one day i went to his cabin and he was doing some paperwork.
he had his biro down near the floor and the cat had backed up on it and was rogering itself with harrys assistance.only harry!
i sailed with him a few times.his favourite saying

never mind her skinny legs toss a one up her.

rupert the bear

ian pendlebury
31st December 2010, 22:38
Candpet

O'Brian was the name I think. What ship did we sail on together. Peter Porter is no longer with us, a long story.

I sailed with KSC as Jr/eng ..4th eng...3rd eng in 70 thru 73,several times with Peter Porter before he went ashore in Kuwait...what happened to h..thanks..Ian P, Atlanta USA

Dick Leitch
9th November 2011, 00:02
Guys

Dick Leitch - was on nearly all the AL's - once it was found out you could keep them going you never got off them - and of course the old Clark boat - just the Salimiah - story was who ever re-registered her forgot the Al.

Just found this web site - can see a number of names mentioned but not many e-mail contacts - any body out there. Marilyn and I have been looking for Ronnie Hughes (Bugle) for ever.

Still in the North East of Scotland-Laurencekirk-Kincardineshire - they opened up the North Sea for me just as it was time to leave the great adventure which was KSC - and have been here ever since - been retired for one year now - catching up on all these long working days.

It would be good to hear from any body.

Regards
Dick Leitch

Moulder
10th November 2011, 14:43
Hi Dick,

Good to hear from you. Brian Horrod sends both you and Marilyn his best regards.

Amazing you remembered the double breasted trouser flap - I'd forgotten all about that.

Kind regards to you both.

Steve. (Thumb)

AlbieR
16th November 2011, 19:44
Hi Dick,
(Applause)
Well they are coming out of the woodwork now. Good to hear you are still about. Haven't heard of Bugle for years, maybe this will find him. There is another thread about UASC that has a few people on it. Enjoy the memories on this site.

Albie Roberts

Brian Clark Springhall
2nd February 2012, 16:48
Hi again Albie,

Do you or anyone else remember which small russian it was that hit a rock in the Gulf of Mexico, was it the Salehiah ? Regards BCS

baileysan
2nd February 2012, 21:36
Al Farwaniah. She was brought back to London then the Tyne for permanent repairs. I stood by her during the repairs at Swans, Jimmy Dyson was there also. A nice 6 weeks getting home every night.

AlbieR
4th February 2012, 17:04
Hi Brian,

Sorry I have not been in contact for a while but life has been busy. Hope you and yours are well. We have built the house and are out of the caravan at last. The caravan is still in use if you fancy a run up to the West Coast. I met the 3rd Mate off the Ibn Rushd ( Mcgreggor) a few years back he was a surveyor for hatches!! You remember he got the nickname because he kept on destroying the tracks.

The Farwaniah, I remember Jimmy Dyson telling me he did his watch with his lifejacket close at hand because she was sailing on her tanktops on the way back!

AlbieR

Brian Clark Springhall
16th February 2012, 18:18
Hi Albie, nice to be in touch again, pleased to hear that you have finished your dream house. Yoshie and I travel up the west coast of Scotland every year to visit and old KSC ex 4th/eng from the Isle of Bute who in fact is the Harbour Master there now his name is Steve Neilson a real nice person. I would very much like to see your finished project and probably catch a salmon to take home with me, but most of all to see you again. I guess that you are still in gainful employment but you cant have too long to go before giving it up.

Best regards Brian

Brian Clark Springhall
16th February 2012, 18:25
Al Farwaniah. She was brought back to London then the Tyne for permanent repairs. I stood by her during the repairs at Swans, Jimmy Dyson was there also. A nice 6 weeks getting home every night.

Thanks for the info Tom, it was another old ex KSC engineer who was asking me about it and I just couldn't remember. Trust Albie memory man Roberts to know, think we will put him up as a candidate for Mastermind.

Best regards Brian

Brian Clark Springhall
16th February 2012, 18:37
Mr Grace, your list has jogged many memories and at this time of the year my nostalgia for KSC/UASC has once again surfaced. I have been trawling the furtherest recesses of my failing memory to conjour up a few blasts from the past, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Starting with the Engineers who kept the show on the road despite the challenges of the "Small Russians".
Eddie Moore, Jack Etchells, Gil Blundell, Davie Deans, Peter Rogan, Brian Constable, John Jaques, Harry Sayers, Mr Patt, Andy Albert, Pierre Rasin and the great Kevin Lloyd.
Electricians John/Graeme Unsworth, Sid Dack and the guy from Chester-Le-Street with wife Brenda (Or 'War Bren').
Few Grocers are worthy of mention, perhaps just Tony Owens and the great Frank Pinkney Loftus.
I always regarded those on the Bridge as being tasked with bringing me from the fleshpoits of Europe to the fleshpots of the Far East with an efficient discharge of cargo in between. Capt Quigley, Hamilton, Spencer, Bobby Watt, Finlay, Collier, Peter Dammer, Steve Ponsford.
Not forgetting the Buggers from Corn Exchange, Bailey, Duncan, Leck, Larry Blunt, George Weston, Kneen.
I would love to give a wee pen picture of them all but am wary of the law, however I would sail with the most of them any day.
A happy new year to all KSC Veterans.

Hi, Dont know if you ever sailed with Coloured Telly as Bun Man, he was definitely one of the best feeders, who boasted that you could't tell the day of the week by his menus. Another was George Duffy and also young Eric Pell. Yes there was all the others who were characters rather than good feeders.

Dick Leitch
18th March 2012, 13:39
My wife and I are just back from a cultural weekend in Glasgow-enjoyable-on the visit to the Riverside transport musem one of the ship models on display from Govan was of the second Al Mubarakiah- of interest to Tom Bailey-although I never sailed on her-the colours brought a tear to our eyes

Regards
Dick Leitch

baileysan
19th March 2012, 22:33
Dick
I had heard about the model, in fact some time ago the musem contacted me re some info on K Class built on the Clyde. I did tell them I had some photos etc however they never got back to me. Maybe I will take a trip to Glasgow sometime bring back some memories.
Thanks for letting me know.
Rgd
Tom

Brandane62
20th March 2012, 00:27
Dick
I had heard about the model, in fact some time ago the musem contacted me re some info on K Class built on the Clyde. I did tell them I had some photos etc however they never got back to me. Maybe I will take a trip to Glasgow sometime bring back some memories.
Thanks for letting me know.
Rgd
Tom

I took a photo of it when I visited soon after it opened. Apologies in advance; I am no photographer and it is kept in a big glass case so lots of reflections! Have good memories of visits to some of her sister ships up the Gulf in the late 70s. Ibn Abdoun (spelling??) in Basrah being one of them.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/322586/title/al-mubarakiah/cat/521

Edit:
A much better photo of the same model, when it was at it's former home in the old transport museum at the Kelvin Hall............. http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/146551/title/al-mubarakiah-1974/cat/521

And the real thing (on the Clyde at Renfrew)......... http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/269208/title/al-mubarakiah/cat/510

Ken Butler
24th March 2012, 18:21
I was 3rd Mate in '69/70 on the Salamiah.
Does anyone know what was her name and company before KSC?
She was quite well appointed for a UK ship of that era,conventional
with derricks etc but a great lounge for parties.
Ken Butler

lecky252
26th March 2012, 16:20
Ken Butler

Hi i sailed on her as lecky in 72 seem to remember drawings titled
M V Clarksforth Les

lecky252
26th March 2012, 19:54
Anybody here sail with KSCo? I did one trip with them as 3rd Mate in 1974. Mate was a splendid chap named Peter Everett. He later gained command with them and appeared in a national newspaper after rescuing a boatload of Vietnamese boat people in the S China Sea.

hi pete i sailed with KSC on and off from 71 to 78 and as you know every trip was eventful. my first ship was MV Al mubarakiah i joined in Antwerp it took us longer than Columbus to cross the pond.
But what good men, i served my time in the mines who were all good men but so were the KSC boys.
I think Pete is from near me in Burnley but i have never met him if anybody remembers me please mail me .
l.hudson363@ntlworld.com

Dick Leitch
29th March 2012, 13:40
Ken Butler

Ken - MV Clarkforth of Clarks out of the Clyde - you can catch her on Google - as Clarkforth or Salimiah - I did 3 trips on her - Aug '68 to Feb '70 - then went home to get married and start school for tickets - on the '69-'70 voyage I was 4th Eng - we stopped of in Mombassa and then to St Johns Newbrunswick - (we were there for xmas and New Year) -on the way back from the gulf - were you there for that trip - indeed a great lounge for parties - I guess that is where the phrase was coined - hopeless as an engineer but good at parties
Regards
Dick Leitch

Chebryn
30th March 2012, 22:44
I sailed on many KSC UASC vessels Russian built and Kclass as 4th eng between 1976 & 1983 It would be great to be in touch with my ex shipmates.
See my SAY HELLO thread CHEBRYN just joined for more info.
Your name could be there!
Norman Clarke 2/E Kilmarnock FC supporter.
Mike Henwood, Graham Unsworth(Leckies)
George McLelland, Barry Jones (Eng Cadets)
Brian Cresswell Andy Fraser Jim Davison Rolf Paulsen J/Es

Ken Butler
1st April 2012, 00:57
Ken - MV Clarkforth of Clarks out of the Clyde - you can catch her on Google - as Clarkforth or Salimiah - I did 3 trips on her - Aug '68 to Feb '70 - then went home to get married and start school for tickets - on the '69-'70 voyage I was 4th Eng - we stopped of in Mombassa and then to St Johns Newbrunswick - (we were there for xmas and New Year) -on the way back from the gulf - were you there for that trip - indeed a great lounge for parties - I guess that is where the phrase was coined - hopeless as an engineer but good at parties
Regards
Dick Leitch
Hi Dick,
Yes I was on that trip,Christmas in St John N.B. Straight from Mombassa,I can't remember any names.Skating on a lake -I think the only place to get a drink was the Legion.
Were you one of the guys who went on Safari in a rental car?
Cheers
Ken

graham phillips
17th April 2012, 12:15
hi all looking for my friends i sailed with early 70s,my buddy mel jones 2nd eng ,harry sayers 2nd eng,many more ,good to hear dick leitch is ok another good marine engineer,have you still got that good head of black curly hair dick, graham phillps the nickname was not my fault so im not using it, i won a all europe elvis voice contest in blackpool in 2007,go under the name graham phillips voice of presley, as mel said a marine eng can put is hand to anthing, love you all great memories, find me on google. ( graham Phillips Elvis )

ECKER365
17th April 2012, 14:58
I Worked There From 78 To 90 As 2nd Mate Mike Eckersley Left When All Jobs Going To Indians

ECKER365
17th April 2012, 15:15
Harry Sayers Was At The Top Of The Gangway When I Joined As First Trip Cadet At Anchor Ibn Tufail In Dubai.first Words Were "have You Got The Fkin Mail" Hall Stride Captain . J9/12/1976 Any Body Ibn Al Abbar 79 When Captain Langmuir Sort Of Lost His Command Crazy Ship

ECKER365
17th April 2012, 15:27
I Know Alot Of Names On Your List Johhn Albert , Did You Know He Legendary Albie Gennie Roberts . I Was There 76 86 Cadet To 2nd Mate
Mike Eckersley Warrington

graham phillips
22nd April 2012, 12:09
I joined the Al Mubarakiah in 1969 as 3rd Mate and stayed with the KSC through to 1972. Sailed on a heap of ships: Al Jabariah, Odaliah, Rumathiah, Salamiah, Sabahiah, but left before the "Ibn" class came out. I sailed with heaps of the older guys: Bill Nelson, The Tenants, Jimmy Dyson, George Gugala, Alf Carney, George Douglas,Treasurer, Maurice Hennon, Christie, George Macaffery. Etc. Etc.

Had the usual ball loading sugar in Mauritius!! Knew Brockbank quite well and Ms. Salmon! Whatever happened to them?

Haven't heard much about the company for over thirty years. Would like to know if anyone knows any of the above mentioned.

Cheers
Wynne Jones
Denmark
Western Austarlia
hi hope your well , isailed on the odailiah from 2/2/70 till 17/1/72 kadisiah 14/4/72 till 13/12/72 aridiah 24/3/73 relief 4th birkenhead, sabahiah 10/5/73 odailiah again 3/9/73 gurainiah 22/12/73 omariah 6/3/74 to 1/10/74 masouriah 8/1/75 shamiah 25/11/75 aridiah again flew to new york looked out the port hole and gazed at the twin towers sight i will never forget,anyone remember mr whiteway ex blue funnel chief nice man.

Des Thompson
26th April 2012, 17:57
Just found this thread, very interesting.
I was a very young R/O on the Al Shamaih (9KCJ for the afflicted) Russian kit and still had Russian guarantee engineers on board - 1969 UK - Gulf - Mauritius ( ages loading sugar ) paid off in Liverpool.
What I want to know is what happened to the monkey - I think one of the crew sold him in Kuwait.
I have no documentation from the trip so can't remeber any other crew names.
Cheers to anyone who remebers me.

Des Thompson ( had long hair at the time as most young Marconi R/O's had)

Brian Clark Springhall
26th June 2012, 10:49
Hello Sludge,
If you can't remember the name remember the colour GREY, and of course I qualified in being able to call you Sludge being a second engineer. We were on the Kadisiah together down Aussie in 1972 and of course had some fantastic times and good memories. I guess you must remember doing Elvis in Stereo in Freemantle and falling asleep on top of the drinking water tanks where no one could find you. So many incidences and never a dull moment with you. Good to see your name on the site and I assume you are well and haven't gone back to grave digging.

hi all looking for my friends i sailed with early 70s,my buddy mel jones 2nd eng ,harry sayers 2nd eng,many more ,good to hear dick leitch is ok another good marine engineer,have you still got that good head of black curly hair dick, graham phillps the nickname was not my fault so im not using it, i won a all europe elvis voice contest in blackpool in 2007,go under the name graham phillips voice of presley, as mel said a marine eng can put is hand to anthing, love you all great memories, find me on google. ( graham Phillips Elvis )

baileysan
26th June 2012, 21:14
Graham
Nice to see your comments on the site. We ran accross each other on many occasions, I think the last time coasting on Odaliah. I remember something about a policwoman????
Nice to see so many names come up, remember Maurice Hennon, a great friend unfortunatly died prematurely 3/4 years ago. Jimmy Dyson I see every few months when I go back to the North East. I will look you up on google.

graham phillips
28th June 2012, 20:38
yes i think i met you a few times great memories ,were you on harrison line ,a friend of a third eng known as cushy stroud ,a geordie that used to do arm wrestling ,and never lost,i sailed with him and harry sayers,the chief was alec or alex walker,changed a liner at sea drifting off the azores, the old doxford diesel eng i miss it all now its gone.

Dick Leitch
12th July 2012, 21:29
Graham Phillips - 'Ah well ah bless my sole' - Al Odaliah - Sept 1970 to Feb 1971 - Southampton-Gulf-Japan-Gulf-fly home - guess who still has the discharge book. I have the photgraphs but they are all slides - and I have not converted them yet so I can scan them in - your side burns were certainly long at that time - Kevin Lloyd is on one of them with you - he was one of the juniors - and I see good words about him on the web site - so we must have trained him well - nothing to say about the rest of them - good to hear your other career is going well - I'm all shock up - Regards - Dick Leitch

Dick Leitch
12th July 2012, 22:08
Ken Butler - Yes - I was on the safari trip - best animal shot we got was of a dung beatle - Ford Escort for transport - I have the photographs but they are in slide form - the lodge where we had lunch looks fantastic - Tommy Bleasdale(lecky) - Dia(welsh)(sparky) - me(4th eng) - a.n.other(was that you)(black shirt-grey slacks-white shoes) - good night out in Mombassa after coming in from safari - the things you could get then for being able to change a light bulb! - I can recall it was a long run up from the Cape through the North Atlantic to Canada in the winter - but good fun when we got there - held over xmas dinner for a day until we got alongside - and then a night out still in uniform in the legion - it was the only warm gear we had with us - the good lounge on the Salimiah was put to good use while we were there - nice people who made us very welcome - I went on to another 5 years with KSC after that then hundreds of years in the North Sea - retired now and live in Scotland - wee place called Laurencekirk - you?
Regards - Dick Leitch

Hi Dick,
Yes I was on that trip,Christmas in St John N.B. Straight from Mombassa,I can't remember any names.Skating on a lake -I think the only place to get a drink was the Legion.
Were you one of the guys who went on Safari in a rental car?
Cheers
Ken

graham phillips
12th July 2012, 23:51
Hi dick, I do feel privileged to here from all my seniors you ,Tom bailey, Brian spring hall,and a few others got in touch I was a great life ,I always loved the sea and the sunsets,the only thing I regret is not getting a ticket not brainy enough,if there was another time round I'd do it again,all the best to you all,graham,

steve mcdougall
17th July 2012, 16:15
(Bounce)to dick leitch bill says sorry, he cannot remember you what ships did tou sail on together.Bill can recall ron the bugle hughes, tony kelly 2/e miroslav ray relie c/e, chris halliday leccy,capt parry, capt brocklebank, harry mckeown2/e. All the best steve.

Dick Leitch
17th July 2012, 21:23
Steve - Tell Bill it was the Al Shamiah - June '72 out of London - it will have been Bill's first trip as there are photographs of my wife and Bill being dunked at the crossing of the line party - Dick Leitch 2/E Scottish -there were not many Scots about at then - I obviously made a lasting impression on Bill - ask if he remembers the trick of beating **** out of the fuel pump with a big mundy hammer to get the unit to fire - Ronnie Hughes (Bugle) was 4/E (still haven't been able to find him) - old George Douglas was C/E - he was a nice man - we went into Mauritius on the way home - and built the ships bar after that - called it The Maurit Inn.
Our paths never crossed Steve - I left KSC in 75 - great times - great fun
Regards
Dick Leitch

(Bounce)to dick leitch bill says sorry, he cannot remember you what ships did tou sail on together.Bill can recall ron the bugle hughes, tony kelly 2/e miroslav ray relie c/e, chris halliday leccy,capt parry, capt brocklebank, harry mckeown2/e. All the best steve.

djh204
6th November 2012, 01:24

I sailed as Je 4e & 3e

My old ships
Kuwait Shipping Company
08/01/1983 29/04/1983 mv Fathulkhair Ch Eng. R J Quinn
30/04/1983 24/05/1983 mv Fathulkhair Ch Eng. J Etchels
12/06/1982 15/09/1982 mv Al Salehiah Ch Eng. J G Baron
16/09/1982 15/11/1982 mv Al Salehiah Ch Eng. O W Hedley
25/11/1981 04/04/1982 mv Ibn Hazm Ch Eng. M Sivapathasunderam
07/06/1981 10/09/1981 mv IbnYounus Ch Eng.
05/05/1981 10/09/1981 mv Ibn Younus Ch Eng.
12/11/1980 22/01/1981 mv Ibn Abdoun Ch Eng. J Sullivan
29/08/1980 22/01/1981 mv Ibn Abdoun Ch Eng.
06/11/1979 05/12/1979 mv Al Shamiah Ch Eng.
05/12/1979 06/05/1980 mv Al Aridhiah Ch Eng.
28/03/1979 08/08/1979 mv Al Solaibiah Ch Eng. P F Rogan
09/06/1978 13/06/1978 mv Al Rumaithiah Ch Eng.
13/06/1978 13/12/1978 mv Al Odailiah Ch Eng.
09/05/1979 07/08/1979 mv Al Solaibiah Ch Eng.
21/12/1979 06/05/1980 mv Al Aridhiah Ch Eng. P Keaney
20/07/1978 12/12/1978 mv Al Odailiah Ch Eng. J R Jaques
18/01/1978 07/03/1978 mv Ibn Duraid Ch Eng.
15/06/1978 21/07/1978 mv Al Odailiah Ch Eng. J Sullivan
12/10/1977 07/03/1978 mv Ibn Duraid Ch Eng. J L Kerr
15/04/1977 17/07/1977 mv Ibn Malik Ch Eng. Roderick
24/08/1976 09/12/1976 mv Ibn Hayyan Ch Eng. A McNaught
10/07/1976 09/12/1976 mv Ibn Hayyan Ch Eng. G Walton
11/11/1975 07/04/1976 mv Al Salehiah Ch Eng.
02/09/1975 22/09/1975 mv Ibn Khaldoon Ch Eng. M Sivapathasunderam
02/12/1974 15/05/1975 mv Al Shamiah Ch Eng.
15/05/1974 24/09/1974 mv Al Ahmadiah Ch Eng.

steve mcdougall
6th November 2012, 13:11
Yes i sailed with c/eng john jaques early 1979 to japan back to the gulf,and then europe he had his wife on the voyage he must be 85 by now.Later in 1979 i joined the arrafat with c/eng,miroslav jerovic,c/eng being paid off was a john barron from south africa if my memory is correct,all the best,steve.

Russ-Blackpool
11th December 2012, 01:32
Just found this forum - I was a Deck Cadet - 76-80 sailed on Ahmadiah/Rushd/Rayyan/Bassam/Malik/Qutaibah - seen Pete Everetts name here a few times - one of the best guys I ever met - Chris Williams-Jones 2nd Mate on the Al Rayyan - loads of names I remember !!

Russ-Blackpool
11th December 2012, 01:35
I was a Deck Cadet and Ian Grindrod (I think) was the cadet training Officer !! I had a good time and am now a Marine Cargo Superintendent !!
Russ Purdie

Brian
Correct it is Tom Bailey. Hope all is well with you.
Your list of names brings back a few memories. I expect to meet up with afew ex KSC (UASC) guys this week in Liverpool, one being George Donnison. Brockbank, Ian Grinrod and a few others from the office.
This site has brought afew ex KSC/UASC guys out of the woodwork.
I exchange quite afew e-mails with Albie Roberts.
Keep in touch

Russ-Blackpool
11th December 2012, 01:46
Dave Clarke - Electrician /Andy Hunt -Chief Mate / Dave Brown - Chief Mate / Bill Coxon - Cadet / Bill Sadler - C/Eng / Dave Burdett - Eng Cadet / Chris Williams-Jones 2nd mate / Big Al - Jnr Eng from Govan - he built them !!
loads of names !!
Russ Purdie

Russ-Blackpool
11th December 2012, 01:52
Kelvin Williams - Electrician / Pete Everett - Capt / Mike Eckersley - 2nd mate / Charles O'Brian - Chief Steward / ?????
Carl Goodworth/Trevor Shirley / Ken Robson/ Dave Gardner-Hill all cadets on the Al Ahmadiah sept '76 !!
Barry Barnes - Ch Eng with his wife hazel !!
all good times - Russ Purdie

steve mcdougall
15th December 2012, 13:28
I can remember sailing twice with dave brown,on the ibn al nafees jan to june 1978,mv arrafat late 1979,he was chief mate from scotland,did he ever make master?

LouisB
15th December 2012, 15:07
Dave Clarke - Electrician /Andy Hunt -Chief Mate / Dave Brown - Chief Mate / Bill Coxon - Cadet / Bill Sadler - C/Eng / Dave Burdett - Eng Cadet / Chris Williams-Jones 2nd mate / Big Al - Jnr Eng from Govan - he built them !!
loads of names !!
Russ Purdie

Hi Russ' - I remember you and all the other cadets - causing chaos most of the time. I remember Harry O'Brian (Catering Off) getting pepsi poured over his head ???? - I wonder if he is still around? Trevor Shirley went back to tech' and took a computer course and started his own freelance consultancy - did quite well as I remember.

I'm now 70 and retired, living on the south coast, near to Eastbourne. I'm just about to depart to Rome for the holiday period - can't stand turkey ;) . I'm fortunate in having the loan of an apartment there. Hope life turned out o.k. for you Russ - they were good times and we had a ball.

Regards,

Dave Clarke.

Russ-Blackpool
16th December 2012, 16:21
If Dave Brown made Master - God help them all !!

Russ-Blackpool
16th December 2012, 16:23
Hi Dave - good to hear from you !! yes it was a good trip that one on the Al Ahmadiah - have a good trip to Rome - my email address is russpurdie@gmail.com - drop me a line when you get back !!
Take care - Russ

Russ-Blackpool
28th January 2013, 09:49
Hi Dave - hope you had a good trip to Rome over the Xmas period - Im still over in Amsterdam - got 1 week to go then home for a few weeks then maybe out to Oman for a couple of months. Keep in touch.
russpurdie@gmail.com

LouisB
28th January 2013, 18:42
(Scribe)Hi Dave - hope you had a good trip to Rome over the Xmas period - Im still over in Amsterdam - got 1 week to go then home for a few weeks then maybe out to Oman for a couple of months. Keep in touch.
russpurdie@gmail.com

E-mail winging its way Russ.

LouisB. (Scribe)

Andrew Scott
28th January 2013, 23:05
Guys

Was Dave Clarke smallish chap from Liverpool
If it was same guy I m thinking of he d sailed previously with Thos and Jos
Did last trip as Junior Lecky with him on Ibn Bassam I think
Learnt a lot he was clever chap

Rgds

Andrew Scott

Bobp
23rd February 2013, 19:47
Did two trips with KSC. Sailed on the AL KALIDIAH from Bidston to gulf and then usual stop Mauritius with all its distractions.As I have read The Golden
Moon actually dragged you in when you went. Then to New York. George Gugala was 4th, Personality to say the least.Great fun.sailed on Al Mansouriah. Joined Kuwait ,after it came from Australia.hardly anything working.spent two weeks in Durban after main engine camshaft snapped in two .quite a trip.I was junior engineer at the time.Great company with great guys and many many personalities. Of the companies I have sailed with whilst at sea this one holds the fondest memories

Andrew Scott
25th February 2013, 21:52
I sailed on many KSC UASC vessels Russian built and Kclass as 4th eng between 1976 & 1983 It would be great to be in touch with my ex shipmates.
See my SAY HELLO thread CHEBRYN just joined for more info.
Your name could be there!
Norman Clarke 2/E Kilmarnock FC supporter.
Mike Henwood, Graham Unsworth(Leckies)
George McLelland, Barry Jones (Eng Cadets)
Brian Cresswell Andy Fraser Jim Davison Rolf Paulsen J/Es

Sailed with Norman he was still 2/E Barry Jones was J/E and George McLelland was 4/E. That must ve been mid eighties cant remember ship but was one of the K's. george was a real Gent probably from the posh side of Liverpool. All good guys. See my profile. Rgds Andrew.

Andrew Scott
28th February 2013, 23:20
Hi Guys

Sailed on Hijaz 28.1.84 15.3.84 she had 2 x 5 tonners up fwd

Any one notice 1 seems to be missing on this link http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1542015

Can any of you shed any lite on this

Rgds

Andrew

Andrew Scott
28th February 2013, 23:26
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:15 PM
To:

Bryn

Hi

Belive it would ve been the Jolly Jab in 80 / 81

4 5 weeks at anchor for Basrah

We nearly lost the deck fire main over the side in Gulf of Lyon

2 weeks in Barcelona for repairs

C\0 was little Indian chap think his name was Roy Menzies

Lost 3 main engine tie rods in storm

Old man was ??? but he was some how attached to RNLI in Tenby

I live in Pembroke

Was nt far out with you location N Wales some where ha LOL

We loaded UK continent

Think you paid off on continent

One of the J\Es was Saudi lad Abe
Well western ised first at top of gangway as soon as we were alongside

F*** that was a rough ship No 3 generator had No 5 piston and con rod removed

2\E decided to start it one day nearly shook the back of the ship to bits

Blacked out 14 times in 4 and half months

I paid off in Kuwait and flew home Kuwait Airways with R\o

Guess what name of plane was
Yes Al Jabiriah

UCK we both said hope we don black out at 32 k feet

More later when I find book

How do we ADD THREADS TO Ships Nost

Rgds

Andrew

Andrew Scott
5th March 2013, 23:21
Does any one remember the names of the 4 or 6 of the Govan K's that had twin 40 tonners sailed on one but don't recollect which one it was

John.Wilkinson
6th March 2013, 09:49
Andrew, sailed on Ibn Zuhr, Al Mubarakiah and Al Salimiah. Do not think the cranes were twin 40 ton maybe 20 ton. Heavy lifts was by Stulken Derrick

A.D.FROST
6th March 2013, 10:40
Does any one remember the names of the 4 or 6 of the Govan K's that had twin 40 tonners sailed on one but don't recollect which one it was

'Kuwait' Class,IBN ABDOUN,BAJJAH,HAZM,AL-HAITHAM,SINA,ZUHR,JUBAYR

hamishb
6th March 2013, 12:56
see www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt for details of govan ships,
Ibn Battotah, Tuffail, Hayyan, Rushd, all appear to have Stulken derricks fitted

Andrew Scott
6th March 2013, 19:56
Gents

Thanks for the pointers
It was the Ibn Abdoun

They were some beasts those Clark Chapman 40 tonners

Rgds

Andrew

AlbieR
6th March 2013, 21:53
Hi Andrew,
I see you had all the answers to your question. Just a bit of further information, the Bajjah was sold to Chinese had the cranes removed and is still running around China carrying coal. Anybody interested send me a PM and I will attach a photo of it without the cranes under the Chinese flag for them.
Albie

AlbieR
12th March 2013, 06:36
Hi all,

I posted this link on the other UASC thread that is running but thought I would copy it here for those who only follow this one.
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FKuwait-Klasse
It was on the Danish Wikipedia site and I used Google translate to get it into English so some of the translation is strange. Somebody has gone to a lot of trouble to find out what happened to all the "K" Class.

Albie

A.D.FROST
12th March 2013, 09:58
These ships helped to kick start the Korean shipbuilding industry,and how ironic that the last H&W vessel with a B&W was built in Korea!

sam.todd
22nd March 2013, 17:07
Peter

Posted reply some time ago, seems it never got through for some reason.
I sailed and worked ashore with UASC(KSC) for 20 years. Knew Peter Everitt very well indeed, he sailed Master for some years until unfortunatly the company changed over to Indian Officers.

hi, worked for uasc, i see the liverpool office is gone, do they not recruit in the uk any more, whats the story with indian officers, when did the change take place, cheers, sam.

steve mcdougall
19th April 2013, 13:12
If Dave Brown made Master - God help them all !!

During your time with uasc,did you ever sail with or know a chief mate Tom Weale,from north wales? did he make master.

sam.todd
21st April 2013, 20:17
hi steve, i cant say i knew tom weale, memory is not too good, sailed with jimmy allen albie roberts sid dack ronnie huges trevor renolds dennis tweed etc etc if you have any pics i would like to see them, cheers sam.

LouisB
21st April 2013, 21:48
Gents

Thanks for the pointers
It was the Ibn Abdoun

They were some beasts those Clark Chapman 40 tonners

Rgds

Andrew

And so were the Ward Leonard sets when they needed a bearing change - bloody horrors!

LouisB.

(Scribe)

steve mcdougall
26th April 2013, 13:21
hi steve, i cant say i knew tom weale, memory is not too good, sailed with jimmy allen albie roberts sid dack ronnie huges trevor renolds dennis tweed etc etc if you have any pics i would like to see them, cheers sam.
hello sam,
I will dig out some old photo's,i re call i have a couple on the al farwaniah 1977,plus some on mv.hijaz 1979,they include clive beaver 3/e,ray scales 2/e some j/e's harry,grocer john 2/e cannot re call surnames,all the best steve.

AlbieR
28th April 2013, 11:16
Hi Steve,
Tommy Weale did sail as Master and a fine Master he was. His crew came first no matter what. Memory tells me he lived in Blackpool. I remember him bringing his caravan to Tilbury and parking it at the bottom of the gangplank with his family in to shame the company into letting families on board in UK ports.
Albie

sam.todd
28th April 2013, 18:59
albie, let me have your e-mail address and i will send you a pic of us, george witham 2/e had just cut are hair, cheers sam.

sam.todd
28th April 2013, 19:03
steve, did you get the pic of the al farwania i sent, sam.

ECKER365
11th May 2013, 00:32
i was cadet to 2nd mate 1978 to about 88 then worked for a few agencys ended up chevron usa ,surprisingly as they pd substancial overtime how mch less you got called out of your pit for nonsensical tasks lol ..many characters albie r ,stan hall stride ,captain wilkinson, albert hocking ,kieth rowley sparks ,big jim thepara,engr.still close friends sam shibill now business man in halifax ,sailed with pete everett as my chief mate good guy.relieved tony the commander spender i think in cadiz was sent to a dry dock to get seatime lol engineers hhad work but as 2nd mate there s only so many times you can heck a fire extinguisher..what a fiasco.also sent to jebel ali to show johny the greek buyers round the old russian ships.not exactly the toughest assignment i ve ever had .superman bar yoko , pandoras , king hotel a few watering holes that pop to mind in far east fortunately as cadet was limited to 70% of salary lol maxd out many times and some

Clive Beaver
22nd May 2013, 20:48
74 to 80's best years of my life

ECKER365
23rd May 2013, 06:16
Yes I think all in all great days sometimes in dam man or swinging round the hook for 3 mths in Kuwait .a lot boring. But once spent 4 weeks in Rio,2 weeks dry dock 2 weeks loading main duty was to organise females for a party.Capt Wilkinson orders.said to me 'what you doing third mate,' I said watching these steel pipes being loaded'capn'he said 'don't worry enough people watching them you come with me and organise this party,best job I ever had .Albert hocking chief engineer what a duet. .'I don'tneed. To go in the engine room son .I just need to look at the funnel,lol.

steve mcdougall
23rd May 2013, 17:00

Thanks for the message,as stated we sailed on mv.hijaz 17th December 1978 in Kuwait paid off in Liverpool 1st May 1979,Tony Grundon was old man,C/E's Kennedy and J.Jaques 2/E was Tom Bennett,and Ray scales, lecy was Haiden with his wife Sharne,i have dug out some photo's you are on a couple,are you still in Urmston.All the best.

23rd May 2013, 20:51

Hi Clive,
Remember 'Snail racing' on the Mansouriah?
and a week at anchor in the bitter lakes.

Clive Beaver
23rd May 2013, 21:23
Hi Clive,
Remember 'Snail racing' on the Mansouriah?
and a week at anchor in the bitter lakes.

Yes, there were some good times mixed with the blood,sweat & tears.
I always remember the toilet was directly above the engine room, never hung about there !

Clive Beaver
24th May 2013, 07:37
Hello and Happy New Year to all ex KSC & UASC people who may read this.

I served on the following ships:

Al Farwaniah 1976/7 Ibn Qutaibah 1980 Ibn Tufail 1983
Ibn Malik 1977 Al Mansouriah 1981 Al Fujairah 1984
Ahmad al Fateh 1978 Ibn Younus1982 Khalid Ibn Al Waleed 1984
Jilfar 1978 Ibn Battotah 1982 Al Yamamah 1985
Al Solaibiah 1979 Al Yamamah1983 Ahmad al Fateh 1985
Addiriyah 1980 Ibn Sina 1983 Ibn Al Atheer 1986/7

and remember the following people:

Mike Hardmeat Malcolm Youd Jimmy Allen,
John Bannister Hilton Begg P Bradley Gordon Bubbear
Mike Burton R Elison Roy Emmas Jack Etchells Arthur Grey B Halliday Oliver Hedley Malcolm Hedley Maurice Hennon Eric von Hipple
John Albert Hocking Brian Hough Dave Ireland Miroslav Jerkovic A Kennedy Ian Laing Pinkney Loftus David Lown Duncan McGregor G Mills
E Moor Eric Pearson Peter Roberts P Robinson John Roderick D Sadler Schorah Logie Smith J C Ward Peter Wheeler Bob Wilkinson J Unwin David Bedford Peter Everett Haddon
Mackrell Parry Seybold PL Walton Mackie
Sivapathasunderam Jack Duncan Peter Leck

and Office Staff Bill Sadler George Roberts

I must apologise for not being able to remember peoples full names but after a few years things become a bit hazy. I did think though that these names may add to the converstation that had been going a bit flat lately.

Hi John,
Did we sail together on the Ahmed al Fateh from the yard in Hyundai ?

JohnGrace
25th May 2013, 16:30
Hi Clive and also Steve McDougal. I am sorry to say Steve that I only have a vague recollection of you relieving me in Kuwait on 5th January 1977 I believe. It was a long time ago now. Al Farwaniah was a really happy ship and I have good memories of her. I hope you had an equally happy time on her. As Clive says the "best years of my life" for me also whilst working for the company. I must have been on The Mansouriah after you as the collection of Japanese toilets was still on board, in the steering gear store locker.
I have a small spreadsheet where I collect details of my time at sea as I recall them and although there are large gaps in the info I find that I can fill in some missing info every now and then. It gets more difficult as time goes by to remember events though sometimes i pick up stuff from websites like this.
Clive do you remember the surname of the 2/E on the Malik, it was John and he was from East Anglia I think and had a minor interest in navigation. I did bump into him when he was working ashore in Dubai and I heard that he was killed crossing the Road along the docks in Dubai.
There is a good amount of stuff regarding KSC and UASC on this website but a lot of it was before my time with the company.

Clive Beaver
25th May 2013, 19:19
Hi Clive and also Steve McDougal. I am sorry to say Steve that I only have a vague recollection of you relieving me in Kuwait on 5th January 1977 I believe. It was a long time ago now. Al Farwaniah was a really happy ship and I have good memories of her. I hope you had an equally happy time on her. As Clive says the "best years of my life" for me also whilst working for the company. I must have been on The Mansouriah after you as the collection of Japanese toilets was still on board, in the steering gear store locker.
I have a small spreadsheet where I collect details of my time at sea as I recall them and although there are large gaps in the info I find that I can fill in some missing info every now and then. It gets more difficult as time goes by to remember events though sometimes i pick up stuff from websites like this.
Clive do you remember the surname of the 2/E on the Malik, it was John and he was from East Anglia I think and had a minor interest in navigation. I did bump into him when he was working ashore in Dubai and I heard that he was killed crossing the Road along the docks in Dubai.
There is a good amount of stuff regarding KSC and UASC on this website but a lot of it was before my time with the company.

The 2/E name was John Ryde he left UASC and went working in Dubai for TEAMS ( technical engineering and marine services) with Medwin Jones who also worked for KSC, met him there and had a nice meal in his villa.
He was killed on the jumeirah beach road in Dubai

Clive Beaver
25th May 2013, 19:21
Does anyone remember the advert in the MNOPF paper:
" Can you wait to join Kuwait" !!
Oh how we laughed

sam.todd
31st May 2013, 19:49
hello sam,
I will dig out some old photo's,i re call i have a couple on the al farwaniah 1977,plus some on mv.hijaz 1979,they include clive beaver 3/e,ray scales 2/e some j/e's harry,grocer john 2/e cannot re call surnames,all the best steve.

hi steve, if you have any pics please send, sam.

steve mcdougall
3rd June 2013, 12:51
I can recall John Banisster2/E, working by on the Al Farwaniah in Liverpool 1977,you will have sailed with him 1976,i may just recall John Ryde 2/E if he was a very tall slim person i met him in Antwerp 1979,can you remember the officers you sailed with on the Al Farwaniah John 2/E
from teeside,phil3/E from Barrow had his wife on voyage with him Paul4/Efrom Liverpool Frank 3rd mate from Ghana.

sam.todd
3rd June 2013, 18:56
hi steve, i joined the alfarwania in january 1975, memory is blurred, the 4/e was trevor reynolds 3/e was white haired scouse cant remember his name 2/e had his american wife him c/e was brian a geordie the grocer was eric von hipple the 3/m was called pauly nice bloke, i sailed with john bannister on a k class, how did you know i sailed with him, if you have any pics please send i might reconise someone, cheers sam.

AlbieR
4th June 2013, 12:52
hi steve, i joined the alfarwania in january 1975, memory is blurred, the 4/e was trevor reynolds 3/e was white haired scouse cant remember his name 2/e had his american wife him c/e was brian a geordie the grocer was eric von hipple the 3/m was called pauly nice bloke, i sailed with john bannister on a k class, how did you know i sailed with him, if you have any pics please send i might reconise someone, cheers sam.

Sam,

I sailed with TreFor when I was doing a bit of dredging with Arco, he was chief and I was 2/E, we had a few good runs ashore together on the continent. The "white haired scouse" was most certainly Brian McKeown, I did two years with him in Cadiz during the rebuild of Rumaithiah/Ahmadiah/Shamiah and the stories are now legends. One that comes to mind was when we were in a disco and he produced a pair of sunglasses and a white stick and asked me to lead him onto the dance floor, a poor unsuspecting Spanish girl took pity on him and stated to dance with him, he then went into Rock & Roll and threw her all over the place! He then waited for me to lead him back to the bar, classic.
Did you get the picture of the Bajjah?

Albie

steve mcdougall
4th June 2013, 17:15

to J.Grace,do you remember any of the ship mates from my posting yesterday,you will have sailed with them late 1976.

sam.todd
5th June 2013, 20:38
hi clive, was medwin jones light made blonde and from manchester, i think i knew him when he was 4/e, if you have any pics i would like to see them if you let me have your e-mail address i will send some pics, cheers sam.

AlbieR
5th June 2013, 21:09
Sam
Med Jones did come from Manchester and it used to be a standing joke he was a sh**house engineer because he served his time at a sewage works! Handy when the sh*t tank went on the bugle.
Albie

JohnGrace
5th June 2013, 21:59
Hi Steve,
Sorry for not getting back sooner.
The Farwaniah people who I can remember are Capts Seybold and I think Peter Lawrie; Mate was Pete Roberts, I later sailed with him as Capt but can't remember the ship; I think the 3rd mate may have been Frank from Ghana and I think there was Osman from Somalia either 2nd Mate or 3rd Mate at some point in the trip. I have a hazy recollection of a second mate who had served in the Omani Navy, though this may have been on another ship. I am sorry to say I can't remember the Chief Steward though I did sail with Eric Von Hipple later on an other ship.
C/E were Brian Hough mainly but I think A Kennedy and E Moor were also there.
2/E was John Bannister; and I later heard John Ryde was on her later. (John was a tall thin guy who rolled his own) 3/E was Phil, can't remember his surname, with his wife Janet, ( I have a photo somewhere of Phil and Janet ringing in the New Year on the ships bell on the forecastle) 4/E was Billy Daryl, who was lucky? enough to do three consecutive trips on the ship and I think one of these was all in Liverpool (the ship never left).
Juniors were myself, Jimmy Jones from Liverpool, Graham Tillotson with his wife on the coast, Colin Bubber was also with us for some time.
Lecky was a lad from around the Manchester/Yorshire area with his wife and the second elect was Geoffrey, again forgot surname, from Shoreham. I did hear later that Geoffrey was badly burnt, I think in a car accident.
I remember flying out with the lecky and his wife and AN Other. We were having problems getting the flight and I am sure that the lecky had words with someone and got us a placement flight on a Kuwait Airways 707 going to Kuwait. We were the only passengers on board and were well looked after by the crew, even got introduced to the planes cat.
I may recall further details later. Over the last day or two, apart from some of the above, I recalled a second mate named Basil (forgot surname) who had married an Irish girl and lived in Ireland. I sailed with him on a Saudi K class and Tlbury was one of the ports we visited.
Hope this is helpful.

steve mcdougall
6th June 2013, 16:20
Hi Steve,
Sorry for not getting back sooner.
The Farwaniah people who I can remember are Capts Seybold and I think Peter Lawrie; Mate was Pete Roberts, I later sailed with him as Capt but can't remember the ship; I think the 3rd mate may have been Frank from Ghana and I think there was Osman from Somalia either 2nd Mate or 3rd Mate at some point in the trip. I have a hazy recollection of a second mate who had served in the Omani Navy, though this may have been on another ship. I am sorry to say I can't remember the Chief Steward though I did sail with Eric Von Hipple later on an other ship.
C/E were Brian Hough mainly but I think A Kennedy and E Moor were also there.
2/E was John Bannister; and I later heard John Ryde was on her later. (John was a tall thin guy who rolled his own) 3/E was Phil, can't remember his surname, with his wife Janet, ( I have a photo somewhere of Phil and Janet ringing in the New Year on the ships bell on the forecastle) 4/E was Billy Daryl, who was lucky? enough to do three consecutive trips on the ship and I think one of these was all in Liverpool (the ship never left).
Juniors were myself, Jimmy Jones from Liverpool, Graham Tillotson with his wife on the coast, Colin Bubber was also with us for some time.
Lecky was a lad from around the Manchester/Yorshire area with his wife and the second elect was Geoffrey, again forgot surname, from Shoreham. I did hear later that Geoffrey was badly burnt, I think in a car accident.
I remember flying out with the lecky and his wife and AN Other. We were having problems getting the flight and I am sure that the lecky had words with someone and got us a placement flight on a Kuwait Airways 707 going to Kuwait. We were the only passengers on board and were well looked after by the crew, even got introduced to the planes cat.
I may recall further details later. Over the last day or two, apart from some of the above, I recalled a second mate named Basil (forgot surname) who had married an Irish girl and lived in Ireland. I sailed with him on a Saudi K class and Tlbury was one of the ports we visited.
Hope this is helpful.

I can re call Geoffrey he paid off about 3 weeks after you,the chief leccy from the Yorkshire area,had some type of fit whilst still at anchor of Kuwait,Peter Lawrie sent him home next day,the replacement leccies were Chris Halliday from Newcastle,and a tall 2nd leccy from Sunderlad,Kennedy and Bobber and others left in Liverpool,Billy,a j/e Andy Cooke and others joined in Liverpool.

Jim Glover
6th June 2013, 18:26
I sailed with a Captain Norman Hodder British Courage 1970 He was from Aberdeen

cb2171
6th June 2013, 22:35
Your a long way from home; that was BP Tankers. Capt Norman Hodder was extremely ill and paid off medically sick in Accra 1971 when he was master British Sovereign. His relief was TMY Richards. I believe that was his last seagoing voyage. A nice man who always had kind words for us young cadets.

cb2171
6th June 2013, 22:36
Correction - British Signal

sam.todd
10th June 2013, 18:48
hi steve, recieved your pics, im afraid i dont know anybody in the pics, i liked the pic of the generators and the pic taken from the skylight, when i get home ill send you some pics. sam.

Clive Beaver
14th June 2013, 16:26
hi clive, was medwin jones light made blonde and from manchester, i think i knew him when he was 4/e, if you have any pics i would like to see them if you let me have your e-mail address i will send some pics, cheers sam.

Hi Sam,
Email address is clivebeaver@hotmail.com
Got loads of photo's myself in the loft ,need to get them scanned

Engine Serang
28th June 2013, 22:09
Come clean Mr Beaver, are you the Urmston Worm?

Don B
1st July 2013, 23:22
a conversation about when the Ayatolla came to power in Iran & google has led me to this site & I remember a lot of names.
I joined KSC in 1976 as an Engineer Cadet at Riversdale.
First trip was on the Al Rumathiah 1979 joined in Tilbury dry dock. Captain Groom (+ new wife) & Cheif Barry Coope (with Pat) - just missed Mauritius had a bad trip to the gulf with lots of breakdown stops!! there were 6 Brit Cadets on that ship, Dave Gregory, Steve Findlay, Mark Seed, Wayne Brooks, me & another lad who threw his hand in. This was before it was chopped up to Container spec.
Second was on the Ibn Al Roomi - Cant remember all the names but have them written down somewhere. 3rd Engineer Dave Howard from Liverpool sailed with his brother Andy too
Final trip on the Ibn Al Nafees - joined in Venice dry dock early 1980 - only 2 month then back to college.
First trip Junior was on the Addiriyah ( 2nd trip from new Container ship ) joined in Tilbury. 1981 August?
Second trip was on the Arafat
Third on the Ibn Abdoun
Fouth on the Theekar
Fifth Ibn Al Roomi again
then the Al Ahmadiah now a container ship
next trip would then have been back on the Al Ahmadiah but i got a shoreside job & left in 1985 as a lot of other Brits were doing at the time.
I have lots of pics of all these trips & the ships themselves & will post them along with names of people who made some long trips funny & bearable.
some other names i sailed with that most of you may well know - Capt Wilkinson - Captain Dodd (stopped my tap as a cadet for 2 weeks !!) -Cheif Barry Barnes - 2nd Peter Wilson - Elekky Steve Johnson - Sparky Dermott Elsey, Fergus - I have pics of you - Eddie the Arab (served his time in Govan from Iraq? but had a proper Weegie Accent) & some great Arab lads just cant remember their names at the moment.
I will return with more info- Regards

Don B
1st July 2013, 23:25
Hi Sam,
Email address is clivebeaver@hotmail.com
Got loads of photo's myself in the loft ,need to get them scanned

Hi Clive - how you doin? remember me?
cant remember which ship but we had a good laugh - Don - Junior Eng?

Karl Burns
28th July 2013, 21:02
I have just found this site Russ remember me Karl Burns we were fellow cadets on the IBN Zuhr you showed me how to drink and left a lot of porn at South Shields. Joined in 77 but left in 82 due to skin cancer. Then police force finished as inspector now working for a bank. You always said I would be a banker or should that start with a w. great to read all the blogs best regards Karl

Karl Burns
28th July 2013, 21:03
Hi Dave - good to hear from you !! yes it was a good trip that one on the Al Ahmadiah - have a good trip to Rome - my email address is russpurdie@gmail.com - drop me a line when you get back !!
Take care - Russ
I have just found this site Russ remember me Karl Burns we were fellow cadets on the IBN Zuhr you showed me how to drink and left a lot of porn at South Shields. Joined in 77 but left in 82 due to skin cancer. Then police force finished as inspector now working for a bank. You always said I would be a banker or should that start with a w. great to read all the blogs best regards Karl

Karl Burns
29th July 2013, 19:40
I was a Deck Cadet and Ian Grindrod (I think) was the cadet training Officer !! I had a good time and am now a Marine Cargo Superintendent !!
Russ Purdie

Hi Russ remember me you taught me how to drink on the IBN ZUHR,joined in 77 as cadet left as 3rdmate in 82 best regard KArl Burns

Angecahill
29th August 2013, 09:17
Hi, my Dad, James Finnegan was with KSC I think early 70s and sailed on the Al Mansouriah. Does anyone remember him and if so do you have any info re other ships he may have sailed on?
Thanks
Angela

steve mcdougall
30th August 2013, 12:14
I cannot recall the name,if you give more details regarding department and rank etc, it will help to jog peoples memory, regards Steve Mcdougall.

Angecahill
30th August 2013, 12:24
Hi Dad was an engineer possibly got up to 3rd engineer at some
Point. If I can work out how to do it I will post a photo. Somewhere we have one of him in his whites on deck. He was with Elder De,master, NZSCo, KSC and possibly others not sure.

Engine Serang
30th August 2013, 22:26
Hi Angela,

Was on the Al Mansouriah in 1977 and 1979 and unfortunately do not recall your Dad, but like the rest of us I'm sure he enjoyed his time with KSC.

Kev Taylor
8th September 2013, 23:13
i have only just found this site, and reading through the threads was brilliant it brought back so many half remembered names and memories, Albie we met loads of times but never sailed together as we were always similar ranks. i will dig my old discharge book out for the ships. There is going to be a reunion for any old KSC/UASC officers in Alterincham nr Manchester on the 21st september. as far as i know the following will be going.Brian Springhall, Sludge phillips, Pete Cranston, Nick Pentland, Kev taylor, Barry Barnes, and others, i havnt got the full list yet but anyone is welcome, details to follow.
Kev Taylor

sam.todd
9th September 2013, 00:26
Hi kev, I think I was your junior on the ibn al nafees, I have some pics if you are lnterested. Sam.

Kev Taylor
9th September 2013, 10:03
Hi Sam
Yes I remember you well, that was the one we took out of Korea, Brian Kirkley was C/E. Any pics would be welcome, I must dig all mine out. Hope you are well.
All the Best
Kev

gonk
11th September 2013, 19:00
I sailed as a junior engineer in the Al Mubarakiah. 67-68. Did to trips then moved on.

nednohair
21st October 2013, 15:10
Hi Kev,
Just saw your post....served with KSC as deck officer (2/0 and c/o) from 73 to 78. Great years. Then went onto ferries, finally as Master and retired two years ago.
You ment a gathering last Sept near Manchester - did this take place?
Would have liked to attend.
Live in Dublin but travel no problem.
Any future plans for meetings / gatherings?
My email is edkeane49@gmail.com

Eddie Keane

gonk
21st October 2013, 23:16
I left Al Mubarakiah for Harrisons in 69. Remember John Lowe was 2nd and Bearspark chief.It was John's recommendation that I went to T and J Harrisons. Thought I was having a couple of months coasting but went deep sea after a week!

Rollsroyce
15th November 2013, 19:35
I sailed with a Norman Hodder onboard a Bp Tanker in the 60/70's, can't remember the name of the ship but it'll be in my disharge book somewhere....perhaps - if it was a good day

Brian McCarthy
8th February 2014, 22:38
I was with UASC from 78-83, Ibn Bassam, Ibn Duraid ,Al Salimiah,Al Shidadiah,Ibn Battotah (twice) Theekar, Al Mansouriah, Ibn Asakir and more as Junior/4E. They were good to work for most of the time , some great people, had lots of fun

Brian McCarthy
8th February 2014, 22:51

Isailed with Medwin twice, he was 4th and then 3rd, next time I saw him he was working for Dubai drydock (early 80's) his missus was with him one trip,
regards, Bri

Chebryn
17th February 2014, 13:35
Calling all KSC and UASC members could any of you please provide me with a photo of the Russian built ship the Al Aridhiah.
Thanks
Bryn

Brian Clark Springhall
13th April 2014, 11:18
Calling all KSC and UASC members could any of you please provide me with a photo of the Russian built ship the Al Aridhiah.
Thanks
Bryn

Hi Bryn, hope you managed to get your foto of the Aridhiah.
There doesn't appear to be a lot of people using the site anymore, Just heard that John Bannister passed away on March 11th, he was permit 2nd and then went ashore in Dubai with Ruperts Rangers.
Thinking of having another reunion this year in September at the same place as last year but dont know if any one is interested and also dont know how to get in touch with Kevin Lloyd and Malcom Mitchell. Dont think that Barry Barnes would be coming as he is not in the best of health with his parkinsons disease.

Take care brian

Chebryn
13th April 2014, 13:56
Brian
Last years reunion was the first ever and if there is one this year perhaps more will attend. It was a good night enjoyed by everyone.

If a reunion is arranged for 2014 I will be there, any venue suits me.

I have little knowledge of whereabouts of my old colleagues but hopefully through this site they will get in contact and arrangements can be made.

Come on all you ex KSC/UASC employees tell your old shipmates about a possible reunion and get in touch initially through Ships Nostalgia.

Bryn

sam.todd
13th April 2014, 20:46
hi brian, sorry to hear about john bannister, like you he was one of the good guys, if im back from the u.s.a. in September I would go to a reunion, aiso has anyone a picture of the ibn zaidoun in its Kuwait livery, got one of it when it got sold to the Chinese, have not heard from albie in a while maybe hes out tossing the caber, the sight has been quite lately. sam.

George McCaffery
15th April 2014, 23:16
I have found this thread again as i did'nt realize there was two threads for Kuwait shipping company. So in case i have missed anyone. I sailed for two trips on Al Mubarakiah as R/O from May 1969 until March 1970. Great days and a great bunch of lads.

barga
17th April 2014, 21:51
During your time with uasc,did you ever sail with or know a chief mate Tom Weale,from north wales? did he make master.

I sailed with Tom Weale , he was Master on a Korean build that we took from the yard , did a far east run then a states run . This would have been in 1980 , I was 3rd mate , John Lord ? was C/0 , Robert Milsom ? from N Yorks was 2/0 .

Brian Clark Springhall
18th April 2014, 09:54
hi brian, sorry to hear about john bannister, like you he was one of the good guys, if im back from the u.s.a. in September I would go to a reunion, aiso has anyone a picture of the ibn zaidoun in its Kuwait livery, got one of it when it got sold to the Chinese, have not heard from albie in a while maybe hes out tossing the caber, the sight has been quite lately. sam.

Hi Sam, Thank God someone is looking at the site again, yes I guess we all have to go sometime, but for John it was a little early, he was quite a few years younger than me. Also heard from Bryn Doleman (chebryn) that Mike Penghelly had passed away about 4 years ago, he was a 2nd mate in the company and then went as a pilot in Bahrain. If there is a reunion this year it would be on the 20th September and at the same place as last year. That is the ASE Club in Altringcham near Manchester.

AlbieR
18th April 2014, 15:49
Hi Brian,

Still watching all the sites ref KSC/UASC just waiting for new faces to appear, of which there are plenty. Who was the dispen 2/E who was killed outside the Mission in Dubai when working for Dimitrie, I remember he was called John but can't recall his second name. I trust you have been in touch with Kiwi about dates of this years reunion, maybe I will make it this time must get a beer out of you before you meet St Peter. Weather in Kintyre at the minute is superb, makes it all worth while.

Have a good Easter
Albie

lordy
18th April 2014, 16:13
I sailed with Tom Weale , he was Master on a Korean build that we took from the yard , did a far east run then a states run . This would have been in 1980 , I was 3rd mate , John Lord ? was C/0 , Robert Milsom ? from N Yorks was 2/0 .

I was chief mate on that trip, joined in Hyundai it was the Theekar.
back to the gulf then the states I left on the return to the
Gulf in Dubai never to step on a Kuwaiti ship again.
Don't know what happened to Tom Weale never heard
of him again

AlbieR
18th April 2014, 17:12
Hi John,

Nice to see you are still about, how are things in Alicante? Theekar nice photo of her here.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1728856

Albie

AlbieR
18th April 2014, 17:52
Lordy,

Forgot to mention Di sends her best wishes and remembers the 5 aside teams (Bolocks & Knackers) when we were stuck at the anchorage in Kuwait on the Ibn Al Beitar. Anybody any idea what happened to Don Ross, it's a mystery, I heard he died but have had no confirmation, great guy, but used to pick his nose all the time!

Albie

lordy
18th April 2014, 20:50
Lordy,

Forgot to mention Di sends her best wishes and remembers the 5 aside teams (Bolocks & Knackers) when we were stuck at the anchorage in Kuwait on the Ibn Al Beitar. Anybody any idea what happened to Don Ross, it's a mystery, I heard he died but have had no confirmation, great guy, but used to pick his nose all the time!

Albie

Hi, Albie
Good to here from you.
I heard Don had died but don't know
where I got the info. He was a crap
footballer anyway.
What happened to C/E Dave Goodhand I think his
name was
All the best to Di
Rgds
John

AlbieR
18th April 2014, 21:13
Hi John,

I have not seen or heard of Dave Goodhand since I sailed with him about a year after the Beitar. He lived in Beverley just north of Hull. One tale I remember of him, two lads came to him in a pub just before he was due to join with his wife and offered him a patio window at a knockdown price. They fitted it and a week after he sailed they returned took it out and emptied the house, he was targeted. May get over to Alicante on the bike someday.

Albie

Tony Morris
18th April 2014, 21:47
Sailed with UASC from 1977 t0 1980 as J/E, one of George Westons Flying Circus, some of my best times at sea.
Ibn Hazm 25/07/77 to 09/09/77
Ibn Jubayr 20/10/77 to 07/01/78
Ibn Abdoun 01/03/78 to 04/07/78
Ibn Al-Haitham 17/09/78 to 31/01/79
Ibn Battotah 24/04/79 to 13/09/79
Jebel Ali 20/04/80 to 24/07/80
Al-Aridiah 30/08/80 to 12/09/80
Tony

JohnGrace
20th April 2014, 11:50
Sorry to hear about John Bannister. We sailed together in 1976 on Al Farwaniah, a good engineer and a great person. For Albie's query regarding 2/E killed in Dubai, it was John Ryde, who I sailed with on Ibn Malik in 1977. See this thread Posts 187 and 188. Another good engineer though he could be a hard task master at times.

AlbieR
20th April 2014, 12:01
Sorry to hear about John Bannister. We sailed together in 1976 on Al Farwaniah, a good engineer and a great person. For Albie's query regarding 2/E killed in Dubai, it was John Ryde, who I sailed with on Ibn Malik in 1977. See this thread Posts 187 and 188. Another good engineer though he could be a hard task master at times.

Thanks John,

Must have been having a senior moment, couldn't remember John's second name even though I had sailed with him a few times. As you say a great bloke who knew how to work juniors, no easy night time port watches with John.

Regards
Albie

Brian Clark Springhall
21st April 2014, 13:06
Hi Brian,

Still watching all the sites ref KSC/UASC just waiting for new faces to appear, of which there are plenty. Who was the dispen 2/E who was killed outside the Mission in Dubai when working for Dimitrie, I remember he was called John but can't recall his second name. I trust you have been in touch with Kiwi about dates of this years reunion, maybe I will make it this time must get a beer out of you before you meet St Peter. Weather in Kintyre at the minute is superb, makes it all worth while.

Have a good Easter
Albie

Hi Albie,

Nice to hear from you again, the only John that I remember being killed in Dubai was John Ryde.
The first KSC man to work for Dimitri was Peter Porter (Fatman with Boy Blunder) Rupert and they landed poor old dimitri in gaol when Peter absconded with all the money.
I tried contacting Kiwi on an email but it was rejected so no I have not contacted him, maybe you could do it as a favour. I will also phone Tom Bailey and Faik Toney as they both live over that way and could attend any reunion.

Brian Clark Springhall
22nd April 2014, 11:21

Hi John,

Seems like you answered Albie's query before me, yes it was John Ryde and he was killed in his car doing a U turn on the main road, probably thought he was Steve Mcqueen. He relieved me on the Rushd in 1974 and met him later when himself and a junior had swum over to our ship whislt anchored with a knife in his mouth, told the junior to keep us talking whilst he went down to the stores to rob some generator spares, he didn't succeed, bit of a character and felt really sorry for his wife when he passed away.

LouisB
22nd April 2014, 12:30
Hi Sam, Thank God someone is looking at the site again, yes I guess we all have to go sometime, but for John it was a little early, he was quite a few years younger than me. Also heard from Bryn Doleman (chebryn) that Mike Penghelly had passed away about 4 years ago, he was a 2nd mate in the company and then went as a pilot in Bahrain. If there is a reunion this year it would be on the 20th September and at the same place as last year. That is the ASE Club in Altringcham near Manchester.

Sailed with Mike Penghelly way back on one of the 'K' class. Quite larger than life and a good guy to have around. I got on very well with him and am sorry to see he's crossed the bar. Couldn't have been all that old.

LouisB. (Scribe)

(Dave Clarke) KSC/UASC Elect/Eng. 1977/86

Brian Clark Springhall
24th April 2014, 20:59
Sailed with Mike Penghelly way back on one of the 'K' class. Quite larger than life and a good guy to have around. I got on very well with him and am sorry to see he's crossed the bar. Couldn't have been all that old.

LouisB. (Scribe)

(Dave Clarke) KSC/UASC Elect/Eng. 1977/86

Yes Louis Mike would only be 61 when he passed away, such a nice person but i am sure that he had a full and eventful life.

Sailed with Dave clark a couple of times ex RN as I recall.

Bassman JaCK
25th April 2014, 15:01
Hi Guys, looking through the thread I see names I remember and names I think I remember. I stood by the three "Big" Russians and was rewarded by being on the Shamiah the last one to leave Cadiz. Out of the yard heading in ballast direct to New York straight into the path of a "Hurricane"........Catch phrase at the time was "Weebles Womble but they wont fall down". Which in the case of the Shamiah proved true......We took a real battering but "In Shah Allah" we got there more or less in one piece.....Well the bits that fell off we put back on at a later date.
I have seen Barry Barnes name mentioned if anyone has contact details for him I would love to make contact and "swing the lamp" with him again.

Bassman Jack A.K.A. Jim Jennion

AlbieR
26th April 2014, 19:06
Hi Albie,

Nice to hear from you again, the only John that I remember being killed in Dubai was John Ryde.
The first KSC man to work for Dimitri was Peter Porter (Fatman with Boy Blunder) Rupert and they landed poor old dimitri in gaol when Peter absconded with all the money.
I tried contacting Kiwi on an email but it was rejected so no I have not contacted him, maybe you could do it as a favour. I will also phone Tom Bailey and Faik Toney as they both live over that way and could attend any reunion.

Hi Brian,

I sent you an email about the reunion forwarded from Kiwi but it was rejected, I have also sent you a PM. If you do not get it send me a PM with your current email in it. Rupert was a contributor to SN but I have not seen him for a while

Regards
Albie

Brian Clark Springhall
28th April 2014, 22:48
Hi Guys, looking through the thread I see names I remember and names I think I remember. I stood by the three "Big" Russians and was rewarded by being on the Shamiah the last one to leave Cadiz. Out of the yard heading in ballast direct to New York straight into the path of a "Hurricane"........Catch phrase at the time was "Weebles Womble but they wont fall down". Which in the case of the Shamiah proved true......We took a real battering but "In Shah Allah" we got there more or less in one piece.....Well the bits that fell off we put back on at a later date.
I have seen Barry Barnes name mentioned if anyone has contact details for him I would love to make contact and "swing the lamp" with him again.

Bassman Jack A.K.A. Jim Jennion

Hello Jim,

I sailed on all three big Russians before the conversions, nice ships and sailed on the Shamiah with Barry barnes.
Barry as you may have seen has parkinsons disease but if you want to talk to him his phone No is 01759 302740 which is pocklington N Yorks. I took him down to the reunion last year, dont know if he will make it this year as he keeps having bad spells. Hazel will answer the phone and then she will put Barry on.

Regards Brian

baileysan
30th April 2014, 18:22
Brian
I still look over the site every now and then keep up with things but my memory for names not as good as you and Albie. Sorry to hear about John Bannister I lost touch with him when Keith Roberts died. I mention that Dimitri really blew his own money,a long story believe me.

Brian Clark Springhall
30th April 2014, 22:53
Brian
I still look over the site every now and then keep up with things but my memory for names not as good as you and Albie. Sorry to hear about John Bannister I lost touch with him when Keith Roberts died. I mention that Dimitri really blew his own money,a long story believe me.

Hello Tom,

Nice to hear from you again, you must have known Mike Penghelli he was 2nd mate in the company and went as pilot in Bahrain around 1984/85. I am sure that you knew Dimitri a lot better than we did, he was always very good to me as was Peter Porter, did speak with Peter when he had a very short spell with with Aco Marit who were managing Saudi National.
Was going to phone you about going to the reunion this year and to get in touch with Jimmy Dyson to see if he would attend, I will phone Faik to get him to attend. It is planned for the 23rd September at the ASE club in Altrincham and all of us last year stayed at the Cresta Court Hotel.

Best Regards Brian

baileysan
1st May 2014, 20:49
Brian
Yes maybe I can make it this year see how it goes. You do know Peter Porter died some time ago, he was was in Varna and I was doing a job in Turkey and we spoke on the phone arranged a long overdue get together and then got the word he died suddenly. Never did catch up. Saw Jim Dyson couple of weeks ago unfortunately his wife contacted some serious virus in Spain and is in intensive care last I heard. Still I managed a couple of pints with him.

Brian Clark Springhall
6th May 2014, 00:16
Brian
Yes maybe I can make it this year see how it goes. You do know Peter Porter died some time ago, he was was in Varna and I was doing a job in Turkey and we spoke on the phone arranged a long overdue get together and then got the word he died suddenly. Never did catch up. Saw Jim Dyson couple of weeks ago unfortunately his wife contacted some serious virus in Spain and is in intensive care last I heard. Still I managed a couple of pints with him.

Hi Tom,
Sorry hear about Peter Porter, another one gone, and where is Rupert nowadays, he used to be on the site regularly as Candpet.
I'm glad Jim is still well but sorry to hear about his wife's illness, hope she is better shortly. I was through to Newcastle today to visit chinatown and do a bit of shopping, hardly ever go up north always go into Yorkshire for a day out.
The reunion is on the 27th not the 23rd, there are are quite a few new ones coming, Kearsley from NZ and a couple from Ireland, Sam Todd and Eddie Keane, of course Albie is coming and I hope to get hold of Arthur Charnock to attend.

Rgds Brian

Engine Serang
11th May 2014, 08:18
Hi Folk,

Very sorry to hear about John Bannister, I never sailed with him but lodged with him in the Mission in Hull about 1979. he was studying for his Seconds.
as a 2/E or 3/E on the small Russians it was always a relief when Rupert and his gang came on board in Kuwait to do a unit or whatever to allow the ships engineers to patch up the bloody generators or the "Hideous Hagglands" hydraulic cranes. BTW has anybody else nightmares still about the Hagglunds boiling in the heat of Abadan or Khorramashar?
am I correct in thinking that Peter Porters son was an Engine Cadet in 1980? I think I sailed with him on the Ibn Abdoun or Hyaan.
weather rubbish here in Dublin.
Hem de la la.