Denholm-MacLay

alexmackinnon
17th June 2007, 22:23
Any former Denholm-MacLay crew out there? I spent a couple of years with them between 1975-77.Did 2 trips on the Monach (6&9months)and 3 months on Gallic Wave. Good wee outfit.

Gulpers
18th June 2007, 04:01
Alex,

"Gina Maria" was a Denholm MacLay ship when I sailed on her. I probably learned more on her than any other ship I sailed on. (Thumb)

Dick S
18th June 2007, 19:19
I was on the Mingary and Misnish mostly. 84 to 86 when they were winding up - after you were there Alex! Did a couple of trips to Iceland on the Mingary . That was fun plus the Swedish Lakes in Winter That was bloody cold!

Dick

jax123
22nd August 2008, 15:54
Any former Denholm-MacLay crew out there? I spent a couple of years with them between 1975-77.Did 2 trips on the Monach (6&9months)and 3 months on Gallic Wave. Good wee outfit.
On the Gina Maria from Jan to March 75 as 3rd engineer. Joined New Orleans and via Barcelona,Livorna, Genoa and Barcelona ended up paying off in drydock in Veracruz.
Don't remember your name but am remembering less and less these days, so would be interested if you have a crew list or port dates from that time.
Jack Kirk

Brian Locking
22nd August 2008, 16:36
'Mingary' and 'Moidart' nice little sisters. Sold to a UK associate of Atle Jebsen around 1986/7.

shipboard
15th November 2008, 02:46
Sailed on the Moidart, Mingary, and Gallic Minch as Bosun in the early eighties,excellent mini bulkers a pleasure to work on.

shipboard.

beverlonian
19th January 2011, 09:26
I was on the Mingary and Misnish mostly. 84 to 86 when they were winding up - after you were there Alex! Did a couple of trips to Iceland on the Mingary . That was fun plus the Swedish Lakes in Winter That was bloody cold!

Dick

Just found this thread - I was with Denholm Maclay from 77 as 2/E and as C/E from 80 until their demise late 87 (?). Good Company but the last few years were pretty dreadful with constant hand-over to new owners (Cypriots, Greeks etc) as the British MN wound down (in fact I handed over their last vessel which, if my memory serves me correctly, was the Markinch).

Dick - the Swedish Lakes in winter - yes that was either the Moidart or Mingary (memory fading) but I do remember I'd never been so cold. Absolutely every froze.

gordy
19th January 2011, 13:17
Mrs was secretary at St Vincent St in 1974, while I was at Glasgow Nautical College.
Does that count(Thumb)

Don Matheson
19th January 2011, 13:51
Yes Gordy of course your wife counts, especially if you remember her name.
Sailed on Vento de Maestrale, Moidart, Mingary, Gallic Minch, Monica and Tere. Loved the coastal aspect of the ships, visiting coasts everywhere. Good trips from Tunisia to Hammerfest in North Norway, that was a good run. Also runs like Luanda to Rio and US coast to Mexico and Central America.
Loved the Mexico to US and Central America runs, one of the best jobs ever.
Good company to work for and I enjoyed my time there.

Don

Waighty
21st January 2011, 13:27
Denholm-Maclay also managed the CAST boats in the late 70s and early 80s. I sailed as Mate on the Cast Beaver. These were the early versions and basically were converted bulk carriers of ancient Norwegian lineage. Three holds and the deck were for TEUs the other four holds for bulk (Eastbound from Canada) and general (Westbound from Antwerp). An interesting experience indeed but I only stayed a short while. Initiall excellent deck crew form the NUS pool in Antwerp, so no Brits but just about everything else; Bosun was Mexican and a real gem. Latterly Cape Verde islanders and truth be told not very good on ships of that size.

bob phillips son
7th January 2013, 20:27
Hello everyone. I keep dipping in here. I was aboard Leslie Gault at some point in my youth. I spoke in the common bros thread about my Dad Captain Bob Phillips. I am sorting through his old stuff. He kept lots. Probably a bit naughty of him but I now have a reasonable collection of ships flags. He used to bring them home for me but they ended up in his loft. One of these is a Denholm flag. Let me know if any of you knew him, or me Alex.

Ed J
26th June 2014, 04:10
Even though it's been almost seven years since Alex began this thread, I couldn't pass by without saying that I remember Bob Phillips. The good old days !! I'm sure that many of those who worked on the 'mini bulkers' will have sailed with him at one time or another. I'll post a photo of the Gault on this web site - taken in Norway shortly after the ship changed over to the IOM flag.

gadgee
2nd July 2014, 22:23
Gault here

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/253431/title/leslie-gault/cat/510