Tewkesbury

Geord
9th June 2007, 02:41
hi TONGA,
I sailed on the Tewkesbury from May 68 to feb 69 as a engineer the chief eng was Harry Poulson and Captain Ross. I would appreciate a photo of her if anyone has one.
cheers Jack todd

non descript
9th June 2007, 08:43
Hi Jack,

I do not own a good photograph of Tewkesbury, but I think I can find one to scan - so please give me time and I'll try to oblige.

Regards
Mark

ps I have added it here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66795/cat/510)

Geord
10th June 2007, 06:27
Hi TONGA,
Thanks mate the photo "Tewkesbury" brings back a lot of memories, the time we had xmas at sea early, i can't recall the cause of the problem but we had to open up the main engine two day's out of new york when we did it was like a xmas tree and a snowy night, white metal everywhere we did 3 mains two crosshead and 4 conrod bearings what a job and a half, good old day's !!!

non descript
10th June 2007, 20:23
Jack, I can remember joining Tewkesbury in New York when she was on a charter to Mitsui - we sailed south to Tampa and loaded phosphate and then on through the Panama Canal, stopping off on the West Coast of Mexico to load cotton and carbon black (an odd mix). A tough ship but character building. (Jester)

non descript
14th June 2007, 21:46
Jack,

As the comments were all about Tewkesbury I thought I would split the thread and have your ship with its own thread.

RickB
6th July 2007, 17:40
Hi Chaps,
I was on the old tub Tewkesbury from march '69 to august '69 as a junior engineer.
We did liverpool to the persian gulf then back to s.africa then to europe.
never did get a picture of her. Thanks Tonga, I can now show my family.
Cheers,
Richard

non descript
6th July 2007, 19:02
Hi Richard, a warm welcome to you - enjoy the site, there's lots of quality stuff to enjoy and we look forward to your postings. As you say, Tewkesbury was a good old ship, not quite designed for trips to the Arabian Gulf and really more suited to the gentle voyage to Buenos Aires. (Thumb)

Mel Bowen
14th July 2007, 21:16
Hi Chaps,
I was on the old tub Tewkesbury from march '69 to august '69 as a junior engineer.
We did liverpool to the persian gulf then back to s.africa then to europe.
never did get a picture of her. Thanks Tonga, I can now show my family.
Cheers,
Richard
Rick,
I think I was 3rd mate on the Tewkesbury on the trip Uk to the Persian Gulf, I seem to remember it was a Strict Ellerman charter and spending xmas day alongside in Kuwait. Over the last few days I have posted several pictures of the "Old Tub". Certanly all the staff you mention were there when I was

Mel Bowen
14th July 2007, 21:20
hi TONGA,
I sailed on the Tewkesbury from May 68 to feb 69 as a engineer the chief eng was Harry Poulson and Captain Ross. I would appreciate a photo of her if anyone has one.
cheers Jack todd
Jack,
I have posted several pics of the Tewkesbury over the last couple of days. We must have sailed together I was there a long time as both deck apprentice and 3rd Mate. Have also put a picture up of the 1st mate perhaps you can help out
Mel

Mel Bowen
14th July 2007, 21:28
Jack, I can remember joining Tewkesbury in New York when she was on a charter to Mitsui - we sailed south to Tampa and loaded phosphate and then on through the Panama Canal, stopping off on the West Coast of Mexico to load cotton and carbon black (an odd mix). A tough ship but character building. (Jester)
I left the Tewkesbury at New york on this occasion whilst on that Mitsui charter, we had been away for about 10 months and not returned to the UK I was 3rd mate. Most of the time we were trading between Japan and the West coast of the states and Canada

non descript
14th July 2007, 22:08
I left the Tewkesbury at New york on this occasion whilst on that Mitsui charter, we had been away for about 10 months and not returned to the UK I was 3rd mate. Most of the time we were trading between Japan and the West coast of the states and Canada

Then as you went down the gangway (leaving that bright orange Mitsui funnel behind) I was going up the gangway. (Jester) - She was discharging about 2 million broom handles from Indonesia...

Mel Bowen
14th July 2007, 22:26
Then as you went down the gangway (leaving that bright orange Mitsui funnel behind) I was going up the gangway. (Jester) - She was discharging about 2 million broom handles from Indonesia...
Now that you mention it, I remember it well you are dead right, we had loaded them in Sarawack, Borneo, sailing up a long jungle creek to a small wharf. Well remembered!

Mel Bowen
14th July 2007, 22:30
Now that you mention it, I remember it well you are dead right, we had loaded them in Sarawack, Borneo, sailing up a long jungle creek to a small wharf. Well remembered!
Thinking even harder, the wharf was at a place called Tangon Mani ( not sure about spelling, I also remember flying to Heathrow on the same chartered plane you had come out on, all to ourselves

non descript
14th July 2007, 22:31
Thinking even harder, the wharf was at a place called Tangon Mani ( not sure about spelling, I also remember flying to Heathrow on the same chartered plane you had come out on, all to ourselves

A Boeing 707 (Jester)

The port in Borneo is/was Tanjung Manis 2.09 N 111.21 E

mike barnard
4th October 2007, 10:33
I join the discussion late, but...
Tewkesbury was my first ship as J/E.March 66. What an intro to the sea. Ross & Poulson were resident then. Liverpool - River Plate, traditional Houlder trip. Jackie Scotland was 2nd, very fond memories.

non descript
28th November 2007, 22:29
I join the discussion late, but...
Tewkesbury was my first ship as J/E.March 66. What an intro to the sea. Ross & Poulson were resident then. Liverpool - River Plate, traditional Houlder trip. Jackie Scotland was 2nd, very fond memories.

Mike
She was far better suited to the Liverpool - River Plate run, than the arduous North Pacific route that she had to endure in 1967-68; frankly miserable sea conditions that she was not built to cope with.
(Thumb)
Mark

chadders
24th December 2007, 17:22
I'm joining in a liitle late here. I was apprentice on the Tewkesbury from March '70 until February '71 and had a great time. First trip Kiwi and Aussie, destroyed the thrust block coming out of Townsville with sugar spent a lot of time at Thursday Island doing repairs. The OLd Man was Charlesworth. Back to the uK and then Poland to load coal for Chittagong (then East Pakistan), from there Aussie to load grain for Karachi but were diverted back to Chittagong following the flood of late '70. Grain became famine relief. On to Bombay to laod ore for Ghent and then paid off in London. Old man this time was Vic Owen "replaced" in Oz by Kenny Walker the Super and then Pete Charman turned up all very interesting. Oh happy days

Chadders

non descript
24th December 2007, 19:31
Chadders,
My goodness, if only we had known about these dreadful times you had just endured, when we found you later on as an innocent on board Ocean Transport in 1971, we would have been so hard on you...(Jester)
As you say, happy days.
(Thumb)

Frankieflintstonr
27th November 2008, 10:41
Recently watched the film A Taste of Honey the film was shot in 1961 and set around Salford / Manchester and the docks, in the background was a ship named Tewkesbury is this the ship this forum is talking about?

non descript
27th November 2008, 10:56
Recently watched the film A Taste of Honey the film was shot in 1961 and set around Salford / Manchester and the docks, in the background was a ship named Tewkesbury is this the ship this forum is talking about?

I was not aware that she was the background of the film, but the date would fit (she was built 2 years before, in 1959) and the name was unique. It she looked like this (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66795/cat/510), then it was the one.

Frankieflintstonr
27th November 2008, 11:27
In the film it only showed the bow with the name, a Manchester Liners ship was the main vessel used in the film, the film was set in a Salford that I remember very well, showing the Barton Aqueduct and Road Bridge, quite nostalgic and worth a look if you ever get chance.

I was not aware that she was the background of the film, but the date would fit (she was built 2 years before, in 1959) and the name was unique. It she looked like this (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66795/cat/510), then it was the one.

non descript
27th November 2008, 12:36
In the film it only showed the bow with the name, a Manchester Liners ship was the main vessel used in the film, the film was set in a Salford that I remember very well, showing the Barton Aqueduct and Road Bridge, quite nostalgic and worth a look if you ever get chance.

I see the best comments and stills from the film are here (http://members.cox.net/rjd0309/tush/1961.htm)

willmac
16th December 2008, 23:22
I'm joining in a liitle late here. I was apprentice on the Tewkesbury from March '70 until February '71 and had a great time. First trip Kiwi and Aussie, destroyed the thrust block coming out of Townsville with sugar spent a lot of time at Thursday Island doing repairs. The OLd Man was Charlesworth. Back to the uK and then Poland to load coal for Chittagong (then East Pakistan), from there Aussie to load grain for Karachi but were diverted back to Chittagong following the flood of late '70. Grain became famine relief. On to Bombay to laod ore for Ghent and then paid off in London. Old man this time was Vic Owen "replaced" in Oz by Kenny Walker the Super and then Pete Charman turned up all very interesting. Oh happy days

Chadders

My first trip to sea was aboard the the Tewkesbury as a Catering Boy. Joined at Tilbury on the 18th of August 1970 and signed off on in London on the 12th of February 71(as per my Discharge Book) As i recall Christmas 70 was spent in Bombay and as i was the youngest person aboard i had the privilege of ringing in the New Year on the ships Siren, the Carpenter/Shipwright ringing out the Old Year, this task being supervised by the Deck Cadet presumably Chadders? Whilst we were unloading at Chittagong there was talk of taking cargo to Vietnam but there were a number of complications due to the state of war there at the time and the trip never eventuated, i think mainly due to the fact that crew were only required to undertake this voyage under a voluntary basis and the rumour went round that any one not willing to go to Vietnam would be paid off and be home in time for Christmas not sure if this is correct or not.
I remember the Super coming aboard i think in Geraldton i was banned by Capt Walker from ever lifting a paintbrush on any Houlder vessels as i had attempted to paint my cabin, unfortunately not only did the Deckhead and Bulkhead receive there allotted coat of paint but all the fittings and furnishings, sink, bunk ,wardrobe, etc somehow or other ended up with more than a smidgen of paint, to this day i avoid Paint and Paint brush with a passion.After signing off in London i had two weeks leave then rejoined two weeks later in London. i also sailed on Clydebridge Sept 71 to Mar 72 then Ocean Transport with Capt Fowler and C/O Thompson from May 72 until Aug 73

Willmac

Harry Poulson
8th April 2010, 15:02
Gentlemen, can anyone furnish details as to my uncle(never met) Chief Eng Harry Poulson - good or bad(!), the time he served on the Tewkesbury and other ships?? Voyages? - or can you point me in the right direction? Any photos? As you can guess I know nothing about him and am trying to find the family. I did hear that he contacted my father in Hong Kong in 1963(?). Any reply would be very gratefully received!!

non descript
8th April 2010, 15:50
I remember him as a particularly kind and pleasant man. To be honest I cannot remember which ship it was that we sailed on together, maybe it was the Tewkesbury? (Thumb)

dixie dean
8th April 2010, 19:30
Hello Tonga,Maybe a bit late coming to this thread,it would appear we joined Tewksburyat the same time,from memory we stayed at the times square hotel prior to joining the ship,in New York August 1967. It was a Mitsui charter,I was the carpenter on the ship we all left in May 1988 in Seattle,flying to New York,ages waiting in New York before flying home KLM. regards Dixie Dean.

non descript
8th April 2010, 22:10
Good evening Dixie, you have an excellent memory, with the name of the hotel.. It was a long flight out (Boeing 707 of KLM and we enjoyed the ‘luxury’ of the West London Air Terminal as a starting point). The flight home was even longer and I remember an endless wait in JFK, with me phoning a (marginally unsuitable) blonde in LA…. An interesting ship … (LOL)
Kind regards
Mark

evan.jones
14th April 2010, 19:58
I remember him as a particularly kind and pleasant man. To be honest I cannot remember which ship it was that we sailed on together, maybe it was the Tewkesbury? (Thumb)

is there anybody out there that was on the tewkesbury betweensept 69 and feb 1970 evan junior eng

Harry Poulson
11th August 2010, 19:37

Tonga,http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/icons/icon11.gif
So sorry, just seen your response online. Thank you for your comments. What other ships might he have served on? Have seen the pics of the Tewkesbury on SN and wonder if anyone any pictures of the man? I cannot find any info on him at all the present. Looks like a long haul!! http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/icons/icon9.gif
Thank you again Harry.http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

mike barnard
24th August 2010, 13:43
Gentlemen, can anyone furnish details as to my uncle(never met) Chief Eng Harry Poulson - good or bad(!), the time he served on the Tewkesbury and other ships?? Voyages? - or can you point me in the right direction? Any photos? As you can guess I know nothing about him and am trying to find the family. I did hear that he contacted my father in Hong Kong in 1963(?). Any reply would be very gratefully received!!

I sailed on TEWKESBURY as 1st. trip J/engineer March - July 1966, Liverpool - Plate & return. Harry Poulson was chief, Jacky Scotland disp. 2nd. Mr Poulson was a gentleman. Like most chiefs, he never entered the engine room, except to look around Sunday mornings and to take weekly indicator readings. He did however leave a case of beer in the duty mess after a particularly difficult unit pull at sea on the way home. much appreciated!!, particularly as Mr Ross (captain) was VERY strict on the tap issue, no spirits at sea and two cans PER WEEK!!!

Geord
15th May 2011, 07:32
Hi Evan,
I was on the Tewksbury from May 68 to Feb 69 my name is Jack Todd an engineer who had his 21st birthday at sea on her.

Roger Olney
16th May 2013, 10:09

Chadders

Hi
I cannot find my first discharge book but I did two trips on the Tewksbury first as junior and second as 4th.
Pretty sure together. Bill Blaylock Chief eng.
Did Gdinya or Gdansk coal to Chitagong unloaded by hand into wicker skips and grain from Aussie back to
Chitagong following Typhoon car unloaded by 6 cummins diesel suckers thundering 24 hours a day. Bombay with ore (maybe from Poland) at Christmas and new year in Bombay Harbour, Sparky sent morse by Whistle and all ships copied him memorable. To Kiwi via Panama , Wellington Aukland, Napier, Christchurch. Had a good fiend (2nd Mate) who fell out with and lost touch Jim Gore. Was a brilliant trip.

Regards

chadders
20th May 2013, 17:04
Hi
I cannot find my first discharge book but I did two trips on the Tewksbury first as junior and second as 4th.
Pretty sure together. Bill Blaylock Chief eng.
Did Gdinya or Gdansk coal to Chitagong unloaded by hand into wicker skips and grain from Aussie back to
Chitagong following Typhoon car unloaded by 6 cummins diesel suckers thundering 24 hours a day. Bombay with ore (maybe from Poland) at Christmas and new year in Bombay Harbour, Sparky sent morse by Whistle and all ships copied him memorable. To Kiwi via Panama , Wellington Aukland, Napier, Christchurch. Had a good fiend (2nd Mate) who fell out with and lost touch Jim Gore. Was a brilliant trip.

Regards

Hi Roger, Yes I was the apprentice on your first trip on the Tewkesbury and remember it very well, although must be honest the engineering details of the machinery used to discharge the grain in Chittagong passed me by!! We actually loaded manganese ore in Bombay and discharged it in Ghent before returning to London. Do you remember being followed by customs everytime we went ashore in Geraldton because one of the deckhands was caught with weed. It got to the stage we used to knock on the door of the minibus and ask who was coming for a beer! I was sacked that trip by Peter Charman the Old Man (one of life's gentlemen) he was very apologetic but apparently a Deck Apprentice could not tell a 2nd Engineer to **** off and grow up! The 2nd in question did actually whip the back of my legs in the bar with a bull whip when he was inebriated. Pete recommended I go for Mid Apprenticeship release which I did and then joined the Shaftesbury as 3/0 so not all bad. I was with Pete Charman again when the Coastal Corpus Christi and Coastal Hercules were laid up in Loch Striven, I'd risen to the dizzy heights of mate by then. Cheers
Derek Chadburn

Roger Olney
20th May 2013, 21:08
Hi Roger, Yes I was the apprentice on your first trip on the Tewkesbury and remember it very well, although must be honest the engineering details of the machinery used to discharge the grain in Chittagong passed me by!! We actually loaded manganese ore in Bombay and discharged it in Ghent before returning to London. Do you remember being followed by customs everytime we went ashore in Geraldton because one of the deckhands was caught with weed. It got to the stage we used to knock on the door of the minibus and ask who was coming for a beer! I was sacked that trip by Peter Charman the Old Man (one of life's gentlemen) he was very apologetic but apparently a Deck Apprentice could not tell a 2nd Engineer to **** off and grow up! The 2nd in question did actually whip the back of my legs in the bar with a bull whip when he was inebriated. Pete recommended I go for Mid Apprenticeship release which I did and then joined the Shaftesbury as 3/0 so not all bad. I was with Pete Charman again when the Coastal Corpus Christi and Coastal Hercules were laid up in Loch Striven, I'd risen to the dizzy heights of mate by then. Cheers
Derek Chadburn

Hi Derek
I remember the interogation by customs when going ashore.
I didnt exactly see eye to eye with the 2nd either. I remember strugling to keep awake on the 14hour genny watches and asking for work to help but not get any. At a party ashore the second said to me was that your book I found down below I said yes and he replied Ill make sure you dont get time to read Ill give you plenty of work to do. Good I said thats what I heve been asking for , but he never did.
Did we go in to Curacao for bunkers that trip.?
Regards
Roger

chadders
23rd May 2013, 20:00
Hi Derek
I remember the interogation by customs when going ashore.
I didnt exactly see eye to eye with the 2nd either. I remember strugling to keep awake on the 14hour genny watches and asking for work to help but not get any. At a party ashore the second said to me was that your book I found down below I said yes and he replied Ill make sure you dont get time to read Ill give you plenty of work to do. Good I said thats what I heve been asking for , but he never did.
Did we go in to Curacao for bunkers that trip.?
Regards
Roger

Hi Roger,
Yes Mr Hunt was a bit of a one!! As for bunkers we went to Dakar outward bound then Singapore on the way to OZ and Cape Town on the way home. I don't know why but the Tewkesbury seems to be the most memorable of the ships I sailed on. I remember Dakar because as we were leaving and the pilot had gone the Old Man Vic Owen (lovely guy but liked the booze!) tried to go the wrong side of a buoy. I was on the wheel and the 3rd Mate and I contrived to go the right side of the buoy and Vic never noticed. Of course him and the mate got the sack in Oz and Kenny Walker took over until Pete Charman arrived. Ah well happy days!
Cheers

Derek

handybilly7
26th May 2013, 19:47
Same scenario happened to me as 3/0 on the "Westbury" out bound from Port Harcourt--Sapele--Elder Dempster charter--told the old man (Capt.Williams?) going wrong side of buoy --took corrective action and then he told the Mate (who just arrived on bridge) it was his fault!! no thanks extended.

AndreBlack
30th August 2014, 14:47
Hi my grandfather Geordie Black was Chief purser on the Tewkesbury and sailed with Captain Ross for several years.