AMC Ships

Jan Hendrik
12th March 2005, 04:33
What about some of those vessels from Launceston Maritime College. The "Wyuna"?? wasn't she one of those vessels roaming the coast of OZ?
I have plenty of photos of her as well as also looked after some of her drydockings in Launceston.
Besides I probably have the one and only and most beautiful real painting of this vessel when she was still orange. Painted in 1977.
I only know her from 1980's onwards with a dark blue topside.

Bob_F
12th March 2005, 05:44
You mentioned the "Wyuna" was she built in Ferguson's in Port Glasgow? or are you aware of her origin. When she was built I was working on a tug for Aussie the "Woona" in the yard next door J. Lamonts I think this was around 1953-54. When we were doing trials the Royal Yacht "Britannia" was also doing trials, made both of us look like we were stopped.
Cheers.
Bob.

Doug Rogers
12th March 2005, 06:04
Yes I do remember the Wyuna and if my memory serves me right she was actually the Radio Relay vessel for the Sydney Hobart yacht race for a couple of years. I know I have been on her but at this point of time I cannot remember anything about her and nothing of her origins altho by the time she got to the Maritime Museum I think she was second hand at least..must have been memorable in all respects eh??. I remember the Rig Seismic as well, used to do a lot of comms with her...however back to the Cape Grafton and the second topic..after the livestock issue!!......my memory tells me there were two or three lighthouse tenders through the 70's and early eighties but I cant remember the names..will have a look thru some old stuff and try and come up with the names, at least if I still have the right old stuff..need a bigger house and more walls to keep all of the memorabilia!!.

Jan Hendrik
12th March 2005, 06:33
Correct. Built 1952, delivered 1953 by Ferguson Glasgow.
length 208 ft , beam 39 ft , draft 14 ft , GRT 1400, 13.8 knots.
Alongside Beauty Point North Launceston as a training vessel for Launceston Maritime College.
She goes out to sea at regular times.
Hereby some photos which I took during her docking at Launceston Shiplift March 1993. Saw her at sea in Tassie waters last year .
Jan

flyer682
12th March 2005, 23:57
The WYUNA is listed in my Lloyds Register of 1972-73 as being a Pilot Tender and owned by the Port Phillip Sea Pilots. (Which is Melbourne for those amongst us who are far away and don't have a clue where Port Phillip is)
Built 1953 by Ferguson Brothers at Port Glasgow and is of 1,304grt on dimensions of 208' 7" x 39' 1" x 15' 0". Quite a substantial ship for a Pilot tender. Attached are two photos I took in 1996 - not the best I'm afraid as it was impossible to get close to the WYUNA for a decent photo.

Jan Hendrik
13th March 2005, 02:46
An excellent site is: http://www.researchvessels.org/qryshipinfo.asp

Here you have an overview of all current research vessels around Australia.
Cape Pillar is listed here but I think she was sold for scrap.

Cape Moreton - what happened ???

Cape Don - there is a society in Sydney who wants to restore this old rust bucket:www.mvcapedonsociety.org.au

Iknew the ships as they were always moored in Brisbane, they were built beginning 60's.

flyer682
13th March 2005, 02:55
Another ship in the AMC fleet is the former collier STEPHEN BROWN. Owned by J. & A. Brown And Abermain Seaham Colleries Ltd., she was engaged in the trade between Newcastle and Sydney carrying coal from the time of her build until her retirement. (Anyone know when?)
Particulars:
Built 1954 by Hall, Russell & Co., Aberdeen. 1,464grt. 253' 6" x 40' 2" x 14' 6".

Photos taken by me show her at her berth at the AMC College, Beauty Point in 1996.

Doug H
13th March 2005, 08:58
On my many trips in and out of Melbourne in the fifties, the Wyuna was the pilot vessel we frequently met up with. I have a photo taken in 1956 which I'll scan next week and post - only forty years before yours David! Doug H.

Jan Hendrik
13th March 2005, 09:51
Another ship in the AMC fleet is the former collier STEPHEN BROWN. Owned by J. & A. Brown And Abermain Seaham Colleries Ltd., she was engaged in the trade between Newcastle and Sydney carrying coal from the time of her build until her retirement. (Anyone know when?)
Particulars:
Built 1954 by Hall, Russell & Co., Aberdeen. 1,464grt. 253' 6" x 40' 2" x 14' 6".

Photos taken by me show her at her berth at the AMC College, Beauty Point in 1996.
David, same thing in mind, here is my picture of same, taken April 2004.

flyer682
13th March 2005, 10:10
I shall look forward to seeing it! Thanks Doug.

Jan Hendrik
13th March 2005, 10:50
On my many trips in and out of Melbourne in the fifties, the Wyuna was the pilot vessel we frequently met up with. I have a photo taken in 1956 which I'll scan next week and post - only forty years before yours David! Doug H.
Showing your age now Doug H. ..........mmmmm.(don't worry, we are all in the same boat).
did you see my beautiful photos taken during one of the drydockings??

I think they must have sandblasted and painted the exterior hull many times over during the years in service, wonder if any steel is left.....

flyer682
13th March 2005, 10:56
Jan, the hull is only kept in one piece by all those coats of antifouling!!

Jan Hendrik
13th March 2005, 11:34
Now , here is arguably the most beautiful and very original painting of the WYUNA.
Painted in 1977 when the vessel had her original orange topside by Ragnar Ramsjadius (sounds Swedish) of Melbourne, and no I am not telling you where I live.
Picture taken tonight and you all must agree: Beaueaueaueautiful.

I took a photo of the vessel when she was sailing in Tasmanian waters last year April, cannot find it now, so keep looking.
I have many more photos which I took during some drydockings if you are interested.

And....oh yea.... the painting is not for sale.

"The "Wyuna" uses proper coats of Antifouling"

Fairfield
13th March 2005, 20:51
Bill Court pic of her out of the water.I always think she bore a remarkable resemblance to HMY BRITANNIA.

Doug Rogers
13th March 2005, 23:57
Now , here is arguably the most beautiful and very original painting of the WYUNA.
Painted in 1977 when the vessel had her original orange topside by Ragnar Ramsjadius (sounds Swedish) of Melbourne, and no I am not telling you where I live.
Picture taken tonight and you all must agree: Beaueaueaueautiful.

I took a photo of the vessel when she was sailing in Tasmanian waters last year April, cannot find it now, so keep looking.
I have many more photos which I took during some drydockings if you are interested.

And....oh yea.... the painting is not for sale.

"The "Wyuna" uses proper coats of Antifouling"

So does this mean the picture has anti fouling as well??..no no only joking!!.
I wonder how often she puts to sea these days??, the last I heard of the Maritime College was that it had scaled a lot of its courses and activities back??

Jan Hendrik
14th March 2005, 00:02
You find much better photos under "Shipments of livestock" , here you scroll down and find the pics on this vessel. We sort of got off the subject on livestock here, perhaps you can restore it and transfer all pics and stories about Cape Grafton and Wyuna to this particular site??

Hereby some bonus photos of this ship, I got another hundred having attended I think 3 drydockings in Launceston with this ship (or my colleagues at the time).

Also somebody mentioned the Aurora Australis.
I have seen this ship built at Carrington Slipways Newcastle and have attended subsequent drydockings.
Could make a special site on her as I have about 1000 photos of the construction, delivery and dockings of this ship with ice class plating.

"you must use Antifouling, otherwise you lose speed and increase fuel usage"

Doug H
14th March 2005, 00:26
Jan H: The link you gave to researchvessels doesn't seem to work. Doug H

Jan Hendrik
14th March 2005, 01:27
Jan H: The link you gave to researchvessels doesn't seem to work. Doug H
Yes odd, I had it the first time.
Go to www.researchvessels.org
here you can choose.

Further the CAPE GRAFTON has been renamed into SOUTHERN SUPPORTER some 2 years ago (forgot to mention) and also they have the SOUTHERN SURVEYOR which is a converted trawler, both vessels are working for the CSRIO of Australia, and also they had the Franklin , the latter I attended dockings too, but have no photos here. Have to find out.
Don't know what happened to the FRANKLIN as she must be pretty old by now. Was always painted light blue, later dark blue in line with the other ships.
Hereby some pics (not mine) of these two vessels, the SUPPORTER is still painted orange but that may have already changed to blue, otherwise it will be done next docking.

Doug H
14th March 2005, 02:22
Jan H: In the relatively short time that you have been a Member of this site (one month), you have, in my opinion, made a significant contribution based on a career around so mahy ships. I'm sure ther are others besides me who are really pleased that you took so many photos and that you are so willing to share them with us. - Thanks, Doug H

Jan Hendrik
14th March 2005, 03:25
Jan H: In the relatively short time that you have been a Member of this site (one month), you have, in my opinion, made a significant contribution based on a career around so mahy ships. I'm sure ther are others besides me who are really pleased that you took so many photos and that you are so willing to share them with us. - Thanks, Doug H
Thanks for your nice words Doug, this site is all about sharing info between people who have an interest in shipping and like yourself so many of us has some sort of relationship with the maritime business which is an exciting industry.
Also like yourself I live in Melbourne (Ivanhoe) since 1979 but had a career of 39 yrs with same company in 3 countries and was a ship's agent in Rotterdam from the very start, so boarded hundreds or thousands of vessels during my working career, however, never sailed.

I still have heaps of material I could share, will do in due course and as questions arise.

Only one point I like to make on this site.
If we do not pay proper attention then we may go the same path as Groninger Kustvaart (see that site) i.e. threads become a mess and the info is all over the place.
I suggest our moderators are putting things back in order and they may decide that new threads could only start with them after a request as for the moment anyone who wants to start a thread of some kind, can do so.

There is a lot of overlapping info which can be avoided. We have a thread called "special purpose vessels incl cable laying vsl, research etc." and now the info on research vessels has gone in totally different direction (partly myself to blame).

There is a thread about "Modern Cruise Ships", "Historic Lines and Ships" and "The Great Ocean Liners" and I noticed that it has become a mix up of postings.
Best is that e.g. "The Great Ocean Liners until 1985's "(or something of that nature) Then "Modern Cruise ships as from 1985."

Then Ferries, when is a ferry a ferry , do these include Ro/Ro's?? (guess when they take people YES, if they do not take people NO (?), small ferries (taking 20 people) /large ferries(taking 1000 people), so perhaps an idea to sort it out before we get the system running out of hand.

This is just a friendly observation by the way as the site is very well set up and a lot of time was spent by the moderators and administrators.
Thanks
Jan

flyer682
14th March 2005, 06:21
I've had the pleasure of meeting Jan in person prior to last Christmas and he's an extremely nice chap as well as being very knowledgable!
Keep up the good work Jan. :)

Doug Rogers
14th March 2005, 09:08
You find much better photos under "Shipments of livestock" , here you scroll down and find the pics on this vessel. We sort of got off the subject on livestock here, perhaps you can restore it and transfer all pics and stories about Cape Grafton and Wyuna to this particular site??

Hereby some bonus photos of this ship, I got another hundred having attended I think 3 drydockings in Launceston with this ship (or my colleagues at the time).

Also somebody mentioned the Aurora Australis.
I have seen this ship built at Carrington Slipways Newcastle and have attended subsequent drydockings.
Could make a special site on her as I have about 1000 photos of the construction, delivery and dockings of this ship with ice class plating.

"you must use Antifouling, otherwise you lose speed and increase fuel usage"

I did post something on this subject earlier this afternoon but the system seems to have swallowed it. In terms of posting stuff on the Aurora Australis I think the best forum would be "Special Purpose Vessels". Do we really want to create another category for Icebreakers..fascinating as they are.

I am also in total agreement with Doug H's comments regarding Jan H and his postings, great effort indeed in such a short time since joining. I am course totally envious of his collection!! and just wish that I had kept so many more of my pictures..but that is life. Well done Jan.....Doug R or Other Doug

Doug H
18th March 2005, 09:00
As promised last week, I've now scanned my little old photo of the WYUNA pilot vessel outside Port Phillip Heads in 1956. Hope you like it David (Flyer). I would have taken this from the ssROMANIC. Doug H (the other,other Doug)

flyer682
18th March 2005, 10:27
Thanks Doug, a great photo of a very trim-looking ship. They don't build them like that anymore (sadly).

trotterdotpom
9th June 2005, 07:32
I can remember picking up pilots from Wyuna in the early '70s, not sure how long she lasted in that role (or should I say roll?).

After being acquired by the Australian Maritime College, Launceston, in the early '80s, she did a trip each year manned by cadets and there are many hilarious tales of their exploits. Some of the cadets escapades resulted in a drastic curtailment of the voyages. Boys will be boys!

In the mid-'80s, Amalgamated Wireless of Australia (Aussie Marconi equivalent) sponsored the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race for a couple of years and Wyuna acted as a support and communications coordination vessel. She was provided with about half a dozen AWA R/Os (they must have found some "normal" ones), including Heather, the one and only female R/O on Aussie ships. I could have gone too if I'd worn my high heels!

John T.

Oz.
13th October 2005, 05:10
Three lighthose tenders here in Australia were Cape Don, Cape Pillar and Cape Morten.
All built at Carrington Slipways at Newcastle ,NSW. They were lovely ships, well built and well found. I sailed on Cape Pillar which did the southern lights, South of Tasmania, (Maatsuyker Island) and north to Gabo and west as far as Thevenard. As the lights became automatic, Cape pillar was used as a survey ship along the Barrier Reef, Torres strait and the North West Shelf. Cape Moreton and Don were still used as lighthouse supply ships. Cape Pillar was last used to transport water buffalo from Darwin to Indonesia I believe. Both Pillar and Moreton are now scrapped, and Don is being re born in Sydney. Wyuna has been fairly well documented above, but when it arrived in Australia, it was laid up at Gellibrand Pier, Williamstown for a number of years, I dont know why. She was also a smart looking ship. I had great fun as a kid playing on the beautiful ship as it waited its start as a pilot cutter. Owned by the Port Phillip Sea Pilots Service, at the time, based in Williamstown. I believe it is now being used as an accomodation ship for rig workers in Bass Strait, but thats just hearsay. The Cape boats were all 5 cylinder Polars with Mirlees gen's. Lovely and very happy ships to work on.

Jan Hendrik
13th October 2005, 07:32
Robin, some reference is made to the Cape Don and Cape Pillar in the Gallery. -In the gallery type Zebu Express and on second page of this vessel you find the story about these ships which confirms what you already said.
I remember the ships well, as they were stationed in Brisbane, topsides painted white, but they could not keep up the white as rust kept bleeding through.

Also I posted a photo of the Cape Don.
Go to main page - special purpose vessels - Cape Grafton....

R651400
13th October 2005, 08:59
Big thread on "Wyuna/VKVS" kicked off by Robbo in December 2004.
Anyone visitng Port Melbourne, Geelong etc in the 50/60's, especially R/O's, cannot forget communicating with this beautiful looking pilot boat.

Jan Hendrik
30th December 2005, 05:10
Finally found the two photos I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hereby the vessel off the coast of Tasmania, pictures taken March 2004, zoomed in, thus a bit hazy.

Jan

lensoveta
30th December 2005, 08:40
"Wyuna" Nice to hear stories and see photos of her. As I have over the years sailed past her whilst entering and departing Port Phillip heads and have never taken a photo of her. As Fairfield said, she reminded him of the Royal Yacht "BRITANNIA" it did that for me too. I believe she is up for sale as the Martime College has no further use for her for some reason, maybe someone out there may know more news of her and her whereabouts, maybe she is still lying at Beauty Point waiting for a buyer, let's hope she doesn't go to the breakers torches. "lensoveta" (Kevin Harrison)

KPC
1st January 2006, 23:55
Recent photo of Cape Don posted today. Article in current AFLOAT mag tells of current situation. Briefly....Built Newcastle & launched 1963 for service of Lighthouses Western Australia and Registered Fremantle.Has 51 Cabins.1980's Lighthouses automated and ship sold.Renamed Western Express and sailed Pacific as Pax/Cargo.Was arrested several times. 1999 used in film "Dog Watch" (I have seen this epic and it is a "dog") Then sold and was to be refurbished as a boutique Medi Cruse Ship which did not eventuate. Arrived coal Loader 1999/2000 and was eventually repossessed by NSW Maritme and put up for sale.In 2003 ex crew member Frank Allis spotted her rusting away and set about trying to raise cash. Came to attention of Canberra barrister and Ship lover Derek Emerson -Elliott who stumped up the dosh and then donated ship to the Sea Heritage Foundation. Foundation put Ship in hands of Cape Don Society a Volunteer Group who are now restoring to operational status. LOA 74.25 and Beam 13m. Gross tonnage 2140 tonnes and displaces 1590. Hold capacity 281 tonnes , Fuel 134 and Water 258 tonnes. Service speed at 230 rpm 12.7 kn.Crew 39 and 12 pax.
See www.capedonsociety.org.au
KPC

tonygoldcoast
21st December 2006, 03:10
Hi Jan and Bob,

we are doing some more research on the Wyuna to post onto our website - does anyone have any real interesting photographs of the vessel. ???

We are marketting the vessel with the view of restoring her to a Luxury Yacht so she can once again go back to sea. we have some information posted on www.classicsuperyachts.com so if you have any info at all
(Especially on who designed her) it would be helpful

All the best

Tony

roymuir
21st December 2006, 03:59
In reply to Fairfields comment about WYUNA & BRITANNIA looking alike, I was told somewhere along the line that the two were built side by side and had the same hull. Maybe someone can shed a bit more light.
Regards, Roy.