What was your favourite Blue Flu'/Glen Line & Why?

Trevorw
26th June 2007, 23:22
Can't let Brocks get away with their claim Come on all you ex China Boat men (and never mind Ben Line!)!!!

Mine was "Glenfalloch" - fast, great looking - the modern day equivalent of the "Cutty Sark"!!

rothesian
27th June 2007, 01:35
Theseus - very happy ship on the Aussie run

makko
27th June 2007, 02:37
To me it was a dream come true to sail on a Super "P", albeit, the last trip for the Phrontis. However, I got to do a traditional China Boat run.

My favourite (that I sailed on) was the Barber Priam (Mk1 RoRo). Great trips, a lot of work and a great crowd. It was really the transition between break bulk and containers. And fast too, 21 Kts, once 28+ going up with the Gulfstream!

Why is this in the Brocks forum?

Rgds.

Dave

cheddarnibbles
27th June 2007, 09:37
AGAMEMNON (as pictured in my gallery) . Six months on The Straits to Aussie run via Thursday Island.........a truly great experience , never to be forgotten.

mahseer1
27th June 2007, 10:36
Great to see that Blue Funnel and Glen Line men are using the Brock forum and enhancing its already great reputation. I have to admit that they were the greatest ships of their day and I envy the structured training that was given to deck apprentices/middies.

Fairfield
27th June 2007, 11:27
GLENFALLOCH, as I saw over her at the Fairfield yard prior to trials. I was a potential Glen Deck Cadet. I was only 15 but the courtesies I got from the staff at the yard wouldn't have disgraced Royalty. I even got a second shot because the Engine Room on my first visit was out of bounds for Basin testing! Great days.

raypawlowski
27th June 2007, 12:54
Glenlyon, good looking ship, fast, good crew, so good I sighned on for six concecutive trips

Fairfield
27th June 2007, 13:11
Indeed- a great class. I believe they were to get the new style of funnel but this was shelved as a mark of respect for I think a marine architect who has passed on. The new style funnel was first aired on CENTAUR and then of course on the Super P's.

allan besant
27th June 2007, 13:19
Menesteus, Did two trips on her when she was nearly new. Lovely ship and a great crowd very happy ship.--------Allan

Philthechill
27th June 2007, 23:28
Salaams to all you "Blue-Flue" blokes who have come onto Brock's site to extol the virtues of your classic-looking ships. I think the "Blue-Flue" vessels were the finest-looking ships, EVER, in the MN! With those massive upright funnels they looked the absolute bees-knees! However (there's always a "However" to any bit of praise isn't there?) the one thing about "Blue-Flue" that really used to p**s me off, when we were alongside in Colombo, at Walkers, was when we engineers were told a "Bluey" was coming in and we had to make a main-steam shift to let them take our berth to load coconut oil "as they had priority over any other ship". This would entail starting watches 24 hours before the shift off the quay. The ship would be eased-off the berth by those massive steam tugs "Hercules" and "Goliath" and, to justify raising main steam, we would get a "Dead Slow Ahead/Stop!" on the telegraph. The Mate would drop the hook and we would get "Finished With Engines" but stay on watches until the "Bluey" buggered-off. We would then get "Stand By". "Hercules" and "Goliath" would do their stuff getting us alongside and, just before "Finished With Engines" was rung, we would get another "Dead Slow Ahead/Stop". Two minutes later we would get "Finished With Engines" and we could shut down and return to our day work routine! This caper would ALWAYS happen on a Sunday and confirmed the old saying, "Six days shalt thou labour and, on the seventh, thou shalt shift ship". Not an endearing exercise but, after 40-odd years, I've finally decided to forgive you guys!!!! Salaams! Phil Roe