Any RN ships at Aden 1960/70s ?

clydesiderman
24th June 2007, 17:45
I'll be starting some new paintings in a couple of weeks depicting cargo ships at Aden in the 1960/70s. For authenticity, I want to include in the background some RN vessels which would have been at Aden during those years. Anyone know any frigates/destroyers/ aircraft carriers or whatever which were there? Did they lie at buoys/anchor/alongside? Douglas.

jbryce
26th June 2007, 22:55
Visited Aden on the aircraft carrier Ark Royal 4 in 1965 and we were anchored out, with underwater lighting rigged to counteract terrorists.

melliget
27th June 2007, 00:23
A search of The Times for H.M. Ships visiting Aden, 1960-1968 (not comprehensive obviously, as it didn't pick up Ark Royal - a different search may have):

Bulwark, commando carrier, Jan 1961.

Centaur, aircraft carrier (22,000 tons), Aug 1961.

Owen, survey ship, Nov 1961.

Possibly Dalrymple, May 1962.

Agincourt, destroyer, Jun 1963 (rescued 4 Americans).

Anzio, tank landing ship, Aug 1964 (helped bring fire on British tanker Esso Norway, 31,642 tons, under control).

Calton and Carhampton, coastal minesweepers, Jan 1965 (on patrol against weapon smuggling).

Possibly Zulu, frigate, Jul 1965.

Cambrian, destroyer (2,020 tons), Aug 1965. Towed disabled Italian tanker Adrian Augusta (20,300 tons) 600 miles through the Red Sea to Aden.

Apr 1966 announcement: HMS Sheba, RN shore establishment in Aden, to be wound up in Aug.

Fearless, assault landing ship (11,060 tons), Nov 1966.

Appleton, minesweeper (360 tons), May 1967.

Hermes, aircraft carrier (23,000 tons), May 1967.

Eskimo, Tribal class frigate (2,300 tons), Jun 1967.

Fearless, Sep 1967.

Albion & Eagle (43,000 tons), Nov 1967 (Army withdrawal).

Bulwark, Tribal class frigate Gurkha (2,300 tons) and Leander class Phoebe (2,450 tons), Dec 1967.

Naval force stands down Feb 1968: Abovementioned ships, as well as London and Devonshire, guided missile destroyers (5,200 tons). Task force supported by 14 RFA ships: Tidespring, Tidereach, Tideflow, Retainer, Reliant, Resurgent, Lyness, Stromness, Tarbatness, Fort Dunvegan, Fort Sandusky, Olna and Olwen.

No further mentions of H.M. and Aden up to 1980.

regards,
Martin

clydesiderman
27th June 2007, 21:17
Many thanks JBryce and Martin, thats the very stuff I needed. Again, thank you, Douglas

jbryce
27th June 2007, 22:03
Just found Commissioning Book for the Ark:
Anchored off Aden 2 to 4 July 1965 and again, on the return home, on 31st May 1966, some info about Aden here:

http://www.axfordsabode.org.uk/comishbk0.htm#Ark%20Royal%2061 (http://www.axfordsabode.org.uk/comishbk0.htm#Ark%20Royal%2061)
Click on Ark Royal R09 1964 to 1966 Part 4. (In the 1961 - 1963 commissioning book click on Part 6)
If you have plenty of time to spare, you may find other info in other ships commissioning books relating to visits to Aden.

gil mayes
27th June 2007, 22:27
ALBION (Capt A. B. Cole DSC). A bit too early for you I am afraid but we were in Aden from 5 Nov 1958 to 12 Nov 1958.
Gil.

clankie
27th June 2007, 22:44
Aircraft carrier "Victorious" outward bound at the end of July 1966 and again in May of 1967 homeward bound. On both occasions anchored out.

Slim Whitman
28th June 2007, 09:39
I was on the Ashanti, Tribal class frigate from Jan 1964 to Sept 65 and we went to Aden several times whilst we were based in the Gulf.

clydesiderman
29th June 2007, 20:39
This gets better and better. Keep it up guys. Douglas

Eric Walter
30th June 2007, 14:11
A site that I have just found and which I think you will find useful:

www.britains-smallwars.com/Aden/units.html

Your thread reminded me of an incident that took place at Mukalla when I was deck apprentice with Brocklebanks in 1966. I tried to find information about that incident and came across the site.

The events are a little hazy but an RN minesweeper arrived and anchored close by three merchant ships. For some reason the minesweeper later weighed anchor, only to anchor again further out to sea. Some time later a frigate arrived, presumably from Aden, and anchored by the merchant ships. I was doing the anchor watch that night. Suddenly what I assumed to be a machine gun opened up from the rear of the town, aiming at the frigate. There was lots of tracer and you could see the gun's position. The frigate sent up a huge parachute flare which lit up the whole of Mukalla, the shooting stopped and I lifted my head from behind the bridge dodger.

Unfortunately I cannot remember for sure which Brock ship I was on. From the web site I discovered the frigate was HMS Brighton

Happy painting,

Eric Walter

Degema
23rd July 2007, 16:45
Stopped off in Aden in RFA Wave Sovereign in late 1963 on way to Singapore via Gan.

Rummie
30th October 2009, 22:07
Bit late, but here goes.

We called in Aden on the Loch Lomond in November 1964 on our way back to Pompey for decomissioning and eventual scrapping.

Ken

Union Jack
6th November 2009, 15:42
Aircraft carrier "Victorious" outward bound at the end of July 1966 and again in May of 1967 homeward bound. On both occasions anchored out.

Also when outward bound to the Far East in August 1963. I remember cutting my foot on some coral whilst swimming at the officers' club beach, and a small british boy of about five at the water's edge calling out "You'd better get out of the water, Mister." I very promptly did when, on my querying his suggestion, he replied "Because you'll attract all the bleeding sharks"!

Jack

CEYLON220
6th November 2009, 17:08

Also when outward bound to the Far East in August 1963. I remember cutting my foot on some coral whilst swimming at the officers' club beach, and a small british boy of about five at the water's edge calling out "You'd better get out of the water, Mister." I very promptly did when, on my querying his suggestion, he replied "Because you'll attract all the bleeding sharks"!

Jack

Shark net broke when we were at the club and that pool was evacuated in 5 seconds flat when some bright spark shouted "SHARK"--no one hung around to see if it was true, this was when the LOCH KILLISPORT was there in 55.

dinger
8th November 2009, 18:27
HMS Loch Fada F390 anti-submarine frigate was alongside in 1964 during the first half of year.
Dinger.

ekd
8th November 2009, 19:38
H.M.S. Diana was in Aden around May 1963, then again in 1964 heading back to the UK after far flung tour.

ekd

McCloggie
8th November 2009, 20:33
My father commanded HMS Messina (LST 3403?) in the early 1960s and was in Aden (I know because I went out there with my mother) with other members of the Amphibious Landing Squadron.

McC

John Callon
8th November 2009, 22:46
I was on the troopship Devonshire in Aden around 1960/61 when the aircraft carrires Bulwark and Albion were berthed on the bouys there in the harbour. The carriers were transferring stores etc between each other as one of them
was heading back to the UK after a tour of duty.
Regards,
John.

price
9th November 2009, 15:06
I remember arriving at Aden from Suez on the Darvish Vananca within two days of the canal closure in 1967, the port was closed and we went to anchor outside the port, an army vessel came out to us and the officer told us that HMS Hermes had just sailed under the threat of air raid bombing to her and to Little Aden. Having no effective radio on board, this was the first that we knew of the 6 day war.
Bruce.

chiefopsr
14th November 2009, 13:31
Euryalus passed through on the way to the Far East in May 65 remained at a buoy overnight. Returned early/mid June of the following year.
Terry

scouseacus
25th May 2012, 17:02
HMS Gurkha visited Aden a couple of times during the troubles and I well remember patrolling the Jetty carrying a .303 rifle (with no ammo) checking the water for any 'baddies'. Also did a patrol at the dockyard gate and an old drunk American came demanding to be let in to show his friend (a young Arab lad) around! The Air Force security guys took him and his 'Friend' in for questioning ignoring the complaining of the American guy!

vickentallen
25th May 2012, 18:44
10th April 1962 "Tiger" alongside on transit to Far East Station (without the shed)

louisfr36
15th January 2013, 12:40
I was in the Lancashire Regiment in Aden in 1967 and was ordered to take a small party of soldiers to join HMS Puncheston, optimistically called a Patrol Craft but actually a minesweeper, to teach the crew how to operate the new (to RN) FN rifle. We embarked at the start of their patrol along the south coast of what was then the Aden Protectorate. Searched one fishing dhow before being ordered to proceed with all speed to Mukalla, where the British Resident's house and office had just been hit by a blindicide (kind of Rocket Launcher) missile and take "suitable action". We duly arrived at Mukalla, established communications with the Resident and found that there had been no injuries except a large hole in the front wall of his house. However, he reckoned a show of force would be a good idea and so we disembarked a mixed force of soldiers and sailors by launch onto the quay and marched to the Residency suspiciously eyed by the local nationals. We re-assured the staff that we would be anchored in the harbour until told to return to Aden. When we re-embarked, we found that we had been joined by HMS Brighton, from Aden. After the Captain had made his number with the other ship, and found he had secured a Dinner invite for that night, we waited for darkness to fall before going aboard Brighton. Alas, it was not to be. Just after EENT(Early evening nautical twilight) - not all us soldiers are thick - we became the recipients of a burst of machine gun fire from the town and went to Action Stations. The Captain then cobbled together a plan with his opposite number from Brighton. The idea was that Puncheston would drift close inshore using engines only to keep within a 'box' chinagraphed onto the radar screen. Brighton would remain further out to sea and retaliate if we drew any more fire. They, of course were on ' darken ship' whereas we were showing some lights.
I even took a watch, with strict instructions to do nothing if we drifted outside the box except call the first officer. The night was quiet. Just before EMNT, Brighton fired an illuminating shell over the bay. Just before leaving,we noticed a bullet hole in the funnel, so we gave the locals a taste of British maritime might by firing all our main and secondary armament, out to sea, of course. End of Mukalla incident.

Mactyke
16th January 2013, 01:43
Just finished scanning some of my fathers photo slides and found this. He was in the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards attached to HMS ZULU and took this photo of HMS AISNE (Battle Class Destroyer) entering Aden. The pennant number doesn't show clearly but you can just make out D22 when it's projected on to a screen.

Hugh Ferguson
5th April 2013, 10:52
H.M.S. Diana was in Aden around May 1963, then again in 1964 heading back to the UK after far flung tour.

ekd

I piloted many naval ships in Aden c.1955/56 as they were frequent callers for bunkers.
On occasion some were stationed in Aden for naval exercises and were in and out daily. H.M.S Diana comes to mind, in particular, because I was called to account, by the Harbour Master, for going down the harbour too fast!!
H.M.S. Loch Lomond was another name that comes to mind but there were many more in those days.

gil mayes
6th April 2013, 11:13
ALBION at Aden 5 Nov 1958 head and stern buoys Oiling Berth 4 in. Later to buoys 3 in. Next port Karachi 17 Nov 1958 20/21 berth.
Gil.