The Grey Seas Under

ddraigmor
23rd June 2007, 11:55
Just bought this book off Amazon for under a 5 - in perfect nick too!

Farley Mowatt's epic tale of an ex WW1 Admiralty tug HMS 'Frisky' re-named the 'Foundation Franklin' and her exploits salving ships off Canada and out in the Atlantic.

I read this book many, many years ago when the Seafarer's Library was up and going and never forgot how enthralling it was. Years later, having had a career in toing and salvage, I can endorse the book's crux that salvors (and tugmen) are born - not made!

Has to be aclassic of nautical history - and would definitely recommend it to anyone considering a damned good read.

Jonty

Peter4447
23rd June 2007, 12:33
I am sure that this is out of print and difficult to get hold of but as you say Jonty highly recommended.
Peter

Gulpers
23rd June 2007, 12:33
Thanks for the recommendation Jonty. Although of particular interest to our tugmen, I'm sure we would all enjoy the book. (Thumb)

BTW do Amazon have copies of Sea Breezes, March 2007, Vol 81, Issue 735?

I believe there has been a sudden demand for back copies! (Jester)

Nova Scotian
23rd June 2007, 15:13
Just bought this book off Amazon for under a 5 - in perfect nick too!

Farley Mowatt's epic tale of an ex WW1 Admiralty tug HMS 'Frisky' re-named the 'Foundation Franklin' and her exploits salving ships off Canada and out in the Atlantic.

I read this book many, many years ago when the Seafarer's Library was up and going and never forgot how enthralling it was. Years later, having had a career in toing and salvage, I can endorse the book's crux that salvors (and tugmen) are born - not made!

Has to be aclassic of nautical history - and would definitely recommend it to anyone considering a damned good read.

Jonty

Farley Mowat was a long-time resident of Nova Scotia and has written some great tales of the sea. I have a signed copy of the Serpents Coil (ISBN 0-7704-2313-2) which tells the tale of the salvage of the liberty ship Leicester by the Foundation Josephine. It's a great read.

Cheers.

ddraigmor
24th June 2007, 09:43
Sounds like another good read!

Gulpers - I believe they may well have back copies........I have feelings, you know. I can be hurt! ;-0

Jonty

Gulpers
24th June 2007, 13:01
Sounds like another good read!

Gulpers - I believe they may well have back copies........I have feelings, you know. I can be hurt! ;-0

Jonty

Aaah .... but I know that an ex-Tugman and RNLI Crewman can take the punishment! (Jester)

Bruce Carson
24th June 2007, 13:20
'The Boat Who Wouldn't Float', a comedy of errors about a boat with a mind of her own and a predilection for seeking the bottom is great summer reading.
Below is an URL to a list of in and out of print books by Mr Mowat.
Fortunately, his books are popular and most can be bought second hand at a very reasonable price. Many are available in paperback.

http://www.mostlyfiction.com/humor/mowat.htm

Bruce C

ddraigmor
24th June 2007, 15:08
Bruce - thanks for the link.

Gulpers - yes, I can! Also, working with people whose sense of right and wrong is badly clouded by many things, I guess I can take most of what is dished out too!

Jonty