Blue Funnel Photographs.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
15th March 2005, 18:05
undefinedundefinedundefined

I have a good selection of Blue Funnel and Straits Steamship also Clan Line Photographs if any one is interested and can scan any or most of what may be required.
I also write for the website www.merchantnavyofficers.com and am the admin'or for Blue Funnel, Straits Steamship and Clan Line.

I am also a member of The Blue Funnel Association. Anyone needing info on the Association please contact me by E mail.

flyer682
15th March 2005, 18:21
Welcome aboard, Captain. Photographs are always well received here, so post away!
Personally, I'm interested in the PRIAM class, as two of them ended up out here running for China Navigation as KWEICHOW and KWANGSI.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
15th March 2005, 18:26
OK David. I will get them going for you as soon as I can settle on this board. I have all the pictures and I know you are talking about the last Priam Class..After my Time. !!!!! Funnel on wrong end.!!! At the moment am having a lot of problems with user name and password, so bear with me.

John.

tanker
15th March 2005, 18:56
Welcome from Italy Capt.John, any type of merchant ships are good for the site as you can see !!!!!-
Gp

Fairfield
15th March 2005, 19:06
I echo all that.Welcome indeed to Ships Nostalgia and look forward to seeing the pics.

Doug Rogers
16th March 2005, 03:47
Welcome to the site, hope that you enjoy it. We are always happy to see more pictures so post away with a vengeance. We look forward to your input.
Doug

nambucca 1
17th March 2005, 22:54
OK David. I will get them going for you as soon as I can settle on this board. I have all the pictures and I know you are talking about the last Priam Class..After my Time. !!!!! Funnel on wrong end.!!! At the moment am having a lot of problems with user name and password, so bear with me.

John.

funnel on the wrong end? john what about "centaur" ha ha!!! you can't escape the "ferret"!!!!!

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
18th March 2005, 15:56
Re CENTAUR, she was special, the others, before our time my friend (The Good Times.) Am going to put one of "Our" HECTOR up soon. The one at Port Melbourne.

Maybe someone out here knows where we can find a picture of JALAWAR and NORTH STAR. The first vessels of the what became Clan Line.Welcome aboard FERRET. We been together a long time, got to keep the Tabnabs fresh. !!!

Rhiw.com
24th March 2005, 17:05
I sailed on six Blue Funnel ships between 1968 and 1972, Hector, Ixion, Perseus, Pyrrhus, Atreus, and the Priam. I also have quite a few photos of Blue funnel vessels on my website. All the Best, Tony Jones R867015.

Doug Rogers
25th March 2005, 00:20
Look forward to your posting of the Hector, visited her once many many years ago, bring it on.

Rhiw.com
25th March 2005, 07:13
The Hector was my first ship, I joined her in Hull on December 19th 1968. She had just arrived from Australia for the last time, as she would be running to the Far East from then on. We discharged meat at Hull, Bremen, and K.G.V dock London, before we sailed to Glasgow, where we spent about a month, fitting her with deep tanks, for latex. I paid off in Birkenhead on February 9th 1969. I did do a trip Far East on her, as J.O.S. from June 29th to October 2nd 1970, she was on the Bangkok run, but thatís another story. All the best, Tony Jones, R867015.

cheddarnibbles
3rd May 2005, 10:10
I was Senior Midshipman on HECTOR from 16-5-61 'til 21-8-61. A truly magnificent passenger/cargo liner in her time. Among many fond memories of the voyage was the Captain's farewell to the Mersey pilot...."Cheerio pilot, see you on the evening tide of 15th August". And he did,too !!! . Some ETA..Some schedualing...Some ship.!!!!
Subsequent voyages on ships of other companies operating under the same conference took 5 months minimum for the same voyage.

shipmate17
14th June 2005, 19:06
Welcome.
Did you ever come across my cousin.Bill Boyd(engineer)from Newcastle on Tyne.Sailed mostly on the Anchises.

Chris Lukk
15th December 2005, 20:11
I sailed on "HECTOR" as junior engineer from 3-1-66 to 12-11-66 on the Australian service.
I then joined the "ULYSSES" on 4-1-67 and sailed with her from Glasgow to Houston where she took up service on the Blue Sea Line service. I remained with her until signing off in New York on 18-12-67.
Although totally different, these were two magnificent steam turbine vessels.
I particularly remember we would crack open "the extra six" nozzles on the homeward run on "HECTOR" when in the Red Sea in order to be certain not to miss the next northbound convoy through the Suez canal.
Would be good to hear from any others who were on those vessels at that time.

R651400
16th December 2005, 06:50
I sailed on "HECTOR"
...and here she is, but which port?

cheddarnibbles
16th December 2005, 14:33

Was it Sydney ???

I remember our first port of call was Freemantle.We had just tied up alongside and finished stations when the ship lurched forward and bounced violently on the springs,breaking an 8inch headline. A ship berthing astern of us had given us a hefty clout on the starboard quarter and left its breastplate in one of the crews' toilets. A Chinese fitter ,who happened to be sitting on the throne at the time ,told the accident investigator..."That was the best raxative I've ever had in my rife"

john russell
20th December 2005, 23:04
trying to find pics of laomedon ( 1 ) I have pics in bord of Laomrdon served on her 43-46 can any one help, regards John Russell.

ruud
20th December 2005, 23:55
Ahoy John,
Here's you LAOMEDON:
http://www.merseysideviews.com/Merchant%20Vessels/Blue%20Funnel/pages/Bue-Fel%20050.htm

Derek Roger
21st December 2005, 02:24
Hi Capt.
I was in Riversdale in the early 60s and knew a lot of the Blue Flu chaps ( Mostly Engineers but some Midshipmen too ) There was an instuctor at Aulis Capt . Rooney and an engineering Supt from Dundee by the name of
Gillespie . Perhaps you would know them ??? Derek ( from Brocks )

john russell
21st December 2005, 14:05
Ruud, ----Thanks For Puting Pic up, Regards John. R.

Derek Roger
21st December 2005, 14:08
The Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek

kradford
21st December 2005, 21:54
I sailed on the Hector 1971 home trade as a peggy, She was my second ship.
Liverpool to Belfast..I got hit in the leg by a hatch board and payed off in Belfast.Then off to the Autolycus one H/T and 3 Far East trips.
Bluey's I sailed on Clytoneus, Hector, Autolycus, Patroclus, Philocaties, Hector (maiden Voyage bulker) Ascanius,Atreus, Antilochus, Lycaon
ED's Egori, Dumurra, Fourah Bay,Forcadas, Dixcove
OCL. Tokyo Bay
Glen. Glenogle.
Good old days
Cheers
Kevin Radford R904927
Pilot

allan besant
28th March 2006, 21:07
Hi, sailed on the Theseus in 1962 as second trip jos. signed on birkenhead 20/08/62. signed off 06/01/63. we did the usual far east run and then back to singapore for orders. left singapore for java, then we went to brisbane newcastle sidney melbourne and finaly albany for whale oil. while berthing in albany the tug hit us very hard about the middle of the after well deck and left a whopper of a dent i remember we had to shift cargo so a cement box could be fitted sailed for aden and then the continent before going home what a brilliant trip. 4 mths - 23 days. does anybody remember the voyage. regards allan

lakercapt
29th March 2006, 02:07
Hope all the spare parts are working now John and you don't ring too many alarms when going though airport security.
Now that spring is here you will be able to be about and see some traffic going through the Brockville Narrows.
Regards
Bill

vic pitcher
29th March 2006, 08:03
Hi Capt.
I was in Riversdale in the early 60s and knew a lot of the Blue Flu chaps ( Mostly Engineers but some Midshipmen too ) There was an instuctor at Aulis Capt . Rooney and an engineering Supt from Dundee by the name of
Gillespie . Perhaps you would know them ??? Derek ( from Brocks )

Captain Rooney was Terence C Rooney.
Terry served his time with Gibbs of Cardiff and was later with Smiths, he was 2nd Mate of "Cornish City" on my first trip early in 1956; he was in charge of the crew party travelling via Liverpool St, Harwich to Rotterdam, a lively experience as I recall. He was later with Moss Hutch and went into nautical education. He became a promionent member of the N.I. and HCMM in S. Wales, he is now retired in Dinas Powys.

Jim S
30th March 2006, 21:22
The Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek
There were two Engineer Superintendents that attended ships in Glasgow in 1960/61
One was (I think) a Mr Gilchrist. The other I do remember was a Mr Christian.
He probably terrified Blue Funnel engineers, he certainly terrified contractors.
In Glasgow there would normally be G & J Weir and Clyde Blower (sootblower makers) on board the P and H class turbine steamers. Mr Chistian would demand to know what we were working on and how many men were doing it.
Such was the power and reputation of Blue Flue at that time that on being allocated our jobs for the day we would leave Cathcart with the final words of Andy Stevens the Weir Outside Works Manager ringing in our ears " any complaints from the ship and you will be up the road" - (sacked)

mick Wright
21st June 2007, 22:06
Looking for picture of Pyrrhus can anyone help?

Peter4447
21st June 2007, 22:24
For the Blue Flue men who might be interested there is a full size, original Blue Funnel Houseflag up for grabs on E Bay at the moment (21st June).

Peter4447

rothesian
21st June 2007, 22:38
I sailed on "HECTOR" as junior engineer from 3-1-66 to 12-11-66 on the Australian service.
I then joined the "ULYSSES" on 4-1-67 and sailed with her from Glasgow to Houston where she took up service on the Blue Sea Line service. I remained with her until signing off in New York on 18-12-67.
Although totally different, these were two magnificent steam turbine vessels.
I particularly remember we would crack open "the extra six" nozzles on the homeward run on "HECTOR" when in the Red Sea in order to be certain not to miss the next northbound convoy through the Suez canal.
Would be good to hear from any others who were on those vessels at that time.

hi Chris
just missed you Hector 21/12/66 - 24/4/67 SS Howie Master, Brian Hood mate, Arthur Longbottom 2nd mate, John Pepper 3rd mate
cheers
Alistair

Trader
21st June 2007, 23:57

Look in My Gallery Mick. There is one there that I took in the 50's when she was anchored in Port Swettenham. It is black & white and a bit grainy I'm afraid.

Trader

Hague
22nd June 2007, 18:10
Capt Bax,
Having viewed your profile did you ever sail with Capt John Wright (Lamnalco in the 70s through 90s) but also Straits Steamship (Singapore) in the 50s & 60s.
John lived in Southport until his death about 5 years ago.

Hugh Ferguson
22nd June 2007, 22:12

Have a look in GALLERY under Cargo Ships, for a fine aerial photograph of said ship.

Blue Funnel Bert
15th October 2007, 00:26

Have plenty of Blue Funnel pictures including Pyrrhus. (Sailed in her 1960-62)
Lert me have an e-address

Bert
edited your Email out Bert , better to have people send you a PM instead , saves you from getting bombarded by junk Email , Davie Tait Moderator

Blue Funnel Bert
15th October 2007, 00:27
Have plenty of Blue Funnel pictures
Let me have an e-address.

edited your Email out Bert , better to have people send you a PM instead , saves you from getting bombarded by junk Email , Davie Tait Moderator

R651400
3rd November 2007, 07:21
Hi Bert,
I've not had contact with John Bax for quite a long time.
I sent him a cd with my Blue Funnel collection to which he acknowledged saying he had not been well plus he didn't look in on SN very often.
Were you per chance on the Adrastus in the late fifties?
How about posting your BF pics on SN gallery if you have not already done so? John Bax is no longer on my em address book but I may have him on an old saved copy somewhere. If I find it will pm you. Regards
Malcolm

KIWI
3rd November 2007, 09:39
Seem to remember an armed merchantman being in Wellington during the early part of WW2.Would that be correct? Kiwi

william robert parsons
22nd November 2007, 19:58
I sailed on six Blue Funnel ships between 1968 and 1972, Hector, Ixion, Perseus, Pyrrhus, Atreus, and the Priam. I also have quite a few photos of Blue funnel vessels on my website. All the Best, Tony Jones R867015.

did you sail with my dad bob parsons he was on the priam as bosun . please leave a message in the forum thanks, ex blue flu.

Bill Davies
22nd November 2007, 20:15
William,

So very sorry to here of your loss. I knew you father well when he was Lampy & Bosun in the late 50s. A well respected Bosun of the old school alongside Paddy Proctor (Peleus) and Joe Kavanagh (Ixion)
Last spoke to your father in 67 when he was on 'Priam' and I was in Liverpool up for Masters (FG). You will find plenty of his old shipmates on this site.

Bill Davies

Trader
22nd November 2007, 23:19
did you sail with my dad bob parsons he was on the priam as bosun . please leave a message in the forum thanks, ex blue flu..

Hello William,
I replied to your "Hello" thread when you asked if anyone knew your father but I never got a reply. If you are new to this site it can be a little confusing at first as there are a lot of Blue Funnel threads on the go at the same time.
I sometimes can't remember where my last post went to.

I have just had a look at your profile, which I didn't do when you made your first post, and see that your Dad passed away recently. Please accept my condolences to you and your family. He must have been a good age.

I sailed with Bob when he was Lampy on the "Astyanax" in 1954/55 Big Jack Cleary was the Bosun. I was a first trip E.D.H and he taught us young ones a lot. He was a first rate seaman and the thing that I remember him for most was that he was as strong as an ox.

Regards..............Alec.

lifeboat12
16th January 2008, 11:11
Hi
I remember Dalglish. He was my Super, 68-71.
I went to birkenhead college and then riversdale.
Best of luck
Lifeboat12

Hugh Ferguson
17th January 2008, 20:21
This is a somewhat time-worn photograph of Captain Radar Robb. I believe the picture was taken by Ian Jackson, 3rd mate of the SAMCREE, which ship was Radar's first command. I do not know why he is not in uniform; perhaps it was taken when ashore someplace.
Radar was a captain who liked a bit of fun from time to time. I was a last trip middy in that ship and as the voyage took place in late 1946 there was a lot of disorder and disruption occurring in Port Swettenham and Singapore resulting in much inactivity. Radar was a great organiser of what I can only describe as fun and games!
He was later in one of the A Class ships and during my two years piloting in Aden I met him twice. On the first occasion I was piloting his ship out of the harbour and he dared me to put her on full ahead as we left the berth.
At that time-early 1955-we still towed a whaler out for disembarkation, and even at half speed, it would be "planing" alongside the ship. I think Radar wanted to see it flying! I declined the dare because it would have been me who was called to the Harbour Master's office for the loss of our last whaler and a breach of Aden Harbour regulations.
The next and last time I saw him he was laid-up, in the same ship, with back trouble. A great character to whom I am indebted for his having taken the trouble to notice that I was a time expired middy. So, without me knowing what had been arranged, I was told one morning to pack my gear and join the STENTOR in order to return to U.K. to go for 2nd mates.

Hugh Ferguson
20th January 2008, 20:47
A fine photograph of Captain W.H.Simmonds OBE (does anyone know how he came to have this award?) and wife, with Buckingham Palace in the back-ground.
The picture was sent to me last year by his son, who has since died.
I did six voyages with him in the GLENROY and at the end of voy.23, in March 1953, he retired from going deep-sea and so did I but with other ambitions in mind.
I can remember his son, Howard, seeing his father off on yet another voyage, scampering around the decks of the GLENROY when he was a young lad.

Graham McMorine
20th January 2008, 21:10
Would anyone within SN. have a good colour photograph of Melampus, this being the ship which was stuck in Suez in 1967. I have tried several avenues for a good print but they seem few and far between and of poor quality.
I would be more than greatful if some one could provide me with one, or direct me to a provider / seller.
Regards to all, Gra. (Thumb)

Trevorw
20th January 2008, 23:15
Would anyone within SN. have a good colour photograph of Melampus, this being the ship which was stuck in Suez in 1967. I have tried several avenues for a good print but they seem few and far between and of poor quality.
I would be more than greatful if some one could provide me with one, or direct me to a provider / seller.
Regards to all, Gra. (Thumb)

Can't do "Melampus", but I've got one of "Machaon" - paint the name out and you won't know the difference!

Graham McMorine
25th January 2008, 16:53
Thanks Trevorw, Have sent you PM. Cheers (Thumb) (Thumb)

Pat Kennedy
10th February 2008, 18:12
did you sail with my dad bob parsons he was on the priam as bosun . please leave a message in the forum thanks, ex blue flu.

I sailed with your Dad on a few BlueysThe first one was the Myrmidon, laid up in the River Fal, and we were taken down to join her in a bus from Birkenhead, The bosun, lampy and carpenter had gone ahead a few days earlier. I was quite apprehensive because some of the older ABs had discussed the bosun on the way down, describing him as a brutal bosun of the old school, but on meeting him I found him to be a great bloke, and learned a hell of a lot from him.
Next time I sailed with him was on the Melampus which we joined in the Caledon shipyard in Dundee. that would be in about 1964.
Bob was a fine seaman and a nice guy. We used to poke fun at his Newfoundland accent, and he took it all in good part.
I last heard he was living in Moreton on the Wirral about twenty years ago, but I never met him since I came ashore in 1968.
I am sorry to learn of his death, he was a fine man and probably the best seaman I ever sailed with.
Regards,
Pat

Pat Kennedy
10th February 2008, 18:21
This is a somewhat time-worn photograph of Captain Radar Robb. I believe the picture was taken by Ian Jackson, 3rd mate of the SAMCREE, which ship was Radar's first command. I do not know why he is not in uniform; perhaps it was taken when ashore someplace.
Radar was a captain who liked a bit of fun from time to time. I was a last trip middy in that ship and as the voyage took place in late 1946 there was a lot of disorder and disruption occurring in Port Swettenham and Singapore resulting in much inactivity. Radar was a great organiser of what I can only describe as fun and games!
He was later in one of the A Class ships and during my two years piloting in Aden I met him twice. On the first occasion I was piloting his ship out of the harbour and he dared me to put her on full ahead as we left the berth.
At that time-early 1955-we still towed a whaler out for disembarkation, and even at half speed, it would be "planing" alongside the ship. I think Radar wanted to see it flying! I declined the dare because it would have been me who was called to the Harbour Master's office for the loss of our last whaler and a breach of Aden Harbour regulations.
The next and last time I saw him he was laid-up, in the same ship, with back trouble. A great character to whom I am indebted for his having taken the trouble to notice that I was a time expired middy. So, without me knowing what had been arranged, I was told one morning to pack my gear and join the STENTOR in order to return to U.K. to go for 2nd mates.

I sailed with Captain Robb, on my first trip as deck boy, in 1958 on the Achilles. I remember him as a bit of a joker who would come into the wheelhouse and order hard a starboard, just so he could watch the swing on the radar. We crossed the Indian Ocean in a series of circles.
Regards,
Pat

jmcg
24th April 2008, 13:32
The Hector was my first ship, I joined her in Hull on December 19th 1968. She had just arrived from Australia for the last time, as she would be running to the Far East from then on. We discharged meat at Hull, Bremen, and K.G.V dock London, before we sailed to Glasgow, where we spent about a month, fitting her with deep tanks, for latex. I paid off in Birkenhead on February 9th 1969. I did do a trip Far East on her, as J.O.S. from June 29th to October 2nd 1970, she was on the Bangkok run, but thatís another story. All the best, Tony Jones, R867015.

You must know Joe Bates {Bosun}then. Joe had a dislike of Junior Ordinary Seamen -but was a very good bosun to his men. I remember Joe giving off the the Mate who had challenged him about "knocking " the men off early. Joe offered the "keys" to the Mate who declined. Joe ran "the crowd" on the Hector and no one else. He was on the Hector for 19 years I think. I was with him on the first trip on the Eastern run - he always bragged about his "aussie men" being far superier to "you f------ eastern men". He loved to brag about the stamina of his aussie men - how they would party all night on the aussie coast and still be up for stations in the morning. No "eastern man" could hold a candle to this type of individual.

I'm almost certain that it was on his first trip out East on the Hector (I was AB) he fell to the charms of the jacob ladder girls in Bangkok. He did not arise until well after midday - by which time the Mate had knocked us all off except for the deck watch.

A damn fine bosun though.

BW Sean

teb
3rd June 2008, 05:14
undefinedundefinedundefined

I have a good selection of Blue Funnel and Straits Steamship also Clan Line Photographs if any one is interested and can scan any or most of what may be required.
I also write for the website www.merchantnavyofficers.com and am the admin'or for Blue Funnel, Straits Steamship and Clan Line.

I am also a member of The Blue Funnel Association. Anyone needing info on the Association please contact me by E mail.

Would very much appreciate receiving info on Blue Funnel Association regards Lionel Tebbutt

steve goldswain
6th September 2008, 03:52
the hector was also my first ship rond the coast as deck boy

morf49
10th October 2008, 09:08
Hi everybody, I've been looking on the net for shipping arrivals and somehow I wound up on this fascinating forum. A friend of mine migrated to Australia on the SS Hector when she was very young. She has a vivid memory of going under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and she would love to have the actual date the ship docked in Sydney. We have managed to find out that the Hector left Liverpool on 17/11/1956 and it is listed in the Sydney Morning Herald shipping lists as being in port on 18/19 Jan,1957. She would be very happy if someone who served on her could provide the docking date in Sydney and of course any other snippets about the voyage would be delightful.

Ken Berry
23rd November 2008, 10:06
Hi Captain Bax,
Could you possibly help me My Maternal Grandfather was on the S.S.Sagamore.Bound for Liverpool from Boston Mass,Having sailed 27th February 1917.On the 3rd,March 1917 the ship was torpedoed by U-49,150 Miles due west from Fastnet Rock.The Sagamore sank within 30 minutes,only three lifeboats being launched.During a gale that night the lifeboats were all separated,two never to be seen again.The remaining lifeboat had 17 suvivors aboard,including my Grandfather 3rd Engineer Thomas Edward Lunt.On the 12th of March 1917 the Blue Funnel Ship S.S.Deucalion bound for Capetown came across the lifeboat,many many hundreds of miles south,of the original sinking position of the Sagamore.There were only 7 survivors in the lifeboat including my grandad.On arrival at Capetown.5 of the survivors had to have their feet amputated due to Frostbite and Gangrene,but not my grandfather.
He was shipped home fairly quickly according to my Mother and by 1920 had his legs amputated an inch or two below the knees.Having had toes,and flesh removed over a number of years.It has taken me just on 6 years to find the information so far.I was wandering if it would be possible to obtain a photo of the S.S.Deucalion involved in the rescue.I was informed that she too was sunk later that year,but am sure that is incorrect.I was also hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction to obtain a copy of the Log entries over the rescue period.My Paternal Granfather was Captain on the Alexander Towing Co.Tug "Bramley Moore" prior to,during and after the war retiring at 76 August. 1945 and the next 10 years before he died going down to the Mersey to watch his past.I was on the "Bramley Morre" numerous occasions and he always told me "Lad if you go to sea Blue Flu will Make you earn your Position and theirs are the best ships built"With having served my apprenticeship as an Engineer at Babcock and Wilcox,were you were encouraged to and made to study.By the time one completed ones Apprenticship a high percentage had their Ordinary and Higher National Engineering Certificates.Which was a requirement to join the Blue Funnel Line.I didn't take his advice and went with the N.Z.S.Co.I apologise for my ramblings and hope you may be able to help as My Children,Grandchildren and fortunately two great grandchildren who aren't old enough to hassle me for getting my family genealogy together as are the older ones.Best Regards Ken Berry

non descript
23rd November 2008, 10:24
Ken, thank you for your interesting post and whilst Captain Bax is not around himself to respond, there may well be others who can help you, so hopefully you will get some good replies.
(Thumb)
Mark

R651400
23rd November 2008, 16:20
Deucalion built Scotts Greenock 1900 survived WW1 and was sold to Italian Ditta L Pittaluga Vapori in 1930 and broken up Genoa 1933.

BillH
23rd November 2008, 17:01
Deucalion built Scotts Greenock 1900 survived WW1 and was sold to Italian Ditta L Pittaluga Vapori in 1930 and broken up Genoa 1933.
DEUCALION (2nd vessel in fleet to carry name) (1900 - 1930) Idomeneus class steel steamship.

O.N. 113433. 7,030g. 4,461n. 442.5 x 52.8 x 32.1 feet.
T.3-cyl. (29", 50" & 82" x 60") engine (No. 407), made by the (shipbuilder’s) Greenock Foundry Company, Greenock. 4,000 IHP. 13 kts.

3.8.1898: Ordered from Scott & Company, Greenock (Yard No. 363) for the Ocean Steamship Company.

12.10.1900: Launched.

29.11.1900: Completed at a cost of £86,581.

6.6.1902: Owners restyled as the Ocean Steamship Company Ltd.

1930: Sold to Ditta L. Pittaluga Vapori, Italy, and renamed AQUITANIA.

1933: Sold to Italian shipbreakers, for demolition at Genoa.

Ken Berry
24th November 2008, 02:36
(Thumb) (Thumb) (Thumb)
Thanks Mark Tonga,Super Moderator for letting me know Capt.Bax wouldn't be available.Have had to replies witha few notes I didn't know and confiming thet the Deucalion was not sunk.So maybe thereis still a chance of getting copies of that day in 1917.Thanks to R651400,Senior Member in France and BillH Senior Member In Britain.Your information is more info for the Childrenin his Genealogy.Onto the Newspaper Cutting from Capetown S.A.now.Best Regards Ken B.

demodocus22
14th January 2009, 05:07
hi glad to have u here, capt, do u remember capt punchard, of the blue funnels, only allowed 2 bottles of beer a day, and u had to take yr emptys back, so u could not save them, looking forward to yr pics, i am a member of the blue flue ass, keep safe, frank hughes

Bill Davies
14th January 2009, 08:04
hi glad to have u here, capt, do u remember capt punchard, of the blue funnels, only allowed 2 bottles of beer a day, and u had to take yr emptys back, so u could not save them, looking forward to yr pics, i am a member of the blue flue ass, keep safe, frank hughes

Good morning Frank,

Capt Punchard....Peggy's nightmare. White gloves for inspection. A fine Master all the same.

Brgds

Bill

The Dog
17th July 2010, 12:42
Dear God Newfy Bob and Jack Cleary in the same ship, no dissenting vioces in that one.

Peter (Pat) Baker
17th July 2010, 17:12
Does anybody remember Capt. Large of Blue Funnel, 1950-1960 vintage.
Pat Baker.

Pat Kennedy
17th July 2010, 18:17
Dear God Newfy Bob and Jack Cleary in the same ship, no dissenting vioces in that one.

It could be worse, Bob Parsons was OK.
I sailed in one with Jack Cleary as bosun,
Gordon Ford as carpenter and Blondie Lorraine was lampy.
The PO's mess room was a sea of mutual loathing.
Regards,
Pat

Hugh Ferguson
17th July 2010, 18:39
Ken Berry, I have photo of that Deucalion: I'll post it later today, hopefully.

Hugh Ferguson
17th July 2010, 19:39
Hi Captain Bax,
Could you possibly help me My Maternal Grandfather was on the S.S.Sagamore.Bound for Liverpool from Boston Mass,Having sailed 27th February 1917.On the 3rd,March 1917 the ship was torpedoed by U-49,150 Miles due west from Fastnet Rock.The Sagamore sank within 30 minutes,only three lifeboats being launched.During a gale that night the lifeboats were all separated,two never to be seen again.The remaining lifeboat had 17 suvivors aboard,including my Grandfather 3rd Engineer Thomas Edward Lunt.On the 12th of March 1917 the Blue Funnel Ship S.S.Deucalion bound for Capetown came across the lifeboat,many many hundreds of miles south,of the original sinking position of the Sagamore.There were only 7 survivors in the lifeboat including my grandad.On arrival at Capetown.5 of the survivors had to have their feet amputated due to Frostbite and Gangrene,but not my grandfather.
He was shipped home fairly quickly according to my Mother and by 1920 had his legs amputated an inch or two below the knees.Having had toes,and flesh removed over a number of years.It has taken me just on 6 years to find the information so far.I was wandering if it would be possible to obtain a photo of the S.S.Deucalion involved in the rescue.I was informed that she too was sunk later that year,but am sure that is incorrect.I was also hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction to obtain a copy of the Log entries over the rescue period.My Paternal Granfather was Captain on the Alexander Towing Co.Tug "Bramley Moore" prior to,during and after the war retiring at 76 August. 1945 and the next 10 years before he died going down to the Mersey to watch his past.I was on the "Bramley Morre" numerous occasions and he always told me "Lad if you go to sea Blue Flu will Make you earn your Position and theirs are the best ships built"With having served my apprenticeship as an Engineer at Babcock and Wilcox,were you were encouraged to and made to study.By the time one completed ones Apprenticship a high percentage had their Ordinary and Higher National Engineering Certificates.Which was a requirement to join the Blue Funnel Line.I didn't take his advice and went with the N.Z.S.Co.I apologise for my ramblings and hope you may be able to help as My Children,Grandchildren and fortunately two great grandchildren who aren't old enough to hassle me for getting my family genealogy together as are the older ones.Best Regards Ken Berry

Ken, This thumbnail is the best I can come up with for the 1900 built s.s. Deucalion. The ship that rescued your Grand Father all of those years ago.

eriskay
17th July 2010, 21:09
Hi everybody, I've been looking on the net for shipping arrivals and somehow I wound up on this fascinating forum. A friend of mine migrated to Australia on the SS Hector when she was very young. She has a vivid memory of going under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and she would love to have the actual date the ship docked in Sydney. We have managed to find out that the Hector left Liverpool on 17/11/1956 and it is listed in the Sydney Morning Herald shipping lists as being in port on 18/19 Jan,1957. She would be very happy if someone who served on her could provide the docking date in Sydney and of course any other snippets about the voyage would be delightful.

morf49 :
Appreciate this is an old thread but thought I would post an image of what I believe to be the 'HECTOR' passing under the Sydney Bridge.

Angus

The Dog
17th July 2010, 22:30
Regards,
Pat

Demodocus PO's mess was bad. Anything I said bosun Dan Corlet contradicted. It led to a blazing row one day with Pete Elder smirking in the background. Trevor Roberts was lamptrimmer and he often had his meals barechested knowing it would put the BoBo off his food. As he had left half his a stomach in a PoW camp, he regularly missed his meals. He gave me no help with the tanks or cargo gear or battening down so I threw all the guys onto the deck and did all my own work aloft sending the tumblers down so I could measure the wear down on deck (there was none, she was only 5 years old) then went up again to put them back. It restricted him to one hatch a day which made me popular, more field days for the crowd and the Mate couldn't stand him so no heat from there. Four derricks a day was the norm in the rest of the fleet. Sorry to all you folks who don't understand a word of the above, it's scaley talk so just have a beer and a smoke.
On another subject why did all the parties happen in someone's room when the officers and ratings had very nice rec rooms.

The Dog
17th July 2010, 22:53
Somewhere in SN is a colour picture of Achilles alongside Holts Wharf in Kowloon. It was used as the front of the 1959 callender. I cant find it, can anyone help a poor sailor. I am also looking for the famous Ajax 5 Liverpool 1 taken in Trincomalee said to be by Ted Milburn RO. \\\\\\\\\\regards Woof Woof

Trader
18th July 2010, 00:13
Does anybody remember Capt. Large of Blue Funnel, 1950-1960 vintage.
Pat Baker.

Hello Peter,

I did three Far East trips in 1953 on the "Bellerophon" with Capt. H.C. Large, (I think that the H was for Henry). A gentleman of the old school, Large by name and large by stature, he was well over six feet. I was deck boy at the time and remember well the daily inspections except Sundays (linen change day).

Regards,

Alec.

sinnesael jean claude
4th October 2010, 08:50
Bonjour

Where can I find a ships plans (blue funnel) for built a model

merci

sam Prowting
3rd October 2011, 16:38
bThe Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek

Ian Dalglish ended up as the marine superintendent {engineering} I met Ian some years after leaving Blue Funnel to join Liverpool City Police when my nephew wanted to join the company as an engineer, and he asked me if I could vouch for him. Regards Sam Prowting

docked
12th October 2011, 21:57
I sailed on the Hector 1971 home trade as a peggy, She was my second ship.
Liverpool to Belfast..I got hit in the leg by a hatch board and payed off in Belfast.Then off to the Autolycus one H/T and 3 Far East trips.
Bluey's I sailed on Clytoneus, Hector, Autolycus, Patroclus, Philocaties, Hector (maiden Voyage bulker) Ascanius,Atreus, Antilochus, Lycaon
ED's Egori, Dumurra, Fourah Bay,Forcadas, Dixcove
OCL. Tokyo Bay
Glen. Glenogle.
Good old days
Cheers
Kevin Radford R904927
Pilot

hi, i see from your post you sailed on the protroculas? i am just looking for ny old ship mates of my dads ANTHONY DOYLE went by the name of TONY? from birkenhead as ive been told he sailed that same ship. I know he travelled to singapore as he did say. do you remember him? regards

sam Prowting
29th September 2012, 16:27
I did ten years with Blue Funnel my last ship being the coal burner Diomed great ship she broke down with engine problems a few times and we had to put into a few unscheduled ports for repair.Prior to Blue Funnel in 1944 I was on deep sea rescue tugs, that was quite hairy at times. Then came ashore to marry and joined Liverpool Police.Still longing to see a Bluey sailing up the Mersey instead of those floating boxes. Regards Sam Prowting.

oldseamerchant
29th September 2012, 16:39
Regards,
Pat

Blondie Lorraine........What ship did I sail with him? He was Prom Deck man on a 'P' boat.......

mulan18
6th October 2013, 04:19
Hey there,

Wondering if anyone knows my grandad he was chief engineer with BF for years, Jack Waters. He sadly passed away this year so would be really nice to hear what he was like back then!

Regards
Amy

squeekywood
17th November 2013, 14:05

freemantle i think

squeekywood
17th November 2013, 14:08
Hello Peter,

I did three Far East trips in 1953 on the "Bellerophon" with Capt. H.C. Large, (I think that the H was for Henry). A gentleman of the old school, Large by name and large by stature, he was well over six feet. I was deck boy at the time and remember well the daily inspections except Sundays (linen change day).

Regards,

Alec.

I coasted with capt large summer 1959 diomed.. he had ason jack .do you know where he is.
john wood