Papayanni ships 1962 to 1965

papayanni
25th June 2007, 19:24
Hi all,
I was an apprentice on the following Papayanni ships from 1962 to 1965:-
1.Almerian (re-named City of Leeds for trip to Borneo under Bucknall flag)
2. Venetian
3. Egyptian (re-named City of Leicester, to Borneo again)
4. Sicilian

Anyone out there who might have pictures of any of these, of might have been there at the same time?

non descript
25th June 2007, 20:45
Papayanni, a nice introductory first posting, well done and a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

baileybloke
25th June 2007, 21:20
Hi Papayanni, welcome to SN. You are several years before my time with Ellermans but I can send you pictures of all your old ships when I get to work tomorrow.

baileybloke
26th June 2007, 09:39
Hi Papayanni,

Your pictures as promised. I hope they bring back some good memories for you.

R58484956
26th June 2007, 14:21
Greetings Papayanni and welcome to SN. enjoy the site and bon voyage.

papayanni
26th June 2007, 15:24
Many thanks!

papayanni
26th June 2007, 15:29
Hi baileybloke,
Thanks so much for the wonderful photos. Amazing how quickly you laid your hands on them. Good memories, for sure, they were interesting times, and all these ships had been sold within months of me leaving Ellerman & Papayanni in 1965, (don't think it was anything I did!), so definitely the end of an era, so I count myself lucky to have been able to sail on ships that were part of an MN which was about to disappear forever.

el_scripto
7th October 2007, 18:59
Hi all,
I was an apprentice on the following Papayanni ships from 1962 to 1965:-
1.Almerian (re-named City of Leeds for trip to Borneo under Bucknall flag)
2. Venetian
3. Egyptian (re-named City of Leicester, to Borneo again)
4. Sicilian

Anyone out there who might have pictures of any of these, of might have been there at the same time?

Hi Papayanni and all,
I joined the Anatolian in 1963, just as she changed to the City of Durham for the Borneo trade and stayed with her for about 12 months before I moved over to E&B as a writer. I guess the Papayanni ships were just the right size to get up those rivers. I remember we mostly carried NAAFI stores out for the troops fighting the communist infiltrators coming up from Indonesia. I especially remember two hovercraft that we dropped off at Labuan, ideal for chasing communists through the mangroves but they were so noisy they could probably be heard in Sydney. I also remember the copra bugs that came aboard at Zamboawanga, they got everywhere, I heard that they caused a walk-out at the laundry when we got back to the West India dock.
Fantastic times, Tiger beer and Chillie prawns in Kuching.
I still have a City of Durham ships bell, courtesy of 2nd Engineer, Tom Steel.

papayanni
1st November 2007, 21:41
Hi el_scripto,

Thanks for the memories! Yes, at 3,500 tons we were small enough to load European ports and go 100 miles up river in Borneo without transhipping in Singapore.

Trouble was the ships were not really designed for it, so keeping cool and getting cold water to drink was a problem.

But, hey, that was worth it to see Borneo appearing over the horizon on a perfect far eastern dawn! Yes, great times in Kuching, (I also remember something called Steamboat, a big circular stew?). Also the bars in Labuan and Jesselton, with all the old colonial types hanging out there.

Yes, we shipped stuff for the forces, and brought back rubber and timber. Timber loaded up river from rafts at Tanjong Mani. Where the enourmous bugs came aboard if I remember. One awful memory which will always stay with me was acidentally dropping the keys to the mail safe over the side whilst waiting for the 1st mate to arrive to supervise mail unloading! (In mitigation, I was 17!). But the language! Shocking!

My next trip was back to the Meddie, a port every 2 days or so, great fun and plenty of opportunity for Aprrentices to practice coastal navigation, take the wheel in and out of port, etc. Even today I can impress people by the number of ports I know in that relatively small sea!

ken bolton
11th February 2008, 18:17
(Thumb) Hi Papayanni I was EDH on the Venetian from 22/2/63 until 11/7/63 three 6week trips mainly Hiafa for fruit great trips good runs ashore regards Ken

Bill Davies
11th February 2008, 18:56
Does the name Jimmy Hughes, Bosun ring a bell to any of you EP men

bobajobbob
2nd April 2008, 12:32
Hi Papayanni
I sailed with slap happy pap? what a magic time I had with them around the Med and the tune we like at that time was we'e all going on a summer holiday and it was just like that.I was so happy with this ship "Patrician" until we got to Gib to take on bunkers. Came out from Gib and collied with a liberty ship the "US Santa Emila" Then sea time was never the same

theaskew
2nd April 2008, 19:16
Hi Papayanni
Joined SS Ionian in Hull (sos)1957.Sailed round the MED,
pay off in Liverpool
Regards Artie

RayJordandpo
4th April 2008, 09:50
I was on the 'Anatolian' The old man was Paddy Mansfield

harvey19a
13th April 2008, 09:22
Anyone remember Richie Niven, or Tony Lavis-Jones, from the late 60's / early 70's - also a Capt. Gardner (Hoppity) ??

taxi-man
14th April 2008, 07:51
Hi harvey, I did a coast with Richie Niven in early 1974, on the City of Wellington, a real character. I met Tony Lavis-Jones down here in Holyhead, I think he ended up as Mate/Master on the ferries here, regards T-M.

papayanni
26th April 2008, 16:48
Hi Ken Bolton,
Re:- Venetian
Sorry for delay in replying, I have finally found my diary again!
We were definitely on the Venetian at the same time! I joined for the third of your 3 trips.
I joined on 27 May 1963 in South 1 Alexandria Dock, Liverpool. My diary tells me we then had a very typical Papayanni trip, as follows:- Marseilles (3 June), Genoa, (10 days here, 6 June to 17 June...due to a dockers strike so lots of good runs ashore here until the money ran out! I particularly remember the Black Cat Club on the Barbary Coast), La Spezia (17 june), Leghorn (22 june), Naples (26 June), Oran (1 July), Cartagena (3 July), arriving back at liverpool 11 July.
I then stayed on the Venetian until March '64, for about five more trips, including the annual visit to Jaffa & Haifa for oranges. The Venetain was a very happy ship, if I remember rightly.

papayanni
26th April 2008, 16:56
Hi Bobabjobbob,
Wow, you were on the Patrician on the fateful day! All Papayanni people remember that day very well, of course. Monday 8 July 1963? The news flashed round the fleet. We were not far away on the Venetian. We had passed Gib on 4 July heading for Liverpool.
Was your collision in fog? You obviously got off ok, but if I remember right, the old Man and the 1st Mate both were lost?
Fortunately the Meddie trips were mostly ok, as you say.. yes a bit like a long summer holiday! But it was a bit harder when they sent us to Borneo on the same ships!

el_scripto
22nd July 2008, 15:07
I was on the 'Anatolian' The old man was Paddy Mansfield

I remember Captain Paddy Mansfield, a real gentleman. One day he called me up to say what a good job I had done bringing a shine back to our brass ports. Another time he suddenly appeared in the doorway of the galley to ask me what time we were going to leave port. I was peeling spuds at the time!
To my everlasting shame I gave him no alternative but to dock me a days pay for holding up the ship in Alexandria. I had to leap for the Jacobs ladder as the ship was moving away, another close call.

el_scripto

ecogzie
26th January 2009, 22:41
i WOULD BE GRATEFUL ANY INFO ON THE SICILIAN Idid a few trips on her in the early sixties as 4th e/o I think Kev Hines was the second ans a ?o'connor was the third The "nd was on the one that went down off Gib
1 trip to borneo "city of peterbough" natural draft great wwhen we got into the gulf after suez,but those Meddie trips Bliss

philshimmin
2nd February 2009, 19:54
I was 3/eng Athenian..I think the chief was Stan Kettely.. what a great time. once work was done for the day we had to play 3 and in on the quay side, with Stan in goal....Haifa, Ashdod, Malta, Thesalonica,Athens, Cyprus, wherever we were the workday ended with a game, Happy Pappis, as Pappayani said ..like a summer holiday.

philshimmin
2nd February 2009, 19:59
I forgot to mention that the feeding was "board of trade rate"..this meant that the cook had his work cut out. On Athenian the grub was great, especially the curries.

papayanni
9th April 2009, 18:57
I was on the Sicilian for her last trip under the Ellerman flag prior to being sold... this was September to November 1964. All I remember is that she was a very sad ship by then...neglected, rusty, and crowd morale seemed to be low. This was not helped at all by the Old Man seeming to be almost permanently half drunk! I can't remember his name but he definitely seemed to have lost interest!

john boys
2nd September 2009, 22:16
I was on the Sicilian for her last trip under the Ellerman flag prior to being sold... this was September to November 1964. All I remember is that she was a very sad ship by then...neglected, rusty, and crowd morale seemed to be low. This was not helped at all by the Old Man seeming to be almost permanently half drunk! I can't remember his name but he definitely seemed to have lost interest!
HI to all you Papayanni m.n seaman anybody sail on the Mercian or Lucian on the Lucion from MAR 61 TO MAY 64 when she was sold, was bosun on her .we shipped out of London to Oporto 3week trips what times we had captian was a MR Leatherbarrow

price
3rd September 2009, 16:48
HI to all you Papayanni m.n seaman anybody sail on the Mercian or Lucian on the Lucion from MAR 61 TO MAY 64 when she was sold, was bosun on her .we shipped out of London to Oporto 3week trips what times we had captian was a MR Leatherbarrow

Hello John; I remember you well, I sailed on the Lucian from Sept. 63 until her sale in May 64. Yes I remember Capt. Leatherbarrow and the dog Patch who, I believe ended up in the Capts house in Southend, I remember Frank the chippy and many other others whos names escape me now. How about the football team and when we were thrashed by a team of youngsters, not knowing at the time that they were part of Sporting Club Oporto.
Bruce.

chadburn
4th September 2009, 13:55
Is there a source for the wartime history of E&P as I am interested in the story of a chap with the surname of Newton who was awarded the B.E.M. for saving some of his crew mates after their vessel was sunk, if I remember correctly the story appeared in the "Victor" comic which ran a series on wartime Heroes in the early 1950's

john boys
5th September 2009, 23:00
Hello John; I remember you well, I sailed on the Lucian from Sept. 63 until her sale in May 64. Yes I remember Capt. Leatherbarrow and the dog Patch who, I believe ended up in the Capts house in Southend, I remember Frank the chippy and many other others whos names escape me now. How about the football team and when we were thrashed by a team of youngsters, not knowing at the time that they were part of Sporting Club Oporto.
Bruce.

hi bruce nice to hear from you refresh my memory you on deck ,great times they where, after that football the old chief eng. trying to get over the door way being stiff, when we paid off I finshed with the M.N.it was a sad day where do you live, I live in Brighton, like to get in touch got a phone no,
hope to hear from you again

price
6th September 2009, 15:53
hi bruce nice to hear from you refresh my memory you on deck ,great times they where, after that football the old chief eng. trying to get over the door way being stiff, when we paid off I finshed with the M.N.it was a sad day where do you live, I live in Brighton, like to get in touch got a phone no,
hope to hear from you again

Hello John; I will send you a private message, probably not today, a bit busy just now.
Bruce.

john boys
6th September 2009, 20:58
Hello John; I will send you a private message, probably not today, a bit busy just now.
Bruce.

hi bruce look forward to it nice to be in touch
john

SPEAKO
3rd February 2013, 01:21
Anyone remember Richie Niven, or Tony Lavis-Jones, from the late 60's / early 70's - also a Capt. Gardner (Hoppity) ??

Saled with Anthony Lavis-Jones 1960 on PANDORIAN as Apprentices London-Walvis Bay twice. Lost him afterwards though.

el_scripto
21st July 2013, 19:53
Just watched a very nice pre-war propaganda movie on Youtube, its called
SS Ionian "If war should come..." (1939)
I know it pre dates most of us but looking at the ship board practices it could easily have been the sixties. Definately worth a look.

jIMMYden
10th September 2013, 16:51
hi I Was The Galley Boy On The VENETIAN Out Of Liverpool 12/07/63 To09/09/63 Happy Ship JIMMY LIVERPOOL