Hello from Santos

Santos
16th March 2005, 20:34
Hello everyone from Santos.

Ex Lamport & Holt Line of Liverpool which is sadly no more. I look forward to talking to many of you.

Santos (:P) (:P)

Ron B Manderson
16th March 2005, 20:48
hope you enjoy the site like we do
Welcome

michael james
16th March 2005, 20:58
Welcome to the site Santos, I have a soft spot for Lamport & Holt - my parents met on the old ss Vandyk (pic posted on site)
I am sure you will enjoy the experience. Mike J

Santos
16th March 2005, 20:59
Ron,
Thank you for the welcome, still finding my way around, lots of very interesting things to see and many buttons to press.

Kind regards to Bonnie Scotland

Santos

flyer682
16th March 2005, 21:01
Welcome aboard Santos. We got some great people here with a wealth of experience and knowledge. Enjoy it.

Santos
16th March 2005, 21:04
Hi Mike,

It was a great line, I was with them in the 60s. Some of the best years of my life. There does not seem to be much on Lamports when you look around the web, only the Blue Star site which happily includes a list of some of the Lamport ships including the Vandyke and also happily three of the ships I sailed on.

Nice to speak to you Mike

Santos

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
16th March 2005, 21:06
I am a writer for The website www.merchantnavyofficers.com and have just completed to the best of my ability, Clan Line, the last section still has to go up. I note you were with Lamport and Holt's. I am considering doing their story next if I can find enough infomation. Do you have any photographs of the vessels or any infomation relating to them as History etc. I was with Blue Funnel out of Liverpool so I know L & H ships well Hope you enjoy this site as I am, but only been here a couple of days so still clicking here there and everywhere.
Enjoy.

Fair Winds to you all.

Am also thinking of doing Hain's, but to you all, suggestions and info invited.
Also as a point of interest , we have at MNO raised a lot of money and had a bronze plaque made in Australia which is now mounted at The Bidadari Cemetry memorial Garden in Singapore. You can see it on the site.

Santos
16th March 2005, 21:06
David,

Thank you for your welcome, I look forward to speaking to you all.

Santos

Santos
16th March 2005, 21:12
Hello Capt Bax,

I know Alfred Holt well, my Uncle Don Anderson was with them and I spent many happy childhood days with him seeing the ships both in Liverpool and Birkenhead. I also got to meet a few of the Captains, Captain Large,and Capt Di Williams spring to mind.

I have photos of four of my ships and will hopefully post them on this site in the near future. I will also try and find some History of the Line.

Kind regards

Santos

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
16th March 2005, 21:15
Blue Funnel is all up on the web. Go to www.merchantnavyofficers.com and the History and scroll down. There are many many pictures including the Automedon Story and Chilean Reefer.

Have fun.

John

Santos
16th March 2005, 21:18
Capt Bax,

There is a list of Lamport Ships at the below site which I hope will be of help. I sailed on the Raphael, Ronsard, Rubens( photos of all there ) and Sheridan ( no photo I am afraid, but sister of the Spencer of which there is a photo )

http://www.bluestarline.org/lamports/ships_lamport.html

Kind regards

Santos.

Capt.John Bax. Ret.
16th March 2005, 21:21
Great. Thanks. keep them coming, they will all be stored away for future use and credits given as and if known.

John

tell
17th March 2005, 03:23
Hi Santos I sailed in the Raphael in 1955 do you ever remember a donkeyman in her called Peter Rice, he was one great shipmate, he was a very good singer, Bing Crosby style he was offered a singing job in Recife by the local radio station. we had a Chief steward we called Captain Marvel, the skippers' name was Griffiths Tell

Santos
17th March 2005, 21:39
Hi Tell,

I was on the Raphael in 1966.

I dont remember anyone called Peter Rice, the Chief Steward was called Deary, the Skipper was Capt Williams previous to that was Capt Legge. The Bosun was Bob Welsh.

Santos

Doug H
19th March 2005, 11:38
Cap'n Bax (John): I guess you kinow all about the Blue Funnel page on Ian Coombe's site at mnnostalgia.com but just in case you haven't checked it lately, I suggest you have a look as it is very comprehensive - just click on Blue Funnel down the LHS and you're there> Kind regards, Doug H.

Mike Tiernan
24th June 2005, 03:08
I sailed on the M.V Defoe as an engineer in 1959, well known for her frequent scavenge fires, always made sure all the fire extinguishers were charged before going on watch. Fridge Engineer was named Willy Speer, used to lock the door to the fridge compressor room when the fires started. Transfered to the S.S Hubert 1960.(Can't find her listed among the L & H vessels) Captain was Jackson Wyman R.N.R O.B.E as I recall, carried migrants from Lisbon to Brazil via the West Indies, to Belem then up river to Manaus. On the return trip carried West Indian migrants from Barbados to the U.K, as well as plenty of 'nuts'.
Mike Tiernan

Santos
24th June 2005, 21:33
Hi Mike,

There was alot of swapping of ships between Lamports and Booth Line. The Hubert was in fact a Booth Line ship and her details are on the following website :-

http://www.bluestarline.org/booth/hubert4.html

Some nice pics and also her history.

Kind regards

Chris.

Mike Tiernan
25th June 2005, 10:52
Many thanks Chris for the direction to find the details of another great ship, and the unforgetable experience of sailing up the Amazon.
Mike

Santos
26th June 2005, 22:36
Yes Mike, I too went up the Amazon in the Sheridan. I got as far as Manous with that fabulous Opera House.

What fantastic trips, I will remember them forever. Full cargo of logs, loaded straight out of a raft of them floating in the river itself.

It was like travelling back in time. Funny all the little villages with Liverpool names, Everton, Anfield, etc.

Great, great times.

Chris.

john hughes
29th June 2005, 19:49
remember manous well did several trips up the amazon, on the mvdunstan & mvsargent known as hickory boats,went above manous on the sargent thats when i found out about swinging the lead.the trip before i joined the old HILARY she was late leaving manous the river was taking the run off from the ANDEES and she came down at a high rate of knots and ran aground believe passengers were quite happy.