Where are they now?

Iain Lourie
13th March 2005, 12:25
Am trying to find out what happened to, and if there are any photos of the following ships (Denholm Ship Management - Glasgow):

Muirfield - OBO
Gallic Bridge - Bulk Carrier
Naess Texas - Liquified Sulphur Tanker
Naess Sovereign - Oil Tanker
Burmah Gem - Oil Tanker

tanker
13th March 2005, 15:03
NAESS TEXAS built in 1964 with her sister NAESS LOUISIANA and scrapped in 1985 as NORDIC TEXAS . Were are they now -1 ,now 4!!!!.I think to have
a pic of NAESS LOUISIANA. i' ll see.....

tanker
13th March 2005, 15:26
GALLIC BRIDGE built Lithgows in 1967 with her sister WESTMINSTER BRIDGE
and scrapped end 80s.i think as the Indian SATYA KAILASH.
were are they now -2 now three.......

tanker
13th March 2005, 15:37
MUIRFIELD Swedish built as TIBETAN with her sister TURCOMAN ,i think scrapped beginning 90s.as SALVIA.
were are they now -3 now 2....

tanker
13th March 2005, 15:50
NAESS SOVEREIGN bilt in1961 by Mitsubuishi with her sister NAESS CHAMPION
she was scrapped end 70s , i don't remember the name but i hope you 'll
forgive me!!! I am sure to have a pic of her i'll see and i put it in the site.
were are they now -4 no 1......

tanker
13th March 2005, 17:04
After my poker of ships ,for BURMAH GEM i don't remeber ,i remember the 2 sisters BURMAH PEARL and PERIDOT renamed NOTOS an SKYRON Mitsui built
1973!!!!!!.

Iain Lourie
14th March 2005, 06:22
After my poker of ships ,for BURMAH GEM i don't remeber ,i remember the 2 sisters BURMAH PEARL and PERIDOT renamed NOTOS an SKYRON Mitsui built
1973!!!!!!.

The BG was ex Norwegian, can't remember her original name/company tho'. She was taken over by Denholms for Burmah in 1973/4.

Iain Lourie
14th March 2005, 06:27
MUIRFIELD Swedish built as TIBETAN with her sister TURCOMAN ,i think scrapped beginning 90s.as SALVIA.

Any pics? She was quite distinctive as she had no bridge wings as such, accom straight up, but set back from gunnel.
11 Holds if I recall. Was chartered to Sankyo? for sometime too. Funnel marking then was black + white band with centre red dot and two circles.

Iain Lourie
14th March 2005, 08:31

Her Official No. 357496
GRT 82984
NRT59262

Fairfield
15th March 2005, 21:16
Some pix of MUIRFIELD when she was at the Firth of Clyde Drydock between June and August 1975.
She was an old Wilelmsen ship hence the grim orange hull and pale green upperworks-whatever happened to black hull and white line?
Was lucky enough to get on board with our local WSS Branch.

Fairfield
15th March 2005, 21:19
Another set of shots showing her weather deck and the blue hull she gained after drydocking.

Iain Lourie
16th March 2005, 04:07
Some pix of MUIRFIELD when she was at the Firth of Clyde Drydock between June and August 1975.
She was an old Wilelmsen ship hence the grim orange hull and pale green upperworks-whatever happened to black hull and white line?
Was lucky enough to get on board with our local WSS Branch.

Yup, tha's her all right. Cheers for the pics. Appreciated :)

Gulpers
25th September 2005, 08:15
Just found this discussion. The content and pictures reminded me of an anecdote which I thought I should share.

1975 - I was on board Nordic Crusader which was in the Great Harbour, Greenock, when Muirfield arrived. We arrived on the Clyde from Europort, spent three days anchored off Cove Point whilst we tank cleaned, then went alongside the Great Harbour tank farm to discharge our slop tanks. Once that was completed, we ‘shifted ship’ across the Great Harbour and lay port side to, whilst having a boiler replaced in preparation for lay up in Loch Striven.

There was great curiosity on board when we discovered that another Denholm's ship, Muirfield, was due in Scott Lithgows - although none of our crowd had sailed on the vessel, we knew that she had a 'reputation'.

When Muirfield arrived with her wonderful colour scheme, the first impressions were that she looked like a mammoth Glasgow Corporation Bus (Orange and Green). On closer inspection, she looked more like a tiger due to the black streaks down her hull - she had obviously had a spill at some time!

She initially went alongside the tank farm to discharge over 3,000 tons of oil which had inexplicably found its way into her duct keel - don't ask!

Once she moved into the dry-dock, I recall one evening when we noticed a great commotion on Muirfield. Several of our personnel went to investigate and were told that a mysterious alarm was sounding in the engine room. Fearing that the vessel was about to explode, the Scott Lithgow workers were fleeing from her like rats deserting a sinking ship - it would be cynical to say that they had sensed an opportunity for an early "knock off!" Anyway, next thing Strathclyde Fire Brigade arrived in force, only to be met by some of our engineers who had already been down below on Muirfield and cancelled the offending "high bilge alarm!"

She wasn't a terribly fortunate ship since she had also managed to rip a gash in her bottom when she had been unavoidably attracted to an uncharted sea mount in the South Atlantic.

Oh happy days!

Iain Lourie
26th September 2005, 22:51
"She wasn't a terribly fortunate ship since she had also managed to rip a gash in her bottom when she had been unavoidably attracted to an uncharted sea mount in the South Atlantic."

I recount this from over 30 years ago......... so detail might be a wee bit out.
I was an apprentice on her when this happened (unless it happened more than once), but it was South Indian Ocean, about 36 miles south of the Coco Keelings (sp?) on a great circle sailing from, if I recall (mid-late 1973) Vittoria, Brazil with a load of ore for Japan - Kobe(?)..

There was a teriffic rumbling throughout the ship..... **** what was that!!
She took on a bit of a list so pumps and I sounded all the tanks. No 9 (or was it 11?, anyway the last one) starboard ballast tank was taking water. Pumping was useless, just kept refilling.

Onto Japan, but had to go some other place (can't recall ports name) as the draft was too deep due to the hole on the hull.

Jap divers inspected the hull. There was a stripe becoming a gouge from for'd to aft, holing tank 9. The Muirfield must have been lifted by swell or waves about the same time as the tank was holed as the engine room tanks were not damaged (luckily). Japs reckoned it may have been a submarine, but others said sea mountain, another thought a semi-bouyant submerged container. We sailed to Singapore for drydock. Had a lovely week there and I got the third mates job :) Old man at the time was Jack Chinnery (ex Dagliesh's - geordie outfit).

ruud
26th September 2005, 23:44
Ahoy,

The NAESS SOVEREIGN,she was broken up as BURMAH ZIRCON in 1977 at Barcelona.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5346/naesssovereignbrokenup1977barc.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=naesssovereignbrokenup1977barc.jpg)

Iain Lourie
27th September 2005, 09:45
"The NAESS SOVEREIGN,she was broken up as BURMAH ZIRCON in 1977 at Barcelona"

Cheers mate.. Luv the photo. Shame to hear of this ship being broken up. I enjoyed my time as an apprentice aboard her along with another apprentice Davie Wedderburn (from Berwick).

Nostalgia right enough...............

Gulpers
27th September 2005, 13:59
Thanks for the update Ian. I wasn't implying that she ended up in Scott Lithgows as a result of the Sea Mount incident - I just recalled reading about her encounter in a copy of Denholms News sometime in the 70s.

Like you, memory fades with time however, wasn't there a lump of rock removed from the damaged tank during repair? I don't know if I read this or it's possibly a tale that has been embellished in the re-telling. I never sailed with Captain Chinnery during my time with Denholms.

Dave Edge
28th September 2005, 02:17
The comment that the "Muirfield" 'wasn't a particularly fortunate ship' is very true. Sold in 1978 she was renamed "Atlantic Splendour" and in 1980 was sold to Korea Line Corporation of South Korea and renamed "Salvia". On 9 February 1991 she suffered a hull fracture while loaded with iron ore, was abandoned the following day and sank in 24.15N 154.33E.

airds
28th September 2005, 04:39
The comment that the "Muirfield" 'wasn't a particularly fortunate ship' is very true.

I'm sure there was a picture of her with a KNOT in her anchor chain in a Denholm News .... - still hunting for them Gulpers, still hunting :-)
I maybe gone a longtime .....

Gulpers
28th September 2005, 06:35
Airds,

You know, that rings a bell too! When it was time to join your next ship, Helen Barr from Personnel used to phone and, as soon as she mentioned Muirfield, all sorts of excuses would emerge as to why you wouldn't be available to travel on that particular day!

Best wishes,

Gulpers

Gulpers
28th September 2005, 06:43
Dave Edge,

Thanks for the update Dave. Whilst it is always disturbing to hear of a vessel's loss, sadly there was almost an inevitability that Muirfield would come to a sticky end! I hope no lives were lost when she sank.

Best wishes,

Gulpers

Gulpers
28th September 2005, 10:30
"Japs reckoned it may have been a submarine, but others said sea mountain, another thought a semi-bouyant submerged container. .

Iain,

Just found reference to Muirfield's Sea Mount encounter in an article from Ocean Navigator Online.

"In 1973 MV Muirfield suffered extensive damage to its keel when it struck bottom in an area of the Indian Ocean charted at 5,000 feet. A subsequent survey revealed an uncharted seamount 1.5 miles wide".

Best wishes,

Gulpers

Iain Lourie
28th September 2005, 23:38
The comment that the "Muirfield" 'wasn't a particularly fortunate ship' is very true. Sold in 1978 she was renamed "Atlantic Splendour" and in 1980 was sold to Korea Line Corporation of South Korea and renamed "Salvia". On 9 February 1991 she suffered a hull fracture while loaded with iron ore, was abandoned the following day and sank in 24.15N 154.33E.

That is interesting cause I recall some cracks showing on the main deck from the corner of a couple of the forward holds being repaired. Still it is sad to see her demise....... Wilhelmsens (sp?) must have built a cheapie :)

Iain Lourie
28th September 2005, 23:50
"Link to site is - http://www.oceannavigator.com/article.php?a=9323"

Can't find the article.... could you email it or post. whatever.... appreciated.

Cheers

ruud
29th September 2005, 00:07
Ahoy Iain,

Here the article:
"

You can bet the nuclear submarine USS San Francisco had a full range of electronic charts and plenty of watchstanders on duty when it slammed into a Pacific seamount in January. This was not a navigational error in the traditional sense of not knowing where a boat is or believing it is somewhere it isn’t. I’m sure the officers knew exactly where they were and were probably quite relaxed running at 500 feet in waters charted at 6,000 feet. It was their rotten luck the surveyors had missed an underwater mountain! Image Credit: Courtesy C-Map
http://www.oceannavigator.com/navweb/fs/images/ON146_42a.jpg This is not the first time something like this has happened. In 1973 MV Muirfield suffered extensive damage to its keel when it struck bottom in an area of the Indian Ocean charted at 5,000 feet. A subsequent survey revealed an uncharted seamount 1.5 miles wide. Closer to home, in 1992 RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 hit an uncharted rock off Block Island. "

Gulpers
29th September 2005, 10:23
Thanks Ruud

Gulpers
29th September 2005, 10:37
Guys,

Steve has set up a new forum titled J & J Denholm. I've asked if he could possibly tranfer this thread to the new location after a couple of days.

Iain Lourie
17th January 2006, 04:36
I found more info about her and have posted it with in the gallery where I also found a photo of her at anchor off Bataan - rather than repost here is the link to David Hopcroft's photo:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4409

Ian Harrod
17th January 2006, 06:34
The Muirfield Seamount continues to cause problems! See the following:

The Goodwill may be salvaged

On 31 July 1997, the Goodwill (Panamanian-registry 75,277-gt, 149,401-dwt
bulk carrier built in 1992, operated by Keoyang Shipping Co. Ltd.) ran
aground on a reef near the Muirfield Seamount, 110 kilometers/69 miles
southwest of Australia's Cocos Islands. Loaded with 145,000 tons of iron
ore, 1,130 tons of heavy fuel and 107 tons of diesel fuel, it was
reportedly sailing from Dampier, Australia, to Dunkirk, France. After the
ship began flooding, the 21 crewmembers (11 Indonesian citizens and 10
South Korean citizens) abandoned it and were rescued early the next day by
a British-registry vessel, which sailed to Perth, Australia. The same day,
the Goodwill began drifting and was boarded by a salvage team from
Singapore, which thinks it may be able to save the ship. The Goodwill was
last reported drifting north-northwest at about 1.25 knots, 120
kilometers/75 miles west of the Cocos Islands.

George L Murray
29th January 2006, 10:34
I am looking for help in tracing anyone who served on board the Muirfield in November 1975. My late brother, Alexander Donald Murray, was lost whilst on that vessel on 9th November 1975. I can be contacted at george@******
Thankyou
George L Murray

ruud
29th January 2006, 12:25
I am looking for help in tracing anyone who served on board the Muirfield in November 1975. My late brother, Alexander Donald Murray, was lost whilst on that vessel on 9th November 1975. I can be contacted at george@******
Thankyou
George L Murray
Ahoy George,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland

Btw;Once again, I have edited out an email address posted on an Open Forum. This is not a good idea as, although with the best of intentions, it may result in some unwelcome mail arriving in your Inbox, and that's what you're not waiting for, isn't it?
If any Members wish to reply to George, you can do so via a PM[Private Message]

R58484956
29th January 2006, 12:52
Welcome George to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

Doug Shaw
30th January 2006, 04:46
I'm sure there was a picture of her with a KNOT in her anchor chain in a Denholm News .... - still hunting for them Gulpers, still hunting :-)
I maybe gone a longtime .....Boy, I was hoping folks would have forgotten the knot. It happened while the vessel was in Wales (Port Talbot) in August 78 before she sailed to Lisbon for drydocking and hand-over to the Chinese. To the embarrassment of some and the amusement of others, it made the TV news. The knot was eventually removed by lowering it onto the deck of a tug, cutting the chain above it and below it, and then rejoining the chain.

Doug S

ruud
1st June 2006, 13:38
Am trying to find out what happened to, and if there are any photos of the following ships (Denholm Ship Management - Glasgow):

Muirfield - OBO
Gallic Bridge - Bulk Carrier
Naess Texas - Liquified Sulphur Tanker
Naess Sovereign - Oil Tanker
Burmah Gem - Oil Tanker
Ahoy Iain,
Just was scanning some "old" piccies taken somewhere in the end of the 70s early 80's in the Rotterdam area, and found your Texas, as also the Louisiana.

Iain Lourie
1st June 2006, 13:47
Ruud, you are a scholar and a gentleman sir! :)

Thanx for pic's

Ray F Wickman
14th June 2006, 14:37
The Burma Gem was originally the Mosli owned by Mosvold a large Norwegian outfit.

I took over the vessel from the Norwegians sailing with them for about 1 month prior to the hand over in Copenhagen

The engine room was in terrible condition and we had our first fire in the English channel on passage from Copenhagen to North Africa to load for Trinidad.

I disembarked from the vessel in Capetown and resigned from Denholmes after a six month period of duty.

The vessel was subsequently sold and suffered a rocket attack and fire, during the IRAN/IRAQ war. In my capacity as a surveyor I interviewed the crew and believe the vessel was declared a CTL.

R58484956
14th June 2006, 15:27
Welcome Ray from the south of England enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

Iain Lourie
14th June 2006, 22:32
[QUOTE=ray_wickman]The Burma Gem was originally the Mosli owned by Mosvold a large Norwegian outfit.
I took over the vessel from the Norwegians sailing with them for about 1 month prior to the hand over in Copenhagen
The engine room was in terrible condition and we had our first fire in the English channel on passage from Copenhagen to North Africa to load for Trinidad.
I disembarked from the vessel in Capetown and resigned from Denholmes after a six month period of duty. QUOTE]

Hi Ray (*)) ,

Thanx for the info about her. I couldn't remember her flipping name. Yes she was a disaster waiting to happen. Many fires, general and safety equipment failures.

Do you know of any photos of her? Any reports or write-ups about her anywhere? What was her name when destroyed?

Cheers

Iain

willall
17th June 2006, 23:40
I'll send that picture

Iain Lourie
17th June 2006, 23:58
Cheers :) Appreciated

Hillview
18th June 2006, 20:58
Muirfield was a poorly maintained vessel,with many problems i.e. Inert gas system u.s. generators pistons, etc, steam/steam generator leaks, a Fairbanks Morse locomotive engine was fitted in Singapore to get to Finnart for discharge as ship`s generators could not cope with load.Emergency generator was wired up to the galley with no doors capable of being shut due to the temporary cables from Fairbanks engine which was on boat deck to the main switchboard. The Fairbanks engine developed problems also.
I declined the offer of Chief Engineer.
Muirfield was in the Clyde for approx three months.

roymuir
18th June 2006, 23:27
Naess Sovereign

Iain Lourie
19th June 2006, 04:35
Cheers Roy.

Fairfield
21st June 2006, 09:07
Not the best of shots but showing her fitting out at Port Glasgow.

Iain Lourie
21st June 2006, 11:25
Cheers mate for Gallic Bridge pic :)

ruud
21st June 2006, 12:10
Cheers mate for Gallic Bridge pic :)
Ahoy Iain,
Here a better scan of her:

Iain Lourie
21st June 2006, 12:13
Ahoy Iain,
Here a better scan of her:

Excellent.... Thanx :)

Fairfield
21st June 2006, 13:13
No bother, sorry it couldn/t be better. The other is excellent.

ruud
21st June 2006, 13:40
No bother, sorry it couldn/t be better. The other is excellent.Ahoy Paul,
It wasn't your piccie that I criticized, I had posted her[mine] in an earlier thread, and that wasn't the best scan,so therefor I posted her here again; but I have brighten yours a bit, so that she will look better(*))

Fairfield
21st June 2006, 13:49
Great, thanks for that-it/s an old Lithgow Magazine shot but not too well reproduced originally which was a surprise as it was an extremely well put together publication.

DCMARINE
17th July 2006, 14:40
Excellent.... Thanx :)
I was 3/O on Gallic Bridge in 1970 and if my memory is correct she was the one I was on when the loader operator up the line fell asleep while we were loading ore in Pepel resulting in No.2 hold being full before someone got up into the bush to wake him. Bunkers had to be transferred to a barge and gangs of natives were employed to transfer ore, using head-pans (basically an aluminium basin) from No.2 to No.9 to alter the trim. We had a full-time job keeping them from sleeping standing up between the hatch covers. You can imagine the difference their work did to change the trim but we eventually got enough water to get over the bar.
Happy days.
Donald Campbell

Iain Lourie
17th July 2006, 19:31
I was 3/O on Gallic Bridge in 1970 .... gangs of natives were employed to transfer ore, using head-pans (basically an aluminium basin) from No.2 to No.9 to alter the trim. .......

I remember the story, always thought it was one of those tall ones at the time :). Sailed on her from March to July 71. She carried the first female apprentice just before I joined. She was treated the same as all apprentices was the company line, but according to pumps she wasn't allowed to spin ballast valves on her own!!! W. McCrea was the old man, scrawny bugger, worked his way up from the deck if I recall. Other apprentice was ???Graeme Queen or McQueen from Oban.
Am trying to remember some of the others. We had two supernumeries work their passage to Aussie, Sean Isles and Dominic ?????, someone was related or had family to do with Clarksons (something like that).
The 3/O may have been Bryce Brown ???? and 4/E Jimmy Fielding from Greenock, we (plus other app??) paid off together in Port Talbot and drove home up the motorway. A Triumph 2.5TC - doing over 100 mph with all our gear too, lost chunks of rubber off the tyres!!!! not once but twice!!! AA/rental company not too happy!!!
Also spent time in drydock on that trip in a place called Innoshima, Japan.
Anyways....... its all a bit vague these days..............

DCMARINE
18th July 2006, 13:08
It certainly was not a "tall one" and must have caused havoc with the Mate's calculations.There were masses of these natives (and each Tribe's Chief) but their efforts would have had little effect on trim - they were probably paid a pittance. Can't remember how long we were there but do not think it was all that long - this was due more to the tide than the amount of ore transferred. A.H. Smart was the Master when I paid off in July '70 but I have a feeling the Master at the time of the incident was relieved off Capetown.
Sailed with Willie McCrae (Buckie) on Severn Bridge in early '74.
Donald Campbell

Angus Murray
18th July 2006, 17:24
Must be you Donald! If you remember, the same happened on the Crinan at Monrovia, with No 3 being overloaded to a height of a few feet above the hatch coamings. Again, shore labour called in. If i remember correctly, both the shore operator and the Second Mate fell asleep!
Regards
Angus

bacardi bob
18th July 2006, 21:54
hello donald.
i sailed on severn bridge with screaming wullie macrae as well,it was around 1975. joined as first tripper in port talbot then did tubarao,brazil then japan,port hedland,then taranto,italy and back to brazil.alan common was chief eng,pete kilvington 1st mate,and trying to remember the rest. bring back the good old days....regerds, bobby wilson, sailed as deck cadet by the way.

DCMARINE
19th July 2006, 12:03
Must be you Donald! If you remember, the same happened on the Crinan at Monrovia, with No 3 being overloaded to a height of a few feet above the hatch coamings. Again, shore labour called in. If i remember correctly, both the shore operator and the Second Mate fell asleep!
Regards
Angus
Remember it well.
In that case it was just levelled off. Dockers in Port Talbot (I think) got a shock when the hold was opened.
Donald

Andy-D
30th July 2006, 03:35
i remember the knot, there was a picture in Denholm News and a comment such that there was no surprise whish ship it had happened to.I was on Seateam obo's and dreaded being told to join Muirfield

Andy-D
30th July 2006, 03:38
Graham Macqueen was training officer on wellpark in 78, left sea a few years after to run family furniture removers, i believe

stanley milne
12th February 2007, 21:15
have some old cine film showing the locals "transhipping" from no.2 to no.9.
Happy days !!

Graham M
20th February 2007, 21:43
have some old cine film showing the locals "transhipping" from no.2 to no.9.
Happy days !!

I can say Iwas there when the transhipping took place!

terval
20th May 2007, 11:27
Reference the knot in the anchor chain wasn't that in the Bristol channel when Malcom John was master on one of the ore carriers?

terval
20th May 2007, 11:27
(Jester) Reference the knot in the anchor chain wasn't that in the Bristol channel when Malcom John was master on one of the ore carriers?

Peter Cheseldine
5th September 2008, 10:30
That is interesting cause I recall some cracks showing on the main deck from the corner of a couple of the forward holds being repaired. Still it is sad to see her demise....... Wilhelmsens (sp?) must have built a cheapie :)
Had the "PLEASURE???" of sailing as Chief Eng.on the Atlantic Splendour for 2 years with C.Y Tung and latterly Furness Withy (taken over by C.Y.Tung).Endless problems main engine-wise and the generators regularly threw con-rods out of their crankcases.Froze up in Seven Islands,towed to Halifax. Following voyage tried to destroy the gas terminal in Middlesborough (pilot error).She finally managed to steal two of my fingers under a cylinder head in the middle of the Indian ocean.

70's Boy
19th March 2009, 15:28
Hi,

I posted a photo of Nordic Texas in the Gallery at Port Arthur a while back.

Cheers

George

JimC
19th March 2009, 18:56
I remember the story, always thought it was one of those tall ones at the time :). Sailed on her from March to July 71. She carried the first female apprentice just before I joined. She was treated the same as all apprentices was the company line, but according to pumps she wasn't allowed to spin ballast valves on her own!!! W. McCrea was the old man, scrawny bugger, worked his way up from the deck if I recall. Other apprentice was ???Graeme Queen or McQueen from Oban.
Am trying to remember some of the others. We had two supernumeries work their passage to Aussie, Sean Isles and Dominic ?????, someone was related or had family to do with Clarksons (something like that).
The 3/O may have been Bryce Brown ???? and 4/E Jimmy Fielding from Greenock, we (plus other app??) paid off together in Port Talbot and drove home up the motorway. A Triumph 2.5TC - doing over 100 mph with all our gear too, lost chunks of rubber off the tyres!!!! not once but twice!!! AA/rental company not too happy!!!
Also spent time in drydock on that trip in a place called Innoshima, Japan.
Anyways....... its all a bit vague these days..............

Hello there!

Actually Willie Mcrae was an AB in the RN before he joined Denholms. He was badly burned in a terrorist attack when he was serving in Palestine some time after WW2. he always was a scrawny lad. If I remember, he had a circular burn scar on one side of his face.
I sailed with him when he was 3rd.Mate on the ore carrier Ormsary. He was invalided ashore from her in the Canary Island in 1953.

As for the Naess Sovereign - I stood by her at Mitsubishi's yard at Nagasaki, did the sea trials and then served on her as 2nd Mate for almost a year thereafter. Never got ashore at all!.
I have a trials picture of her and the Lloyds Shipping News write-up together with pic somewhere. Ill see if I can up-load it.

Iain Lourie
22nd March 2009, 09:55
Cheers for info and pictures :)

ronmac6
22nd March 2009, 23:33
"Actually Willie Mcrae was an AB in the RN before he joined Denholms. He was badly burned in a terrorist attack when he was serving in Palestine some time after WW2. he always was a scrawny lad. If I remember, he had a circular burn scar on one side of his face.
I sailed with him when he was 3rd.Mate on the ore carrier Ormsary. He was invalided ashore from her in the Canary Island in 1953."

Hi JC
I sailed with screaming Willie a few times & didn't know about his fascinating past. I was on the Erskine bridge (77) when he flaked out in the smokeroom one night. I put him over my shoulder & hauled him up 3 decks to his day room. (he didn't seem too scrawny then!!). When I lowered him unto his armchair he casually said, Cheers Ron, get the beers out of the fridge. (he was fed up in the bar with the Engs talking shop) I then had 2 hours of bagpipe music to listen to.
When we were on the GKA traffic list & got a turn number (usually in the 20's) I had to turn up the Vol & we sat in his dayroom drinking until we heard our callsign. He would insist on looking over my shoulder & chatting while I was taking the MSG!!.
Strangely enough the only people he screamed at was the deck dept.

regards
ronmac

nomad21
22nd February 2013, 01:48
anyone remember the "sir andrew duncan"

John Cassels
22nd February 2013, 09:00
anyone remember the "sir andrew duncan"

The drunken Duncan ?.

Erimus
22nd February 2013, 09:07
Remember her well........as with all the other 'Duns'..........she was named after the Scottish Minister of Power I seem to remember........Dunkyle after Denis Kyle the BISC(Ore) Chairman and Duncraig after The Craigs of Ravenscraig i.e Colvilles....Dunadd I think after an Iron Age hill fort.

geoff

Erimus
22nd February 2013, 10:24
Do you know why the Muirfield was called that???

She was apparently the length of a specific hole on the golf course and the hierachy from Muirfield came down to meet the hierachy of British Steel at Gower Street, for 'lunch'..........so that didn't include anyone from my Department!

Our Chief Marine Super was Captain Dan Cameron, Scot, a lovely fellow, and a golfer....and he said privately that he hoped he may get a round out them after the event.

I believe that BSC paid for the whole caboodle and made a presentation of a plaque and a picture of the vessel...............in return they received a photo of Muirfield and no invitation to play there.........

geoff

Varley
22nd February 2013, 11:02
Do you know why the Muirfield was called that???

She was apparently the length of a specific hole on the golf course and the hierachy from Muirfield came down to meet the hierachy of British Steel at Gower Street, for 'lunch'..........so that didn't include anyone from my Department!

Our Chief Marine Super was Captain Dan Cameron, Scot, a lovely fellow, and a golfer....and he said privately that he hoped he may get a round out them after the event.

I believe that BSC paid for the whole caboodle and made a presentation of a plaque and a picture of the vessel...............in return they received a photo of Muirfield and no invitation to play there.........

geoff

Geoff, I have seen a photo of her with the knotted anchor chain - unfortunately it seems not to be in the gallery - I will ask about.

Another chapter in her book was at DD (on the Clyde I think). Quantity of scale in the holds so 'productive' that they cut holes through the bottom to get it out.

Erimus
22nd February 2013, 12:43
Geoff, I have seen a photo of her with the knotted anchor chain - unfortunately it seems not to be in the gallery - I will ask about.

Another chapter in her book was at DD (on the Clyde I think). Quantity of scale in the holds so 'productive' that they cut holes through the bottom to get it out.

I had seen the knotted chain picture, I think on this site somewhere, didn't know about the scale problem though.......but that was after I had left BSC and was plying my trade in the Humber Ports...

cheers

geoff

John Cassels
22nd February 2013, 14:38
Got that photo in one of the Denholm mags , will have to look .

Erimus
22nd February 2013, 21:13
http://www.northeastmaritime.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8851

Nice picture of Muirfield at Redcar Ore Terminal appearing in NE Maritime Forum..

geoff

L888doc
29th March 2014, 11:20
Hi gulpers Many thanks for your help re alex murray death. I had a very emotional discussion his brother george last night. I am still affected by this but both of us are eternally greatful to sn for bringing us together. We will speak regularly and will visit each other but it's still raw after almost 40 years. Therefore my sincere thanks to all fellow sn members who achieved so much in a very short 24 hours. Unbelievable!!!

Many thanks l888doc

Gulpers
29th March 2014, 12:00
Hi gulpers Many thanks for your help re alex murray death. I had a very emotional discussion his brother george last night. I am still affected by this but both of us are eternally greatful to sn for bringing us together. We will speak regularly and will visit each other but it's still raw after almost 40 years. Therefore my sincere thanks to all fellow sn members who achieved so much in a very short 24 hours. Unbelievable!!!

Many thanks l888doc

l888doc,

I am absolutely delighted that after all these years, you have managed to make contact. Hopefully, now that you are in touch with each other, you will be able ease the pain which you are both obviously still feeling.

Kind regards,
Ray

L888doc
1st April 2014, 12:43
Hi sn members has anyone any knowledge of ex denholm skipper Malcolm John from South Wales?

L888doc

randcmackenzie
1st April 2014, 20:48
Last I heard, and it is some time ago, he was engaged in survey and/or Crude Oil Wash surveillance on the Welsh coast.

I knew him from long ago, and relieved him on the Muirfield August 1977 for the trip back to UK from Saldanha Bay.

L888doc
1st April 2014, 22:43
Thanks randcmckenzie I was his bosun on muirfield 1975. A great friend and was very supportive in my time of need. We had lost a shipmate on muirfield. And i lost my father several days before docking at redcar. My name is Jim Docherty near glasgow pass on my regards if you see him. Many thanks l888doc

L888doc
18th April 2014, 17:13
Hi i sailed as bosun with Malcolm John 1975. I have great respect for this skipper one of the finest I sailed with I believe he is working locally I. E. Bristol Channel welsh coast

Kind regards
L888doc

randcmackenzie
18th April 2014, 21:27
Hello Jim.

He was a third mate when I was apprentice, which leads me to think he must be well retired now.

I was only with him for a hand over, but thought he was a fine fellow.

Best Regards.

muldonaich
19th April 2014, 01:08
Malcolm John was one of the best chief officers I ever sailed a great guy to work for Kevin brgds

duncs
19th April 2014, 03:12
Thanks randcmckenzie I was his bosun on muirfield 1975. A great friend and was very supportive in my time of need. We had lost a shipmate on muirfield. And i lost my father several days before docking at redcar. My name is Jim Docherty near glasgow pass on my regards if you see him. Many thanks l888doc

My brother Angus was AB on the Muirfield at the time.

L888doc
21st April 2014, 12:25
Hi dunces. If angus is who I am thinking he is then he came from barra .he was also cousin of the mate. Can you confirm and can you provide his name..

Regards

Jim docherty

duncs
26th April 2014, 03:19
Hi Jim.
Yes, my brother Angus MacNeil was AB there at the time. John(Iain) MacKinnon was the mate. I was at home on leave, myself, when Angus came home. He told me all about it. He took it quite badly, as did Iain. I think Angus new Alex from the fishing boats.
Iain, also known as Dickie, died a few years ago, shortly after retiring. Angus is still working.

regards,
Duncs

L888doc
26th April 2014, 10:47
Thanks duncs. Let me talk about john(as I knew him) iam devastated to learn of his death(must have been young) he was a great guy and good friend. I remember crossing the street paisley when the driver of a car jumped out next thing he was hugging me. It took me a few seconds to realize who it was. Of course it was john who stayed up hawk head rd. my wife and I visited him and family and had good time. I will remember john in my prayers. Please pass on my respects to his wife and family.

L888doc
26th April 2014, 11:05
Hi duncs angus must be near retirement but delighted to hear he is still working. My name is Jim Docherty tel. 01698844455 mobile07931297389 I live in Belshill 10 minutes from glasgow. Please pass this info to angus. What a guy. There is a quote that if were in the trenches who would you want beside you. In my case angus fits the bill. He was a real brick and had the real barra humility. He was a tower of strength and I have never ever forgot him. I have so many questions to ask and would love to here from angus. I have contacted alex brother in stornoway. George police sergeant there and i am planning to meet up.

Thanks

Jim docherty

duncs
28th April 2014, 02:15
Hi Jim.
Angus lives in Oban(I'm in Barra). I phoned his wife, he is offshore, due back next week. I will contact him then, and pass on all your info.

Regards

Duncs

L888doc
28th April 2014, 11:29
Hi duncs Thanks for the info. I look forward to hearing from angus, married? Didn't think he would ever settle down. She's got to be special. Changing subject. How many kids did john McKinnon have? I think when we visited his house paisley they had 2 little girls. I was relaying johns death to my next door neigh bour on way to celtic game yesterday. He originally arm from paisley and was scoutmaster in fact he is still involved there with his mate Gerry green. He thinks he remembers McKinnon girls in scouts and attended st mirrens cathedral.my neighbor is Alan kirkwood. Could be a small world

Kind regards

Jim docherty

L888doc
2nd May 2014, 17:47
Hi Carley aim not sure you are correct about holes being cropped because rust on deck. I was on the muirfield the whole of 1975. When we dry docked greenock June 75 the tank clean company(cairns) wouldn't touch the duct keel as it was awash with crude. This was due to worn seat valves caused by ore getting into the rubber seat rings. I was bosun and suggested how this could be cleaned my idea was readily accepted. By old man & mate. I won't bore you how this was done but we did it. This allowed Japanese riding squad to renew the pipelines in duct keel. To do this they cropped a starboard & port hole in the deck of no. 7 hold. We then supplied them with new pipes they fitted. I wonder is this where holes in deck came from??

Kind regards
Jim docherty

Varley
3rd May 2014, 12:39
I understand (from Dick Swindall) that at one Greenock DD (don't know how many times she could have docked there) the easiest way for them to get the scale from the holds was to cut holes in the bottom.

L888doc
3rd May 2014, 23:59
Hi varley thanks for your reply. I am sure she did dd several times in greenock as I think some of the posts on sn could confirm. The inside of her tanks weren't pretty but what tanker or obo( as this was)is. I couldn't say your friend was wrong but was merely pointing out what definitely happened 1975. You know some stories grow arms and legs in no time. I trust you accept I was only trying to give a true perspective incidentally the dry dock was Scott's of green ok same dd that housed queen Elizabeth. Been a real pleasure speaking to.

Kind regards

Jim Docherty

P. s. What do you do with rust scale when removed(no derricks except no. 7)?pour into duct keel(no chance). Take it out by crane in dd,but then you wouldn't crop out holes in tank bottom?

Gulpers
4th May 2014, 08:13
Jim,

There is a photograph of Muirfield in Scott Lithgows Inchgreen Drydock in 1975 here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/214770/title/muirfield-repainted/cat/510). The Drydock was built on the site of the former Lithgows gas works at Inchgreen.
I was on board Nordic Crusader on the fitting out berth when Muirfield arrived at the tank farm with the mystery crude oil in her duct keel. As you can see from the photograph, this was also when Muirfield was repainted in British Steel colours and lost her more familiar orange hull with everything else green. (Thumb)

Varley
4th May 2014, 10:56
Hi varley thanks for your reply. I am sure she did dd several times in greenock as I think some of the posts on sn could confirm. The inside of her tanks weren't pretty but what tanker or obo( as this was)is. I couldn't say your friend was wrong but was merely pointing out what definitely happened 1975. You know some stories grow arms and legs in no time. I trust you accept I was only trying to give a true perspective incidentally the dry dock was Scott's of green ok same dd that housed queen Elizabeth. Been a real pleasure speaking to.

Kind regards

Jim Docherty

P. s. What do you do with rust scale when removed(no derricks except no. 7)?pour into duct keel(no chance). Take it out by crane in dd,but then you wouldn't crop out holes in tank bottom?

Jim, I should have pointed out that he was then a superintendent. Not sure if he was her super but he repeated the tale often (or whenever the hat was dropped, along with many other tales to keep his team amused on a dull afternoon quite a few about Muirfield - there is a photo somewhere of her with a knot in the anchor chain). As to why would either be done I am sure it would have been a matter of logistics and what the yard quoted or estimated for the task.

Indeed good to chat. David V

L888doc
4th May 2014, 21:38
Hi gulpers thanks for post. I went on leave and rejoined ship in dd I don't know or can't remember how much crude came out of duct keel. I can tell you there was plenty of it as pumpman and I replaced rubberised set rings in all valves major job. After dry doc there was still a real mess as cairns & co wouldn't attempt clean up(that's what we were told). The crew did an excellent job which allowed Japanese riding squad to renew all piping in duct keel. I also noticed someone mentioning generator failure (I had forgot about this ). Turners of glasgow fitted an on deck gennie(Singapore I think) starboard quarter. What a time.

Kind regards

Jim docherty

L888doc
4th May 2014, 21:47
Hi varley See my post to gulpers. Muirfield did cause much discussion. Officers and crew made up for her failings

Kind regards jim docherty

Varley
5th May 2014, 11:20
Hi varley See my post to gulpers. Muirfield did cause much discussion. Officers and crew made up for her failings

Kind regards jim docherty

Jim, funny how ships, memorable for the wrong reasons, got the best people. David V

L888doc
5th May 2014, 14:23
Hi varley you never said e truer word. My 1st trip British energy 11months 1961/1962 and muirfield 12months74/75 stand out from all other trips(maybe odd exceptions). No explanation but maybe felt more appreciated by good man managers?

Kind regards

Jim docherty